Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:03:07 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: At what price would you start buying BTC???
<10 USD
10-30 USD
30-50 USD
50-70 USD
70-90 USD
90+

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ...AND THE BOTTOM IS...  (Read 4018 times)
conspirosphere.tk (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:27:37 PM

That's the question.
Be honest, so that we all can figure the right BTC price.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
halfawake

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:32:27 PM

I bet people are panic selling right now by watching the price go down.  It's called a positive feedback loop: people see the price go down, go oh crap, better get out now, they sell, other people do the same and the process repeats. 

I was going to post a thread with a poll asking people if they're buying or selling or holding, but this is close enough to what I was going to ask that I'll just stick with this thread.  For those of you who are selling, my recommendation is to just hold your coins: selling is only going to make the drop in price worse than it is now. 

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Birdy

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:38:16 PM

I have just bought some coins ^^
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
June 28, 2013, 11:40:52 PM

wire arriving monday morning
MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:41:01 PM

I bet people are panic selling right now by watching the price go down.  It's called a positive feedback loop: people see the price go down, go oh crap, better get out now, they sell, other people do the same and the process repeats.  

I was going to post a thread with a poll asking people if they're buying or selling or holding, but this is close enough to what I was going to ask that I'll just stick with this thread.  For those of you who are selling, my recommendation is to just hold your coins: selling is only going to make the drop in price worse than it is now.  
And then, maybe you'll be left holding the bag.  Wink

Really, though, that sort of thinking doesn't benefit individual actors; it isn't based in rational self-interest. Telling people not to do something won't break the loop. Investors are trying to make (and keep) profits, not support the price.
peonminer

Activity: 798
Merit: 531

Crypto is King.

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:41:53 PM

I want to see that ass dive WAYYY down to the floor! >$10 USD FTW!!!! I Will dump loads of $ into BTC then C:
conspirosphere.tk (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:42:52 PM

I am personally holding (my BTC). If I had USD to play with, I would start buying at the first signs of trend reversal.
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
June 28, 2013, 11:48:26 PM

I bet people are panic selling right now by watching the price go down.  It's called a positive feedback loop: people see the price go down, go oh crap, better get out now, they sell, other people do the same and the process repeats.  

I was going to post a thread with a poll asking people if they're buying or selling or holding, but this is close enough to what I was going to ask that I'll just stick with this thread.  For those of you who are selling, my recommendation is to just hold your coins: selling is only going to make the drop in price worse than it is now.  
And then, maybe you'll be left holding the bag.  Wink

Really, though, that sort of thinking doesn't benefit individual actors; it isn't based in rational self-interest. Telling people not to do something won't break the loop. Investors are trying to make (and keep) profits, not support the price.

You're right, it doesn't.  It's a risk I'm willing to take.  I only have about $500 invested in bitcoin.  I know it's a gamble, but if Bitcoin really takes off long term, that $500 will be worth a hell of a lot more than the same amount invested in the stock market.  And if my gamble ends up being wrong, well, I'm only out $500, I can afford that kind of loss.

...The question of selling is basically academic for me anyway since my bitcoins are locked up in a Coinlenders CD, so I couldn't sell even if I wanted to now.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
Itcher

Activity: 364
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:43:32 PM

Hi, I'm new here and watch BTC just vor some weeks, so excuse me if I write glibberish stuff ... At the beginning I thought, like a lot of people here as I read lurking around this place, wow, BTC would soon explode ... than I realized - no. Not soon. Maybe sometimes. As I learned, BTC would survive everybody here, it doesn't has to run.

My guess for the bottom, if I am realistic: 12 $. Maybe 15, maybe less ... Maybe even less than 1$. My reasons?

First I see absolutely no reason, why BTC should rise in the next month. Commercial adaptation is far away, and no businessman ever would accept BTC if he had a glance at the charts. For that to happen we need a long and stable bottom and slowly rising prices. Than it would be a good deal for business-man to accept BTC, and as soon as amazon or ebay does, we'll see the moon. But this won't happen soon.

Second I see some fundamentals dumping the price:
- The miners. Even in the second reward era the Miners will collect 1.25 million BTC a year. I don't know how much they sell. Half of it? Even if price goes down to 50$ the market needs an inflow of more than 30Mio$ to keep price stable.
- the olders: How would you do, if you made hundredthousands of coins in 2009/10/11 for nearly nothing and see them at a price of 2013 - no matter if its 100, 50, 10$? I would sell, not a once, but continualy, maybe 1.000 a month, which would make me a good living and also I would rest on a big amount of BTC for when it is grown up.
- the investors: I don't know if really some greek or cyprics have jumped on the BTC-train to save their money from the hands of the bail-outing state. If they did, they never wanted to make BTC adapt anything. They just wanted to have a parking lot for the money. And when the nebula lifts and they find a new place for the money, the cash out. Maybe with win, so they are lucky.

In my opinion these trends are unavoidable. Do you see any trend up?

I actually not. As I said, commercial adaption is far away (I don't say it will never come, the opposite, I am optimistic with this). I martered my head with this issue. Maybe gambling? What if world of warcraft excepts bitcoins? Or, better, Satoshis? If I could, I would buy one BTC and hide 100.000.000 Satoshis in a virtuell world. If you take satoshis, they could become the universal currency for online-playing, and I think this would have real value, for players and game-developers ... No matter what's the price for a BTC - Satoshis will always be cheap enought.
conspirosphere.tk (OP)
Legendary

Bitcoin is antisemitic

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 12:54:21 PM

I see absolutely no reason, why BTC should rise in the next month.

Here is a reason big as an ocean:
Beware, the International Tax Man Cometh
http://ragingbullshit.com/2013/06/29/beware-the-international-tax-man-cometh
samson
Legendary

Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 02:02:44 PM

My USD is ready and waiting.
mp420

Activity: 501

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 03:33:40 PM

I answered $10 to $30 but for me it's more about time than about money. My idea of what's going to happen is based on an "informed gut feeling".  I think it's going to take several months for this downtrend to reach its conclusion. Maybe more than a year. I'd say at least 6 months but no more than 3 years.
naphto

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:23:47 PM

There is no bottom Sad
relm9

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 09:34:54 PM

Waaay too many people want to buy for the price to drop below $50. My guess is $70-80 will be the bottom.
Wagner2014

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:30:36 PM

$50 short-term

$10 - $30 medium-term

Hello, fellow Bitcoin Billionaires!!
Qoheleth
Legendary

Activity: 960
Merit: 1028

Spurn wild goose chases. Seek that which endures.

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 10:53:32 PM

My guess for the bottom, if I am realistic: 12 $. Maybe 15, maybe less ... Maybe even less than 1$.
I'm not going to argue about most of your post. But since you're new, I want to provide a history lesson, along with an argument as to why I consider <$1 to be an extremely unlikely scenario.

This is a chart of the end of 2011. After the first Big Bubble popped at $33/coin, the BTC market was in a downtrend. Many predicted, on this very forum, that BTC was dying and it was just a matter of time.

The price got to $2 in mid-November. At that time, Mt. Gox experienced the biggest trading volume ever - a record that remained unbroken for eighteen months. For several days, the market threatened to break through $2/BTC. It did not. Even in the face of a bubble that brought the price above $1/BTC and had been slowly sputtering out for six months, even among doomsayers who believed with all their hearts that the Bitcoin experiment had failed and prices like $30/coin were a one-time event, never to come again... even in such a climate, people wanted BTC for $2. People wanted them enough that the price never crossed that line. It was an insurmountable foundation of support, and from there the price began to climb again.

Now, the BTC price has beaten the previous bubble - market participants know that high prices were not a one-time opportunity. There are major online services that accept it, other than Silk Road. There's been media attention. In today's environment, what could possibly hurt confidence in the currency any worse than it was hurt in November 2011? What could possibly make people less confident in BTC than they were a year and a half ago, when they bought in with all their might at $2 a coin?

Don't get me wrong; I think the price is going to keep falling for a while. When I try to rule out my emotionality, the math of it looks like we're going to either $30ish or $11ish as our nadir. But given what happened in the latter days of 2011, I cannot imagine what would force the price below $2/coin that wouldn't have done it then.

If there is something that will make Bitcoin succeed, it is growth of utility - greater quantity and variety of goods and services offered for BTC. If there is something that will make Bitcoin fail, it is the prevalence of users convinced that BTC is a magic box that will turn them into millionaires, and of the con-artists who have followed them here to devour them.
RyNinDaCleM
Legendary

Activity: 2408
Merit: 1009

Legen -wait for it- dary

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 12:20:03 AM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 12:55:48 AM by RyNinDaCleM

My guess for the bottom, if I am realistic: 12 $. Maybe 15, maybe less ... Maybe even less than 1$.
I'm not going to argue about most of your post. But since you're new, I want to provide a history lesson, along with an argument as to why I consider <$1 to be an extremely unlikely scenario.

[img] snipped

This is a chart of the end of 2011. After the first Big Bubble popped at $33/coin, the BTC market was in a downtrend. Many predicted, on this very forum, that BTC was dying and it was just a matter of time.

The price got to $2 in mid-November. At that time, Mt. Gox experienced the biggest trading volume ever - a record that remained unbroken for eighteen months. For several days, the market threatened to break through $2/BTC. It did not. Even in the face of a bubble that brought the price above $1/BTC and had been slowly sputtering out for six months, even among doomsayers who believed with all their hearts that the Bitcoin experiment had failed and prices like $30/coin were a one-time event, never to come again... even in such a climate, people wanted BTC for $2. People wanted them enough that the price never crossed that line. It was an insurmountable foundation of support, and from there the price began to climb again.

Now, the BTC price has beaten the previous bubble - market participants know that high prices were not a one-time opportunity. There are major online services that accept it, other than Silk Road. There's been media attention. In today's environment, what could possibly hurt confidence in the currency any worse than it was hurt in November 2011? What could possibly make people less confident in BTC than they were a year and a half ago, when they bought in with all their might at $2 a coin?

Don't get me wrong; I think the price is going to keep falling for a while. When I try to rule out my emotionality, the math of it looks like we're going to either $30ish or $11ish as our nadir. But given what happened in the latter days of 2011, I cannot imagine what would force the price below $2/coin that wouldn't have done it then.

Just splitting hairs here... Smiley
The low was $1.994 and only came because of MASSIVE forced liquidations from Bitcoinica. Otherwise, $2 would not have been breached.

ChrisJ

Activity: 146

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 12:26:16 AM

Wise words.

I want to make the world better than I found it
thef

Activity: 154

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 12:35:49 AM

I would have to think the bottom is higher than $50. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but the price never dropped below that amount even with everyone in full panic mode in April. I hope I'm not being naively optimistic here.
Wagner2014

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 12:46:15 AM

I would have to think the bottom is higher than $50. I don't remember exactly how it happened, but the price never dropped below that amount even with everyone in full panic mode in April. I hope I'm not being naively optimistic here.

What makes you think it'll hold at $50?

Hello, fellow Bitcoin Billionaires!!
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: