Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 08:16:36 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Bitcoin legally a Currency?  (Read 3913 times)
BitcoinBarrel (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1961
Merit: 1020

Fill Your Barrel with Bitcoins!

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 01:16:36 PM

I just don't get it.... why people are getting into legal trouble with Bitcoin. How can they say you need a Money transmitter license for Bitcoin? What is the difference between Bitcoin and Swagbucks or XBox points? To me it's just a digital product with no need for Government regulation at all.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitcoinBarrel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 27, 2013, 04:00:28 PM

And I don't want to hear about that "Cash equivalent" nonsense. Every THING is a cash equivalent.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 04:21:15 PM

TL;DR: yes.
It is a virtual currency as defined by by FinCen.  The reason it was defined as such is FinCen wanted control over it.  By virtue of being defined as currency, presently FinCen does.  The exactingly codified body of law exists to avoid ambiguity & need of deferral to "common sense."  If you disagree with the law, you can disobey it or work to change it.  If you choose the latter, appealing to logic & analogies usually ends in tears & fail.
giantdragon
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1002

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:16:10 PM

It is a virtual currency as defined by by FinCen.  The reason it was defined as such is FinCen wanted control over it.  By virtue of being defined as currency, presently FinCen does.  The exactingly codified body of law exists to avoid ambiguity & need of deferral to "common sense."  If you disagree with the law, you can disobey it or work to change it.  If you choose the latter, appealing to logic & analogies usually ends in tears & fail.
Fortunately U.S. is not the single country on the Earth! Grin
MSantori

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:39:19 PM

FinCen has chosen to - practically speaking - disregard any differences between virtual currency and fiat.  With very few exceptions, if your business would be a money transmitter for its use of fiat, it is a money transmitter for its use of BTC, LTC, etc.

Marco Santori is a lawyer, but not your lawyer, and this is not legal advice.  If you do have specific questions, though, please don't hesitate to PM me.  We've learned this forum isn't 100% secure, so you might prefer to email me.  Maybe I can help!  Depending upon your jurisdiction, this post might be construed as attorney advertising, so: attorney advertising Smiley
Book

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:41:56 PM

It is a virtual currency as defined by by FinCen.  The reason it was defined as such is FinCen wanted control over it.  By virtue of being defined as currency, presently FinCen does.  The exactingly codified body of law exists to avoid ambiguity & need of deferral to "common sense."  If you disagree with the law, you can disobey it or work to change it.  If you choose the latter, appealing to logic & analogies usually ends in tears & fail.
Fortunately U.S. is not the single country on the Earth! Grin
Amen to that. If I lived in the US right now I would be pretty intent on getting the hell out of there. And I'm not saying anything against the people, I am talking about the government.
Kettenmonster

Activity: 420
Merit: 250

bool eval(bool b){return b ? b==true : b==false;}

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:59:51 PM

So bitcoin is considered a currency? That is good news, I suppose!

The paining (sic!) is done with the QPainter class inside the paintEvent() method.
(source: my internet)
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:33:21 AM

I just don't get it.... why people are getting into legal trouble with Bitcoin. How can they say you need a Money transmitter license for Bitcoin? What is the difference between Bitcoin and Swagbucks or XBox points? To me it's just a digital product with no need for Government regulation at all.

Fiat in, fiat out. There is your simple answer..
BitcoinBarrel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 08:05:16 PM

c. De-Centralized Virtual Currencies

A final type of convertible virtual currency activity involves a de-centralized convertible virtual currency (1) that has no central repository and no single administrator, and (2) that persons may obtain by their own computing or manufacturing effort.

A person that creates units of this convertible virtual currency and uses it to purchase real or virtual goods and services is a user of the convertible virtual currency and not subject to regulation as a money transmitter. By contrast, a person that creates units of convertible virtual currency and sells those units to another person for real currency or its equivalent is engaged in transmission to another location and is a money transmitter. In addition, a person is an exchanger and a money transmitter if the person accepts such de-centralized convertible virtual currency from one person and transmits it to another person as part of the acceptance and transfer of currency, funds, or other value that substitutes for currency.

From http://fincen.gov/statutes_regs/guidance/html/FIN-2013-G001.html

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀
  ▀██████████████████
    ▀▀████████████▀▀

rayfloyd

Activity: 140

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 05:42:22 PM

Buy unusual hat (TF2) with USD, sell unusual hat.

Everything can be defined as "Fiat in, fiat out" as soon as it have a value.

bassjoe

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 08:46:31 PM

That is WAY oversimplified. If that was the case, then PayPal would not need to be licensed. Same with MoneyGram, Western Union, Square, etc. Using fiat has nothing to do with it.
crumbs

Activity: 210

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:23:45 PM

good morning, Expanding demand and growing widespread adoption has forced the hand of regulators. Bitcoin is defined as an open sourced project which presents a number of challenges and opportunities. We are working around the clock to address many of these issues especially relating to the blockchain integrity. If you have any questions i'd be more than happy to answer them for you.. Ira

Who are you Huh
Vivisector999

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:29:26 PM

Unlike Xbox points, you can take your Crypto coins and convert them back into Fiat.  This is the reason the US gov't has a target on everything crypto at the moment.  All Crypto currency is atm, is a means to digitally transmit Fiat.  It may in time grow to become something more.  Which is the main reason I am here, not to make money, but would be awesome to be in on something as it is coming out of creation.

And doesn't matter what country in the world you are in (aside from maybe North Korea).  Once they put the label that Crypto coins are being used by terrorists to transfer funds, they pretty much will attack cryptocurrencies in no matter what country you happen to be doing business.

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:30:29 PM

good morning, Expanding demand and growing widespread adoption has forced the hand of regulators. Bitcoin is defined as an open sourced project which presents a number of challenges and opportunities. We are working around the clock to address many of these issues especially relating to the blockchain integrity. If you have any questions i'd be more than happy to answer them for you.. Ira

Who are you Huh

My bet is that he is Dank.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
Vivisector999

Activity: 541
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 04:46:11 PM

That is WAY oversimplified. If that was the case, then PayPal would not need to be licensed. Same with MoneyGram, Western Union, Square, etc. Using fiat has nothing to do with it.

That's the problem.  All those other companies you mention are licensed, and follow strict gov't guidelines when it comes to anonymity to those transferring large amounts (Over $10,000).  There have been a few Bitcoin companies that went legit/are going legit, so you won't have any more problems using them legally then you would using PayPal.  But the Cryptocurrency users have been nailing these companies in the forums, and stop doing business with them as using them is "The reason they use Cryptocurrency in the first place for complete anonymity"  MtGox is I believe currently going down the route of going legit.  It's not hard to find posts on this forum nailing them for doing so.

Check out AC3  @ https://ac3.io/
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 05:13:10 PM

Who are you Huh

good day, check out the projects we are working on. Happy to help anyway I can..Ira

Welcome aboard, good to see you here.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
dwolfman

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 07:25:40 PM

Who are you Huh

good day, check out the projects we are working on. Happy to help anyway I can..Ira

And I'm still stuck on the "who are you" part.  Who is this "we" you keep referring to?

Looked through the link in your profile, but did not see your name anywhere on that website, unless your profile name is not your real name.  Keep in mind that this community is VERY skeptical of newbies since they tend to turn out to be scammers more often lately.

Wanna send coins my way? 1BY2rZduB9j8Exa4158QXPFJoJ2NWU1NGf or just scan the QR code in my avatar.  :-)
NewLiberty
Legendary

Activity: 1204

Gresham's Lawyer

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 07:33:08 PM

Who are you Huh

And I'm still stuck on the "who are you" part.  Who is this "we" you keep referring to?

Looked through the link in your profile, but did not see your name anywhere on that website, unless your profile name is not your real name.  Keep in mind that this community is VERY skeptical of newbies since they tend to turn out to be scammers more often lately.

If he is who he appears to be, he's one of our heroes.
Or at least for those of us old enough to remember BITNET.
My former company, Infonet, was also a founding member of the Internet Society.
So, either he's one of the good guys, or wearing the mask of one.

FREE MONEY1 Bitcoin for Silver and Gold NewLibertyDollar.com and now BITCOIN SPECIE (silver 1 ozt) shows value by QR
Bulk premiums as low as .0012 BTC "BETTER, MORE COLLECTIBLE, AND CHEAPER THAN SILVER EAGLES" 1Free of Government
dwolfman

Activity: 224

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 07:35:59 PM

If he is who he appears to be, he's one of our heroes.
Or at least for those of us old enough to remember BITNET.

Still, I found the exact picture used in the profile in a Google Images search.  This forum doesn't verify you are who you say you are when you sign up.

Plus it's unusual for someone to actually use their real name.

Wanna send coins my way? 1BY2rZduB9j8Exa4158QXPFJoJ2NWU1NGf or just scan the QR code in my avatar.  :-)
BitcoinBarrel (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 06, 2013, 07:39:28 PM

The thing is, just because Bitcoin is popular is no reason to start forcing regulation on a digital commodity. Bitcoin is essentially a number on a computer screen. I can write a number on a piece of paper and sell it to you for $500. It's the same thing in my opinion.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
     ▄██████████████▄
   ▄█████████████████▌
  ▐███████████████████▌
 ▄█████████████████████▄
 ███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
▐███████████████████████
 ██████████████████████▀
 ▀████████████████████▀