Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 01:17:12 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Tails with old Electrum (2.7.9) for cold strorge?  (Read 584 times)
A1exander (OP)

Activity: 336
Merit: 102

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:39:50 AM

It seems I've found a bug or glitch in Electrum for Android. I've tried to create watching-only wallets several times. Two of them under Linux and one under Android work perfectly, but another one under Android shows the only transaction to the wallet as "Not verified" despite more than 90 confirmations.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 06:31:29 PM

It seems I've found a bug or glitch in Electrum for Android. I've tried to create watching-only wallets several times. Two of them under Linux and one under Android work perfectly, but another one under Android shows the only transaction to the wallet as "Not verified" despite more than 90 confirmations.

What is the nature of that Android device? How full is it storage wise, how many transactions should it load?

Also, what is the operating system you're running, an old OS may not function as well as a new one (I had it on jellybean and it kept crashing).

~

Thanks, I have a similar feeling and I'll follow this advice. It is not a spending wallet and will be used only when I decide to 'cash out' (partially) or need to move the coins to another cold wallet.

It's useful to know that in older versions, if you send a tansaction and the address is not in the offline sandboxed wallet, the transaction won't be able tobe signed unless you make the wallet aware of the new address (using a gap_limit command).

You can do this by doing either [1]:
Code:
wallet.create_new_address(False)

or

Code:
wallet.storage.put('gap_limit',n)
Where n is the number of your addresses lus the nuber of addresses you want to make. If you have a lot of space, you may want to set this to something like 1000.
A1exander (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 06:59:17 PM

What is the nature of that Android device? How full is it storage wise, how many transactions should it load?

Also, what is the operating system you're running, an old OS may not function as well as a new one (I had it on jellybean and it kept crashing).

Google Nexus 5 with Android 6.0.1. More than 1GB free, 1 transaction only. After a few hours it finally showed the transaction as confirmed. I send another one and it displayed its confirmation progress normally.

It's useful to know that in older versions, if you send a tansaction and the address is not in the offline sandboxed wallet, the transaction won't be able tobe signed unless you make the wallet aware of the new address (using a gap_limit command).

You can do this by doing either [1]:
Code:
wallet.create_new_address(False)

or

Code:
wallet.storage.put('gap_limit',n)
Where n is the number of your addresses lus the nuber of addresses you want to make. If you have a lot of space, you may want to set this to something like 1000.

In case if I send coins to some new addresses created in watching-only wallet and later want to spend them?
Abdussamad
Legendary

Activity: 3612
Merit: 1564

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:38:52 PM

This is a known issue on the PC version. You just restart electrum to make it sync properly. I guess on android you would go to the app view (right most button at the bottom), close and then restart electrum. Alternatively changing the electrum server you are using sometimes does the job.

The cold wallet will not be syncing with servers anyway, because the system will never be online. The only potential problem may be with wallet, seed or signature formats, not with server connections.

There have been bug fixes related to offline signing too since 2.7.9

Also, the issue with networking with servers is generally fairly easy to fix.

The only fix is to install the latest version of electrum on tails. Simply changing servers doesn't do the job.
jackg
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071

https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 10:15:12 PM

This is a known issue on the PC version. You just restart electrum to make it sync properly. I guess on android you would go to the app view (right most button at the bottom), close and then restart electrum. Alternatively changing the electrum server you are using sometimes does the job.

The cold wallet will not be syncing with servers anyway, because the system will never be online. The only potential problem may be with wallet, seed or signature formats, not with server connections.

The only fix is to install the latest version of electrum on tails. Simply changing servers doesn't do the job.

He can do "the only fix" once he connects to the Internet anyway at the point he wants to clear the entire wallet.

How drastic are the signing bugs exactly also? I was using an old version for quite a few months before updating.
A1exander (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 06:48:26 AM

Restarting did not help, but then it suddenly began to work normally. Well, it's a minor inconvenience.

I suppose it is possible to install the latest version to the Tails permanent storage and it should read the wallet properly, without the need to restore from the seed. Maybe it is better to do it right now.

Another question. Is it possible to export an incoming transaction from the watching-only wallet and import it to the cold wallet to make it show the correct amount without connecting to servers?
User365

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

physics, mathematics and engineering

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 03:18:38 PM

The watch only function of electrum on android seems slightly buggy for me too. I have ~30tx on the addresses I watch and it seems like electrum doesn´t remember that it received that the tx is already confirmed (it has to refresh it on each start). The more tx I get the longer it takes to refresh (show me that the tx is confirmed).

For my 30 tx which are displayed in my watch wallet, it takes ~ 15 seconds to load, maybe you got more tx and close before the app has finished loading.

[could be your ad]
A1exander (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 07:44:04 PM

The watch only function of electrum on android seems slightly buggy for me too. I have ~30tx on the addresses I watch and it seems like electrum doesn´t remember that it received that the tx is already confirmed (it has to refresh it on each start). The more tx I get the longer it takes to refresh (show me that the tx is confirmed).

For my 30 tx which are displayed in my watch wallet, it takes ~ 15 seconds to load, maybe you got more tx and close before the app has finished loading.

I've encountered that glitch in a wallet with only one transaction.
A1exander (OP)

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 07:49:39 PM

Answering my own questions:

I suppose it is possible to install the latest version to the Tails permanent storage and it should read the wallet properly, without the need to restore from the seed. Maybe it is better to do it right now.

Yes, it works with the latest version (3.0.2), so i suppose there will be no difficulties accessing my coins later, when I need them.

Another question. Is it possible to export an incoming transaction from the watching-only wallet and import it to the cold wallet to make it show the correct amount without connecting to servers?

No, it does not work. It seems that import is for signing only.

I've also tried to sign a message in cold wallet and then to verify it. No problems.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: