Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 02:49:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL ASIC seized by EU , european & german Customs  (Read 19050 times)
iANDROID

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

Swiss Money all around me!

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 06:17:00 AM

If you think you are going to have customs problems, ask for the miner to be shipped without a power supply and source an approved one locally yourself. This is what Avalon have been doing, and probably why KNCminer are going to ship without a power supply.

The alternative is the possibility of not having your ASIC miner.

I can imagine the answer from BFL:

All sales or final, we can't do it.

They have already been shipping Singles without power supplies for some people,  this is obviously a potential problem, and it would be nice if you helped people with useful suggestions or refrain from posting.

To clarify the EU position, I send an email to the Swiss Customs.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 09:48:18 AM

Wikipedia states that self certification is possible.  I didn't bother reading after page 1 in case another person also found and posted this information.

Self-certification

Depending on the level of risk of the product, the CE marking is affixed to a product by the manufacturer or authorized representative who decides whether the product meets all the CE marking requirements. If a product has minimal risk, it can be self-certified where manufacturers a Declaration of Conformity and affixes the CE marking to their own product. Manufacturer then must do several things:
1. Decide whether the product needs to have a CE marking and if the product applies to more than one directive it needs to comply with all of them.
2. Choose the conformity assessment procedure from the modules called out by the directive for the product. There are several modules available for the Conformity Assessment Procedures as listed below:
Module A – Internal production control.
Module B – EC type-examination.
Module C – Conformity to type.
Module D – Production quality assurance.
Module E – Product quality assurance.
Module F – Product verification.
Module G – Unit verification.
Module H – Full quality assurance.
These will often ask questions about the product to classify the level of risk and then refer to the "Conformity Assessment Procedures" chart. This shows all the acceptable options available to a manufacturer to certify the product and affix the CE marking.
Products considered to have a greater risk have to be independently certified by a notified body. This is an organization that has been nominated by a Member State and has been notified by the European Commission. These notified bodies act as test labs and carry out the steps as listed in the directives mentioned above and then decided whether the product has passed. A manufacturer can choose its own notified body in any Member State of the European Union but should be independent of the manufacturer and a private sector organization or a government agency.

Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:52:04 AM

Guys if you really want to get into the legal ins and outs as well as potential recourse, I suggest you take a look here;

This first;

http://www.slideshare.net/cbock/ce-marking-what-can-legal-metrology-learn-from-intellectual-property

Then;

http://www.conformance.co.uk/

http://www.ce-mag.com/dcforum/DCForumID18/63.html

http://ec.europa.eu/enterprise/policies/single-market-goods/cemarking/downloads/ce_brochure_en.pdf

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:02:40 AM

Looking at the BFL supplied cable, its rated at either 3A or 8A. Not huge wattage, but more than enough for a Jalapeno.

Is rated 6 A.
So it is... So theoretical maximum of 1500w. For sure I would not be comfortable running that much power through it (it would get warm) but still, more than enough to manage.

13v x 6A = 78watts max.

Cable != power supply. The supply is rated at what, 78 watts, but the actual cable from mains to the power supply is rated to a maximum of 1500w. As said though, I would not want to try putting that much through it as it would certainly get warm.

Would it get warmer at US voltage (110) or UK voltage (220) if you put the maximum 6A through it?
SwissMiner

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 10:42:54 AM

What the Chinese seem to do is ship to someone in Switzerland and get them to walk over the boarder into the EU.  Wink

1 BTC/each for forwarding (Switzerland to EU) your miner  Grin

.. bitcoin's make the world go around .. world go around .. world go around ..
Bitcoinorama

Activity: 532

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:51:35 AM

What the Chinese seem to do is ship to someone in Switzerland and get them to walk over the boarder into the EU.  Wink

1 BTC/each for forwarding (Switzerland to EU) your miner  Grin

I have to admit I would love to live in Switzerland...the place is breathtaking, incredible snow, and super environmentally focused.

Make my day! Say thanks if you found me helpful Smiley BTC Address --->
1487ThaKjezGA6SiE8fvGcxbgJJu6XWtZp
iANDROID

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:09:43 AM

What the Chinese seem to do is ship to someone in Switzerland and get them to walk over the boarder into the EU.  Wink

1 BTC/each for forwarding (Switzerland to EU) your miner  Grin

I have to admit I would love to live in Switzerland...the place is breathtaking, incredible snow, and super environmentally focused.

And then, when you see the shipping price.
For 15BTC, I will let you come 1 day in my home.

EDIT: Switzerland follow the same law as EU.
SwissMiner

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 11:38:23 AM

Switzerland follow the same law as EU.

Huh

In which Kanton you are living as you have problems importing goods from China ?

I'm living in SG, never ever had troubles with China-Imports  Grin

iANDROID

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:45:43 AM

Switzerland follow the same law as EU.

Huh

In which Kanton you are living as you have problems importing goods from China ?

I'm living in SG, never ever had troubles with China-Imports  Grin

FR with this: http://dx.com/p/portable-solar-powered-4000mah-battery-w-charging-adapters-101004
Tinua

Activity: 871
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:51:00 AM

Let write iANDROID a few mails more to custom. Then we will have also problems with import.  Roll Eyes
SwissMiner

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 11:55:28 AM

Please show me/us the official statement from Swiss-Customs ..

Tinua

Activity: 871

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:57:29 AM

Furthermore, it was exactly 1 jalapeno stopped by an overenthusiastic customs employees!

Do not make an elephant out of a mouse.
iANDROID

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:06:53 PM

You really think of me having it after more than a year?
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 12:16:18 PM

Looking at the BFL supplied cable, its rated at either 3A or 8A. Not huge wattage, but more than enough for a Jalapeno.

Is rated 6 A.
So it is... So theoretical maximum of 1500w. For sure I would not be comfortable running that much power through it (it would get warm) but still, more than enough to manage.

13v x 6A = 78watts max.

Cable != power supply. The supply is rated at what, 78 watts, but the actual cable from mains to the power supply is rated to a maximum of 1500w. As said though, I would not want to try putting that much through it as it would certainly get warm.

Would it get warmer at US voltage (110) or UK voltage (220) if you put the maximum 6A through it?

It would get just as warm if it was 6A on either voltage. The resistance would be the same, so the energy lost in the form of heat would be the same. Proportionally you would be losing more at 110v though. Where it gets fun is when you're considering watts (I*V=W). If you're using 220v you only need half as much current as if you're using 110v to get the same number of watts, and because resistance in wire results in a voltage drop you'll find greater heat resulting from the lower voltage at higher current than you will find at a high voltage, low current system.

I haven't really explained it that well, but a quick peek on wikipedia should fill you in on the details Tongue

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
SwissMiner

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 12:44:19 PM

Even in non-EU states(like Switzerland)!

Never had troubles with Swiss customs. And as a HAM I shouldn't have problems to import hardware without CE sign.

I guess only iANDROID had problems (are you from Germany, living in FR ?)  Grin

Enigma81

Activity: 180

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:17:08 PM

Is rated 6 A.

13v x 6A = 78watts max.

It would get just as warm if it was 6A on either voltage. The resistance would be the same, so the energy lost in the form of heat would be the same. Proportionally you would be losing more at 110v though. Where it gets fun is when you're considering watts (I*V=W). If you're using 220v you only need half as much current as if you're using 110v to get the same number of watts, and because resistance in wire results in a voltage drop you'll find greater heat resulting from the lower voltage at higher current than you will find at a high voltage, low current system.

I haven't really explained it that well, but a quick peek on wikipedia should fill you in on the details Tongue

I was actually just making sure that you were at least remotely qualified to be giving people advise on things electrical.  I'm an EE.  Heat in a cable is I^2*R - voltage has nothing to do with it.. (well, alright, not NOTHING, but very very very little)

Good answer.

Enigma.
PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:45:08 PM

If you think you are going to have customs problems, ask for the miner to be shipped without a power supply and source an approved one locally yourself. This is what Avalon have been doing, and probably why KNCminer are going to ship without a power supply.

They have already been shipping Singles without power supplies for some people,  this is obviously a potential problem, and it would be nice if you helped people with useful suggestions or refrain from posting.

It would be nice if you followed your own advice instead of being a BFL spokespuppet all the time. How about next time you see Josh in the office you mention to him he might want to follow the law instead of dumping mistakes like this in his customers lap.
You make it sound like it was an aborted baby.
k9quaint
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 09:59:11 PM

It would be nice if you followed your own advice instead of being a BFL spokespuppet all the time. How about next time you see Josh in the office you mention to him he might want to follow the law instead of dumping mistakes like this in his customers lap.
You make it sound like it was an aborted baby.
That would be an insult to aborted babies everywhere.  Cheesy

Bitcoin is backed by the full faith and credit of YouTube comments.
Red_Wolf_2

Activity: 252

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:24:25 PM

Is rated 6 A.

13v x 6A = 78watts max.

I was actually just making sure that you were at least remotely qualified to be giving people advise on things electrical.  I'm an EE.  Heat in a cable is I^2*R - voltage has nothing to do with it.. (well, alright, not NOTHING, but very very very little)

Good answer.

Enigma.

Been a long time since I've had to use that set of equations seriously... Last time was building heater cores out of nichrome wire and furnace cement. You're right when it comes to heat being directly connected to current and resistance, the voltage only becomes really important when showing the difference in current between a ~220v and 110v system.
I'll admit I did deliberately simplify and use DC characteristics rather than getting into the fun of AC and varying currents over small time periods, not to mention the wonders of inductive loss (or melted PSU cables from idiots who like coiling them into tight bundles!). Few would recognise the difference and would just go "Oh, MATHS!" and switch their brains off Tongue

Probably should put something here.... Maybe an LTC address?
LeNdJidEvsyogSu2KbC1u3bfJSdcjACFsF
erk

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:37:30 PM

The resistance of copper wire goes up with temperature. 4.9 x 10^-3 is the coefficient.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: