Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 05:19:42 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do we need a new forum?
No, I love it here it is so professional and the mods really seem helpful - 22 (9.1%)
Yes, this site doesn't even have a privacy policy - 11 (4.5%)
No Way, where would I go to scam people? - 3 (1.2%)
Yes, It is offensive that BFL advertises here - 16 (6.6%)
No way, where would I buy my illegal securities? - 2 (0.8%)
Yes, I do not like that Tradefortress runs an illegal bank here - 4 (1.7%)
No, I like that I can come to this site and do criminal things - 2 (0.8%)
Yes, I'm sick and tired of the mods not doing anything - 16 (6.6%)
No, I like that they hold 6000 BTC from the community and still allow scamming - 13 (5.4%)
But then I couldn't buy my drugs anymore - 1 (0.4%)
What? Where would we go? - 15 (6.2%)
If you don't ban Viceroy I'll just scream - 35 (14.5%)
Yes - 55 (22.7%)
No - 47 (19.4%)
Total Voters: 242

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking a team to develop Bitcointalk 2.0 forums (apply within)  (Read 23467 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:32:54 AM

Is there a forum software (like simple machines) which has a module that help to identify and remove sock puppets?

Almost all main forum software (Mybb,Xenforo,IPB,vbulletin) have that plugin.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:17:27 AM

Personally I think litecoin has the power to grow.  I don't think it should be an "alt coin" as much as a different flavor of crypto coin.   
Power to grow or not, it is an altcoin. Period.
Also, if you accept altcoins it won't be 'Bitcointalk 2.0' but 'Cryptocoin 1.0'

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:38:16 AM

Personally I think litecoin has the power to grow.  I don't think it should be an "alt coin" as much as a different flavor of crypto coin.   
Power to grow or not, it is an altcoin. Period.
Also, if you accept altcoins it won't be 'Bitcointalk 2.0' but 'Cryptocoin 1.0'

I support Cryptocoin name.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4110

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:14:41 AM
Last edit: February 13, 2014, 05:44:43 PM by Welsh

This forums either needs to be cleaned up & add more useful features, or we need a new one simple as that. The amount of sock puppets is unbelievable. There's ways to prevent that. Very simple ways too. I know it will only prevent sock puppets but at the moment nothing is being done about it. The new forum would be nice to have a mobile version, eg Tapatalk. Just because I use this forum a lot on my phone in and out of work maybe not the best software to use as I don't like Tapatalk for many reasons.

Obviously have a nice catchy name. Also, pick you're staff wisely. I had to report a mod the other day on the thread that you made. You know who I'm on about the homophobic guy. Turns out he deleted my post after I didn't say anything offensive whatsoever. So pick you're mods wisely.

Also, I think instead of everyone posting "Hi I'm new". Maybe you should just have one thread which covers that. It saves space and people who actually ask questions when they new always get drowned out because of the "Hi I'm new here" threads. Maybe that's why the newbie restrictions are so hated. Don't get me wrong I think the newbie thing is perfect. It prevents people who just register to ask a question from spamming the main threads.

Also, I would have a forum games section. So that would be home to the "Think of the first word that comes to mind" threads. It prevents spamming. Plus it will minimise the mods workload. I have seen these games in Bitcoin discussion & gambling....Yeah gambling.

EDIT: Have a privacy policy. A decent one. The big down fall of this forum is the privacy policy, or the lack of one.
Viceroy (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 11:57:11 AM

Thank you all for your contributions.  This is turning into a great discussion.  I look forward to reading about other things that we could do toward building a better community!

Inedible

Activity: 700

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 01:54:30 PM

This forums either needs to be cleaned up & add more useful features, or we need a new one simple as that. The amount of sock puppets is unbelievable. There's ways to prevent that. Very simple ways too. I know it will only prevent sock puppets but at the moment nothing is being done about it. The new forum would be nice to have a mobile version, eg Tapatalk. Just because I use this forum a lot on my phone in and out of work.

Obviously have a nice catchy name. Also, pick you're staff wisely. I had to report a mod the other day on the thread that you made. You know who I'm on about the homophobic guy. Turns out he deleted my post after I didn't say anything offensive whatsoever. So pick you're mods wisely.

Also, I think instead of everyone posting "Hi I'm new". Maybe you should just have one thread which covers that. It saves space and people who actually ask questions when they new always get drowned out because of the "Hi I'm new here" threads. Maybe that's why the newbie restrictions are so hated. Don't get me wrong I think the newbie thing is perfect. It prevents people who just register to ask a question from spamming the main threads.

Also, I would have a forum games section. So that would be home to the "Think of the first word that comes to mind" threads. It prevents spamming. Plus it will minimise the mods workload. I have seen these games in Bitcoin discussion & gambling....Yeah gambling.

EDIT: Have a privacy policy. A decent one. The big down fall of this forum is the privacy policy, or the lack of one.

These are great points although I'm sure it would be easy to solve the "I'm new here" threads issue.

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 04:57:01 PM

I can see, right away, that this thread needs a secretary.  Anyone want to volunteer to keep all the points straight?  
bassclef

Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:50:48 PM

Preventing sock puppets would be a huge step in the right direction and help to curb the scams.
worldinacoin

Activity: 756

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:50:32 PM

I can see, right away, that this thread needs a secretary.  Anyone want to volunteer to keep all the points straight?  

Is LGBT not allowed? Smiley
simonk83

Activity: 798

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 11:54:08 PM

What would you do different if you were in charge of this forum?

Almost everything Smiley   Count me in for the move, I've been saying this place has gone to the dogs for quite a while now.
nottm28

Activity: 574

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 11:58:03 PM

I'll tell you what I think there should be a policy against sock puppetry. 

There must be a simple machine module that helps identify and prevent sock puppets, yea?  With fewer sock puppets running around I would think it would be much easier to help a person reclaim a hacked account. 

What process have you had to go through to try to reclaim the pizza account? 

+1 - I only have the one account - multiple accounts pisses people off

donations not accepted
Teka

Activity: 840

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 09:30:33 AM

I would be interested in this project. I don't like the fact that if you're high ranking member of this forum you can get away with pretty much anything .
hamiltino

Activity: 644

P2P The Planet!

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 02:18:58 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 06:37:42 PM by hamiltino

You can get the forum up now; figure out appropriate forum boards,  get a few moderators. Workout some forum rules that will differentiate yourself from bitcointalk. Choose the forum software, i recommend phpBB https://www.phpbb.com/

The Original Post should be organized in sections explaining what needs to be done that the community can figure out right now. He then should constantly update the post once he gets more answers/feedback. I don't think calling for help in the air without specifying everything is the most efficient thing to do.

Example:

The amount of Staff required and the prerequisites.
Forum Software.
What boards we should have.
What rules

Specify what you want and you will get answers. Then you should constantly update the OP until you are ready to implement everything.

stacking coin
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:07:50 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 03:50:36 PM by Viceroy

Launching another forum is trivial, that is not the issue.  What we are doing at this point is exploring what exactly needs to be fixed.  If we can identify some major areas for improvement then we can start to address those issues.  Launching a forum today is putting the cart WAY before the horse.

I do like your "main headings" but there is a ton of sub content (rules) that we haven't even discussed yet.  Perhaps you'd like to go through the posts and generate a list of bullet points so we can start to organize this group-think project?  

edit:  thank you for this!

Brand:
 -Cryptocoin or Bitcoin only???
 -Catchy - easy to remember name

Possible Platforms:
     -Discourse
     -Xenforo
     -MyBB
     -SMF

Mandatory Requirements:

Good Design
  - Anonymous or Transparent?
    > what form of company is the forum?
    > what country should the forum be hosted in?
  - The site should be modern
  - Better mobile platform support
     > Tapatalk?
  - Better social media support
     > Integrate with Facebook or other?

Rules:
  - Defined Up Front
     > Terms of Service
     > Privacy Policy
     > Moderation Policy
        o - deleting spam posts
        o - sock puppet ban
        o - bans on users that are obvious scammers
        o - qualifications for perma-ban (what constitutes a ban?)
     > Moderators
        o - volunteed vs paid
        o - how selected
        o - how removed

What should be added or removed to/from this list?

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:52:13 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 04:02:36 PM by jackjack

Be strict about '+1's
Make a popularity count (using very-established users opinions only)
Display posts count+registration date next to avatar
Put posting limits: no more than 1 post per hour (or 2, or 0.5, or whatever you think would fit) during the first week after registration. Then 2p/h during the second, etc.
IMO mobile phone support is not a top priority

Edit1: be clear about the acceptance of altcoins

Edit2: personal opinions
NO social media support!
NO tracking like Google analytics or shit like this at all
Mods paid by users through public donation addresses

Edit3: no ads in signatures allowed
Or if people find this too anti-freedom.of.speech, no colours/glow/big font

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 04:30:15 PM

It would be cool if when you sign up, you also register a Bitcoin address. To modify any  profile settings you must sign a message with that address to have it saved. This address could also be used if password is lost or forgotten or to prove someone else has your account.
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 04:37:32 PM

I have created a new thread specifically to discuss the forum software choice.  

Possible Platforms:  (vote here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246936.0)
     -Discourse
     -Xenforo
     -MyBB
     -SMF

dillpicklechips, that's an awesome idea.  Would you propose it in the thread above?
jackjack would you do the same?

Thank You!
dillpicklechips

Activity: 994
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 04:58:19 PM

I've been reading up on Bitmessage lately. Wouldn't it be possible in theory to build a forum that uses Bitmessage as the backend? Run a node that archives the messages and creates a web interface to the discussion. If someone doesn't want to run Bitmessage to communicate, a web interface can be provided.
reiqo

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:05:56 PM

Make an invitation system, every registered member will have number of available invites that he can share.
Create a special thread for guests that can ask for invitations, maybe a daily invitation give away thread.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:07:51 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 05:21:50 PM by jackjack

I think it would be a good idea to create now a new forum (I mean outside bitcointalk) to discuss all the ideas: one thread per idea would be much easier to manage
I'd do this if you want

Edit: I didn't see your previous post. Let me put internet on my laptop and I'll look at that link

Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: