Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 08:29:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Thighs still hurt after exercising?  (Read 976 times)
wardla (OP)

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 02:06:03 PM

I am not a very active guy but on yesterday I went to the gym and every other part of my body is fine APART from my thighs! they still kill, i cant bend over without them hurting?
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 02:23:54 PM

I am not a very active guy but on yesterday I went to the gym and every other part of my body is fine APART from my thighs! they still kill, i cant bend over without them hurting?

After exercising a lot, a certain acid develops near your muscles. To split the acids up take a hot bath or the less enjoyable activity - exercise more. That's at least what I remember from school. If anyone wants to suggest something better, go ahead.

DiamondCardz
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1112

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 03:04:21 PM

After exercising a lot, a certain acid develops near your muscles.

That acid being lactic acid.

BA Computer Science, University of Oxford
Dissertation was about threat modelling on distributed ledgers.
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:07:36 PM

Oh the things Newbies do in order to get their post count up. Okay I will bite.

In addition to the lactic acid, its also the tearing of the muscles that is involved.  As your body uses proteins and things to rebuild the muscle, it actually comes back stronger and larger.  The key to getting over the pain is to continue doing it.  You have to know the difference between "Oh, I think I injured myself" and being just sore from working out.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
hany103

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:45:44 PM

there is nothing wrong with that they are just sore, take a day off then workout again and you will be okay
mprep
Global Moderator
Legendary

Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610

In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 03:46:56 PM
Last edit: June 28, 2013, 05:39:28 PM by mprep

Thanks for naming it. I know how it's called in my native language but not in english.

Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:54:29 PM

It will hurt for a while but as you do more regular exercise then after a workout you will get a pleasant-exhausted feeling in your muscles, I wouldn't call it 'pain'. If I run a few kilometers it feels really great stretching afterwards.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 03:58:56 PM

It's Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. It's a usual reaction for the untrained. The worst pain will be at about 24 hours after the workout, then it'll diminish.

The severity of DOMS will gradually lessen as you get more experience with exercise. It will never go away entirely but it will be more "pleasant", as strange as that sounds. With time you will learn to expect, even to crave the feeling.
legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 04:49:29 PM

Thats totally normal, Just means you need to exercise your thighs more then the rest of your body until they stop getting sore.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
bitcoin_max

Activity: 31

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 04:55:08 PM

It also means you did a bit too much.
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:32:42 PM

It also means you did a bit too much.

Not necessarily.  It just means he might have done more than what his muscles are used to.  Common with new exercises, working out for the first time, or pushing past a previous limit.  If he just began running, or ran further than before, its just soreness from muscles doing work.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:43:02 PM

Any work above 70% intensity usually results in lactic acid build-up, but any pro-longed exercise will eventually result in lactic acid also.

Trillium

Activity: 546

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 06:56:51 PM

Any work above 70% intensity usually results in lactic acid build-up, but any pro-longed exercise will eventually result in lactic acid also.

From a scientific perspective that is a completely meaningless statement. How much lactic acid will build up and in what concentration?. What effect will this have? How quickly is it removed or neutralized? What concentration threshold must be reached for any negative effects to be experienced (pain?).

A lot of people think that 'acid = bad' because of a poor understanding of chemistry and/or the world around them, neglecting the fact that the human body contains countless acidic substances that perform a multitude of tasks either directly or indirectly or form as a by-product of other processes. Saying exercise will result in lactic acid buildup is almost meaningless even if it is true.

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:30:30 PM

Thanks for naming it. I know how it's called in my native language but not in english.
You are wrong, lactic acid is not what cause that.

greyhawk is right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

An earlier theory posited that DOMS is connected to the build-up of lactic acid in the blood, which was thought to continue being produced following exercise. This build-up of lactic acid was thought to be a toxic metabolic waste product that caused the perception of pain at a delayed stage. This theory has been largely rejected, as concentric contractions which also produce lactic acid have been unable to cause DOMS.[12] Additionally, lactic acid is known from multiple studies to return to normal levels within one hour of exercise, and therefore can't cause the pain that occurs much later.[13]

Killiz

Activity: 750
Merit: 503

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 08:33:48 PM

Tell your boyfriend you have piles.
DiamondCardz
Legendary

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 09:28:31 PM

You are wrong, lactic acid is not what cause that.

greyhawk is right

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delayed_onset_muscle_soreness

An earlier theory posited that DOMS is connected to the build-up of lactic acid in the blood, which was thought to continue being produced following exercise. This build-up of lactic acid was thought to be a toxic metabolic waste product that caused the perception of pain at a delayed stage. This theory has been largely rejected, as concentric contractions which also produce lactic acid have been unable to cause DOMS.[12] Additionally, lactic acid is known from multiple studies to return to normal levels within one hour of exercise, and therefore can't cause the pain that occurs much later.[13]

Wrong.

During power exercises such as sprinting, when the rate of demand for energy is high, glucose is broken down and oxidized to pyruvate, and lactate is produced from the pyruvate faster than the tissues can remove it, so lactate concentration begins to rise.

Citation: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactic_acid#Exercise_and_lactate

greyhawk

Activity: 952
Merit: 1009

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 09:50:06 PM

It's both right. You have the increase in lactate concentration which causes the immediate soreness after training which disappears rather quickly and there's the microruptures in tissue which causes the soreness experienced in DOMS 24 hours later.
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:23:26 PM

They say that eating protein after you work out will help your muscles repair faster which will decrease soreness.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Tropical Rain

Activity: 14

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 10:33:19 PM

Hmmm
LosVegas

Activity: 99
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 03:43:40 PM

take a cold shower or ice bath. also shake your thighs to get the latic acid out, drink tons of water, and STRETCH BEFORE AND AFTER EXERCISE (MOST IMPORTANT) and continue to exercise every week. don't give up, not being able to get off the shitter been there done that but your body get used to working out and your legs/ muscles won't  stiffen up anymore.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: