Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 08:08:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Germany 0% Bitcoin taxes brings more value to casascius coins  (Read 1551 times)
Polvos (OP)

Activity: 597
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:20:28 AM

Think about it. With the recent Germany 0% bitcoin-taxes-after-a-year news, the casascius coins become more valuable, because you can sell them with a high premium to a money launderer there. Why? because Casascius coins gurantee two things:

1.- A more than a year settlement of Bitcoins in the same address of the block chain.

2.- The relatively high confidence that the private key can only be used by the owner of the coin.

¿Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 12:07:29 PM

What you say it's true..

Nevertheless I welcome this news as (AFAIK) the first official statement made by one of the EU States. It's not a surprise it comes from the first and bigger BTC adopters among Europe. What can discourage more a shop keeper who would like to accept bitcoins, more the uncertainity he has about the legal and fiscal implications of his choice? 

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:00:56 PM

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes."

I've never expected such a liberal act from the German govt.
Maybe they want a backup when EUR will be completely screwed up, so if they have BTC ready at hand then can carry on with building the Fourth Reich (EUSSR) Smiley.

legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:38:22 PM

Germans are smart people, they realise the importance of Bitcoin and keeping it untaxed. If only the rest of the world would follow...

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
threeip

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:45:02 PM

Can you link to the news, for the lazy?

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:08:36 PM

Germans are smart people, they realise the importance of Bitcoin and keeping it untaxed. If only the rest of the world would follow...

No, actually we do that with any kind of speculation. If you keep the speculative object for longer than a year, any gains in value are untaxed. Bitcoin is just another kind of pigs halves or concentrated orange juice.
dserrano5
Legendary

Activity: 1974
Merit: 1029

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:28:21 PM

Can you link to the news, for the lazy?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=77.0
atomium
Donator

Activity: 406
Merit: 252

Study the past, if you would divine the future.

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 03:14:23 AM

does casascius keep a copy of each private key that he produces? I've always wondered how trustworthy they are
kik1977

Activity: 593
Merit: 505

Wherever I may roam

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:49:53 AM

does casascius keep a copy of each private key that he produces? I've always wondered how trustworthy they are

That's what he says in his Q&A:

Q. Do you keep a copy of the private key?  Who has had access to the private keys?

A. I did not keep the private keys, and I am the only person who has ever had control over the private keys.  I have either inserted the private keys into the coins myself, or have directly supervised others doing the same.  On the series 1 coins, the hologram manufacturer pre-printed the addresses onto the hologram labels, but they were only given the 8 characters you see, not the private keys themselves.
Q. It's impossible to prove you didn't keep the private keys, and with all the Bitcoin scams lately, why should I believe you?

A.  I have given out my real-world identity and have digitally signed a list of the Bitcoin addresses used in this project.  I have made it so that it if I were to perpetrate a scam, it would be possible to prove it and to hold me legally accountable - something no scammer wants to do.  You should demand the same from anyone handling your cryptocurrency.

We are like butterflies who flutter for a day and think it is forever
BitCoiner2012

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 11:21:46 AM

Beautiful.

Right in the face of the hostile business environment that is the USA.

BTC Long.
rebuilder
Legendary

Activity: 1615
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:14:11 PM

1.- A more than a year settlement of Bitcoins in the same address of the block chain.

2.- The relatively high confidence that the private key can only be used by the owner of the coin.

Is there any indication the German authorities want to see block chain records? I'd expect they want to see bank transfer receipts etc.

In any case, any cold storage wallet will satisfy 1, and offer better confidence only the owner can use the funds. Don't get me wrong, Casascius seems like one of the most trustworthy people here, but I still think it's bad protocol to trust anyone with your private keys if you don't want them to have the ability to spend your coins.

Selling out to advertisers shows you respect neither yourself nor the rest of us.
---------------------------------------------------------------
Too many low-quality posts? Mods not keeping things clean enough? Self-moderated threads let you keep signature spammers and trolls out!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: