Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 11:24:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Murder Trial in the Bitcoin Public eye  (Read 4094 times)
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 05:59:36 PM

First, condolences for your loss.

I think if you are going to go forward you should study up on what sort of charges apply in this case.  You need to have a grasp of things like mens rea and also the fact that a lawyer will generally always tell you that you have a case because they have a vested interest in going to trial.  I'm not saying you don't have a case, the facts are not clear, but if you really want to champion this, you'd do yourself a lot of good to understand the law a little. 

From a cursory glance at the situation, it looks like you might be able to file a civil wrongful death lawsuit but again, I'm not an attorney and don't know all of the facts.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
cointoss

Activity: 92
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:17:55 PM

Quote from: FinShaggy
I want to find some people to come with and party, and film. From there we will regroup and some people will go home, while the rest continue to Trinidad. Then we will do the same an go to Venezuela, then make our way to Nigeria. Whose down?

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=245858.0

Looking for some funds for your trip??  Roll Eyes

QQCoin: QQSRP5u9yL7KtDAsGX7XmQ6QxHiA7BCGAv    doge: D8yy1FW5FdkoFCQP1nQeWGKX3ugcbegpJD

BTC: 15ExWcdDN38o852bC2jBEuC5igqp8gdtAK             EAC: eV9qafrM8uGaNzbvLXRCVVXkmmysUv7fud
cointoss

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:20:11 PM

...Your brother dies and somehow publicity for Bitcoin comes to your mind? What the hell??  Huh

QQCoin: QQSRP5u9yL7KtDAsGX7XmQ6QxHiA7BCGAv    doge: D8yy1FW5FdkoFCQP1nQeWGKX3ugcbegpJD

BTC: 15ExWcdDN38o852bC2jBEuC5igqp8gdtAK             EAC: eV9qafrM8uGaNzbvLXRCVVXkmmysUv7fud
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:41:54 PM

I'm sorry about your brother but my gut tells me you are having an emotional reaction rather than a rational one.
I read his obituary in the baseball thread, I understand that he has a different biological father than you, and it is not uncommon to lash out at a step-dad.

Tell what you know to the police. If they think there is an issue, let them handle it.

I do not mean to sound like a troll but let me tell you what will happen if the police do not handle this and you hire a private investigator and try to sue him for wrongful death.

The first thing that will happen is your drug history with marijuana and shrooms will be brought up. You will be portrayed as a paranoid delusional drug abuser. The jury will almost certainly agree. Sorry to break it to you, but if he's a geologist working for oil, he's got money and quite possibly legal insurance. You will not be able to match his resources and you are easy for his legal team team to portray as a society castout drug abuser.

It will not end well for you and will do nothing for your brother. I almost guarantee it.

Give your suspicions to the police, and pray that if your step-dad did this thing, the police pursue it. That's all you can do.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
bassclef

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:44:00 PM

So, what again does this have to do with Bitcoin? If it's a charity, focus on the charity. Your legal problems are none of our business.
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 06:53:55 PM

Finshaggy, you dont ask on a god damned bitcoin thread.  You involve the police now. Nobody in the bitcoin community is an expert on this I'll wager. You involve the police and hope they send that motherfucker to prison or death.  Don't ever ask for this kind of advice in this community.  Ask for police/detective and get the job done.
FinShaggy (OP)

Activity: 196

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 06:56:15 PM

I think if you are going to go forward you should study up on what sort of charges apply in this case.  You need to have a grasp of things like mens rea and also the fact that a lawyer will generally always tell you that you have a case because they have a vested interest in going to trial.  I'm not saying you don't have a case, the facts are not clear, but if you really want to champion this, you'd do yourself a lot of good to understand the law a little. 

From a cursory glance at the situation, it looks like you might be able to file a civil wrongful death lawsuit but again, I'm not an attorney and don't know all of the facts.

The attorney I spoke to said he is a criminal defense lawyer and can not take my case. So their is no bias there,

If everyone is thinking outside the box, there is a new box.
FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 06:57:52 PM

...Your brother dies and somehow publicity for Bitcoin comes to your mind? What the hell??  Huh

No, my brother died and I happen to be on a bitcoin thread a lot. So I thought maybe I would ask you guys for advice on lawyers and maybe some council.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 06:58:41 PM

So, what again does this have to do with Bitcoin? If it's a charity, focus on the charity. Your legal problems are none of our business.

It not a charity. It's the first murder trial offered to be publicized by any bitcoin media outlet.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 06:59:53 PM

Finshaggy, you dont ask on a god damned bitcoin thread.  You involve the police now. Nobody in the bitcoin community is an expert on this I'll wager. You involve the police and hope they send that motherfucker to prison or death.  Don't ever ask for this kind of advice in this community.  Ask for police/detective and get the job done.

I need a legal team or else I look like a 21 year old, (financially) broke, emotionally distressed stoner. All I ask is for help is finding that legal team.

gweedo
Legendary

Activity: 1498

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 07:03:50 PM

Finshaggy, you dont ask on a god damned bitcoin thread.  You involve the police now. Nobody in the bitcoin community is an expert on this I'll wager. You involve the police and hope they send that motherfucker to prison or death.  Don't ever ask for this kind of advice in this community.  Ask for police/detective and get the job done.

I need a legal team or else I look like a 21 year old, (financially) broke, emotionally distressed stoner. All I ask is for help is finding that legal team.

No you still look like that. No legal team is doing this for free. You acting like an idiot, we got it your brother died, and your upset, and want revenge on something that was little more than mistake, I think you need psychological help, and not to be on an internet forum.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:00:05 PM

The attorney I spoke to said he is a criminal defense lawyer and can not take my case. So their is no bias there,

Right, but what I'm telling you is that YOU cannot charge this person with a criminal offense.  A prosecutor needs to do this so it doesn't make any sense that you want legal counsel.  Your only option is to go to the authorities and have them handle it.  They'll look at the evidence and prosecute him if they have enough evidence.  It's not like you can get a lawyer and charge the guy with murder, it doesn't work that way.

The only time you would need a lawyer is if you are going after him in a civil case, which means you receive monetary compensation, the guy doesn't go to jail.  Think of the OJ trial. 

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
surebet

Activity: 495
Merit: 507

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:16:08 PM

Then he said in his gremlin voice "we will talk when I get back on the seventh", which makes me think he plans to kill me on the seventh.

And as I said before, all I ask is that he sit with me respectfully, respectfully, and discuss my dead brothers charity. OR that he be charged for his crimes.

tl;dr he tried to shake down his step-dad for a hundred thousand dollars to start a "charity" and it failed, so he's asking money here to do the police's job of investigating a murder. He's also channelling dank and has hit the "people are out to kill me" stage of weed overuse.
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:26:35 PM

What?  You think someone killed a child and you haven't called the police?  I don't understand.

No, I KNOW someone killed a child. The police were contacted, and no one pressed charges. But I was not present for that, so I am now doing my part.

The body is at the morgue, they have even done an autopsy. It's not like this is going on in a weird way.

Murder isn't the kind of crime that one can choose not press charges on...the state always presses charged for the crime, you can't stop it...but there must be some evidence to charge someone...and it does not require funding to prosecute. I'm confused...Huh

Murder IS the kind of thing to can choose to press charges on. Look at the Walmart Heiress, she committed vehicular manslaughter but the family decided not to press charges.

And it is being treating as a "death from natural" causes type thing, but I do not call a bad parent "natural causes".

There is evidence. He has claimed on record, at the hospital and to family members that he brought the M&Ms home, HE put them in a bag separate from the one labeled with warnings. And he coaxed my brother to eat them.

Intent or not, there was a murder committed the way I see it. The rest of the family sees an accident. I see a bad parent that deserves to not raise another child (which he has one, one year younger, which is also my brother).

My daughter and I were shot, and she died.  I have been through a murder trial, and I have read the relevant law carefully and discussed it with the district attorney.  While I am not a lawyer, I do have at least this much direct experience.

There are two broad divisions: criminal and civil.  Murder is criminal.  The two parties in a criminal action are the defendant (your stepdad) and the state (whatever state you live in).

The prosecutor represents the state.  While his interests may be close to yours, he does not represent you.  You will not have standing in the case.  At most, you can be a witness.  Everyone will be watching you for a variety of reasons, including your emotional stability with a view toward whether you will act improperly in the courtroom.  

Let me expand a bit on "you will not have standing in the case."  This means that no lawyer can represent you in this criminal matter.  

My general impression from reading your threads is that, yes, you went through a horrific event.  By the way, this is true for every witness or family member in a murder trial, so you are just "the next case" in the prosecutor's office.  My impression continues that you appear to be a hot head, emotionally driven, and you tend to try to fit the facts to your emotions.  That is a dead end approach, and it will make the prosecutors believe that they have to "manage" you.

The defense attorney will do everything he can to put your stepdad into a good light.  For example, he might say that he was just playing, and that you brother knew that the peanuts were moved.  Presumably anything the defense attorney says is true, but "true" can be very slippery when he says "My client says ...."

In a bigger picture, and without knowing the answers to lots of important questions, I think your larger responsibility in the present is to your mother and brother.  Presumably she is in danger, and presumably she at one time was very devoted to your stepdad.  She is probably very conflicted in her thinking right now.  Some basic questions for you to consider are whether she herself is in immediate and clear danger, and as a completely separate question, whether she will remove herself from the danger and stay removed.  If she will return to your stepdad, it becomes much more difficult to help her.

I try to be respectful and informed.
cointoss

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:40:35 PM

Why would you expect people send you Bitcoins when you haven't even provided any proof that any of this even happened?

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4228
Merit: 4490

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:45:54 PM

after 14 projects finshaggy has attempted to unleash on this forum in under 40 days, some as barbaric as a bitcoin town where he is the mayor and he decide what people use their private land for.

some are to fund his round the world trips

some are librarys, cyber cafe's

oh and not to forget his cancer cure.. (selling weed)

finshaggy has finally got to step 1 of recovery. admitting he has a problem and needs help.

he knows enough to know if he wants his step dad in jail a solicitor is not the first thing to ask for. the police are required (criminal). as going the solicitor route will only end is a court fine (civil)

as for the other 13 projects he has finally addmitted why they will never prosper and why he should not lead the projects

i will use this very quote for any future projects he proposes, with the intent to extort money from people using these tactic.

i myself have lost family members and although there is sympathy towards him... extorting $100k from his step dad for a charity is enough to cause any man to become aggressive when finshaggy does not drop the subject. and this is not evidence of a brutal murderer, this is evidence of a provoked person

We texted all day yesterday about the charity we plan to set up for my dead brother,
I asked if we could speak about the charity, as we had planned in our texts and he said "I'm not in the mood to talk to you", and it was literally in the tone of a gremlin, which makes me think he is thinking evil thoughts.
you honestly cannot, with a rational mind go from trusting a persons morals to want to sign him as a board member of a charity one minute. and accuse him of murder the exact same day, purely based on his reactions to your endless chatter about a $100k charity.
finshaggy please stop smoking weed and spending every opportunity of your life looking for ways to grab money from other people to fuel your next high.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:54:30 PM

We texted all day yesterday about the charity we plan to set up for my dead brother,
I asked if we could speak about the charity, as we had planned in our texts and he said "I'm not in the mood to talk to you", and it was literally in the tone of a gremlin, which makes me think he is thinking evil thoughts.

finshaggy please stop smoking weed and spending every opportunity of your life looking for ways to grab money from other people to fuel your next high.

Yes, this makes no sense. One sets up charity for the living, not for the dead (you can't help a person who is already dead, you can't bring him to life, even if you raise $100k for this purpose).

Finshaggy, go to the link I posted and call in the radio show. If there is a civil case for you, he'll help. If there is a criminal case, he'll help you structure your arguments in a way that prosecutor finds interesting for him (easy to win).
bassclef

Activity: 924

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 08:55:01 PM

It not a charity. It's the first murder trial offered to be publicized by any bitcoin media outlet.

Although I'm sorry for your brother, this isn't the place. If you need pro bono legal help, check the Legal subforum. I'm afraid that's the best you're going to get.
cointoss

View Profile
June 29, 2013, 10:15:28 PM

I have notified your Father in Law that you are publicly accusing him of murder.

FinShaggy (OP)

Google/YouTube

View Profile WWW
June 29, 2013, 11:38:23 PM

Finshaggy, you dont ask on a god damned bitcoin thread.  You involve the police now. Nobody in the bitcoin community is an expert on this I'll wager. You involve the police and hope they send that motherfucker to prison or death.  Don't ever ask for this kind of advice in this community.  Ask for police/detective and get the job done.

No you still look like that. No legal team is doing this for free. You acting like an idiot, we got it your brother died, and your upset, and want revenge on something that was little more than mistake, I think you need psychological help, and not to be on an internet forum.

I'm not asking for free help, or the money. I am just looking for the people.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: