Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 11:47:55 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mining bitcoin vs monero GPU stress levels  (Read 293 times)
Warshamsn (OP)

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:10:29 PM

So I'm very new to mining and yesterday attempted a bit of bitcoin mining via nicehash and found that my GPU and processor were getting super hot and after several hours or so had only mined $1.30 or so....

So today I'm trying to mine Monero using minergate and so far so good except I'm just noticing on MSI AFTERBURNER that I'm not even remotely hot after overclocking both gpu and processor, is this normal?

I'm guessing that it's just because the equations or difficulty level is so much harder for bitcoin which is why everyone now using ASIC MACHINES but just wanted to throw it on here in case I'm missing anything....thanks!
fapar

Activity: 1414
Merit: 267

Undeads.com - P2E Runner Game

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 09:30:05 PM

So I'm very new to mining and yesterday attempted a bit of bitcoin mining via nicehash and found that my GPU and processor were getting super hot and after several hours or so had only mined $1.30 or so....

So today I'm trying to mine Monero using minergate and so far so good except I'm just noticing on MSI AFTERBURNER that I'm not even remotely hot after overclocking both gpu and processor, is this normal?

I'm guessing that it's just because the equations or difficulty level is so much harder for bitcoin which is why everyone now using ASIC MACHINES but just wanted to throw it on here in case I'm missing anything....thanks!

All right, Bitcoin and Monero using different algorithms. Minergates not the best choice. I understand that for the beginner it is convenient GUI and minimum settings, but I advise you to pick up a normal pool. And graphical shell have is Winminer(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2004875.0) and Zawawa(https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1716584.0). Minergates bad reviews - they steal the shares.

💀|.
   ▄▄▄▄█▄▄              ▄▄█▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄█      ▄▄    ▄█▄
  ▀▀▀████████▄  ▄██    ███▀ ▄████▀▀▀     ▄███   ▄███
    ███▀▄▄███▀ ███▀   ███▀  ▀█████▄     ▄███   ████▄
  ▄███████▀   ███   ▄███       ▀▀████▄▄███████████▀
▀▀███▀▀███    ███ ▄████       ▄▄████▀▀████   ▄███
 ██▀    ▀██▄  ██████▀▀   ▄▄█████▀▀   ███▀   ▄██▀
          ▀▀█  ▀▀▀▀ ▄██████▀▀       ███▀    █▀
                                      ▀
.PLAY2EARN.RUNNER.GAME.
||VIRAL
REF.SYSTEM
GAME
|
████████████████████████████
██████ ▄▀██████████  ███████
███████▄▀▄▀██████  █████████
█████████▄▀▄▀██  ███████████
███████████▄▀▄ █████████████
███████████  ▄▀▄▀███████████
█████████  ████▄▀▄▀█████████
███████  ████████▄▀ ████████
████████▀▀▄██████▄▀▀████████
███████  ▀        ▀  ███████
██████                ██████
█████▌   ███    ███   ▐█████
█████▌   ▀▀▀    ▀▀▀   ▐█████
██████                ██████
███████▄  ▀██████▀  ▄███████
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 10:59:28 PM

You were not mining Bitcoin with nicehash cause there's absolutely no GPUs and CPUs in existence that would make you $1.3 worth of BTC in only a few hours. With nicehash you're mining alt coins, just like monero, but you get paid in BTC. What exactly you were mining with nicehash is an open question, no one knows except you. By default, I think, nicehash automatically selects the algo they consider the most profitable at the moment, and points your hashrate towards it. But yeah, in general most of the stuff worth mining makes your hardware run hot.
baga105

Activity: 362
Merit: 250

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 11:03:34 PM

Like I said before.. A lot of people are thinking that they are mining BTC with GPU via nicehash Smiley

Ass, Gas or Grass! No one rides for free!
Warshamsn (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 11:08:13 PM

Yes, that makes sense thanks.
Warshamsn (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 11:17:45 PM

Wow yes, downloading WinMiner was very easy, and yes it's back to stressing my systems again - instantly back to 84 c on MSI Afterburner. I wonder why Minergate is so ineffective though even at stressing my GPU/CPU?
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 11:29:34 PM

I wonder why Minergate is so ineffective though even at stressing my GPU/CPU?
Minergate has been called a "scam" so many times here and everywhere else that I've never even bothered to look at it. Even if it's not scam it's just not worth it to spend any time with it anyway, either use nicehash or mine coins you want directly.
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2017, 11:31:51 PM

you think when your mining your card don't get maxed out?  If you have no ventilation and more than likely in a computer case, you will get hot.

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
Warshamsn (OP)

View Profile
November 26, 2017, 11:59:24 PM

So is WinMiner a pool? I'm definitely seeing a big increase in my daily expected, up to 4 bucks with my 1080 and i7 4770 both overclocked
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: