Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 04:35:31 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 400 americans......  (Read 3250 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 08:37:05 PM

All of which makes you no less a putz.

I'm lol'ing at you right now.

And that affects me how, exactly?

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jakel-s

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 08:46:18 PM

You make a fine point, But I think you may be looking at the 99th and 1th (1st?) percentiles, there.

You may want to compare the second picture to say, upper class suburbia. Still different, but not as drastic.
You're so beyond stupid that I'm beginning to get the feeling you must be 12 years old.  No adult with access to the internet could possibly have such a limited worldview.

Coming from you, I view that as the highest compliment. Yes, I know that outside of the first world, life is shit. But look at the kids in the second picture. Aside from the street, those three could be any three kids from '60s suburbia.

I should point out, though, that the article actually used the 25% mark. All this stuff about 10% is way off base. That said, You are right, it should be limited to the First World.

What I was saying is that the starving kids in Ethiopia and the mansion are not representative of the 10% mark, putz.

Then you don't really know what you're saying and you're just trying to save face.

Yea, aside from the street full of garbage that's 1960's suburbia.  Aside from the fact that my Honda isn't a Ferrari, my Honda is a Ferrari.  Roll Eyes

You're right, they aren't representative of the 10% mark.  The starving kids in Ethiopia are more representative of the ~40% mark, which really blows your argument to pieces.

And of course it should be limited to first world like I said in the first place.  Because the rising tide DOES NOT raise all boats.  The top ~20% of the world progressed and the bottom 50% were thrown into oblivion, because the progression of the first-world was done AT THEIR EXPENSE.

Did 1960s suburban kids' parents die due to lack of healthcare or military conflicts, and have to wander the streets providing for themselves? There situations are not comparable at all!
AyeYo

Activity: 154
Merit: 103

View Profile
June 30, 2011, 08:48:38 PM

You make a fine point, But I think you may be looking at the 99th and 1th (1st?) percentiles, there.

You may want to compare the second picture to say, upper class suburbia. Still different, but not as drastic.
You're so beyond stupid that I'm beginning to get the feeling you must be 12 years old.  No adult with access to the internet could possibly have such a limited worldview.

Coming from you, I view that as the highest compliment. Yes, I know that outside of the first world, life is shit. But look at the kids in the second picture. Aside from the street, those three could be any three kids from '60s suburbia.

I should point out, though, that the article actually used the 25% mark. All this stuff about 10% is way off base. That said, You are right, it should be limited to the First World.

What I was saying is that the starving kids in Ethiopia and the mansion are not representative of the 10% mark, putz.

Then you don't really know what you're saying and you're just trying to save face.

Yea, aside from the street full of garbage that's 1960's suburbia.  Aside from the fact that my Honda isn't a Ferrari, my Honda is a Ferrari.  Roll Eyes

You're right, they aren't representative of the 10% mark.  The starving kids in Ethiopia are more representative of the ~40% mark, which really blows your argument to pieces.

And of course it should be limited to first world like I said in the first place.  Because the rising tide DOES NOT raise all boats.  The top ~20% of the world progressed and the bottom 50% were thrown into oblivion, because the progression of the first-world was done AT THEIR EXPENSE.

Did 1960s suburban kids' parents die due to lack of healthcare or military conflicts, and have to wander the streets providing for themselves? There situations are not comparable at all!

Yea, but bro, they LOOK the same.  Just look at those kids... they have two legs and two arms... shit they're IDENTICAL to 1960's American kids!!   Roll Eyes

Don't confuse myrkul with reality.  He has a simple mind and it may hurt him.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
myrkul

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2011, 09:05:01 PM

Don't confuse myrkul with reality.  He has a simple mind and it may hurt him.

What is this, I don't even...

You've made your point. Those kids would look horribly out of place walking down the street in a '60s suburb. After all, they're brown.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
LastBattle

Activity: 84

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:30:02 AM

The poorest 10% of today are richer than the richest 10% from 1965.

Inequality is bunk.

You need to qualify that statement with: IN THE FIRST-WORLD or IN THE US.

Anywhere in the world, depending on how you look at it.

In 1965, the richest man in the world couldn't have a cellphone, but the poorest Somalian has the potential to get cellphone service. Same thing for basic computers, etc

No, not even close.

Poorest 10% today:

(Ethiopia)

Richest 10% in 1965:

(Jean Paul Getty)

Yea, so much progress on a world-wide scale.  How's that fantasy world you're living in?

The richest man in 1965 had no cellphones or internet. Try again

You're standing on a flagstone running with blood, alone and so very lonely because you can't choose but you had to

I take tips to: 14sF7NNGJzXvoBcfbLR6N4Exy8umCAqdBd
blogospheroid

Activity: 133
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:40:48 AM

The fact that human attributes/capabilities are distributed in a bell curve, while wealth and income generally follow power laws is a fascinating contrast.

I'm not sure on how I would test the hypothesis that this difference is due to ability. Bring everyone on the same level and give them the same exposure - basically Sparta II. But Sparta itself survived only due to slave labour. So, it's not a great model.

Almost any pure meritocracy will degrade with time, because of the fundamental need for parents to shield their children.

I have great sympathy for the ideas of Henry George with the land tax and citizens dividend, but I've seen too much of politics to realise that ideas in a pure form are almost never implemented.

I think the best hope of the world would be in more competing jurisdictions, Paul Romer's charter cities idea and seasteading - Patri Freidman's idea. Let the world re-organize into phyles and tribes of people's own choosing.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 04:45:10 AM

I think the best hope of the world would be in more competing jurisdictions, Paul Romer's charter cities idea and seasteading - Patri Freidman's idea. Let the world re-organize into phyles and tribes of people's own choosing.

This.

realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 09:18:34 AM

Economies are not a zero sum game.  Nothing was gained at someone else's expense.  This is a fact.  How do I know this?  Because in a free market, both parties to a trade walk away happier.  All trade is voluntary, therefore both parties must value what the other party has more than what they have.  When a million African's buy a million mobile phones, Africa has become richer.

Go and watch this video and try your "rising tide DOES NOT raise all boats" line again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
AyeYo

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:02:32 PM

Economies are not a zero sum game.  Nothing was gained at someone else's expense.  This is a fact.  How do I know this?  Because in a free market, both parties to a trade walk away happier.  All trade is voluntary, therefore both parties must value what the other party has more than what they have.  When a million African's buy a million mobile phones, Africa has become richer.

Go and watch this video and try your "rising tide DOES NOT raise all boats" line again.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbkSRLYSojo

Can't argue with stupid.  Roll Eyes

The laws of the universe disagree with you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conservation_of_mass
When a million Africans buy cell phones, they now have something that THEY FEEL was worth the money spent.  The person that sold them the phones now has money that THEY FEEL was worth the cell phones spent.  Objectively, neither party is better off than they were before, because VALUE IS RELATIVE.  Nothing was created or destroyed during this transaction except SUBJECTIVE VALUE.

Furthermore, let me know when you find a free market.  I said nothing about a free market.

Enjoying the dose of reality or getting a laugh out of my posts? Feel free to toss me a penny or two, everyone else seems to be doing it! 1Kn8NqvbCC83zpvBsKMtu4sjso5PjrQEu1
Reikoku

Activity: 140

firstbits: 1kwc1p

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:29:05 PM

Who determines value? Subjective value is the only type of value which matters, because our subjective priorities are the only way of determining whether a transaction is worthwhile. As for progress being done at the third world's expense, that's bullshit. Ask the Chinese or the Filipinos whether they'd rather the factories disappeared and they could go back to living in rural farming communities with 13 hour working days for sustenance.

This whole ridiculous argument about the third world avoids context. This isn't the evil West forcing third world people out of wonderful Unicorn land and into slavery in a factory, to them it's a way out of the farms, into urbanisation and into a better future for them and their families. The fastest improvements these days are coming in the developing world. Countries like China, Nigeria and India (not the USA, Japan et al) are experiencing the fastest growth rates in the world.

The left likes to paint the developing world as a dystopia of doom and gloom but it just isn't. Life expectancies are rising, birth rates are falling, economies are growing. The left push for aid but in reality it is those countries suckling on the aid teat the most (Africa) which grow the least. Encouraging this dependance isn't just a waste of money, it's harmful to the countries involved and to their progress.

And yes, in the first world, we are all kings now. The division of labour and globalisation have given us all far more choice than royalty throughout history enjoyed and at a far lower cost.

Thank fuck for the market.

Rei | 1Kwc1pqv54jCg8jvnm3Gu1dqFQYhS34Bow
Trades So Far: 7
AyeYo

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 01:34:37 PM

Like I said, can't argue with stupid.  Your mind is made up and no amount of history lessons or reality checks will change it.

Thank fuck for that anything but free market though, right?  It's a free market when you want it to be and a government controlled scam when you want it to be.  Oh wait, we've come full circle.

http://mutualist.blogspot.com/2005/01/vulgar-libertarianism-watch-part-1.html

LastBattle

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:21:16 PM

Like I said, can't argue with stupid.  Your mind is made up and no amount of history lessons or reality checks will change it.

Thank fuck for that anything but free market though, right?  It's a free market when you want it to be and a government controlled scam when you want it to be.  Oh wait, we've come full circle.

I see what you did there

Arguing with caricatures isn't gonna work. Try again.

You're standing on a flagstone running with blood, alone and so very lonely because you can't choose but you had to

AyeYo

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 02:59:52 PM

I see what you did there

It's pretty simple, really.  You can't attribute something you favor to the free market and say "thank fuck for the free market"... then when I point out an evil of the market, you turn around and say it's not a free market, so that's why bad things are happening.

Having your cake and eating it too.  Seems to be a reoccuring dilema for libertarians.

LastBattle

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:43:30 PM

I see what you did there

It's pretty simple, really.  You can't attribute something you favor to the free market and say "thank fuck for the free market"... then when I point out an evil of the market, you turn around and say it's not a free market, so that's why bad things are happening.

Having your cake and eating it too.  Seems to be a reoccuring dilema for libertarians.

You buy a large, tasty cake from the bakery and eat it. Ninjas suddenly jump in, break your legs, and steal your television. They are two different events altogether. Going by your logic, the bakery and its cake is responsible for breaking your legs and stealing your television.

Why do I even bother

realnowhereman

Activity: 504
Merit: 502

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:10:08 PM

Can't argue with stupid.  Roll Eyes

Good point.

1AAZ4xBHbiCr96nsZJ8jtPkSzsg1CqhwDa
Reikoku

Activity: 140

firstbits: 1kwc1p

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 06:28:08 AM

I see what you did there

It's not a free market, but it's a lot better than a command economy.

Rei | 1Kwc1pqv54jCg8jvnm3Gu1dqFQYhS34Bow
Trades So Far: 7
AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 12:57:37 PM

I see what you did there

Irrelevant.  That does not address my point.  Address my point.  Here it is again: why do you attribute all good actions of our current market to it being a "free market" and all negatives to it "not being a free market"?

LastBattle

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:23:51 PM
Last edit: July 02, 2011, 04:38:03 PM by LastBattle

I see what you did there

It's pretty simple, really.  You can't attribute something you favor to the free market and say "thank fuck for the free market"... then when I point out an evil of the market, you turn around and say it's not a free market, so that's why bad things are happening.

Having your cake and eating it too.  Seems to be a reoccuring dilema for libertarians.

Irrelevant.  That does not address my point.  Address my point.  Here it is again: why do you attribute all good actions of our current market to it being a "free market" and all negatives to it "not being a free market"?

...Because the positives occur despite the state, not because of it?

The negatives to the free market are either only negative to certain individuals (say, bankers who get easy money from central banks in the current system) or just as negative as every other system because of human nature/reality (for example, starvation in a poor country will still occur regardless of how free it is, it would just begin to lessen as prosperity rose)

Also, the free market is a system composed of billions of individuals, not an organization. Blaming the free market for something is like blaming the environment for something. If a bear eats your buddy, or you get struck by lightning, the bear and lightning (or maybe bad luck) are responsible, not the "environment". Likewise, individuals within the free market are responsible for doing bad things, not the free market itself.

AyeYo

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:44:00 PM

I see what you did there

It's pretty simple, really.  You can't attribute something you favor to the free market and say "thank fuck for the free market"... then when I point out an evil of the market, you turn around and say it's not a free market, so that's why bad things are happening.

Having your cake and eating it too.  Seems to be a reoccuring dilema for libertarians.

Irrelevant.  That does not address my point.  Address my point.  Here it is again: why do you attribute all good actions of our current market to it being a "free market" and all negatives to it "not being a free market"?

...Because the positives occur despite the state, not because of it?

LOL, so like I said, anything good is because of the free market.  Anything bad is caused by regulation.  I think that's the only line you need to know to argue like a libertarian.

Also, the free market is a system composed of billions of individuals, not an organization. Blaming the free market for something is like blaming the environment for something. If a bear eats your buddy, or you get struck by lightning, the bear and lightning (or maybe bad luck) are responsible, not the "environment". Likewise, individuals within the free market are responsible for doing bad things, not the free market itself.

The same is true of government, but that's never stopped you from blaming the evil ole' goobermentz as an entity itself.  Roll Eyes

LastBattle

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 04:50:56 PM

The same is true of government, but that's never stopped you from blaming the evil ole' goobermentz as an entity itself.

Government is a group of individuals, true, but it is aiming towards one goal, controlled by one person (or group of people if you prefer), and acts as a single entity, like a corporation. A free market doesn't act as a single entity.

LOL, so like I said, anything good is because of the free market.  Anything bad is caused by regulation.  I think that's the only line you need to know to argue like a libertarian.

LOLHANDWAVE

LOL, so like I said, the world is round. Nothing falls off because of centrifugal force/gravity. I think that's the only line you need to know to argue like a round earther

You do realize you aren't presenting an argument here, right?

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: