Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 02:33:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Miners quitting en masse -- so it begins.  (Read 11391 times)
skyhigh

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 08:26:27 AM

Angelus, not so long ago we hit 10 TH after 2 years of mining or to put it more correctly since the move to GPU mining, which started early this year. It took us months to get to 10 TH.

Do you realize that it will only take less than 3 months to double that to 20 TH ?  Which tells you that for every 1 GH that leaves the market there is 2 GH of new capacity added at every given moment or we would never reach 20 TH that we will have by August maybe even late July.

Do you realize that when we are at 20 TH and we will double to 40 TH by the end of this year, that we will in a very short period of time, lets say 3 months,  add more hashing power that we had all the time combined up to that point?

While you starting threads saying Miners quitting en masse -- so it begins.

And you think your points are valid and noone showed you are/were wrong ? If miners were quitting en masse, we all know including you, that overall hashing power would start to go lower, not fluctuate for a few days and then again head higher like all the time so far. You jumping your gun when you try to bring us your minute to minute updates in the 400 posts since you joined 50 days ago. You have as many posts per day as there are blocks per hour being solved by the miners quitting en masse. Think before you post your next new thread in 4 hours.

Keep on posting.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Fuzzy

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 08:31:42 AM

I WISH miners would quit en masse. Looked like hashing power was beginning to stabilize a few days ago at 10.0 TH, after the huge difficulty increase, but now it's rocketing up again.
Not sure if it's more people joining, or big business trying to take a piece of the pie.
Maasu

Activity: 12
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 12:33:29 PM

If you read the newbie forum, it's full of people asking if they should start investing in a mining rig now, and about 2 pages of people saying they should, I suspect this is the reason we see the increase in the network speed.

As I mentioned in another thread, people are just making this assumption that the difficulty increase has stabilised, ignoring the fact that as soon as it does, a load of people are going to go out and buy hardware.

In under a month I reckon we'll be around 3million difficulty, and in two we'll see 6 million, any one investing now really hasn't done their home work.

Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:40:58 PM

I don't think we are having huge increase of hardware joining network at this moment in time. There might be some expansion and new miners joining in but not anywhere close to additional 1/3 or so of network capacity.
Network hashing rate is not an actual number but an estimation based on speed of finding blocks, if we are finding blocks faster than average expectation then hashing rate shown higher than it actually is. Same thing as you see in pools for your own hashing speeds.

My assumption we are still at 10-11Thash/s rate based on average numbers I've seen reported by BitcoinCharts in recent times.
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 04:50:47 PM

Well, "the proof is in the pudding".  When the difficulty actually resets (whenever that is, it seems to be quite the moving target at the moment) we'll see what % it goes up. That's how much capacity was added to the network -- by somebody

Was it a bunch of dumb kids buying 5830's for $150 and up? Was it existing miners strategically adding a card or two?  Was it larger operations following existing expansion plans? We'll probably never know.

All I know is that network capacity doesn't seem to be stopping or reversing, EVEN IF there are a lot more people selling entire operations than there were, say, 2 weeks ago.

Just because a dozen people are quitting mining doesn't mean that TWO DOZEN aren't starting up for the first time. It's possible.

Matthew
tanerlorn

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:00:32 PM

Your lack of knowledge is unfathomable.

For example, if the difficulty increases slightly, it might not be all due to "little dumb college kids who I look down my nose on because I am a mighty web designer" having their Mom buy them 5830s.

It could simply be from miners as a whole running luckier for that time period. Network hash and difficulty is just based on how many blocks are solved per hour on average, a moving average. Solving a block takes luck. We have to realize that difficulty moving up just might mean everyone mining was luckier than usual that week. Of course, right now it is likely that more hashing power is being added, but IT IS NOT A GUARANTEE. You assume way too much about everything....go write some css.
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:17:15 PM

I have no more idea what is going on than anyone else, but I like to sound important so I'm going to phrase the fact that I don't know anything in vague but impressive sounding semantically empty sentences.

Matthew

Network trends vary, obviously anything COULD be happening, but why not present data instead and let people come to their own conclusions?

Latest data, steady, big surge, huge drop, surge, drop. To me that mostly looks like a moderately increasing hashrate with some variance of luck. But then I guess you already knew that because you're so "quick" as you put it.
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:35:58 PM

I actually meant to mention that (but forgot) -- it could all just be luck. But what are the chance that we're all just lucky?

It's POSSIBLE that someone will leave a $5,000 gift at my front door -- but not likely. We have to go with what's probable, not just possible.

It's more likely that hardware is being added by someone.
Serge
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 05:45:42 PM

I actually meant to mention that (but forgot) -- it could all just be luck. But what are the chance that we're all just lucky?

It's POSSIBLE that someone will leave a $5,000 gift at my front door -- but not likely. We have to go with what's probable, not just possible.

Currently next difficulty increase is looking to be aprox. 15%, which is due somewhere around next Tue-Wed
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 06:53:15 PM

...says the man who started the thread titled "Miners quitting en masse -- so it begins."
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 07:12:04 PM

difficulty, i think, will have to be above 2+ million before any exodus will even start to show up.
even then you can still make a pretty decent amount of money off 1000 mh/s per day
assuming $15 per BTC. (.5 BTC per day on 1000 mh/s with 2 million difficutly).

AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 07:18:21 PM

...says the man who started the thread titled "Miners quitting en masse -- so it begins."

Are you really that dense?

I just explained how miners could be quitting en masse AND difficulty could go up. They are not mutually exclusive.

What if the miners who AREN'T quitting add hardware, even as several miners quit? And then there are the completely new miners...

Don't put words in my mouth. It makes you look stupid.

Oh, and didn't I say in the title of the thread, "so it begins"? That implies that it's JUST STARTING. Often times, when things happen they start out slow at first. Look at the growth of Bitcoin. It didn't happen all at once.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 07:32:25 PM

Are you really that dense?

I just explained how miners could be quitting en masse AND difficulty could go up. They are not mutually exclusive.

What if the miners who AREN'T quitting add hardware, even as several miners quit? And then there are the completely new miners...

Don't put words in my mouth. It makes you look stupid.

Oh, and didn't I say in the title of the thread, "so it begins"? That implies that it's JUST STARTING. Often times, when things happen they start out slow at first. Look at the growth of Bitcoin. It didn't happen all at once.
Your thread title IMPLIES that mining power is lowering.  Of course more people could be joining the mining project than people who are getting out of it, but that's not the implication of your thread title.  Your thread title makes a person immediately think "Oh, miners are quitting, hashing power is going down, the network is becoming less secure, etc etc".  No one is going to look at your thread title and say "Well, of course he only means that a few miners are quitting, and a lot more are joining!"

Oh, and thanks for resorting to personal insults because I pointed out the irony between your sensationalist thread title and the posts you are subsequently making in this thread.  Roll Eyes
skyhigh

Activity: 142
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 08:37:23 PM

When I joined this forum last month, I thought the knowledge here was above average. But then I realized that is not the case. I really don't understand how majority here don't know the simple basic math behind the Bitcoin project so far and its short term future.

12 TH is only about 20.000 GPU. If we assume average miner has 2 GPU cards, (I think I'm being generous here) that's ONLY 10.000 miners so far. If we assume there is about 100.000 unique exchange accounts (I think I'm being generous again).  Out of 2bill internet users, of which lets say 500 million are online every day, 100k represents NOTHING.

There are millions of internet users that RIGHT NOW have decent radeon cards that are able to mine, but they just didn't hear about this stuff yet. By millions I'm thinking 10+ millions, not 1.35 million. At such an early stage in a pool of 10 million possible miners, computing power will easy grow at 1% or better EVERY day for a long time. Whoever doesn't understand this and accept it as a fact, has no idea how enormous the whole internet is.

The project needs to grow, and by growing there will be more and more miners. The early miners who are quitting are some what missing the bigger picture here. They have their own reasons, mainly its commercial miners who bought semi big and would now still want to get the max out of their used hardware. Which is OK. That doesn't change anything or much in the bitcoin project as a whole. We are only at 6.7mill coins out of 21mill. We need new miners and traders/speculators NOW & ALWAYS so we can keep moving forward. The thing is, system needs new miners/traders or it can stall and die, there is no future for bitcoin if same group of 100k users will trade among themselves. All we doing is making exchange owners richer, but in the end everything would go down to zero and be almost useless. The good news is, chances of this to happen are almost zero, based on the fact that there is so much unused power out there waiting to get to work.

So far the risk reward factor was big, but whoever was able to risk had a big chance to recoup that amount in a SUPER very short time. With this massive expansion in June things are starting to change and some people were caught off guard with their math and dreams that this bitcoin mining will somehow made them rich. Kinda sad but OK, people can dream.

Where to next ?

Only way is up ! Network will keep on growing, this is because so far there is only 20.000 GPU cards mining out of lets say potential 10.000.000. Of course there will be down days where network will drop for a while, but overall it will grow at a high rate. Difficulty most likely won't jump as much as it did in June anytime soon. People need to understand that even at 5-10% every 2 weeks this will grow into enormous number quick which means less and less bitcoin per user, but that is a good thing, because this way project has more chance to succeed. The bad/funny part is, it won't make YOU rich if that were your dreams pre June BOOM.
Mousepotato

Activity: 896

Seal Cub Clubbing Club

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 08:52:39 PM

When I joined this forum last month, I thought the knowledge here was above average. But then I realized that is not the case. I really don't understand how majority here don't know the simple basic math behind the Bitcoin project so far and its short term future.

You gotta remember that a lot of bitminers, myself included, are just gamers who have found a new use for their hardware.  Most of us have BFGs, not PHDs.

Mousepotato
film2240
Legendary

Activity: 1022

Freelance videographer

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 04:22:04 PM

Does anyone have an idea of how the difficulty will change?because I heard rumours of a possible decrease sometime last week.I wonder if there a way to see the numbers of people quitting mining vs those that are still mining?

Who knows,the current difficulty?can they tell me?

Will I see a rise in value again or is the value just getting lower again for the bitcoins?because at somepoint I'll need to trade them in.Will there be any significant increases like we saw before the mt exchange crash in june?

[This signature is available for rent.BTC/ETH/LTC or £50 equivalent a month]
BitcoinRigs.com

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2011, 06:18:54 PM

Current difficulty: http://blockexplorer.com/q/getdifficulty
Estimate for next difficulty: http://blockexplorer.com/q/estimate

Dedicated Bitcoin Mining Rigs from http://bitcoinrigs.com/
AngelusWebDesign (OP)

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:10:38 PM

Necro-bump!

(We need a zombie smilie...)
mute20

Activity: 265

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 07:12:44 PM

I was afraid difficulty would keep increasing after the rally. Looks like we might get a decent decrease.
wndrbr3d

Activity: 914

View Profile
August 24, 2011, 08:28:04 PM

What I don't think OP realizes is two important points:

- computer hardware depreciates at an alarming rate (without bitcoins help)
- bitcoin is DESIGNED to depreciate hardware used on it (by virtue of difficulty)

So to this end, I think the future of mining is going to be in the favor of the casual home user who buys a GPU as a multi-tasker, to both play games and then mine for bitcoins while it's idle.

BUT

The exception here is that the OP is underestimating the general public's reasoning abilities. I use projects like Folding@home and SETI@home as examples. These projects are advertised to "use your computers spare cycles", without also admitting by virtue of your computer being on, it's costing you money. So every month, *@home users are donating $20-$30 to a project of their choice by proxy of their power bill.

AND THE KICKER here is that people do this for $0 in "in pocket" returns!

So as long as bitcoin can make someone $0.01 in pocket, people are going to mine. People won't necessarily INVEST in new hardware specifically to mine, but people will continue to mine.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: