Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 03:19:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Do we need a new forum?
No, I love it here it is so professional and the mods really seem helpful - 22 (9.1%)
Yes, this site doesn't even have a privacy policy - 11 (4.5%)
No Way, where would I go to scam people? - 3 (1.2%)
Yes, It is offensive that BFL advertises here - 16 (6.6%)
No way, where would I buy my illegal securities? - 2 (0.8%)
Yes, I do not like that Tradefortress runs an illegal bank here - 4 (1.7%)
No, I like that I can come to this site and do criminal things - 2 (0.8%)
Yes, I'm sick and tired of the mods not doing anything - 16 (6.6%)
No, I like that they hold 6000 BTC from the community and still allow scamming - 13 (5.4%)
But then I couldn't buy my drugs anymore - 1 (0.4%)
What? Where would we go? - 15 (6.2%)
If you don't ban Viceroy I'll just scream - 35 (14.5%)
Yes - 55 (22.7%)
No - 47 (19.4%)
Total Voters: 242

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Seeking a team to develop Bitcointalk 2.0 forums (apply within)  (Read 23467 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Viceroy (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 01:58:50 PM
Last edit: July 01, 2013, 10:52:32 PM by Viceroy

We've been losing good members for months now.  The post about a dismal level of discourse is telling.  If things do not change in these forums we will continue to lose smart contributors like Jason.  For those of you who do not know what Jason did for the community let me tell you.  He, along with Gusti and a small group of other engineers, tried to develop a public mining asic chip.  While they didn't complete their task the effort was nothing short of amazing.

When I arrived on the scene almost exactly two years ago it was a small and fun community of computer geeks.  Like half of you we came to mine bitcoin.  We were mining on deepbit and slush's pool and using the brand new cgminer, it was awesome.  People were helpful and kind and it was a community.  But things have changed.

Part of the problem comes from the traffic.  The admins claim they just do not have the time to manage all the noise.  With more than 100,000 registered members and sockpuppets their task must be daunting.  But that's why people gave them money, right?  It recently came to light that Theymos is now paying the moderators and that he is distributing the $600,000 worth of bitcoin the forums have collected from donations in addition to the $130,000 per year the forums generate by running BFL ads.

Now I'm not here to tell Theymos what to do with HIS money but I'm tired of the lack of support from he and the team and the fact that they hold more than 1/2 million dollars and are doing little to improve the forums is embarassing so I'm calling them out and starting a new forum.  

So I am calling for a group of volunteers to help design the next version of this forum, bitcointalk 2.0.

If you want to volunteer or you have an idea to improve the forums in the next iteration please post it here.  Any and all are welcome to post.  If you do not want to reveal your main avatar feel free to create a new account just to post in this thread.  With no rules here, no privacy policy, no terms of service, sock puppets are encouraged and that is, imho, half the problem.  

What would you do different if you were in charge of this forum?

(Edit: June 30) Here's the list we've come up with so far:

Brand:
 -Cryptocoin or Bitcoin only???
 -Catchy - easy to remember name

Possible Platforms:  (vote here - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=246936.0)
     -Discourse
     -Xenforo
     -MyBB
     -SMF

Mandatory Requirements:

Good Design
  - Anonymous or Transparent?
    > what form of company is the forum?
    > what country should the forum be hosted in?
  - The site should be modern
  - Better mobile platform support
     > Tapatalk?
  - Better social media support
     > Integrate with
        o - Bitmessage
        o - Facebook
        o - other?
  - Offers two factor authentication
        o - Google authenticator

Rules:
  - Defined Up Front
     > Terms of Service
     > Privacy Policy
     > Moderation Policy
        o - deleting spam posts
        o - only one account per user (sock puppet ban)
        o - bans on users that are obvious scammers
        o - qualifications for perma-ban (what constitutes a ban?)
     > Moderators
        o - volunteed vs paid
        o - how selected
        o - how removed

What should be added or removed to/from this list?

Invitation only?  

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
nomailing

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:33:34 PM

I would really like to have Tapatalk support. And a lot of other users too (see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2319.0)

BM-2D9KqQQ9Fg864YKia8Yz2VTtcUPYFnHVBR
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 05:34:31 PM

Good call, thanks for that contribution!
JohnyBigs

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 06:54:33 PM

Good call, thanks for that contribution!

Hey this is Pizza, using my friends account since mine got hacked. I was just thinking this same thing today, after the ordeal of trying to prove ownership of my account. This whole time the mods haven't even bothered to stop my account from posting, the hacker is posting on my name and If I never bothered to say anything would of scammed alot of people.
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:05:26 PM

I'll tell you what I think there should be a policy against sock puppetry. 

There must be a simple machine module that helps identify and prevent sock puppets, yea?  With fewer sock puppets running around I would think it would be much easier to help a person reclaim a hacked account. 

What process have you had to go through to try to reclaim the pizza account? 

JohnyBigs

Activity: 560
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:06:50 PM

"All Data was shown to Thymos.

1. Gave him my old password to which he replied you could be the hacker and the real pizza changed it. If I was the hacker and I gained access to the account I would have changed it on the spot, makes no sense logically.

2. Provided usernames of users I had PMd

3. Asked me to sign a bitcoin address that I had used with a User. I PM him the whole message from that user. I show him a screenshot of that address in my Armory. Unfortunately, signing in Armory doesn't work for me, so I showed him a screenshot. It's been almost 2 days since he last responded.

I've come to the conclusion that they real just don't give a shit, because providing my old password, Users who I've PM'D, and an exact PM word for word, screenshot of the Bitcoin address, should of been more than enough proof for any logical person."
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:32:35 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2013, 07:48:18 PM by tysat

Be a shitload more liberal with bans and deletion of useless posts.

EDIT:
Crazy amount of poll options much?  Need something that just says "yes"
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 07:57:58 PM
Last edit: June 27, 2013, 08:46:07 PM by Viceroy

Very professional, thank you for your useless contribution.  Take your hostility elsewhere you are banished from posting in my thread.  Future posts by you in this thread will be reported to the ADMIN as you are obviously trolling.

edit:
Tysat is a paid moderator in these forums.

Super edit:

Maybe Tysat didn't mean what I thought he meant.  Perhaps it is good to have cool headed moderators...
tysat
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1004

Keep it real

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:29:30 PM

EDIT:
Crazy amount of poll options much?  Need something that just says "yes"

Very professional, thank you for your useless contribution.  Take your hostility elsewhere you are banished from posting in my thread.  Future posts by you in this thread will be reported to the ADMIN as you are obviously trolling.

edit:
Tysat is a paid moderator in these forums.

I'm trolling?  I was being serious.

Am I not allowed to have opinions because I'm a mod?  I was a moderator before I was paid as well.
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:42:34 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 11:46:30 AM by Viceroy

Sorry boss I may have jumped the gun.  I'm in a heated battle with BCB.

I'd ban his ass if I had a banhammer because I swear to god he is blackmailing buyer.  (I don't swear to god much).

Yea I agree they all need to be banned all the freaking crooks.  How can it be done?  Won't they just pop back up as a sockpuppet?    
ironcross360

Activity: 140

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:45:10 PM

We've been losing good members for months now.  The post about a dismal level of discourse is telling.  If things do not change in these forums we will continue to lose smart contributors like Jason.  For those of you who do not know what Jason did for the community let me tell you.  He, along with Gusti and a small group of other engineers, tried to develop a public mining asic chip.  While they didn't complete their task the effort was nothing short of amazing.

When I arrived on the scene almost exactly two years ago it was a small and fun community of computer geeks.  Like half of you we came to mine bitcoin.  We were mining on deepbit and slush's pool and using the brand new cgminer, it was awesome.  People were helpful and kind and it was a community.  But things have changed.

Part of the problem comes from the traffic.  The admins claim they just do not have the time to manage all the noise.  With more than 100,000 registered members and sockpuppets their task must be daunting.  But that's why people gave them money, right?  It recently came to light that Theymos is now paying the moderators and that he is distributing the $600,000 worth of bitcoin the forums have collected from donations in addition to the $130,000 per year the forums generate by running BFL ads.

Now I'm not here to tell Theymos what to do with HIS money but I'm tired of the lack of support from he and the team and the fact that they hold more than 1/2 million dollars and are doing little to improve the forums is embarassing so I'm calling them out and starting a new forum.  

So I am calling for a group of volunteers to help design the next version of this forum, bitcointalk 2.0.

If you want to volunteer or you have an idea to improve the forums in the next iteration please post it here.  Any and all are welcome to post.  If you do not want to reveal your main avatar feel free to create a new account just to post in this thread.  With no rules here, no privacy policy, no terms of service, sock puppets are encouraged and that is, imho, half the problem.  

I am here to volunteer with Web design, We can make a new future of Bitcoins!

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:46:38 PM

I like the new avatar ironcross.
ironcross360

Activity: 140

Troll of the Fourth Reich.

View Profile
June 27, 2013, 08:47:15 PM

I like the new avatar ironcross.
Lol

Why are you just staring at this? Just send it! 1MHZjADM41ttjbPUiTPYWGYGm45XLf8ZeS
docius

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:28:57 AM

I would really like to have Tapatalk support. And a lot of other users too (see https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2319.0)

Hell yes.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:59:22 AM

Sorry boss I may have jumped the gun.  I'm in a heated battle with BCB where he is blackmailing a user named Buyer over here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=244773.msg2595395#msg2595395

I'd ban his ass if I had a banhammer because I swear to god he is blackmailing buyer.  (I don't swear to god much).

Yea I agree they all need to be banned all the freaking crooks.  How can it be done?  Won't they just pop back up as a sockpuppet?   

Why did you delete the OP in the thread you're pointing to?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Inedible

Activity: 700
Merit: 500

What doesn't kill you only makes you sicker!

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:15:57 AM

What would be better?

What would be done differently?

How would it not end up becoming another clique of power hungry dictators?

If this post was useful, interesting or entertaining, then you've misunderstood.
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:44:53 AM

Because I shared information on that thread that, perhaps, I should not have.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:49:57 PM

Because I shared information on that thread that, perhaps, I should not have.
Ah ok
Yeah I think you should have left it there

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Korbman
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:07:18 PM

I'd agree with this. As the forum grows, I think adding more mods would need to go along with this.

I also wish there was a way to kill off sockpuppets ..it's seriously to the point now where I can't tell if I'm talking to actual newbies, or just the same guy with 5 different accounts.

Dunno..maybe that's just me.

Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:14:54 PM

Is there a forum software (like simple machines) which has a module that help to identify and remove sock puppets?

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: