Bitcoin Forum
September 25, 2016, 10:30:39 PM *
News: Due to DDoS attacks, there may be periodic downtime.
 
   Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin 0.3 win64 - broken access to APPDATA if non-latin characters in username  (Read 3337 times)
m0mchil
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Activity: 171


View Profile
July 08, 2010, 09:33:16 AM
 #1

I know it's not the smartest move to name my user account using non-latin characters. Anyway, 0.2 has no problems with this.

Verified as follows... created a 'normal' new user and 0.3 opened the data folder. Created new, fresh data folder and copied it to the non-standard user - 0.3 fails with DB_RUN_RECOVERY.

1474842639
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1474842639

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1474842639
Reply with quote  #2

1474842639
Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
1474842639
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1474842639

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1474842639
Reply with quote  #2

1474842639
Report to moderator
1474842639
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1474842639

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1474842639
Reply with quote  #2

1474842639
Report to moderator
satoshi
Founder
Sr. Member
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 364


View Profile
July 08, 2010, 06:24:19 PM
 #2

Thanks for finding that.  We switched from ANSI in 0.2 to UTF-8 in version 0.3, so it must be related to that.

Just to confirm, if you log in with the non-latin character username, not having an appdata/Bitcoin directory yet, and run Bitcoin and let it create the database from scratch, does it work or not?
satoshi
Founder
Sr. Member
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 364


View Profile
July 09, 2010, 03:01:35 AM
 #3

I think I see where the problem is.  Coincidentally, I recently coded a replacement for the function in question which should fix it.  It's not enabled yet, but in the SVN version it prints a debug message in debug.log showing the new directory value and old value for comparison.
satoshi
Founder
Sr. Member
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 364


View Profile
July 09, 2010, 03:37:05 PM
 #4

I tested this with a non-lower-ASCII account name on XP and confirmed the bug, then tested that the new GetDefaultDataDir fixed it.  This change is revision 102 of the SVN.
m0mchil
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Activity: 171


View Profile
July 12, 2010, 08:26:21 AM
 #5

I wasn't able to respond for a while.

Satoshi, your are fast Shocked! Thanks for fixing this!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.
Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!