Bitcoin Forum
May 21, 2024, 07:07:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What do you use to read & post in these forums?
Desktop/Laptop PC running Microsoft O/S - 34 (39.5%)
Desktop/Laptop PC running Linux - 13 (15.1%)
Desktop/Laptop Apple (Mac) - 2 (2.3%)
Tablet Device (Ipad-like) - 8 (9.3%)
Smartphone (Iphone-like) - 15 (17.4%)
Lynx or other text based browser - 9 (10.5%)
Other - 5 (5.8%)
Total Voters: 60

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Preferred Browser?  (Read 3169 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
Viceroy (OP)

Activity: 924
Merit: 501

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:40:26 PM

What do you use to read these forums?  Is it different that what you use to write in these forums?
kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:42:07 PM

Laptop with arch linux and i3 as window manager and chromium as browser.

(you poll sucks.)

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 05:43:34 PM

Modified to include Laptops
crumbs

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 06:55:53 PM

(you poll sucks.)
Why do you use chromium instead of chrome (i do too on one of my boxen, can't tell the dif. other than the logo Cheesy)
(and his polls do suck)
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 07:14:55 PM

Where the hell is Lynx?
inb4 in 'other'

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 09:04:08 PM

Where the hell is Lynx?
inb4 in 'other'

rofl
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
June 30, 2013, 09:06:53 PM

rofl

What's so funny about using Lynx?

Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 09:09:40 PM

rofl

What's so funny about using Lynx?

ROFL. Omg please stop... I can't breathe. 

Added to the poll.  Poll reset.

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 09:40:06 PM

Nuff said

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3262
Merit: 4111

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 09:51:14 PM

Lynx is normally preferred because people like to look pro. It's no more practical than any other. The speed isn't much different, it's slightly faster which is almost unnoticeable. I have talked about this topic many times & almost always the people who prefer this is because of the ads not showing etc. Yet, there are other ways to block it. This is just like Linux. People like to use the terminal to look pro, even though they could do it in a graphical interface which would take a lot less time. It's a fact which has been studied that people like to be seen as a pro, which they will show off it they can do it. If they know others don't like something because it's to difficult then they will use it just to show off. Even though it's not practical. Don't get me wrong I have used Lynx and many other text based browsers...back when computers where very limited.

I'm curious why you like Lynx. I hate the interface, is it because it looks complicated and you know that many will not like it? It's a disgusting interface. Obviously this is my opinion and I know people do generally like it. But, for all the people I have asked they pretty much make crap up and can't really explain why it's better.
Viceroy (OP)

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 09:56:13 PM
Last edit: June 30, 2013, 11:58:18 PM by Viceroy

Designing a forum for the 2 people here who use lynx is a waste of time.  I'm sorry you use lynx, please upgrade to a real browser.  You are missing about 99.9999% of the internet with your 20 year old "browser" mr stallman:

http://arstechnica.com/staff/2013/01/yes-people-still-browse-ars-with-lynx-aol-9-0-and-nutscrape/

edit:
I am shocked that there are 4 votes for lynx given the article's news that:
"Ars has served 22 pageviews to the text-based Web browser this month. "

jackjack
Legendary

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 10:15:08 PM

Lynx is normally preferred because people like to look pro. It's no more practical than any other. The speed isn't much different, it's slightly faster which is almost unnoticeable. I have talked about this topic many times & almost always the people who prefer this is because of the ads not showing etc. Yet, there are other ways to block it. This is just like Linux. People like to use the terminal to look pro, even though they could do it in a graphical interface which would take a lot less time. It's a fact which has been studied that people like to be seen as a pro, which they will show off it they can do it. If they know others don't like something because it's to difficult then they will use it just to show off. Even though it's not practical. Don't get me wrong I have used Lynx and many other text based browsers...back when computers where very limited.

I'm curious why you like Lynx. I hate the interface, is it because it looks complicated and you know that many will not like it? It's a disgusting interface. Obviously this is my opinion and I know people do generally like it. But, for all the people I have asked they pretty much make crap up and can't really explain why it's better.

kokjo
Legendary

Activity: 1050

You are WRONG!

View Profile
June 30, 2013, 11:09:43 PM

(you poll sucks.)
Why do you use chromium instead of chrome (i do too on one of my boxen, can't tell the dif. other than the logo Cheesy)
(and his polls do suck)
its opensource, chrome is not. but chrome is built upon chromium.

and i like opensource because it gives me the ability to know what(and especially what not) my computer runs.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts." -Bertrand Russell
chmod755
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1020

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 04:52:00 AM

Nuff said

Nuff said

hany103

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 06:53:25 AM

I use Firefox on Windows 7
AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 07:00:02 AM

Linux with Midori (gtk-webkit)

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 07:01:23 AM

(you poll sucks.)

Win7 work laptop with IE work work apps and Chrome for everything else.
Fedora workstation with chrome for home.

AliceWonder

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 07:04:24 AM

I use a graphical browser most of the time but the reason I use a terminal for so much (e.g. vim, etc.) is because it is faster.
For browsing, I like images and multimedia.

It's not about appearing pro, 99% of the time nobody sees me but me. It's about being efficient.

But one of the really nice things about Lynx when I do use it is you don't have to put up with crappy javascript, hover ads, popunders, and other things that are destroying the Internet.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
favdesu
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2013, 07:20:16 AM

Internet Explorer

i won't fall for your troll, OP.

Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
July 01, 2013, 10:52:45 AM
Last edit: July 01, 2013, 11:49:59 AM by Amph

i excepted chrome in the list, instead there is explorer named as a first, bad poll is bad
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: