Bitcoin Forum
December 01, 2021, 02:00:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 22.0 [Torrent]
 
   Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: bitcoin 0.3 win64 - broken access to APPDATA if non-latin characters in username  (Read 11034 times)
m0mchil
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Activity: 171
Merit: 101


View Profile
July 08, 2010, 09:33:16 AM
 #1

I know it's not the smartest move to name my user account using non-latin characters. Anyway, 0.2 has no problems with this.

Verified as follows... created a 'normal' new user and 0.3 opened the data folder. Created new, fresh data folder and copied it to the non-standard user - 0.3 fails with DB_RUN_RECOVERY.

1638324026
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1638324026

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1638324026
Reply with quote  #2

1638324026
Report to moderator
1638324026
Hero Member
*
Offline Offline

Posts: 1638324026

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
1638324026
Reply with quote  #2

1638324026
Report to moderator
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
satoshi
Founder
Sr. Member
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 364
Merit: 3487


View Profile
July 08, 2010, 06:24:19 PM
 #2

Thanks for finding that.  We switched from ANSI in 0.2 to UTF-8 in version 0.3, so it must be related to that.

Just to confirm, if you log in with the non-latin character username, not having an appdata/Bitcoin directory yet, and run Bitcoin and let it create the database from scratch, does it work or not?
satoshi
Founder
Sr. Member
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 364
Merit: 3487


View Profile
July 09, 2010, 03:01:35 AM
 #3

I think I see where the problem is.  Coincidentally, I recently coded a replacement for the function in question which should fix it.  It's not enabled yet, but in the SVN version it prints a debug message in debug.log showing the new directory value and old value for comparison.
satoshi
Founder
Sr. Member
*
Offline Offline

Activity: 364
Merit: 3487


View Profile
July 09, 2010, 03:37:05 PM
 #4

I tested this with a non-lower-ASCII account name on XP and confirmed the bug, then tested that the new GetDefaultDataDir fixed it.  This change is revision 102 of the SVN.
m0mchil
Full Member
***
Offline Offline

Activity: 171
Merit: 101


View Profile
July 12, 2010, 08:26:21 AM
 #5

I wasn't able to respond for a while.

Satoshi, your are fast Shocked! Thanks for fixing this!

Pages: [1]
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2006-2009, Simple Machines Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!