Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:41:22 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: ARM processors with Mali Octacore - ignored by mining coders, why?  (Read 1531 times)
jeyjey (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 03:58:51 PM

Hi, sorry for my English. I live in a place where the Electric power is very expensive. Every activity is not profitable other than the trading. I noticed that Linux can be well configured to create clusters. Create cluster will increase the power of a mining station. If I create a cluster with very little credit card boards I could get mining power with a low cost. A very simple CPU as H5 (OrangePi) has 4 cores. And it is not ended: it has a hexa core Mali450 GPU! I suppouse that it should be good to try to mine with these cores. And it supports OpenCL and every core is a 64bit core. ARM processors can work very very well with ARMBIAN Distro!! It is fantastic! I can have a very BIG computer in only one credit card. It means that I can create a cluster with twenty micro PC. Why miners ingore this? It should be a miner software to get this usefull power. Please can anyone collaborate? Thanks.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 04:43:08 PM

Why miners ingore this? It should be a miner software to get this usefull power. Please can anyone collaborate? Thanks.
You're talking about low-power hardware designed for mobile devices. With no proper cooling whatsoever (because it doesn't really need it since it's, well, low-power). You want as much power as possible for mining purposes, a single high-end graphics card for PC will be like 100+ times more powerful than any of those chips for mobile devices you mentioned. They just don't make sense to mine with, they're designed (and better suited) for other purposes.
fanatic26

Activity: 756
Merit: 560

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:16:03 PM

If there was a way to mine and make a profit without using a lot of electricity every single person on here would be doing it. If you want to mine, move to somewhere with reasonable power rates.

Stop buying industrial miners, running them at home, and then complaining about the noise.
dagarair

Activity: 847
Merit: 383

View Profile WWW
November 28, 2017, 05:18:14 PM

I live in Dallas Texas i pay 7 cents BUT i also have 105 F days in the summer hehe!

4MW Data Center - I BUILT Tongue  - Full story below:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=4789787.msg43227027#msg43227027
Branko

Activity: 2464
Merit: 318

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:23:46 PM

If there was a way to mine and make a profit without using a lot of electricity every single person on here would be doing it. If you want to mine, move to somewhere with reasonable power rates.

But maybe jeyjey is smartest person around by far, and none of us can see profitability because we're all stupid?

Since those 8 cores in ARM GPU are 64-bit, they must be much better than those 2304 cores in RX580, right?
jeyjey (OP)

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:40:31 PM

My friends! Thanks for interesting in this topic! I am sorry I explained the project without the rest: I want to use solar panels in a sunny, windy and hot place. I live in a island and there is a lot of wind and sun! We use four big Diesel Engines to product electricity. It is mutch more nonsense to use megawatts for frac/Bcoins rather than low voltage, but free, for Monero or Zcash. I automated my OrangePi that it boot after the sun rises! The ARMBIAN should lounches the miner after boot. It boots with 5volts! I would like to mine some Altcoins ASIC resistant. But the only miner seems to be BFCminer. Please could anyone spend few minutes to tell me where I can find a miner for ARM processors? Many thanks and greetings from Italy!
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:45:13 PM

I want to use solar panels in a sunny, windy and hot place.
It doesn't matter what your source of power is. Modern GPUs that are widely used for mining will outperform the mobile hardware you're talking about in terms of hash/watt. And they'll greatly outperform it in terms of $/hash. That's why there's no mining software for arm, it's just not practical to write it.
Branko

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 05:49:20 PM

My friends! Thanks for interesting in this topic! I am sorry I explained the project without the rest: I want to use solar panels in a sunny, windy and hot place. I live in a island and there is a lot of wind and sun! We use four big Diesel Engines to product electricity. It is mutch more nonsense to use megawatts for frac/Bcoins rather than low voltage, but free, for Monero or Zcash. I automated my OrangePi that it boot after the sun rises! The ARMBIAN should lounches the miner after boot. It boots with 5volts! I would like to mine some Altcoins ASIC resistant. But the only miner seems to be BFCminer. Please could anyone spend few minutes to tell me where I can find a miner for ARM processors? Many thanks and greetings from Italy!

One of strongest arm processors out there, thunderX cavium, does 51 H/s at 10W TDP (so pretty power hungry for ARM processors)

51H/s will net you 14 cents a day as you can see here

https://whattomine.com/coins/101-xmr-cryptonight?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr=51&p=0&fee=0.0&cost=0.1&hcost=0.0&commit=Calculate

Your processor is probably 3 times slower.

Draw your own conclusions

(just for comparison, you'll need about 120 of your processors to get same hashing power as single Vega graphic card for mining monero)
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
November 28, 2017, 11:36:12 PM

One of strongest arm processors out there, thunderX cavium, does 51 H/s at 10W TDP (so pretty power hungry for ARM processors)

51H/s will net you 14 cents a day as you can see here

https://whattomine.com/coins/101-xmr-cryptonight?utf8=%E2%9C%93&hr=51&p=0&fee=0.0&cost=0.1&hcost=0.0&commit=Calculate

Your processor is probably 3 times slower.

Draw your own conclusions

(just for comparison, you'll need about 120 of your processors to get same hashing power as single Vega graphic card for mining monero)

Or better yet - NVidia GTX 750 ti (which is GENERATION OLD hardware on 28nm technology that's almost 5 years old now) pulls 250 hash/s or so on about 30 watts actual power usage.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
jeyjey (OP)

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:45:34 AM

Please see this: http://cluster.bitscope.com/

I would make a cluster with these boards and put it in a windy place with FREE and GREEN energy. I have the NVIDIA card 750 ti, already in my computer and I know what you all want to mean. But it is unbelieveable that no coders tryed to create a miner for the Mali450 processors and Cortex processors.
wacko
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 01:23:05 PM

But it is unbelieveable that no coders tryed to create a miner for the Mali450 processors and Cortex processors.
How is it unbelievable considering that these devices are so much less efficient in terms of h/w? Why would someone spend their time and effort writing code for the hardware that no one in their right mind is gonna use for mining on any significant scale?

I would make a cluster with these boards and put it in a windy place with FREE and GREEN energy.
Combining any number of ARM devices into a cluster doesn't change anything in terms of their efficiency. It's just you either have one device that sucks or you have a bunch of those working (and sucking) together. That "FREE and GREEN" energy could be used to power more efficient GPU rigs, and instead you want to waste it on your ARMs.
ronnylov

Activity: 276
Merit: 13

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 01:49:52 PM

Here is a miner that use ARM CPUs for Verium Mining:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2254852.0

★★★ LETHEAN ★★★
BLOCKCHAIN BACKED DECENTRALISED P2P VPN
MediumTwitterDiscordRedditFacebookWhitepaperBitcointalk Ann
CryptBoy:)

Activity: 27

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 02:49:13 PM

Try this http://ethembedded.com/
kuroman

Activity: 588
Merit: 501

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 04:25:29 PM

Hi, sorry for my English. I live in a place where the Electric power is very expensive. Every activity is not profitable other than the trading. I noticed that Linux can be well configured to create clusters. Create cluster will increase the power of a mining station. If I create a cluster with very little credit card boards I could get mining power with a low cost. A very simple CPU as H5 (OrangePi) has 4 cores. And it is not ended: it has a hexa core Mali450 GPU! I suppouse that it should be good to try to mine with these cores. And it supports OpenCL and every core is a 64bit core. ARM processors can work very very well with ARMBIAN Distro!! It is fantastic! I can have a very BIG computer in only one credit card. It means that I can create a cluster with twenty micro PC. Why miners ingore this? It should be a miner software to get this usefull power. Please can anyone collaborate? Thanks.

There are two fundamental issues with those SoC, the first one is the market share, You see, every one or almost every one has a computer with X64-X86, PC components are available everywhere and can be adapted or scaled by almost anyone.
The other one is in terms of computational power even from a brute flops perspective these SoC are getting closer to the average CPU GPU, they still not there especially if you compare apples to apples.
So like you've mentioned before to get anything decent you need to build a proper cluster of those, but when you do that you you are eliminating the efficiency factor and it becomes quite expensive.

So to resume I feel like there is a huge potential with these chip, but they should be used to mine something that goes with their strengths and not go with a general mining machine, because you cannot beat something that is already available everywhere without having a clear advantage in anything (power consumption is not if the cost to build  a,d effort or the performance is not there )
Branko

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 08:36:57 PM

6 KILOWATTS???

You call that green? 6KW worth of Vega cards would outperform those out of the water, and still be cheaper,
cause $150 per (weak) node is extremely expensive
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 09:44:50 PM

If there was a way to mine and make a profit without using a lot of electricity

BURST

Not high profits though, but them hard drive sure don't eat a lot of electric.

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
kuroman

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 09:57:45 PM

6 KILOWATTS???

You call that green? 6KW worth of Vega cards would outperform those out of the water, and still be cheaper,

6kW where do you read such a value, can you please show it to me because that's shocking, I doubt a full cluster with a 500 of those would reach 6kW, I think it's 6W per SoC.

Heck the 6W figure is probably for the full board, the SoC it self should consume around 2W
As for the price 150€ is just too expensive for such SoC it's not the latest or greatest, I'm pretty sure one can find much cheaper elsewhere.
Branko

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:24:02 PM

6 KILOWATTS???

6kW where do you read such a value, can you please show it to me because that's shocking, I doubt a full cluster with a 500 of those would reach 6kW, I think it's 6W per SoC.

Heck the 6W figure is probably for the full board, the SoC it self should consume around 2W
As for the price 150€ is just too expensive for such SoC it's not the latest or greatest, I'm pretty sure one can find much cheaper elsewhere.

Sorry, quoted wrong post, here is link from jeyjey post I was referring to:

http://cluster.bitscope.com/
kuroman

View Profile
November 29, 2017, 11:50:38 PM

Sorry, quoted wrong post, here is link from jeyjey post I was referring to:

http://cluster.bitscope.com/

Ah yes this, a cluster of 1000 of those the only problem with this is that raspberry uses old SoC from 4 years ago or so If I'm not what I call efficient by any mean, but if a similar solution with let's say a Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 or a Tegra X1 or something similar could do wonders and beat out a out RX Vegas in specific operation since an RX vega consumes between 250 and 300W around 20 of those could consume the same amount of power as a thousand and this without counting the power consumption of the boards cpus and other components, I'd say 15 Vegas is a more realistic number vs a cluster of a 1000 of those so that's a ratio of around 67 SoC per Vega card.

Now the question that should be asked is, is a Vega 56 is more powerfull than 67 X1 for example, the X1 is 1Tflops of peak 16FP calculation where as the Vega around 21 Tflops which means that the Cluster has more potential than the Vega cards, but the software to take fully advantage is not there.

And the big elephant in the room is that  I'm not factoring the costs, obviously the amount of work and the price of component is in favor for the classic mining rig with vega cards. so Tl;dr, the ARM route can be more powerefficient if the software is there, but it is right now just more expensive and not fully optimised to be the better solution for mining. but for other use cases it is much more interesting.
NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2017, 02:29:14 AM

At one point (over a year ago), it was profitable to mine with cheap ($20 or less) smartphones, but now it won't return enough to break even in a reasonable time.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 01:08:46 PM

My current single Vega 56 system eats a hair under 300 watts for the COMPLETE SYSTEM (that's probably 200-220 for the Vega) while mining Monero at about 1960 hash/sec - and I've not had the time to work on power optimisation, and Wattman makes it a PITA to do so IMO (I had it working with Afterburner for a while, but had a power outage and haven't been able to get it working again with AB).

I dunno where your "15 Vegas for 6 kilowatts" is out of, should be closer to 30 even with POOR power optimisation - and I've seen claims of managing close to 1900 with 120 watts out of a Vega 56 with a "flash it with a Vega 64 BIOS then well-optimise it" setup.

250-300 watts for a Vega 56 is WELL above it's rated TDP, though they run cool enough that you might be able to get there if you push TDP hard enough - but a lot of that wattage will be waste heat, they run faster when undervolted and don't need tons of power to max out their core clock.

Can an ARM even mine ETH at all?
 I would not hold out a lot of hope for it on ZEC, they're a LOT lower performance than the i7 hardware some folks used to CPU mine ZEC in the early days and the hashrates on THOSE was low double-digits.
 Monero - they might have a prayer against a Vega if they can manage better than 10 hash per watt used ...... hmm, given all the "extra stuff" on the Snapdragon 835 that doesn't DO computing, how much DOES that thing eat - and how bloody much does it COST?Huh

NiHaoMike

Activity: 236
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2017, 02:57:46 PM

High end smartphones have never been profitable for mining - they cost way too much for the performance. Cheap smartphones like $20 Moto Es give way more performance per dollar for mining.

I have also tried mining earnhoney with a Pi 3. It is profitable when it runs, but it proved too unstable to be worth running.

I use cryptocurrency and solar power to help my best friend Naomi Wu... And I'm proud of it!
kuroman

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 04:53:21 PM

My current single Vega 56 system eats a hair under 300 watts for the COMPLETE SYSTEM (that's probably 200-220 for the Vega) while mining Monero at about 1960 hash/sec - and I've not had the time to work on power optimisation, and Wattman makes it a PITA to do so IMO (I had it working with Afterburner for a while, but had a power outage and haven't been able to get it working again with AB).

I dunno where your "15 Vegas for 6 kilowatts" is out of, should be closer to 30 even with POOR power optimisation - and I've seen claims of managing close to 1900 with 120 watts out of a Vega 56 with a "flash it with a Vega 64 BIOS then well-optimise it" setup.

250-300 watts for a Vega 56 is WELL above it's rated TDP, though they run cool enough that you might be able to get there if you push TDP hard enough - but a lot of that wattage will be waste heat, they run faster when undervolted and don't need tons of power to max out their core clock.

Can an ARM even mine ETH at all?
 I would not hold out a lot of hope for it on ZEC, they're a LOT lower performance than the i7 hardware some folks used to CPU mine ZEC in the early days and the hashrates on THOSE was low double-digits.
 Monero - they might have a prayer against a Vega if they can manage better than 10 hash per watt used ...... hmm, given all the "extra stuff" on the Snapdragon 835 that doesn't DO computing, how much DOES that thing eat - and how bloody much does it COST?Huh

Every single review on the internet rates RX Vega power consumption between 250 and above 300W for the an Overclocked 64 at full load, so unless you are really lowering your power limit to at least or around 70% I really want to see your system consuming under 300w (GPU AND CPU full load).  so even if we take a 350W conservative number by adding (system power, one system per 5 cards and divided)so we are on the same page. 6000/350= 17 cards not 30!!! so please check your math

Also other mistake you are doing is that you are assuming that the only usefull part of SoC is the CPU which is not, the easy way is obviously to use the CPU only but like I mentioned before a Tegra X1 from 2015 can achieve 1TFlops 16FP. there is no room for comparison here if The ARM SoC are fully optimised for mining software wise they'll beat RX Vegas in terms of efficiency, but the problem would the cost of making such a system that would not be worth it

A Snapdragon 835 in your smartphone consumes 2W to 2.5W, when I used 5W to have a marging even considering the boards power consumption for the nodes; so no
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
November 30, 2017, 11:27:28 PM

Gaming reviews have NOTHING to do with mining usage.
Try looking at the various build-up reviews for the Vega FOR MONERO MINING USAGE.

For a specific related example, most of the reviews I have seen put "high load" power usage of a GTX 1070 ti in the 180-220 watt range - yet the MOST EFFICIENT mining point for those cards is 106 watts give or take a couple, and even folks that "push" them for higher hashrate rarely go higher than 145-150 range because the gains above that are TINY compared to the increase in power usage (my specific 1070 ti mining cards are currently set to 105 watts to keep total system draw under 6 amps on the system they are in).

Also, the Vega 64 pulls a lot more power IN GAMING USAGE than the 56 does, the 56 was deliberately designed by AMD to have a much lower TDP limit

YOU need to check your ASSUMPTIONS, that's where you are messing up.

Floating Point operations are 100% WORTHLESS for cryptocoin usage, which is 100% INTEGER operations.
 Another BAD ASSUMPTION you make, not a mistake on MY part.
 Would you also care to explain how "LTE16x" cell phone interface helps mining? Just for ONE example of the "not useful stuff for mining" on a Snapdragon 835.

My "under 300 watt" measurement was made AT THE WALL on a Brand power meter while the system was actively hashing at 1950+ hash on Monero mining - and that was on a system that is NOT "power optimised" well, as I've never figured out how to get bloody Wattman to do a lot of the stuff I can do routinely in Afterburner like UNDERVOLT (Vega 56 cards LOVE to be undervolted, they tend to clock HIGHER with some undervolt as it lets them stay below the TDP easier). It is running a severely overkill Gold-rated power supply (Seasonic X-850) because that's what I had available when I put the system together, but the system is based on a FM2 motherboard with am AMD A10-7890k (which is NOT a low power APU) with the iGPU running the graphics for Win10, an HGST 3TB hd (system is also doing BURST mining) so the actual power draw of the SYSTEM as a whole would probably be about 275 watts (That model of PS usually pulls about 92% efficiency in the 30-50% load range).
 220 watts draw for the GPU is a PESSIMISTIC estimate, as I'm pretty sure the rest of the system is pulling 80-100 watts total NOT 50-60.

Presuming an optimistic 2 watts, can a Snapdragon manage 20 hash on Monero?
 8 cores at 2 Ghz (ballpark average, I saw the "big/little" core split) in theory should manage more, but how much CACHE do they have on them - Monero wants ballpark 2 MB of CPU CACHE MEMORY per thread to run efficiently (and I can't find a spec anywhere that shows the amount of CPU cache on a Snapdragon).

Then figure in the COST of the things - even *IF* they can mine efficiently, is it worth the COST of the things for whatever hashrate they achieve?
 THAT is the primary reason pretty much any SoC setup gets ignored for mining - even if it IS efficient in hash/watt, the sheer COST makes the time to achieve ROI end up being measured in YEARS.

kuroman

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 12:55:36 AM

Try looking at the various build-up reviews for the Vega FOR MONERO MINING USAGE.

For a specific related example, most of the reviews I have seen put "high load" power usage of a GTX 1070 ti in the 180-220 watt range - yet the MOST EFFICIENT mining point for those cards is 106 watts give or take a couple, and even folks that "push" them for higher hashrate rarely go higher than 145-150 range because the gains above that are TINY compared to the increase in power usage (my specific 1070 ti mining cards are currently set to 105 watts to keep total system draw under 6 amps on the system they are in).

Also, the Vega 64 pulls a lot more power IN GAMING USAGE than the 56 does, the 56 was deliberately designed by AMD to have a much lower TDP limit

Floating Point operations are 100% WORTHLESS for cryptocoin usage, which is 100% INTEGER operations.
 Would you also care to explain how "LTE16x" cell phone interface helps mining? Just for ONE example of the "not useful stuff for mining" on a Snapdragon 835.

My "under 300 watt" measurement was made AT THE WALL on a Brand power meter while the system was actively hashing at 1950+ hash on Monero mining - and that was on a system that is NOT "power optimised" well, as I've never figured out how to get bloody Wattman to do a lot of the stuff I can do routinely in Afterburner like UNDERVOLT (Vega 56 cards LOVE to be undervolted, they tend to clock HIGHER with some undervolt as it lets them stay below the TDP easier). It is running a severely overkill Gold-rated power supply (Seasonic X-850) because that's what I had available when I put the system together, but the system is based on a FM2 motherboard with am AMD A10-7890k (which is NOT a low power APU) with the iGPU running the graphics for Win10, an HGST 3TB hd (system is also doing BURST mining) so the actual power draw of the SYSTEM as a whole would probably be about 275 watts (That model of PS usually pulls about 92% efficiency in the 30-50% load range).
 220 watts draw for the GPU is a PESSIMISTIC estimate, as I'm pretty sure the rest of the system is pulling 80-100 watts total NOT 50-60.

8 cores at 2 Ghz (ballpark average, I saw the "big/little" core split) in theory should manage more, but how much CACHE do they have on them - Monero wants ballpark 2 MB of CPU CACHE MEMORY per thread to run efficiently (and I can't find a spec anywhere that shows the amount of CPU cache on a Snapdragon).

Then figure in the COST of the things - even *IF* they can mine efficiently, is it worth the COST of the things for whatever hashrate they achieve?
 THAT is the primary reason pretty much any SoC setup gets ignored for mining - even if it IS efficient in hash/watt, the sheer COST makes the time to achieve ROI end up being measured in YEARS.

Everyone knows that Nvidia cards are much more efficient right now.
Your 300W load is only considering the GPU load. And like I said before even if you consider such figure You cannot reach the 30 you've mentioned that's simple math.
20Hash on monero is totaly possible an 835 in theory, neither the 835 or the X1 have 2MB of cache per core they have 2MB per 4 cores. but you are not factoring the GPU Side of thing
Like I said before the cost from random supplier is expensive, but if you can build your own board it can be interesting. It is hard to justify such a project considering that not only the miners and software is not efficient

as for  

There are always different version of these SoC for different markets for example when Nvidia or Qualcomm produce a SoC for embeded machines these SoC do not have said functionalities, and Again your forget each time about the GPU side of these SoC please check out the SDA835 (APQ8098) for example ! as for floating point calculation it's a correct way of comparing hardware especially when it comes to different platforms, since it doesn't not require platform optimisation and whatsnot.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 10:42:45 PM

My "less than 300 watts" IS THE ENTIRE SYSTEM as I have already stated that's "AT THE WALL" on a system that has NOT been optimised for power consumption.
That figure is NOT "only considering the GPU load".
It's also a very NON-OPTIMAL setup in general - ONE non-optimized GPU in an old high-power-draw SINGLE CARD system.
It would be nice if you would pay attention and quit trying to prop up your strawman "THE GPU eats 250+ watts to mine with" argument with lies while ignoring presented FACTS.

The FACT is that 6 KW will power a lot closer to 30 Vega GPUs including total rig consumption - and possibly MORE than that - than your TOTALLY BS 17 claim.
If that "130 watt" TDP figure I've seen claimed on one "how to build it" site is correct, that would put a 4 card Vega rig right close to 600 watts - for *40* Vega GPUs in 6 KW including total system draw - while still respecting the widely reported issue of trying to get more than 4 Vegas mining Monero in a single system at high hashrates.

Does the 835 have a GPU that's useable for anything other than driving a tiny display?
Does it support OpenCL or CUDA?
If not, it IS useless for mining.

Comparing floating point capabilities is MEANINGLESS for cryptocoin work, as floating point does NOTHING to help cryptocoin work in any way shape or form.
There is a reason any RX 470 blows away the R9 280x on most cryptocoin work, even though the R9 280x does more than DOUBLE the FP64 work of any RX 470 - Floating Point is MEANINGLESS.
Again you insist on ignoring FACTS to try to prop up a strawman argument.

Nvidia cards in general are more efficient - but there are exceptions, they're a tossup at best on ETH mining, they just aren't competative at all in Monero mining where Vega blows away the hashrate of ANY Nvidia card by a wide margin and has better hash/watt when both sides are well optimized, and outside of cryptocoin MINING as such the Vega 56 can very close to MATCH the keyrate of the GTX 1080 ti on Distributed.net RC5-72 work while soaking a little less power (much better on keyrate/$ when you can find the Vega 56 at close to MSRP, tossup on keyrate/watt).

In many cases though, even where Nvidia cards are more efficient, they are NOT "much more efficient".

kuroman

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 11:41:18 PM

My "less than 300 watts" IS THE ENTIRE SYSTEM as I have already stated that's "AT THE WALL" on a system that has NOT been optimised for power consumption.
It's also a very NON-OPTIMAL setup in general - ONE non-optimized GPU in an old high-power-draw SINGLE CARD system.
It would be nice if you would pay attention and quit trying to prop up your strawman "THE GPU eats 250+ watts to mine with" argument with lies while ignoring presented FACTS.

What facts you've presented ZERO Facts! while I've told you I can show every review of RX Vegas  on the internet Gaming / Productivity / AND Mining even taking into consideration the lowest power consuming vega of them all mining a Vega with it system CPU at Load you get 300W+, if you change the power limite to 70% downclock the gpu and with an Intel dual core pentium doing nothing you might get the figure you are mention, a Vega 64 don't even dream about it.

The FACT is that 6 KW will power a lot closer to 30 Vega GPUs including total rig consumption - and possibly MORE than that - than your TOTALLY BS 17 claim.
If that "130 watt" TDP figure I've seen claimed on one "how to build it" site is correct, that would put a 4 card Vega rig right close to 600 watts - for *40* Vega GPUs in 6 KW including total system draw - while still respecting the widely reported issue of trying to get more than 4 Vegas mining Monero in a single system at high hashrates.
Again what math are you even using HuhHuhHuh Serisouly it's just a simple division !  and what aload of misinformation you are giving and I'm being nice.
Here bellow a fully optimised Vega 56 rig !

Snip!....

I have a 5 * 1080ti mining rig -

And a 4 * Vega56 mining rig -

Which together draw 1730W (who's counting Smiley )-

The Vega rig is consuming almost a 800W or a 1000W I forgot which which !! and this is a fully optimised rig

Here is another one 3xRX Vega 56 @ 600W without the CPU Mining ! (no BIOS Mod tho)

I mean the math is easy 6000w/350w = 17 cards unless you are really downclocking and setting a very low power limite unless you are not mining with CPU unless you are using 6 Cards or more per rig unless you are using platinum power supplies you won't increase the efficiency, if you do tho all this ! and with only Vega 56 No Vega 64 you might reach an optimal 180w per card or so! and then you might get to the 30 cards, this is A LOT of IFs

Does the 835 have a GPU that's useable for anything other than driving a tiny display?
Does it support OpenCL or CUDA?
If not, it IS useless for mining.
What tiny display ? it's not about the size it's about the computational power, most of modern smartphones have 1440p screens heck some have 4K screen and they run them no problem, also those gpus can power normal display via HDMI or WDMI no problem ! and yes the Adreno GPU on the Snapdragon runs OpenCL the full OpenCL 2.0  while the X1 from Nvidia runs Cuda actually it has 256 Cuda cores
Proof
https://www.qualcomm.com/news/releases/2017/01/03/qualcomm-snapdragon-835-mobile-platform-power-next-generation-immersive
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adreno
http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-x1-processor.html

Comparing floating point capabilities is MEANINGLESS for cryptocoin work, as floating point does NOTHING to help cryptocoin work in any way shape or form.
There is a reason any RX 470 blows away the R9 280x on most cryptocoin work, even though the R9 280x does more than DOUBLE the FP64 work of any RX 470 - Floating Point is MEANINGLESS.
Again you insist on ignoring FACTS to try to prop up a strawman argument.
FP 64? No no one compares cards on FP 64 Unless they have very specific use for them, it's either 32 full precision or half precision 16, if the card is not BUILT and optimized for double precision it sucks at it
a good read for you my friend : https://arrayfire.com/explaining-fp64-performance-on-gpus/
If you think floating point calculation are a good measurement single and nowadays half point calculation, and please feel free to prove me wrong with some counter examples as long as the cards are not bottleneck-ed with something else such as VRAM capacity or speed, You are not going to compare for example an HD 6990 vs RX450 that doesn't make sense at all.

Nvidia cards in general are more efficient - but there are exceptions, they're a tossup at best on ETH mining, they just aren't competative at all in Monero mining where Vega blows away the hashrate of ANY Nvidia card by a wide margin and has better hash/watt when both sides are well optimized, and outside of cryptocoin MINING as such the Vega 56 can very close to MATCH the keyrate of the GTX 1080 ti on Distributed.net RC5-72 work while soaking a little less power (much better on keyrate/$ when you can find the Vega 56 at close to MSRP, tossup on keyrate/watt).

In many cases though, even where Nvidia cards are more efficient, they are NOT "much more efficient".

I agree totally. Nothing to add here, aside the fact the 1080 TI or even the 1080 are not good example because of the latency issues with the GDDR5X memory
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 08:08:33 AM

Closer to 200 to match a Vega 56 - mine is pulling about 1960 hash with very little work attempted at tuning it (I HATE WATTMAN!), and others have reported higher.

QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 08:20:24 AM

What facts you've presented ZERO Facts! While I've told you I can show every review of RX Vegas  on the internet Gaming / Productivity / AND Mining even taking into consideration the lowest power consuming vega of them all mining a Vega with it system CPU at Load you get 300W+, if you change the power limite to 70% downclock the gpu and with an Intel dual core pentium doing nothing you might get the figure you are mention, a Vega 64 don't even dream about it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoneroMining/comments/74hjqn/monero_and_vega_the_definitive_guide/

The very first link given on a Google search for "vega mining monero".

As I already pointed out, GAMING reviews have little or nothing to do with MINING, and I have yet to see ANY mining review for Vega on Monero that came up with 200+ watts much less your CLAIMED 300+ for just the card.

Again what math are you even using HuhHuhHuh Serisouly it's just a simple division !  and what aload of misinformation you are giving and I'm being nice.
Here bellow a fully optimised Vega 56 rig !

The Vega rig is consuming almost a 800W or a 1000W I forgot which which !! and this is a fully optimised rig

Here is another one 3xRX Vega 56 @ 600W without the CPU Mining ! (no BIOS Mod tho)

I mean the math is easy 6000w/350w = 17 cards unless you are really downclocking and setting a very low power limite unless you are not mining with CPU unless you are using 6 Cards or more per rig unless you are using platinum power supplies you won't increase the efficiency, if you do tho all this ! and with only Vega 56 No Vega 64 you might reach an optimal 180w per card or so! and then you might get to the 30 cards, this is A LOT of IFs

Both of the systems YOU pointed to were using 200 watts per GPU - AT THE TOTAL SYSTEM LEVEL.
You know, 800 watts for 4 GPUs or 600 for 3 = 200 watts per GPU?
Yet you keep pushing your 350 watt figure, then dare to question MY MATH?

YOUR OWN QUOTED SYSTEMS PROVE MY POINT.

kuroman

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 10:17:03 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2017, 10:34:12 AM by kuroman

Closer to 200 to match a Vega 56 - mine is pulling about 1960 hash with very little work attempted at tuning it (I HATE WATTMAN!), and others have reported higher.

Come on guys if you can't do a simple math calculation, please use a calculator : 2000H / 51H =  40 ThunderX and this number is wrong simply because on the benchmark chart it's using 4 cores instead of the full 8 cores : http://monerocoin.hu/hashrates/monero-cpu-hashrates/ scroll down. and the powerconsumption is 5w according to many websites. (won't be surprised if it reach 10W at 3Ghz tho so that figure of 10W is not surprising especially with anefficient board)

The Cavium is far from being the most powerfull or the most efficient, not only it uses old Cortex 57 cores which is an architecture from 2 years ago last year most SoC used Cortex A73 and I'm not even going to talk about custom cores, the Cavium uses also a process node from 2014 aka 28nm the SD 835 is made on a 10nm process that's a HUGE difference.
kuroman

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 10:32:27 AM
Last edit: December 02, 2017, 06:53:09 PM by kuroman

https://www.reddit.com/r/MoneroMining/comments/74hjqn/monero_and_vega_the_definitive_guide/

As I already pointed out, GAMING reviews have little or nothing to do with MINING, and I have yet to see ANY mining review for Vega on Monero that came up with 200+ watts much less your CLAIMED 300+ for just the card.
Now you are playing a game of specific case.
-One You are using mining MONERO as reference.
-Two You are talking about the power consumption of the card only.
-Tree you are only talking about the RX V56
-Foor you are talking about underclocked cards.

Now go check my comments, You'll see me referencing RX Vega in general and the top number is for the 64 or the frontier edition OBVIOUSLY
Also I've talked several times about total system power consumption with CPU Mining !

Both of the systems YOU pointed to were using 200 watts per GPU - AT THE TOTAL SYSTEM LEVEL.

I mean the math is easy 6000w/350w = 17 cards unless you are really downclocking and setting a very low power limite or using a custom bios unless you are not mining with CPU unless you are using 6 Cards or more per rig unless you are using platinum power supplies you won't increase the efficiency , if you do tho all this ! and with only Vega 56 No Vega 64 you might reach an optimal 180w per card or so! and then you might get to the 30 cards, this is A LOT of IFs

fully optimised rig
without the CPU Mining !
At least read what I've said before and don't give me truncated replies that just being dishonnest. You have your answer in the part you are claiming.

Also where are the answers to the points you were claiming before, OpenCL / Cuda and so on.
jeyjey (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 03:37:38 PM

Hi friends. Thanks for your suggestion (expecially the ). I am afraid that this thread has been transformed to a GPU NVIDIA thread.

The problem is: how to get the maximum from a Raspberry Cluster? In a far and remote island, ONLY covered by the Wi-Fi signal.

I bought an OrangePi Pc2 board from China. It has a 64 bit 4/c ARM processor and a Mali450 exacore. It costs 18$. I am planning to add five OrangePi Zero Plus that have the same H5 processor but nothing else! (very very simplest board). Its cost is less than $10 (with wi-fi antenna). After that I would install a solar panel for 500 or 1000 watts. I think to install a fan generator.

EVERY SHARE IS A FREE SHARE AFTER THE START'S COSTS ARE COVERED

Ok. Miners usually ignore the ARM hardware in Linux Operating System (Androis is covered). I only found [url:https://github.com/tpruvot/cpuminer-multi/releases]THIS MINER FOR ARM[/url]. I installed it on Armbian Distro for OrangePi and it mines!!!!! Only with the CPU, but it works!!

IT'S PERFORMARCES MAKE YOU LOUGHING: 8H/s for Monero. Ha ha ha! Yes please don't lough against me! I am trying another GPU miner that probably will take the maximum from the board! I am happy because I really want to create a lower cost machine that mines with less than 300watt! Many thanks.
Branko

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:05:59 PM

IT'S PERFORMARCES MAKE YOU LOUGHING: 8H/s for Monero. Ha ha ha! Yes please don't lough against me! I am trying another GPU miner that probably will take the maximum from the board! I am happy because I really want to create a lower cost machine that mines with less than 300watt! Many thanks.

As someone already said, buy 30W Nvidia 750TI
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 09:17:42 PM

Now you are playing a game of specific case.
-One You are using mining MONERO as reference.
-Two You are talking about the power consumption of the card only.
-Tree you are only talking about the RX V56
-Foor you are talking about underclocked cards.

Now go check my comments, You'll see me referencing RX Vega in general and the top number is for the 64 or the frontier edition OBVIOUSLY
Also I've talked several times about total system power consumption with CPU Mining !

I mean the math is easy 6000w/350w = 17 cards unless you are really downclocking and setting a very low power limite or using a custom bios unless you are not mining with CPU unless you are using 6 Cards or more per rig unless you are using platinum power supplies you won't increase the efficiency , if you do tho all this ! and with only Vega 56 No Vega 64 you might reach an optimal 180w per card or so! and then you might get to the 30 cards, this is A LOT of IFs

fully optimised rig
without the CPU Mining !
At least read what I've said before and don't give me truncated replies that just being dishonnest. You have your answer in the part you are claiming.

Also where are the answers to the points you were claiming before, OpenCL / Cuda and so on.

I am not being dishonest.
 YOU are blowing off the facts I post in favor of "gaming" information that has been repeatedly shown to you TO BE FALSE INFORMATION.
 *THAT* is being dishonest.
 Try reading what I post instead of blowing it off IN FAVOR OF YOUR LIES.

Unlike you, I HAVE been reading what you post - while you don't seem inclined to pay attention to ANYTHING I post, and can't even bother reading or paying attention to the few facts you have posted yourself THAT PROVE YOUR FIGURES ARE WRONG.

People who are mining Monero on Vega are generally using the Vega 56 BECAUSE IT IS MORE EFFICIENT THAN THE Vega 64, and the FE is CRAZY EXPENSIVE like any "workstation" targeted card.
 I am NOT talking "power of the card only" in most of what I have been talking about - like THOSE SYSTEMS YOU YOURSELF POSTED.
 I am talking about underclocked cards BECAUSE THAT IS HOW VEGA MINES MONERO EFFICIENTLY - doing it any other way is BLOODY STUPID AND A WASTE OF POWER.
 YOUR OWN POST showed a system running 3 Vega cards using 600 watts at the wall - yet you KEEP POSTING THAT BOGUS BS 350 WATT PER CARD FIGURE as if it has any reality.
 I am using Monero as a reference because that is one of the very few coins that possibly CAN be mined by your SoC stuff, and it probably the coin it would be the MOST efficient at mining on - if I was using pretty much anything ELSE as a reference, your SoC stuff wouldn't be able to compete at all or even be on the same PLANET much less in the ballpark.

kuroman

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 12:55:18 AM

I am not being dishonest.
 YOU are blowing off the facts I post in favor of "gaming" information that has been repeatedly shown to you TO BE FALSE INFORMATION.
 *THAT* is being dishonest.
 Try reading what I post instead of blowing it off IN FAVOR OF YOUR LIES.
Yes you are being dishonest. Like I said before and I repeat my self I did not post only gaming figures I posted mining figures aswell, you just came out out of no where with magical numbers without backing them up.
I said RX Vega cards including 64 you say Vega only 56 mining only monero.

Unlike you, I HAVE been reading what you post - while you don't seem inclined to pay attention to ANYTHING I post, and can't even bother reading or paying attention to the few facts you have posted yourself THAT PROVE YOUR FIGURES ARE WRONG.

You did not you didn't prove me wrong at any point, what you are doing is that you keep telling your self is that, You come with a specific case and say Oh look my "vega 56 monero mining consume this" and You say oh you say I'm wrong
You are totally wrong, I keep saying it, 350W ish is a correct figure if you take in consideration a rig of 3 cards cpu/gpu mining This is a normal case scenario and it is correct for people that use Vega 56 and 64 it's an average number not some specific bullshit
As for the number I posted, I posted the number in all honesty showing what the cards consume in different case scenario in different configuration and in the best case scenario aka full optimised build, vega 56 downclocked and undervolted mining OS and special Bios. I'm not stupid and I know my math you seems to not do so and prove wrong several times.

People who are mining Monero on Vega are generally using the Vega 56 BECAUSE IT IS MORE EFFICIENT THAN THE Vega 64, and the FE is CRAZY EXPENSIVE like any "workstation" targeted card.
 I am NOT talking "power of the card only" in most of what I have been talking about - like THOSE SYSTEMS YOU YOURSELF POSTED.
 I am talking about underclocked cards BECAUSE THAT IS HOW VEGA MINES MONERO EFFICIENTLY - doing it any other way is BLOODY STUPID AND A WASTE OF POWER.
 YOUR OWN POST showed a system running 3 Vega cards using 600 watts at the wall - yet you KEEP POSTING THAT BOGUS BS 350 WATT PER CARD FIGURE as if it has any reality.
 I am using Monero as a reference because that is one of the very few coins that possibly CAN be mined by your SoC stuff, and it probably the coin it would be the MOST efficient at mining on - if I was using pretty much anything ELSE as a reference, your SoC stuff wouldn't be able to compete at all or even be on the same PLANET much less in the ballpark.

What I've been saying Look specific use case, Fully optimized, Vega 56, Monero and power consumption per card without factoring a full system with GPU mining. Look here I invite you to read again my posts, and read really well and You'll figure out, maybe and I hope so, that I'm not talking about a specific card, a specific crypto... aka at one case scenarion, but giving an Average with a system being used at it full potential, like I do with my system for example I mean with CPU and GPU at the same time! since I have an I7 8700K and Vega64.

Also why I have Vega 64 simply because 56 is as expensive if not more expensive than the 64 here right now it was a no brainer for me especially I don't use my desktop as a full time mining rig.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 01:08:02 PM

Kuroman, since you refuse to bother paying attention to anything I have posted, and refuse to even pay attention to the information YOU YOURSELF HAVE POSTED that refutes your "17 cards for 6k" garbage, I refuse to point out your ERRORS AND MISTAKES AND LIES any more.
There is no point in my beating my head against the stone wall of your STUPIDITY any more to try to break through it with the FACTS.

Don't bother spewing at me any more, you are going on ignore.

kuroman

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 03:58:49 PM

Kuroman, since you refuse to bother paying attention to anything I have posted, and refuse to even pay attention to the information YOU YOURSELF HAVE POSTED that refutes your "17 cards for 6k" garbage, I refuse to point out your ERRORS AND MISTAKES AND LIES any more.
There is no point in my beating my head against the stone wall of your STUPIDITY any more to try to break through it with the FACTS.

Don't bother spewing at me any more, you are going on ignore.

So now you can't argue your refute to insults ? you didn't post a single fact, a single reputable source, nothing, I've even had to correct and teach you a couple of things about ARMs.

Anyway just saying don't be too rude to others if you don't agree to them, but glade had to to correct a couple of your misconception about the latest ARM SoC, even if we don't agree about the power consumption, but you really should work on your temper.
x_acidburn_x

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 07:48:21 PM

I'm currently running cpu multi miner on RaspberryPi 3 with raspbain lite. Each card will run around 25 hashes per second using the ARM possessor only. This requires alot of code optimization but it can be done. Unfortunately the RaspberryPi GPU lacks support for miners to develop software for, however you can mine on the Mali450 GPU found on the OrangePi and Tinkerboard. At this point all Mali GPU miners are modified from existing software with no official support. I just ordered my first OrangePi so I can't speak from personal experience but I've been told you can get up to 50 hashes from the gpu.... add the 25 from the ARM processor and that's not a bad result from $17-$35 hardware that consumes about 3 watts.
Branko

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 08:24:28 PM

I'm currently running cpu multi miner on RaspberryPi 3 with raspbain lite. Each card will run around 25 hashes per second using the ARM possessor only. This requires alot of code optimization but it can be done. Unfortunately the RaspberryPi GPU lacks support for miners to develop software for, however you can mine on the Mali450 GPU found on the OrangePi and Tinkerboard. At this point all Mali GPU miners are modified from existing software with no official support. I just ordered my first OrangePi so I can't speak from personal experience but I've been told you can get up to 50 hashes from the gpu.... add the 25 from the ARM processor and that's not a bad result from $17-$35 hardware that consumes about 3 watts.

But how those 75 hashes compare to 30 MEGAhashes from RX570?
x_acidburn_x

View Profile
December 28, 2017, 08:57:21 PM

How does $500 compare to $17?.....
jeyjey (OP)

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:02:50 PM

Hi acidburn thanks for reply! Please dont'go away. I would like to take advantage from mali450. How did you configure this gpu? I also use OrangePies lilliput machines. Expecially OrangePi Zero plus. It has a H5 64bit quadcore cpu with exacore Mali450 gpu. It is 4cm x 4cm and it uses 2watt of power. It mines with cpu multi miner at 10 solutions the Monero coin. Please can we unify our works? I would like to create a multicore cluster with that 13 euros littlest machine! Please wait i am writing from a very remote area with a little phone, sorry. During the next days i will back from holidays and i would like to write you.

For the other friends: yes i have a nvidia high power card but it is not the thread where talk to, because i would like to take the all hashing power from this low powered cpu in a sunny and windy very little island: it is a stone in the sea where no Cuda cards will be installed ON!
Aniway thanks for your precious help!
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:47:34 PM

Monero, therefore more like 500ish hash on the RX as I recall (definitely under 1000).

x_acidburn_x

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:56:11 PM

Hi acidburn thanks for reply! Please dont'go away. I would like to take advantage from mali450. How did you configure this gpu? I also use OrangePies lilliput machines. Expecially OrangePi Zero plus. It has a H5 64bit quadcore cpu with exacore Mali450 gpu. It is 4cm x 4cm and it uses 2watt of power. It mines with cpu multi miner at 10 solutions the Monero coin. Please can we unify our works? I would like to create a multicore cluster with that 13 euros littlest machine! Please wait i am writing from a very remote area with a little phone, sorry. During the next days i will back from holidays and i would like to write you.

For the other friends: yes i have a nvidia high power card but it is not the thread where talk to, because i would like to take the all hashing power from this low powered cpu in a sunny and windy very little island: it is a stone in the sea where no Cuda cards will be installed ON!
Aniway thanks for your precious help!

Like I said, I'm still waiting for the OrangePi's to show up so I haven't done any development on this board yet personally. As of right now my whole farm is RaspberryPi's which uses a different GPU. However a good starting point for you is to check out the NovaSpirits page on Tinkerboard GPU mining as this is the same GPU found on the OrangePi's. https://www.novaspirit.com/2017/12/21/gpu-mining-on-tinkerboard/ I'll also be writing up an instruction later today for RaspberryPi CPU mining.
badfad

Activity: 186
Merit: 4

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 04:06:36 PM

I would make a cluster with these boards and put it in a windy place with FREE and GREEN energy. I have the NVIDIA card 750 ti, already in my computer and I know what you all want to mean. But it is unbelieveable that no coders tryed to create a miner for the Mali450 processors and Cortex processors.

Dude this is like trying to get electricity on that island from many many smaller car engines on petrol instead of those huge diesel ones. You can and it could be done, but there is no point in it.
x_acidburn_x

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 04:12:13 PM

Dude this is like trying to get electricity on that island from many many smaller car engines on petrol instead of those huge diesel ones. You can and it could be done, but there is no point in it.

There is a point, if you have a good strategy Wink
Branko

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 04:35:54 PM

Monero, therefore more like 500ish hash on the RX as I recall (definitely under 1000).

You think so? So where those 75H/s come from, since the result for the 8xARM Cortex-A53 on a playstore monero mining app @ 7 threads is ~6-8 H/s
x_acidburn_x

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:02:40 PM

You think so? So where those 75H/s come from, since the result for the 8xARM Cortex-A53 on a playstore monero mining app @ 7 threads is ~6-8 H/s

First off, I said the 75 came from the CPU and GPU working together, the CPU on it's own makes 24-26. That's 4 cores, not 8, at 6-8 hashes per core... would you like a calculator? Now since none of your opinions have anything to do with the OPs question, why don't you go pat yourself on the back for copying the same GPU rig every other miner on the planet has built and let the rest of us work. Thanks.
Branko

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:14:41 PM

First off, I said the 75 came from the CPU and GPU working together, the CPU on it's own makes 24-26. That's 4 cores, not 8, at 6-8 hashes per core... would you like a calculator? Now since none of your opinions have anything to do with the OPs question, why don't you go pat yourself on the back for copying the same GPU rig every other miner on the planet has built and let the rest of us work. Thanks.

OP asked why, and I told him why, lol

I would not like calculator, I'd like screenshot or video, otherwise you're pulling those numbers from thin air

x_acidburn_x

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:23:57 PM

I would not like calculator, I'd like screenshot or video, otherwise you're pulling those numbers from thin air

https://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=2017&image=frech_2_6_med

I don't feel like I have to prove myself to someone who recently asked "what's the best ripple miner"  Roll Eyes https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2442889.msg25016295#msg25016295
Branko

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

I don't feel like I have to prove myself to someone who recently asked "what's the best ripple miner"  Roll Eyes https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2442889.msg25016295#msg25016295

Yes, you don't...you just proved your IQ, lol
jeyjey (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 05:17:21 PM

Acidburn thanks! I loved to see the Novaspirit link!!! The guy that made the video told us a lot of settings to take the more from a Raspberry or other PI's devices. I Have a lot to tell you, please stay tuned here because I made a configuration for an OrangePi ZERO PLUS arrived a week ago. I Will try to rebuild the software with the instructions provided by you here and I will recompile the miner!!! Thanks!!! The ZERO PLUS is the littlest 64 bit SBC in the world and it costs only ten dollars. It is quad core only and if I will learn hot to take advantage from the mali GPU I will goal the project: a 12 dollars solarpanel for a SBC OrangePi Zero Plus and I will mine with it for just 25 dollars. The problem is HOW to compile the miner and what should be the most powerfull miner for Cortex CPU and Mali GPU. Many thanks and love from Italy!
nikel

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 10:42:56 PM

Hi ! I have tried to install cpuminer on my tinkerboard (tinkerOS version v2.0.4 - Debian stretch based. 2017/11/15)

I copy from tutorial for raspberry, unfortunately there are not much tutorial for tinkerboard even if it is much more powerful 2.2GHz overclocked
sudo apt-get install automake autoconf pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev libjansson-dev libssl-dev libgmp-dev make g++ git libgmp-dev opencl-headers libncurses5-dev libtool

git clone https://github.com/tpruvot/cpuminer-multi

cd cpuminer-multi

./autogen.sh && build.sh

linaro@tinkerboard:~/cpuminer-multi$ ./autogen.sh && build.sh
configure.ac:15: installing './compile'
configure.ac:4:
 installing './config.guess'
configure.ac:4: installing './config.sub'
configure.ac:9: installing './install-sh'
configure.ac:9:
 installing './missing'
Makefile.am: installing './depcomp'
bash: build.sh: comando non trovato

error message build.sh command not found

farhouse

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:35:34 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 02:53:48 PM by farhouse

Hello,

I have been researching for your question and let me tell you my humble opinion:

I have 4 Soc Boards:

Serveral Raspberry pi 2
One Orange Pi One Plus (allwinner H3 With Mali400MP2)
Odroid C2 (amlogic S905 with Mali450)
Pandaboard (Ti-omap 4430 With PowerVr Sgx540)

I have found that almos every board has a better 1cpu hashrate than the raspberry. I have tested Monero, aeon, litecoin, and magi.

for monero, The Odroid C2 has a 3.07h/s per cpu, and the orange pi has a 2.0h/s per cpu.

In litecoin, the odroid has a 1.18kh/s per cpu and the orange a 0.39kh/s per cpu.

For every scrypt the diferencies vary from one to the other.

But searching online i had the same question that you have, why isnt there any GPU support. I found that mining software relies on OpenCl for gpu mining, and almost no Embeded board has support for opencl.

for example, only From the mali 600 to the top have opencl support, mali 400 and 450 doesnt, and most SOC, dont need opencl to run 1080p. Almost all PowerVr graphics boards have opencl.

The panda has opencl support, and i was able to compile the novaspirit version of SGminer, (that by the way, found the gpu), but for some reason that i dont know, it doesnt work, once i make the file and try to use it, it wont start.

This are my findings so far.

I will try to buy an odroid xu4 that has a mali628mp, and supports opencl1.1, once i have it i will test the same code that novaspirit has.

Have a good day.

Edit1: Well it seems the reason i cant run the sgminer on the pandaboard is becouse it does not find the opencl SDK. searching over the net, it seems that Texas instrument never released the sdk for the tiomap4430, so altough the gpu has opencl support, the sdk is not available and there is no support. So pandaboard is out of the game.
hominoid

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:10:51 PM

The Odorid XU4/MC1/HC1/HC2 is going to be the best choice I'm aware of and sgminer-gm 5.5.5a is running on them already under OpenCL 1.2.
Checkout the Odroid forum post on Dual GPU-CPU mining for more info:

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=29571

I believe for low diff. and new coins it is a viable option...in the right situation.
Here is a Verium hash rate comparison that includes SBC's on the second sheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-hyFS-bqsopttmql6NgYWlWej9rZk_lm5MWivnehXg/edit#gid=0
wll1rah

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 12:16:25 AM

Everyone knows that Nvidia cards are much more efficient right now.
Your 300W load is only considering the GPU load. And like I said before even if you consider such figure You cannot reach the 30 you've mentioned that's simple math.
20Hash on monero is totaly possible an 835 in theory, neither the 835 or the X1 have 2MB of cache per core they have 2MB per 4 cores. but you are not factoring the GPU Side of thing
Like I said before the cost from random supplier is expensive, but if you can build your own board it can be interesting. It is hard to justify such a project considering that not only the miners and software is not efficient

as for  

There are always different version of these SoC for different markets for example when Nvidia or Qualcomm produce a SoC for embeded machines these SoC do not have said functionalities, and Again your forget each time about the GPU side of these SoC please check out the SDA835 (APQ8098) for example ! as for floating point calculation it's a correct way of comparing hardware especially when it comes to different platforms, since it doesn't not require platform optimisation and whatsnot.
ARM processors aren't like x86, and they usually have a shared  L2 Cache for all cores.  My Allwinner H3 avg's 8H/s for four cores and 2.25 for a single core.  the proccessor only has a 512KB L2 cache, so if the rules were correct I'd get negative performamce from rather than a performance increase.  Reason being  the L2 is shared and is low latency and even though your using sd cards it tiny amounts information being read so you don't have big drops in performance.  You really have to look at the whole design and these are precursors to ASIC's
TulioS

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 01:55:50 AM

i'll revive this post because i dia test that show some numbers that can make a build wth ARM processors viable, depending of the Hardware cost, i have a samsung S8+ that have 4x Enxynos M1 2,31GHz + 4x Arm Cortex A53 @1,69GHZ, i did a mining test wth Tony Monero app, i'm mining a new alt coin with Cryptonight Algo. I'm able to get 30H/s with the 4 Enxynos M1 cores, when i turn the 5th (1 Arm Cortex A53) core my hash goes up toaround 34.2 and 35.4h/s, that is a gain of around 5h/s, we could assume that a Arm Cortex A53 can process 5h/s.

Also, a Arm Cortex A53 consumes around 270mW (https://www.anandtech.com/show/8718/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-exynos-review/4),that means a performance of 5/(0,27)h/sW= 18.51h/W.

I'm mining the same coin with the same algo with a single NVIDIA PNY GTX 1070 and getting with 84W 720H/s that is a performance of 8.57h/W.

Analysing only the Watts not the hardware cost, an Arm CortexA53 Rig could produce the same H/s of a GTX 1070 (Cryptonight-Heavy algo in this case) with only 38.90W, 54%  less power consuption.

For, at leaSt, Cryptonight-Heavy, if we were able to build a rig full of Arm Cortex A53 processors, only analysing the power consumption it is damn viable.

What are yours thoughts?
Branko

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 07:57:05 AM

i'll revive this post because i dia test that show some numbers that can make a build wth ARM processors viable, depending of the Hardware cost, i have a samsung S8+ that have 4x Enxynos M1 2,31GHz + 4x Arm Cortex A53 @1,69GHZ, i did a mining test wth Tony Monero app, i'm mining a new alt coin with Cryptonight Algo. I'm able to get 30H/s with the 4 Enxynos M1 cores, when i turn the 5th (1 Arm Cortex A53) core my hash goes up toaround 34.2 and 35.4h/s, that is a gain of around 5h/s, we could assume that a Arm Cortex A53 can process 5h/s.

Also, a Arm Cortex A53 consumes around 270mW (https://www.anandtech.com/show/8718/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-exynos-review/4),that means a performance of 5/(0,27)h/sW= 18.51h/W.

I'm mining the same coin with the same algo with a single NVIDIA PNY GTX 1070 and getting with 84W 720H/s that is a performance of 8.57h/W.

Analysing only the Watts not the hardware cost, an Arm CortexA53 Rig could produce the same H/s of a GTX 1070 (Cryptonight-Heavy algo in this case) with only 38.90W, 54%  less power consuption.

For, at leaSt, Cryptonight-Heavy, if we were able to build a rig full of Arm Cortex A53 processors, only analysing the power consumption it is damn viable.

What are yours thoughts?

Question is, is it viable to buy 144 A53 cores to replace one 1070?
I don't know how cheap you can get those cores if you're buying in bulk
(1440 cores to replace 10-card 1070 rig) but 180 8-core ARM processors sound expensive

TulioS

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 01:47:04 PM

What are yours thoughts?

Question is, is it viable to buy 144 A53 cores to replace one 1070?
I don't know how cheap you can get those cores if you're buying in bulk
(1440 cores to replace 10-card 1070 rig) but 180 8-core ARM processors sound expensive

I would like to know if some1 could give us that info.

I looked into it and found only a Raspbery Pi with 1 processor of 4 cores for 41usd on ebay. How much would cost if engineers could make this possible a "raspbery pi" with 144 cores 36 processors... The 5h/s mentioned above is per core. Also the 270mw is per core, but per processor the consumption doesnt go higher than 900mw (is not linear as u can see in the link in my first post) and is 4 cores. However in the App that i used i could not isolate the whole arm A53 from the Enxynos M1 to measure the processor perfomance.

So how much would cost a build with 36 Arm A53 processor?

Also we must remeber that the GPU running 24/7, in the end of the month will delivery a energy bill of 60.48Wh (84*24*30) and the 36 A53 processors will be 23.3kWh (0.9*24*30*36).

Less 446kWh per year.
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: