Bitcoin Forum
May 14, 2024, 01:50:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Core: data consistency after forced exit during startup?  (Read 308 times)
jnano (OP)

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
November 23, 2017, 10:02:57 PM

I started Core by mistake with an empty "chainstate" directory, after it was fully synced the last time it ran.

The startup window stopped making progress at "Pruning blockstore". I tried to exit it normally. The shutdown popup window appeared ("Bitcoin Core is shutting down...") but it never progressed, so I killed the process.

The chainstate directory held 4 files: *.log, CURRENT, LOCK, and MANIFEST-*.
If I'm not mistaken the files under "blocks" weren't touched, based on file time.

I restored the chainstate directory data and restarted the software. It loaded normally.
Can I be sure all data is fine?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"With e-currency based on cryptographic proof, without the need to trust a third party middleman, money can be secure and transactions effortless." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BitMaxz
Legendary

Activity: 3248
Merit: 2972

Block halving is coming.

View Profile WWW
November 23, 2017, 11:54:17 PM

If its fully synced it would not be  a problem to test try to send small amount of bitcoin core address but first backup your private keys from bitcoin core.. before sending small amount of bitcoin for testing purposes if  its not working fine  try this command -rescan .. and check your blocks if all are downloaded use this command -checkblocks But its should be automatically check your blocks if its up-to-date.
you may also reindex chainstate
Code:
 	-reindex-chainstate 	Rebuild chain state from the currently indexed blocks
-reindex Rebuild chain state and block index from the blk*.dat files on disk
You can see the other command check the source below..

Source: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Running_Bitcoin

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jnano (OP)

Activity: 301
Merit: 74

View Profile
November 24, 2017, 02:05:53 AM

Thanks.

It's in pruned mode, so no full blockchain. By fully synced I just meant that on the last run it didn't have any remaining catching up to do, and the chainstate directory was fully populated (it was empty on the next run because I temporarily moved it).

I assume it's meant to survive abnormal shutdowns, plus it does check some or more of the data on startup. Additionally, the abnormal run didn't even finish the startup phase, so I think it was before any important writing action.

Everything looks fine, just wanted to know if looks can be deceiving. Smiley

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: