Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:11:08 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [Photo] First of 2013 Casascius Silver Coins Now Available For Sale  (Read 15836 times)
bitcoinpreneur

Activity: 30
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 01:21:28 PM

Do you know how many 0.1 you will have in a roll?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
01BTC10
VIP

Activity: 756
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 01:26:55 PM

Great count me in!  Smiley
murfshake

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:44:42 PM

Yeah, but how is the spelling?   Wink
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:12:12 AM

Mike,

I was initially not going to re-sell these because of the hefty premium. But demand is there and customer is king, so we (jalaman and I) will probably do pre-orders.

Since import VAT tax of 19% will have to be payed by us on import (we will get it back later) it would greatly simplify things at customs if it was possible to do the following.

(Background: customs officials have to value the product coming in and tax it. On my last import of brass coins I had a really hard time explaining no bitcoins were yet loaded (the lady even looked up the bitcoin exchange rate and wanted me to pay 19% based on that valuation. your info card helped a lot!!!) and arguing the value of the brass coins. The customs lady kept asking for a bill or payment receipt. The customs form you filled out isn't really a reliable source for them at all (as you could put anything there)).

Split the payment in 2 parts:

• 1 for the silver value plus a slight premium. Use bitpay or paypal for this part so I end up with a bill stating USD amount payed. State that same amount as value in the customs declaration.
  • 1 for the BTC to be loaded plus the remainder of the premium. Depending on wether we do this using our company, we'd also need a bill with USD amount for this part.

In addition it would be great if we could do "deferred loading" (load only when coin is in the hands of end-customer) to ease customs hassle and potential VAT to be payed by end-customer.

I hope you can consider this.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:14:04 AM

just placed an order with you, mike.
noticed the substancial (!) premium over silver. phew!

anyways. also ordering with you if you're ready, smoothie.

Please share you customs experience with us. You probably have other experience importing silver to germany... can you share it?

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:25:04 AM

Mike

I already have some of your aluminum coins from a group buy but would like something more substantial to carry around to show friends. I know that silver coins (as opposed to sterling silver) tarnish (develop patina) pretty significantly.  In your opinion which Casascius bitcoin will stay the shiniest the longest when exposed to air?
dwdoc
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

- - -Caveat Aleo- - -

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:35:52 AM

I don't see a gold coin listed but I'll bet the gold plated BTC25 coin would work.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 05:43:13 AM

I think what I am going to do is, when I get all these initial orders shipped, I may wait to fund them so that the FIRST funding transaction funds as many as possible, to give them "first batch" distinction.  That might mean that those who get them the quickest might have to wait 7-10 days for me to fund them to let others catch up.  I'm curious on others' opinions.  If I don't do this, then only US buyers would have a chance to get "first batch" coins because theirs will arrive the fastest.

If I do this, I will at least publish where the funds are, so everyone can see they're just sitting there and not accruing "interest" in a ponzi scheme.

(These won't have incrementing addresses like my newest brass coins do... I will just be using the 1Ag* addresses I already generated long ago, in truly random order, since I have so many of them that aren't used)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:58:28 AM

I think what I am going to do is, when I get all these initial orders shipped, I may wait to fund them so that the FIRST funding transaction funds as many as possible, to give them "first batch" distinction.

This would be extra special for the silver halfs with the Series 2 hologram Smiley

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:54:32 AM

I think what I am going to do is, when I get all these initial orders shipped, I may wait to fund them so that the FIRST funding transaction funds as many as possible, to give them "first batch" distinction.  That might mean that those who get them the quickest might have to wait 7-10 days for me to fund them to let others catch up.  I'm curious on others' opinions.  If I don't do this, then only US buyers would have a chance to get "first batch" coins because theirs will arrive the fastest.

If I do this, I will at least publish where the funds are, so everyone can see they're just sitting there and not accruing "interest" in a ponzi scheme.

That's a good idea.

Since you didn't answer about my "billing" suggestion above, I take it you're reluctant to do this?

BitAddict
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 12:43:36 PM

They're really nice!

Are you considering making them with the BTC in gold (like before)?

Thanks!
BigBitz

Activity: 672
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 02:05:34 PM

Not wanting to sound stupid but why is the 1BTC priced at 2.5BTC?!

Tips BTC --> 1BS2sYvy3T1cpNhie6CVFMcUrHa84a8mPa <-- Thanks! || Tips [LTC] --> LaytYJNCha7z7zcws5a2o2GWWjvWfDCGkr <--
nubbins
Legendary

Activity: 1554
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 02:10:05 PM

Because it's made of pure silver, and it's really pretty.

No longer buying/selling Casascius coins. Beware scammers.
My OTC Web of Trust ratings / What's a PGP chain of custody?
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:00:11 PM

just placed an order with you, mike.
noticed the substancial (!) premium over silver. phew!

anyways. also ordering with you if you're ready, smoothie.

Please share you customs experience with us. You probably have other experience importing silver to germany... can you share it?

You pay 19% on the silver value.
100oz of silver @ 14€ = 1400€ * 0.19 = 266€ Einfuhrumsatzsteuer.

Sadly, customs are going by the value ON THE INVOICE, so if I buy 20oz at a 250% premium, I will pay 250% premium on my VAT as well!
100oz of silver @ 24€ = 2400€ * 0.19 = 456€ Einfuhrumsatzsteuer.

That's why an invoice stating "100oz .999 silver rounds" with the silver spot price denominated in USD is probably the best way to bill the goods, with the funding of the coins AND the premium of manufacturing invoiced seperately!

so preferrably:

a) pay the silver
c) pay the premium +  funding

this may all be consolidated in the FINAL receipt, but should be separated for shipping.
casascius (OP)
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 03:01:31 PM

Molecular: I could offer deferred loading but strictly for customs purposes and not as an anti-loss measure.  In other words all coins you get must eventually be funded.

Does Germany charge VAT on the premium or just the silver?  And is Einfuhrumsatzsteuer something in addition to VAT (which I understood was Mehrwertsteuer last I was there)

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
2weiX
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1005

this space intentionally left blank

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 03:06:15 PM

Molecular: I could offer deferred loading but strictly for customs purposes and not as an anti-loss measure.  In other words all coins you get must eventually be funded.

Does Germany charge VAT on the premium or just the silver?  And is Einfuhrumsatzsteuer something in addition to VAT (which I understood was Mehrwertsteuer last I was there)

VAT is the equivalent of Einfuhrumsatzsteuer.
I edited my above post to answer your question while you were posting it^^
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:15:13 PM

Does Germany charge VAT on the premium or just the silver?  And is Einfuhrumsatzsteuer something in addition to VAT (which I understood was Mehrwertsteuer last I was there)

Yes, I want deferred loading purely for customs purposes, not anti-loss measure.

Einfuhrumsatzsteuer is VAT. Umsatzsteuer and Mehrwertsteuer are the same. So Einfuhrumsatzsteuer is "import VAT".

import VAT is charged on the premium also and yes, it would even be charged on the bitcoin value of the coins if they were loaded. Therefore I agree with 2weix that it's probably best to use 2 invoices (see his post #37

tlr

Activity: 86

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 03:27:52 PM

Because it's made of pure silver, and it's really pretty.

To be clear, there's only about 0.2 BTC worth of silver in each of these. But they are really pretty and I'll probably be buying some.
chrisrico

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 07:25:38 PM

(These won't have incrementing addresses like my newest brass coins do... I will just be using the 1Ag* addresses I already generated long ago, in truly random order, since I have so many of them that aren't used)

For what it's worth, waiting a week or two for the coins to be loaded is not an issue for me.
tlr

Activity: 86

View Profile
July 03, 2013, 05:08:29 PM

What size Air-Tite cases do these fit in?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: