Bitcoin Forum
June 28, 2024, 04:46:45 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining. Is just a hobby to me as I know I will never profit from it  (Read 3423 times)
SeanArce (OP)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:00:21 PM

True story

www.onefamous.org
https://soundcloud.com/naer-sri
15ZmN3d7WZDo4WbZwPFJMZcPMBDUkueGH7 - my  btc address
temor

Activity: 168

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:06:46 PM

Shame. It's a hobby for me too, but I am making massive profits! Smiley

Please make a post in my Reputation Thread if we've had a successful trade.
threeip

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:07:30 PM

Well, give us some numbers then. It is still unprofitable if a bitcoin was 'worth', say, $1000?

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็ GPG:2AFD99BB ಠ_ಠ mon
legitnick

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:11:34 PM

How come you will never profit from it? Make your hobby a full time job and upgrade to some better hardware!

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
adviceadam

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:12:07 PM

Well, give us some numbers then. It is still unprofitable if a bitcoin was 'worth', say, $1000?

If you paid for the mining equipment in Bitcoin, yeah probably. But if you buy it in fiat? Maybe. You're probably better off taking that money and just buying Bitcoin and investing it in ASICMINER or another company.
threeip

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:18:12 PM

If you paid for the mining equipment in Bitcoin, yeah probably. But if you buy it in fiat? Maybe. You're probably better off taking that money and just buying Bitcoin and investing it in ASICMINER or another company.

Well that's what I was asking him  Smiley

Maybe someone gave him a box of 7970s and he gets free power?
Or maybe he bought a BFL product and lives in the Solomon Islands (84.8c/kWh Shocked )

legitnick

Activity: 532

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:24:08 PM

Your probably better off just investing straight into Bitcoin at the moment. The prices are low for the potential value. I advise against pre ordering ASIC miner, whenever you get it (if you ever do) the bitcoin difficulty will be to high to ever return initial investment.

5 BITCOIN RAFFLE GIVEAWAY
"I dont lift" - Lord Furrycoat
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 05:28:20 PM

mining was never suppose to the the main profit maker of bitcoin.

and now we are at the evolutionary step that every economy gets to..... retail

back in the 1800's the "america's" were packed with a majority of new people thinking they can start a new life in america becoming rich mining gold. then came the point where hand tools would no longer make them rich. eventually people realised opening blacksmiths, saloons, barbar shops, bakery's would get them more income per day then mining.

so say you had £$100 spare per week or month.. 2 years ago people would spend that on GPU's

now.. some people are finding it better to buy 100 'fruit of the loom' T-shirts for £$1 each and selling them for the equivelent of £$3 but in bitcoin.

netting them over 3BTC.. maybe even selling 2BTC, keeping the third. and next week/month they can but 300 shirts netting them 9BTC. and holding a total of 10BTC for 2 weeks/months work.

retail is the way forward now.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
threeip

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 05:35:05 PM

Agreed. Commerce and trade. Think of what Silk Road has done for this platform (and with ethical objections aside - 1 pound of cocaine is no 'worse' to me than 1 pound of plastic trinkets from China)

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 09:08:55 PM

If you're not making a profit, you're doing it wrong.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
Moogle

Activity: 238

KUPO!

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 09:16:30 PM

Break Into your next door neighbours house and use his electricity. All profit that way!

suprabitz

Activity: 148

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 07:28:43 PM

or move to india just tap into the neighborhood grid!

threeip

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 08:06:35 PM

Yo dawg i heard you like power cables?

Aragami

Activity: 79
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 04:09:39 AM

Love it how kids can only see bitcoin in short term profit and cant appreciate the amount of $ they would make if they considered it a long term investment. Keep selling up your coins every week to make marginal profits kiddies =) <3
polarhei

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

Firing it up

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 08:38:38 AM

At the early stage, it is just a test. Later on,  more people have taken part in, then the fun begins.

I do it because of avenage of denial cases. Before serious steps, I have to test with sunk cost being and searching remote controls.

If you don't copy yourself, then it never get anything from it. It is not only bitcoin.
cdog

Activity: 1036

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:14:29 AM

What if 1 BTC were worth $1000 instead of $100? Or $10,000?

Dont write off your efforts. Think of all the people who mined hundreds or thousands of coins in the early days, and just wiped the drive containing their wallet or gave their old PC to charity or left it on the curb because they never thought BTC would be worth more than a penny or two each.

Mining is a grinders game, for long term bulls who want to mine and hold. Mining to sell immediately for fiat is silly, in my opinion.
polarhei

Firing it up

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 12:19:22 PM

mining was never suppose to the the main profit maker of bitcoin.

and now we are at the evolutionary step that every economy gets to..... retail

back in the 1800's the "america's" were packed with a majority of new people thinking they can start a new life in america becoming rich mining gold. then came the point where hand tools would no longer make them rich. eventually people realised opening blacksmiths, saloons, barbar shops, bakery's would get them more income per day then mining.

so say you had £$100 spare per week or month.. 2 years ago people would spend that on GPU's

now.. some people are finding it better to buy 100 'fruit of the loom' T-shirts for £$1 each and selling them for the equivelent of £$3 but in bitcoin.

netting them over 3BTC.. maybe even selling 2BTC, keeping the third. and next week/month they can but 300 shirts netting them 9BTC. and holding a total of 10BTC for 2 weeks/months work.

That's true. The mining only provides the basic needs, the next will be on other business, then you will get more. Before this, you still need to get material first. The people know about the statement, it needs gold first, then use the sold to make a business to obtain more...
polarhei

Firing it up

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 12:22:35 PM

What if 1 BTC were worth $1000 instead of $100? Or $10,000?

Dont write off your efforts. Think of all the people who mined hundreds or thousands of coins in the early days, and just wiped the drive containing their wallet or gave their old PC to charity or left it on the curb because they never thought BTC would be worth more than a penny or two each.

Mining is a grinders game, for long term bulls who want to mine and hold. Mining to sell immediately for fiat is silly, in my opinion.

Agreed, but not in early stage. There is a three-stage thing which may be useable to follow up. The first stage is currently still need to sell some for covering operation fee. The second atage is using the obtained to run your wish while you still mine. Third stage. You will no longer neeed to mine, you just do the retail parts for the output.
jhansen858

Activity: 364

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 05:22:35 AM

watching paint dry is just a hobby.  I know I'll never make money from it.

Hi forum: 1DDpiEt36VTJsiJunyBc3XtG6CcSAnsQ4p
drwho88888

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:15:53 AM

We're getting to the point now with difficulty over 21m where only ASIC machines are viable at current BTC rates.

No one knows where BTC rates are going. A lot of people hope they will rise to great heights but there's no real evidence that this will be the case and they could just as easily fall to zero. I'm hoping for the former like everyone else.

It would be nice to hear from some of those who were in the game a few years ago when difficulty was a few hundred and pools didn't exist. I'm sure there must be some great stories of fortunes being made.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: