Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 11:40:17 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: With Gold & Silver tumbling, will investors seek out Bitcoin as a hedge?  (Read 2888 times)
Phinnaeus Gage (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 06:44:58 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2013/06/26/gold-plunged-to-three-year-low/2460251/

The price of gold Wednesday fell up to 4.2% to $1,224.18 an ounce, the lowest level since Aug. 24, 2010, says Bloomberg News. Gold is down roughly 23% this quarter, positioning the metal for its largest quarterly loss since 1920. Meanwhile, the price of silver is down to its lowest levels since August 2010. Wednesday, silver fell as much as 4.7% to $18.64 an ounce.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
superresistant
Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1120

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 06:52:50 PM

It would be fucked up to seriously invest in bitcoins
mupartee

Activity: 26
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:03:39 PM

why? sure it has no guarantee and many obstacles to overcome if it wants longevity and adoption by more users (and governments) but nothing has a guarantee, as gold/silver is proving right now. I bought silver at $40/ounce three years ago when it was "the sure bet" and now I have less than half of my wealth. And I did that as a way to find a safe haven for a 12k investment that was salvaged from a failing IRA that had an original investment of 14k...

The majority of BTC investors bought BTC below its current price, and of all the options on the table, its appreciation since its inception and or any time prior to 6 months ago has outpaced all other options...
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:28:57 PM

why? sure it has no guarantee and many obstacles to overcome if it wants longevity and adoption by more users (and governments) but nothing has a guarantee, as gold/silver is proving right now. I bought silver at $40/ounce three years ago when it was "the sure bet" and now I have less than half of my wealth. And I did that as a way to find a safe haven for a 12k investment that was salvaged from a failing IRA that had an original investment of 14k...

The majority of BTC investors bought BTC below its current price, and of all the options on the table, its appreciation since its inception and or any time prior to 6 months ago has outpaced all other options...

Well if gold and silver investment can fail despite all predictions, imagine what can happen to Bitcoin...
bitrebel

Activity: 364
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:33:04 PM

Well if gold and silver investment can fail despite all predictions, imagine what can happen to Bitcoin...

Gold and Silver are being suppressed artificially, by the bankers. Rothschilds set the rate daily, in London.
Bitcoins are not manipulated like this.

Neither would be the safest investment. But both are worthy investment gambles as anything else.

Why does Bitrebel have 65+ Ignores?
Because Bitrebel says things that some people do not want YOU to hear.
exogan

Activity: 32

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:35:10 PM

Gold and Silver are being suppressed artificially, by the bankers. Rothschilds set the rate daily, in London.

Neither would be the safest investment. But both are worthy investment gambles as anything else.

What is the reason for the bankers to suppress gold and silver?
RodeoX
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147

The revolution will be monetized!

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:41:03 PM

Reading that makes me more likely to trade BTC for gold. I buy when the market tanks and sell when it soars. I divested of it a few months back when it was clearly at a silly high.

Perhaps it is time to buy back in. Hmmm.  Smiley

The gospel according to Satoshi - https://bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
Free bitcoin in ? - Stay tuned for this years Bitcoin hunt!
bitrebel

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:41:15 PM

All of the Patriots and Gold Bugs and Survivalists that stocked up in the last 4 years as prices rose, are not in the hole hundreds, and thousands, and hundreds of thousands of dollars per person who invested. They have to be hit hard to keep the NWO going. If those who bought and stocked up are allowed to increase their wealth, then that is power for the resistance to the central banking and power scheme. The metals market will be hit very hard before the crackdown, with NDAA, and then, sometime as people realize the extent of the collapse, prices will shoot up very high to where they should be, but by then, all the survivalists will have sold for less, to buy food and other supplies, and they no longer hold it in their hands. That's the plan, I believe.

bitrebel

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:41:52 PM

Reading that makes me more likely to trade BTC for gold. I buy when the market tanks and sell when it soars. I divested of it a few months back when it was clearly at a silly high.

It's predicted it will fall to around $1000, so hold on before you buy.

Technomage
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1056

Affordable Physical Bitcoins - Denarium.com

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 07:43:50 PM

I see this as a good opportunity to buy gold & silver. Too bad I'm long term on them just as much as I am with Bitcoin. So I'm watching from the sidelines.

Denarium closing sale discounts now up to 43%! Check out our products from here!
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:48:31 PM

its a good opportunity to invest in silver and gold since the prices are low but i honestly stopped investing in them since i heard of bitcoin, i much rather invest in bitcoin where it has the chance to change the world and become a worldwide currency that can be used anywhere. Unlike gold and silver where no one is going to carry them around anymore because of its bulkiness.
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 07:55:08 PM

its a good opportunity to invest in silver and gold since the prices are low but i honestly stopped investing in them since i heard of bitcoin, i much rather invest in bitcoin where it has the chance to change the world and become a worldwide currency that can be used anywhere. Unlike gold and silver where no one is going to carry them around anymore because of its bulkiness.

That's sound more like a reason to invest in Bitcoin.
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 08:32:21 PM

I tend to think they will.

Where else will they run to get good gains? The miners? lol

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

nameface

Merit: 250

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 09:27:51 PM

The silver market is estimated at 80X Bitoin's. If 1% of the silver money went to Bitcoin, it would cause a huge uptick in the price.
Big paper silver market manipulators probably don't have Bitcoin on their radar because it's small potatoes.
And I bet only a tiny % of the average silver investor would consider Bitcoin because they are old school hard asset people.

I wonder how big 5% of the casual silver investor market is?
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
June 26, 2013, 09:45:11 PM

To put it simply without the crazy bullshit, it makes the people in power look good, because gold and silver is often used as a way of measuring inflation it would make sense to keep the prices low, that way people are supposed to think there's nothing wrong with paper money and it's doing fine, then of course Bitcoin comes along and fucks up that whole illusion Cheesy I think this is just a normal price correction though, people will be selling off etc. in preparation for the next collapse and yes, I do think one is coming soon because this is what happened the last time and the media was in complete denial back then too.
Vince Torres

Activity: 337

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:20:01 PM

If you can't handle a 50% loss in an investment you may as well not invest. Quoted from Warren Buffet, paraphrased by me.

Namecoin.com .bit domain registrar. Register a new .bit domain for just $1!
BTC: 1LpKzg24NHmrxLZbnVphcstV3s7uA8cSnT
LTC: LWHswCFRPouCXTNiT8B9HUVnGrae9eojVg
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:46:33 PM

No, the average investor will not hedge with Bitcoin.  The poor economic data that came out means the Fed is likely to keep printing.  If the Fed prints, yields go down and price goes up, so the hedge for a traditional investor is treasuries and equities.

Obviously we investors here are a different story but we make up only a fraction of the populace.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
bitrebel

View Profile
June 26, 2013, 10:53:25 PM

No, the average investor will not hedge with Bitcoin.  The poor economic data that came out means the Fed is likely to keep printing.  If the Fed prints, yields go down and price goes up, so the hedge for a traditional investor is treasuries and equities.

Obviously we investors here are a different story but we make up only a fraction of the populace.

You cannot print your way out of a paper bubble, without making the bubble that much more explosive.

ShroomsKit

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 12:50:55 AM

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/markets/2013/06/26/gold-plunged-to-three-year-low/2460251/

The price of gold Wednesday fell up to 4.2% to $1,224.18 an ounce, the lowest level since Aug. 24, 2010, says Bloomberg News. Gold is down roughly 23% this quarter, positioning the metal for its largest quarterly loss since 1920. Meanwhile, the price of silver is down to its lowest levels since August 2010. Wednesday, silver fell as much as 4.7% to $18.64 an ounce.

No.

Its price is not a very relevant factor in its adoption....
CurbsideProphet

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:14:58 AM

You cannot print your way out of a paper bubble, without making the bubble that much more explosive.

What does that have anything to do with what I said?

nameface

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:52:33 AM

Gold is down roughly 23% this quarter, positioning the metal for its largest quarterly loss since 1920.
harsh  Shocked
sickpig
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 09:00:11 AM

It's predicted it will fall to around $1000, so hold on before you buy.

do you have any source to back this claim? just corious

Bitcoin is a participatory system which ought to respect the right of self determinism of all of its users - Gregory Maxwell.
superresistant
Legendary

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:36:29 PM

Do you guys know a way of exchanging directly gold <---> bitcoins ?
nameface

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 02:57:26 PM

Do you guys know a way of exchanging directly gold <---> bitcoins ?
In Downtown Toronto -> http://www.xagau.com/jada/web/fe/default/English/home
This business seems to have a good rep, but the rates aren't great: http://www.coinabul.com/
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:18:02 PM

Wow that xagau place only wants 50% more than the going rate! Deal!
nameface

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:15:15 AM

BAHAHA You're right! That's gross.
But I know the business operator, I vouch for him. He doesn't do business through the website. If you show up here: http://www.xagau.com/jada/web/fe/default/English/content/Contact+Us He will buy and sell gold, silver, bitcoins, wtvr, at very fair prices.
legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 04:57:17 AM

Its only logical they would, as Bitcoin can return far larger profits then Gold or Silver in the short term and long term.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:33:49 PM

BAHAHA You're right! That's gross.
But I know the business operator, I vouch for him. He doesn't do business through the website.

Well that's not exactly a surprise  Roll Eyes

Coinabul on the other hand actually has decent rates Listed. For small purchases, it actually looks cheaper than converting to fiat and buying from a more local source.  Haven't tried them yet.

I'll try contacting xagau  as I'd rather deal in Canada if its not significantly more expensive.
fenican

Activity: 1394
Merit: 505

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 07:52:30 PM

Despite all predictions?  Most mainstream economists were calling Gold and Silver a bubble years ago.  If you overlay Gold 2008 - 2013 over the 1920's stock market or 2000-2006 housing market you will see exactly the same pattern.  Obviously got way ahead of itself due to speculation and was overdue for a very severe pullback.

Any rational student of economics also knew two things in 2009.  (1) The risk was Deflation not Inflation and (2) The Federal Reserve played it way too tight.  They could have printed seven times as much money as they did, ignited a recovery years earlier, and still not triggered any kind of inflation.

Gold Bugs are now being taught a bitter lesson in economics.  It's a worthless yellow metal, manipulated by speculators, playing on irrational fear, that lands you in the poor house over long periods of time since it can barely even keep place with inflation.
QuantPlus

Activity: 280

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:12:34 PM

And I bet only a tiny % of the average silver investor would consider Bitcoin because they are old school hard asset people.

This.

PM and BTC enthusiasts should be Fellow Travellers...
But because PM investors are Old School "I wanna feel the weight in my hand" types...
There is actual hostility towards Bitcoin over there...
Just read the comments at ZH.
axilla

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 01:45:31 AM

amagimetals seems to have the best prices i've found for gold <---> bitcoins

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
TheShape

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 02:53:01 AM

I also see this as a good time to buy Gold.
The recent trend has been far from pretty, but if you are holding on for the long term the extra pick ups along the way here could be quite enjoyable.
axilla

Activity: 217
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 01:57:02 PM

i've been buying silver anytime it falls below $20..

Growth-O-Matic Grow your business, and increase brand awareness | While everyone else delivers your news to the wire, hoping it gets picked up, we put your press release in front of the eyes of the top bloggers, writers, and decision makers in your industry.
CurbsideProphet

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:03:35 PM

What you usually see quoted is the price of paper gold which is heavily manipulated and means nothing. There is huge demand for physical gold if you can find it. Only a matter of time when comex dafaults.

I can easily find physical gold and silver at reasonable prices over spot.  It may be difficult to find a specific type of bullion but gold is gold and bullion carries next to no numismatic value so it shouldn't matter in what form or smelter it comes from as long as they are recognized and reputable.   

tclo

Activity: 518

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:39:40 PM

I"m sure this has been mentioned above but hte price of bitcoin is tumbling too.
BitcoinAshley

Activity: 448

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 12:25:59 AM

With gold, silver, AND bitcoin tumbling, along with stocks and bonds, will investors seek out USD as a hedge?

Sadly, yes. The problem is, we won't get much warning when the USD sees its dying days. Well, those of us who know what's up will see it coming miles away, and everyone else will be like "[Insert famous last words here]"
byronbb
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000

HODL OR DIE

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 12:37:17 AM

Interesting to see inflation adjusted gold converging to actual price.

Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: