Bitcoin Forum
May 31, 2024, 02:01:06 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to claim my BTG?  (Read 361 times)
celoso (OP)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 03:47:44 PM

This is basically my situation.

I had some bitcoin in my blockchain.info wallet and I kept it there as they said it needed to be there on the day of the BTG fork. I do have a private key which a friend figured out for me.
Now it seems that my blockchain.info wallet does not support bitcoin gold. I tried to find some information on what to do to be able to claim my BTG or even if it's possible at all, but cant find any concrete info.
I read somewhere that I can transfer my wallet to a wallet that does support BTG. I heard the hardware wallet Ledger nano does support BTG. So if I buy a ledger nano would I be able to claim my BTG on there? If yes, please tell me how.

Please help me out here. If my story is missing any info, let me know.

Thank you in advance.
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 04:01:06 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2017, 04:44:43 PM by AdolfinWolf

I had some bitcoin in my blockchain.info wallet and I kept it there as they said it needed to be there on the day of the BTG fork. I do have a private key which a friend figured out for me.
Now it seems that my blockchain.info wallet does not support bitcoin gold. I tried to find some information on what to do to be able to claim my BTG or even if it's possible at all, but cant find any concrete info.
I read somewhere that I can transfer my wallet to a wallet that does support BTG. I heard the hardware wallet Ledger nano does support BTG. So if I buy a ledger nano would I be able to claim my BTG on there? If yes, please tell me how.

Thank you in advance.

If they support it, then yes, you should simply be able to import your private keys and the balance should show up.

There's dozens of guides out there for the ledger wallet already, https://coinsutra.com/bitcoin-gold-ledger-wallet/

EDIT: TIL, importing it is simply not possible.

TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 7105

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 04:34:24 PM

I heard the hardware wallet Ledger nano does support BTG. So if I buy a ledger nano would I be able to claim my BTG on there?
No. You would only be able to store BTG there. But not claim your BTG from your old wallet because there is no import option in Ledger Nano S.
You would need to import your private key in a BTG compatible wallet and then send your Bitcoin Gold to your Ledger Nano S wallet.

You can see which wallets suport BTG in their website: https://bitcoingold.org/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Boseda

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:02:51 PM

Is there a way to claim BTG on https://btgwallet.online/?
Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 05:04:20 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2017, 05:38:22 PM by Bitfort

I heard the hardware wallet Ledger nano does support BTG. So if I buy a ledger nano would I be able to claim my BTG on there?
No. You would only be able to store BTG there. But not claim your BTG from your old wallet because there is no import option in Ledger Nano S.
You would need to import your private key in a BTG compatible wallet and then send your Bitcoin Gold to your Ledger Nano S wallet.

You can see which wallets suport BTG in their website: https://bitcoingold.org/

Not entirely true. You can use sweep function instead (this function is not available in native ledger app, but when you are using ledger with electrum this option is possible).

@OP You have been provided with instructions already. But if something is not clear, you can check my thread about BTG https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2347158.0

Is there a way to claim BTG on ht tps://btgwallet.online/
My quick advice. Stay away. Better to use well established wallets ... too many scams around and this domain seems fishy to me  ... one of the cheapest possible domains (if not free). Would you trust such service?

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 06:15:06 PM

Thank you in advance.

Be careful of using new or unknown wallets, even officially endorsed once.
Some days ago a lot of users got their private keys stolen by using mybtgwallet.com

Before you do anything, make a new wallet and transfer all your bitcoins to that new wallet.
Besides Ledger, your safest option now would be coinomi.com . Install the app on your phone or tablet, then sweep the old private keys.
ahmedjamal1998

Activity: 714
Merit: 537

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 09:43:46 PM

I just sold my Bitcoin Gold coins a few hours ago. I actually wanted to sell them since I got them (I mean I didn't mean or have the intentions to hold on that shitcoin).

The easiest way so far was using Coinomi. Download the app from Google play store. And then choose bitcoin Gold. You'll then have an option to sweep an old wallet by inserting your private keys to any addresses from which you want to import your coins.

I did that and then sent all the coins to Bittrex's wallet obviously to sell them for btc.
From your new BTG Coinomi wallet's Overview page, click on .../Sweep Wallet, and enter the private key

clip123

Activity: 193
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 01:25:39 AM

First move your bitcoin to new wallet (preferably new seed) this way transactions are not replayed on the original chain or lost of funds.

Export private key (after moving your bitcoin BTC to safe address) and import it on a bitcoin gold wallet. Currently their GitHub and site wallets are compromised to you may want to wait until this is fixed.
jerry0

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 05:10:06 AM

Is this recommended to be done on a different computer?  I read that claiming bitcoin cash, you should use another computer.  I assume using this on the same computer as bitcoin cash would be fine?  What about doing this on same computer as you keeping btc on the same computer with electrum?
Bitfort

Activity: 952
Merit: 339

invest trade and gamble wisely

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 07:56:52 AM

Is this recommended to be done on a different computer?  I read that claiming bitcoin cash, you should use another computer.  I assume using this on the same computer as bitcoin cash would be fine?  What about doing this on same computer as you keeping btc on the same computer with electrum?

You can use same computer, that's fine.

MY HINTs
◄M► MINING
◄G► GAMBLING
◄E► EXCHANGE

◄E► (KCS) Kucoin-Staking, Auto-Lending, Trading-Bot
◄E► (BNB) Binance-Staking, Savings, 10% RefBack
◄E► (TRX) Poloniex-Staking, Lending, Fee Discount
◄E► (LEO) Bitfinex-Staking, Auto-Lending

◄G► Betfury-Faucet, Dividend Earnings (BFG holders, mine BFG by playing)
◄G► Bitvest -  Faucet, Bankroll Invest
◄G► CryptoGames-Faucet, Lotto
◄G► PrimeDice-Faucet

◄M► Prohashing (Multipool)-Payout in any coin, get 0.50% bonus for 30 days
◄M► MiningRigRentals (Marketplace)-buy hashrate or rent your miners
◄M► Viabtc  (Pool)-payout to Coinex (exchnage) without fees

TryNinja
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 7105

Crypto Swap Exchange

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 09:10:29 AM

It's fine but it's not recommended. The Bitcoin Gold team did some pretty bad job in protecting its users against malwares and fake wallets. They temporary linked a fake wallet in their page and recently haven't succeed in keeping their Core wallet safe - as you can see in this post[1].

I wouldn't install any random software in the same PC that you have your Electrum wallet. First send your coins to a new wallet and preferably only install the BTG wallet in a isolated device.

[1] https://bitcoingold.org/critical-warning-nov-26/

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
jerry0

Activity: 1736
Merit: 186

View Profile
November 27, 2017, 06:14:22 PM

It's fine but it's not recommended. The Bitcoin Gold team did some pretty bad job in protecting its users against malwares and fake wallets. They temporary linked a fake wallet in their page and recently haven't succeed in keeping their Core wallet safe - as you can see in this post[1].

I wouldn't install any random software in the same PC that you have your Electrum wallet. First send your coins to a new wallet and preferably only install the BTG wallet in a isolated device.

[1] https://bitcoingold.org/critical-warning-nov-26/

So you are saying if i send my btc from my electrum to another electrum address... then i were to download the fake bitgold wallet and then put in the 12 word phrase, would they be able to get the btc to the address that i transferred the btc to?  Thus the old btc address would have no btc etc since its already transferred.
Monartis

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 06:21:23 PM

Are blockchain.info not going to be supporting Bitcoin Gold at all, or is it just that they've not yet distributed the coins to holders? It may be worth checking with their support team?
LoyceV
Legendary

Activity: 3332
Merit: 16744

Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2017, 06:39:13 PM

Is this recommended to be done on a different computer?  I read that claiming bitcoin cash, you should use another computer.  I assume using this on the same computer as bitcoin cash would be fine?  What about doing this on same computer as you keeping btc on the same computer with electrum?
You can use same computer, that's fine.
If you're installing untrusted software, you risk compromising your computer. I use VirtualBox for untrusted wallets.

So you are saying if i send my btc from my electrum to another electrum address... then i were to download the fake bitgold wallet and then put in the 12 word phrase, would they be able to get the btc to the address that i transferred the btc to?  Thus the old btc address would have no btc etc since its already transferred.
If you move your Bitcoin to another address in the same HD wallet, then yes, your 12 word phrase gives access to that address too!
You can prevent this by just importing one private key, or just creating a new HD wallet before splitting fork-coins.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: