Bitcoin Forum
May 23, 2024, 04:33:39 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ARM processors with Mali Octacore - ignored by mining coders, why?  (Read 1531 times)
jeyjey (OP)

Activity: 18
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 06:02:50 PM

Hi acidburn thanks for reply! Please dont'go away. I would like to take advantage from mali450. How did you configure this gpu? I also use OrangePies lilliput machines. Expecially OrangePi Zero plus. It has a H5 64bit quadcore cpu with exacore Mali450 gpu. It is 4cm x 4cm and it uses 2watt of power. It mines with cpu multi miner at 10 solutions the Monero coin. Please can we unify our works? I would like to create a multicore cluster with that 13 euros littlest machine! Please wait i am writing from a very remote area with a little phone, sorry. During the next days i will back from holidays and i would like to write you.

For the other friends: yes i have a nvidia high power card but it is not the thread where talk to, because i would like to take the all hashing power from this low powered cpu in a sunny and windy very little island: it is a stone in the sea where no Cuda cards will be installed ON!
Aniway thanks for your precious help!
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 29, 2017, 09:47:34 PM

I'm currently running cpu multi miner on RaspberryPi 3 with raspbain lite. Each card will run around 25 hashes per second using the ARM possessor only. This requires alot of code optimization but it can be done. Unfortunately the RaspberryPi GPU lacks support for miners to develop software for, however you can mine on the Mali450 GPU found on the OrangePi and Tinkerboard. At this point all Mali GPU miners are modified from existing software with no official support. I just ordered my first OrangePi so I can't speak from personal experience but I've been told you can get up to 50 hashes from the gpu.... add the 25 from the ARM processor and that's not a bad result from $17-$35 hardware that consumes about 3 watts.

But how those 75 hashes compare to 30 MEGAhashes from RX570?

Monero, therefore more like 500ish hash on the RX as I recall (definitely under 1000).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
x_acidburn_x

Activity: 25

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 03:56:11 PM

Hi acidburn thanks for reply! Please dont'go away. I would like to take advantage from mali450. How did you configure this gpu? I also use OrangePies lilliput machines. Expecially OrangePi Zero plus. It has a H5 64bit quadcore cpu with exacore Mali450 gpu. It is 4cm x 4cm and it uses 2watt of power. It mines with cpu multi miner at 10 solutions the Monero coin. Please can we unify our works? I would like to create a multicore cluster with that 13 euros littlest machine! Please wait i am writing from a very remote area with a little phone, sorry. During the next days i will back from holidays and i would like to write you.

For the other friends: yes i have a nvidia high power card but it is not the thread where talk to, because i would like to take the all hashing power from this low powered cpu in a sunny and windy very little island: it is a stone in the sea where no Cuda cards will be installed ON!
Aniway thanks for your precious help!

Like I said, I'm still waiting for the OrangePi's to show up so I haven't done any development on this board yet personally. As of right now my whole farm is RaspberryPi's which uses a different GPU. However a good starting point for you is to check out the NovaSpirits page on Tinkerboard GPU mining as this is the same GPU found on the OrangePi's. https://www.novaspirit.com/2017/12/21/gpu-mining-on-tinkerboard/ I'll also be writing up an instruction later today for RaspberryPi CPU mining.
badfad

Activity: 186
Merit: 4

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 04:06:36 PM

Please see this: http://cluster.bitscope.com/

I would make a cluster with these boards and put it in a windy place with FREE and GREEN energy. I have the NVIDIA card 750 ti, already in my computer and I know what you all want to mean. But it is unbelieveable that no coders tryed to create a miner for the Mali450 processors and Cortex processors.

Dude this is like trying to get electricity on that island from many many smaller car engines on petrol instead of those huge diesel ones. You can and it could be done, but there is no point in it.
x_acidburn_x

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 04:12:13 PM

Please see this: http://cluster.bitscope.com/

I would make a cluster with these boards and put it in a windy place with FREE and GREEN energy. I have the NVIDIA card 750 ti, already in my computer and I know what you all want to mean. But it is unbelieveable that no coders tryed to create a miner for the Mali450 processors and Cortex processors.

Dude this is like trying to get electricity on that island from many many smaller car engines on petrol instead of those huge diesel ones. You can and it could be done, but there is no point in it.

There is a point, if you have a good strategy Wink
Branko

Activity: 2478
Merit: 318

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 04:35:54 PM

I'm currently running cpu multi miner on RaspberryPi 3 with raspbain lite. Each card will run around 25 hashes per second using the ARM possessor only. This requires alot of code optimization but it can be done. Unfortunately the RaspberryPi GPU lacks support for miners to develop software for, however you can mine on the Mali450 GPU found on the OrangePi and Tinkerboard. At this point all Mali GPU miners are modified from existing software with no official support. I just ordered my first OrangePi so I can't speak from personal experience but I've been told you can get up to 50 hashes from the gpu.... add the 25 from the ARM processor and that's not a bad result from $17-$35 hardware that consumes about 3 watts.

Monero, therefore more like 500ish hash on the RX as I recall (definitely under 1000).

You think so? So where those 75H/s come from, since the result for the 8xARM Cortex-A53 on a playstore monero mining app @ 7 threads is ~6-8 H/s
x_acidburn_x

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:02:40 PM

You think so? So where those 75H/s come from, since the result for the 8xARM Cortex-A53 on a playstore monero mining app @ 7 threads is ~6-8 H/s

First off, I said the 75 came from the CPU and GPU working together, the CPU on it's own makes 24-26. That's 4 cores, not 8, at 6-8 hashes per core... would you like a calculator? Now since none of your opinions have anything to do with the OPs question, why don't you go pat yourself on the back for copying the same GPU rig every other miner on the planet has built and let the rest of us work. Thanks.
Branko

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:14:41 PM

First off, I said the 75 came from the CPU and GPU working together, the CPU on it's own makes 24-26. That's 4 cores, not 8, at 6-8 hashes per core... would you like a calculator? Now since none of your opinions have anything to do with the OPs question, why don't you go pat yourself on the back for copying the same GPU rig every other miner on the planet has built and let the rest of us work. Thanks.

OP asked why, and I told him why, lol

I would not like calculator, I'd like screenshot or video, otherwise you're pulling those numbers from thin air

x_acidburn_x

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:23:57 PM

I would not like calculator, I'd like screenshot or video, otherwise you're pulling those numbers from thin air

https://www.phoronix.net/image.php?id=2017&image=frech_2_6_med

I don't feel like I have to prove myself to someone who recently asked "what's the best ripple miner"  Roll Eyes https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2442889.msg25016295#msg25016295
Branko

View Profile
December 30, 2017, 05:32:06 PM

I don't feel like I have to prove myself to someone who recently asked "what's the best ripple miner"  Roll Eyes https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2442889.msg25016295#msg25016295

Yes, you don't...you just proved your IQ, lol
jeyjey (OP)

Activity: 18

View Profile
January 03, 2018, 05:17:21 PM

Acidburn thanks! I loved to see the Novaspirit link!!! The guy that made the video told us a lot of settings to take the more from a Raspberry or other PI's devices. I Have a lot to tell you, please stay tuned here because I made a configuration for an OrangePi ZERO PLUS arrived a week ago. I Will try to rebuild the software with the instructions provided by you here and I will recompile the miner!!! Thanks!!! The ZERO PLUS is the littlest 64 bit SBC in the world and it costs only ten dollars. It is quad core only and if I will learn hot to take advantage from the mali GPU I will goal the project: a 12 dollars solarpanel for a SBC OrangePi Zero Plus and I will mine with it for just 25 dollars. The problem is HOW to compile the miner and what should be the most powerfull miner for Cortex CPU and Mali GPU. Many thanks and love from Italy!
nikel

Activity: 2

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 10:42:56 PM

Hi ! I have tried to install cpuminer on my tinkerboard (tinkerOS version v2.0.4 - Debian stretch based. 2017/11/15)

I copy from tutorial for raspberry, unfortunately there are not much tutorial for tinkerboard even if it is much more powerful 2.2GHz overclocked
sudo apt-get install automake autoconf pkg-config libcurl4-openssl-dev libjansson-dev libssl-dev libgmp-dev make g++ git libgmp-dev opencl-headers libncurses5-dev libtool

git clone https://github.com/tpruvot/cpuminer-multi

cd cpuminer-multi

./autogen.sh && build.sh

linaro@tinkerboard:~/cpuminer-multi$ ./autogen.sh && build.sh
configure.ac:15: installing './compile'
configure.ac:4:
 installing './config.guess'
configure.ac:4: installing './config.sub'
configure.ac:9: installing './install-sh'
configure.ac:9:
 installing './missing'
Makefile.am: installing './depcomp'
bash: build.sh: comando non trovato

error message build.sh command not found

farhouse

Activity: 1

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 02:35:34 PM
Last edit: January 31, 2018, 02:53:48 PM by farhouse

Hello,

I have been researching for your question and let me tell you my humble opinion:

I have 4 Soc Boards:

Serveral Raspberry pi 2
One Orange Pi One Plus (allwinner H3 With Mali400MP2)
Odroid C2 (amlogic S905 with Mali450)
Pandaboard (Ti-omap 4430 With PowerVr Sgx540)

I have found that almos every board has a better 1cpu hashrate than the raspberry. I have tested Monero, aeon, litecoin, and magi.

for monero, The Odroid C2 has a 3.07h/s per cpu, and the orange pi has a 2.0h/s per cpu.

In litecoin, the odroid has a 1.18kh/s per cpu and the orange a 0.39kh/s per cpu.

For every scrypt the diferencies vary from one to the other.

But searching online i had the same question that you have, why isnt there any GPU support. I found that mining software relies on OpenCl for gpu mining, and almost no Embeded board has support for opencl.

for example, only From the mali 600 to the top have opencl support, mali 400 and 450 doesnt, and most SOC, dont need opencl to run 1080p. Almost all PowerVr graphics boards have opencl.

The panda has opencl support, and i was able to compile the novaspirit version of SGminer, (that by the way, found the gpu), but for some reason that i dont know, it doesnt work, once i make the file and try to use it, it wont start.

This are my findings so far.

I will try to buy an odroid xu4 that has a mali628mp, and supports opencl1.1, once i have it i will test the same code that novaspirit has.

Have a good day.

Edit1: Well it seems the reason i cant run the sgminer on the pandaboard is becouse it does not find the opencl SDK. searching over the net, it seems that Texas instrument never released the sdk for the tiomap4430, so altough the gpu has opencl support, the sdk is not available and there is no support. So pandaboard is out of the game.
hominoid

Activity: 8

View Profile
January 31, 2018, 04:10:51 PM

The Odorid XU4/MC1/HC1/HC2 is going to be the best choice I'm aware of and sgminer-gm 5.5.5a is running on them already under OpenCL 1.2.
Checkout the Odroid forum post on Dual GPU-CPU mining for more info:

https://forum.odroid.com/viewtopic.php?f=98&t=29571

I believe for low diff. and new coins it is a viable option...in the right situation.
Here is a Verium hash rate comparison that includes SBC's on the second sheet.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1O-hyFS-bqsopttmql6NgYWlWej9rZk_lm5MWivnehXg/edit#gid=0
wll1rah

Activity: 209
Merit: 100

View Profile
April 17, 2018, 12:16:25 AM

Gaming reviews have NOTHING to do with mining usage.
Try looking at the various build-up reviews for the Vega FOR MONERO MINING USAGE.

For a specific related example, most of the reviews I have seen put "high load" power usage of a GTX 1070 ti in the 180-220 watt range - yet the MOST EFFICIENT mining point for those cards is 106 watts give or take a couple, and even folks that "push" them for higher hashrate rarely go higher than 145-150 range because the gains above that are TINY compared to the increase in power usage (my specific 1070 ti mining cards are currently set to 105 watts to keep total system draw under 6 amps on the system they are in).

Also, the Vega 64 pulls a lot more power IN GAMING USAGE than the 56 does, the 56 was deliberately designed by AMD to have a much lower TDP limit

YOU need to check your ASSUMPTIONS, that's where you are messing up.

Floating Point operations are 100% WORTHLESS for cryptocoin usage, which is 100% INTEGER operations.
 Another BAD ASSUMPTION you make, not a mistake on MY part.
 Would you also care to explain how "LTE16x" cell phone interface helps mining? Just for ONE example of the "not useful stuff for mining" on a Snapdragon 835.

My "under 300 watt" measurement was made AT THE WALL on a Brand power meter while the system was actively hashing at 1950+ hash on Monero mining - and that was on a system that is NOT "power optimised" well, as I've never figured out how to get bloody Wattman to do a lot of the stuff I can do routinely in Afterburner like UNDERVOLT (Vega 56 cards LOVE to be undervolted, they tend to clock HIGHER with some undervolt as it lets them stay below the TDP easier). It is running a severely overkill Gold-rated power supply (Seasonic X-850) because that's what I had available when I put the system together, but the system is based on a FM2 motherboard with am AMD A10-7890k (which is NOT a low power APU) with the iGPU running the graphics for Win10, an HGST 3TB hd (system is also doing BURST mining) so the actual power draw of the SYSTEM as a whole would probably be about 275 watts (That model of PS usually pulls about 92% efficiency in the 30-50% load range).
 220 watts draw for the GPU is a PESSIMISTIC estimate, as I'm pretty sure the rest of the system is pulling 80-100 watts total NOT 50-60.

Presuming an optimistic 2 watts, can a Snapdragon manage 20 hash on Monero?
 8 cores at 2 Ghz (ballpark average, I saw the "big/little" core split) in theory should manage more, but how much CACHE do they have on them - Monero wants ballpark 2 MB of CPU CACHE MEMORY per thread to run efficiently (and I can't find a spec anywhere that shows the amount of CPU cache on a Snapdragon).

Then figure in the COST of the things - even *IF* they can mine efficiently, is it worth the COST of the things for whatever hashrate they achieve?
 THAT is the primary reason pretty much any SoC setup gets ignored for mining - even if it IS efficient in hash/watt, the sheer COST makes the time to achieve ROI end up being measured in YEARS.

Everyone knows that Nvidia cards are much more efficient right now.
Your 300W load is only considering the GPU load. And like I said before even if you consider such figure You cannot reach the 30 you've mentioned that's simple math.
20Hash on monero is totaly possible an 835 in theory, neither the 835 or the X1 have 2MB of cache per core they have 2MB per 4 cores. but you are not factoring the GPU Side of thing
Like I said before the cost from random supplier is expensive, but if you can build your own board it can be interesting. It is hard to justify such a project considering that not only the miners and software is not efficient

as for  
Floating Point operations are 100% WORTHLESS for cryptocoin usage, which is 100% INTEGER operations.
 Another BAD ASSUMPTION you make, not a mistake on MY part.
 Would you also care to explain how "LTE16x" cell phone interface helps mining? Just for ONE example of the "not useful stuff for mining" on a Snapdragon 835.

There are always different version of these SoC for different markets for example when Nvidia or Qualcomm produce a SoC for embeded machines these SoC do not have said functionalities, and Again your forget each time about the GPU side of these SoC please check out the SDA835 (APQ8098) for example ! as for floating point calculation it's a correct way of comparing hardware especially when it comes to different platforms, since it doesn't not require platform optimisation and whatsnot.
ARM processors aren't like x86, and they usually have a shared  L2 Cache for all cores.  My Allwinner H3 avg's 8H/s for four cores and 2.25 for a single core.  the proccessor only has a 512KB L2 cache, so if the rules were correct I'd get negative performamce from rather than a performance increase.  Reason being  the L2 is shared and is low latency and even though your using sd cards it tiny amounts information being read so you don't have big drops in performance.  You really have to look at the whole design and these are precursors to ASIC's
TulioS

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 01:55:50 AM

i'll revive this post because i dia test that show some numbers that can make a build wth ARM processors viable, depending of the Hardware cost, i have a samsung S8+ that have 4x Enxynos M1 2,31GHz + 4x Arm Cortex A53 @1,69GHZ, i did a mining test wth Tony Monero app, i'm mining a new alt coin with Cryptonight Algo. I'm able to get 30H/s with the 4 Enxynos M1 cores, when i turn the 5th (1 Arm Cortex A53) core my hash goes up toaround 34.2 and 35.4h/s, that is a gain of around 5h/s, we could assume that a Arm Cortex A53 can process 5h/s.

Also, a Arm Cortex A53 consumes around 270mW (https://www.anandtech.com/show/8718/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-exynos-review/4),that means a performance of 5/(0,27)h/sW= 18.51h/W.

I'm mining the same coin with the same algo with a single NVIDIA PNY GTX 1070 and getting with 84W 720H/s that is a performance of 8.57h/W.

Analysing only the Watts not the hardware cost, an Arm CortexA53 Rig could produce the same H/s of a GTX 1070 (Cryptonight-Heavy algo in this case) with only 38.90W, 54%  less power consuption.

For, at leaSt, Cryptonight-Heavy, if we were able to build a rig full of Arm Cortex A53 processors, only analysing the power consumption it is damn viable.

What are yours thoughts?
Branko

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 07:57:05 AM

i'll revive this post because i dia test that show some numbers that can make a build wth ARM processors viable, depending of the Hardware cost, i have a samsung S8+ that have 4x Enxynos M1 2,31GHz + 4x Arm Cortex A53 @1,69GHZ, i did a mining test wth Tony Monero app, i'm mining a new alt coin with Cryptonight Algo. I'm able to get 30H/s with the 4 Enxynos M1 cores, when i turn the 5th (1 Arm Cortex A53) core my hash goes up toaround 34.2 and 35.4h/s, that is a gain of around 5h/s, we could assume that a Arm Cortex A53 can process 5h/s.

Also, a Arm Cortex A53 consumes around 270mW (https://www.anandtech.com/show/8718/the-samsung-galaxy-note-4-exynos-review/4),that means a performance of 5/(0,27)h/sW= 18.51h/W.

I'm mining the same coin with the same algo with a single NVIDIA PNY GTX 1070 and getting with 84W 720H/s that is a performance of 8.57h/W.

Analysing only the Watts not the hardware cost, an Arm CortexA53 Rig could produce the same H/s of a GTX 1070 (Cryptonight-Heavy algo in this case) with only 38.90W, 54%  less power consuption.

For, at leaSt, Cryptonight-Heavy, if we were able to build a rig full of Arm Cortex A53 processors, only analysing the power consumption it is damn viable.

What are yours thoughts?

Question is, is it viable to buy 144 A53 cores to replace one 1070?
I don't know how cheap you can get those cores if you're buying in bulk
(1440 cores to replace 10-card 1070 rig) but 180 8-core ARM processors sound expensive

TulioS

Activity: 12

View Profile
August 03, 2018, 01:47:04 PM

What are yours thoughts?

Question is, is it viable to buy 144 A53 cores to replace one 1070?
I don't know how cheap you can get those cores if you're buying in bulk
(1440 cores to replace 10-card 1070 rig) but 180 8-core ARM processors sound expensive

I would like to know if some1 could give us that info.

I looked into it and found only a Raspbery Pi with 1 processor of 4 cores for 41usd on ebay. How much would cost if engineers could make this possible a "raspbery pi" with 144 cores 36 processors... The 5h/s mentioned above is per core. Also the 270mw is per core, but per processor the consumption doesnt go higher than 900mw (is not linear as u can see in the link in my first post) and is 4 cores. However in the App that i used i could not isolate the whole arm A53 from the Enxynos M1 to measure the processor perfomance.

So how much would cost a build with 36 Arm A53 processor?

Also we must remeber that the GPU running 24/7, in the end of the month will delivery a energy bill of 60.48Wh (84*24*30) and the 36 A53 processors will be 23.3kWh (0.9*24*30*36).

Less 446kWh per year.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: