Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:28:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Variation  (Read 1806 times)
wobber (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1064
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 25, 2010, 03:27:23 PM

I have a question. Why do you think nobody made a variation on bitcoin, let's say bytecoin or something?

Also, do you think it would be a good idea to have many cryptocurrencies? How would the cryptonomic environment behave with more than one currency?

If you hate me, you can spam me here: 19wdQNKjnATkgXvpzmSrkSYhJtuJWb8mKs

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Cryptoman

Activity: 726
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 25, 2010, 06:57:04 PM

I think it's better at this point in time to have only one p2p currency that everyone can get behind.  The only way to wean ourselves off national currencies is to have a widely-accepted p2p currency, and that won't happen if they start forking this early.  In the future, however, I think it's an excellent idea and may even become necessary for security and survival reasons.

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history." --Gandhi
grondilu
Legendary

Activity: 1288
Merit: 1076

View Profile
December 25, 2010, 07:11:09 PM

I have a question. Why do you think nobody made a variation on bitcoin, let's say bytecoin or something?

Also, do you think it would be a good idea to have many cryptocurrencies? How would the cryptonomic environment behave with more than one currency?

It will certainly happen, but to do so the initiator will have to gather miners around him, otherwise his block chain will remain very weak compared to bitcoin's.

This has been discussed several times in the forum.  Most of us think that there's nothing wrong with competing currencies, whether they are cryptographic or not is not the issue.  Competing currencies are good for the economy.

ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
December 25, 2010, 07:57:24 PM

It is difficult for just "somebody" to gain enough trust on the interwebs to just start a fork of bitcoin.
A value of currency is directly proportional of trust that people put in that currency.

Currently, people trust Satoshi. To start an alternative currency, you have to gain trust and build your reputation, which is very difficult. And before that, you need to convince people why they should use your currency, not some other currency.

Local

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 26, 2010, 07:41:05 PM

It is difficult for just "somebody" to gain enough trust on the interwebs to just start a fork of bitcoin.
A value of currency is directly proportional of trust that people put in that currency.

Currently, people trust Satoshi. To start an alternative currency, you have to gain trust and build your reputation, which is very difficult. And before that, you need to convince people why they should use your currency, not some other currency.

This contradicts other stuff I read. I thought it didn't matter who started it and that we didn't have to trust Satoshi.
BrBoy

Activity: 453
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 26, 2010, 08:06:28 PM

The Satoshi's goal was he made his project open source with a target community.

I think it is a great work. Others new P2P currencies must to do something like that to try success.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
December 26, 2010, 09:16:39 PM

This contradicts other stuff I read. I thought it didn't matter who started it and that we didn't have to trust Satoshi.

It matters, because he is the original bitcoin inventor and he has IMHO the best vision for this project.
Is there somebody else i could trust more ?

davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 26, 2010, 09:49:48 PM

+1

I don't trust satoshi, I trust the math behind bitcoin.

Local

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 26, 2010, 10:13:14 PM

It matters, because he is the original bitcoin inventor and he has IMHO the best vision for this project.
Is there somebody else i could trust more ?

Even given that, a new chain could use his client (and future clients) with a tiny modification, right? If someone wants a chain with 5 minute blocks and 210M coins and other people want it too I don't see how the pseudonym of the first suggester matters. Imo, those are pointless changes to use as a reason to abandon a chain that has an economy behind it, but maybe there are some more important changes that could be made.

The only reason I would trust Satoshi at all is because he came up with a system where we didn't and don't have to trust him.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

View Profile
December 27, 2010, 12:23:49 AM

The only reason I would trust Satoshi at all is because he came up with a system where we didn't and don't have to trust him.

Agreed, this is a small paradox/loop, but it works.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: