Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:54:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Coinbase CEO Brian Armstrong Says: Bitcoin & Cryptocurrencies are the new stock  (Read 424 times)
GreenBits
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1048

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 02:44:52 AM

Check it out fellas, I gave my 2 cents about the subject in the video but I would love to hear your thoughts on what he said in the interview as well. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gel1GLJd3Ec

i would claim this for the erc20 token offerings that are securities, but not for bitcoin, specifically. bitcoin, being decentralized, is literally the opposite of what we traditionally call a "stock". its an asset, and a growth asset to boot. but stock represent singular entities, the corp that issues it. bitcoin is a consensus; bitcoin price simply reflects what we collectively want it to be.

some of the alts that are securities might fit this bill. even some of the better, more useful tokens. but bitcoin, specifically, has to sit this designation out.

Its Brian Armstrong, so I will give him a pass Wink but this statement bears a bit more consideration, imo.

at least he isnt a wallstreet bald head calling bitcoin a fraud Wink
Goosebump (OP)

Activity: 161
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 25, 2017, 09:06:30 PM

Check it out fellas, I gave my 2 cents about the subject in the video but I would love to hear your thoughts on what he said in the interview as well. Thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gel1GLJd3Ec

i would claim this for the erc20 token offerings that are securities, but not for bitcoin, specifically. bitcoin, being decentralized, is literally the opposite of what we traditionally call a "stock". its an asset, and a growth asset to boot. but stock represent singular entities, the corp that issues it. bitcoin is a consensus; bitcoin price simply reflects what we collectively want it to be.

some of the alts that are securities might fit this bill. even some of the better, more useful tokens. but bitcoin, specifically, has to sit this designation out.

Its Brian Armstrong, so I will give him a pass Wink but this statement bears a bit more consideration, imo.

at least he isnt a wallstreet bald head calling bitcoin a fraud Wink

I see your points, but with cryptocurrency, for the time being at least, largely viewed as stores of value, wouldn't you think that by MOST people they would view it as a stock? I am not saying that people who are in the cryptocommunity see it this way, but I assume that the large majority do. Especially since the only crypto they know is Bitcoin.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: