Bitcoin Forum
June 21, 2024, 04:13:34 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Inputs.io Security [Solved]  (Read 890 times)
nimda (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 03:25:30 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2013, 09:03:43 PM by nimda

Passwords hashed with SHA256 before sent to the server - we never know your password
This concerns me slightly. The whole point of a hash is irreversibility once the server is compromised. However, this just uses the sha2 as the password. It's therefore a step forwards in some areas and a step backwards in others, unless the server takes the hash of the hash once received.
tom1

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:05:11 PM

I'm wondering why there isn't an official thread about Inputs.io?

escrow.ms
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1004

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:07:10 PM

Because it's in beta aka testing stage.
tom1

Activity: 130
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 04:29:01 PM

Because it's in beta aka testing stage.
Hmm, it looks like it was released today: https://inputs.io/news#n-2

paroxsitic

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 03:33:08 PM

I have confirmed via HTTP recording they do send just a SHA256 hashed password over the network (with no salt). It would indeed be more secure to salt your pin code you entered in a way that would not be obvious to someone who was sniffing around.

None the less, hashing a password before it's sent in a POST is more secure most non-financial sites.

I can only hope they do some sort of unique salt when storing the password to their database.
MPOE-PR

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:41:14 PM

Passwords hashed with SHA256 before sent to the server - we never know your password
This concerns me slightly. The whole point of a hash is irreversibility once the server is compromised. However, this just uses the sha2 as the password. It's therefore a step forwards in some areas and a step backwards in others, unless the server takes the hash of the hash once received.

There's no real reason to suspect they aren't taking the hash of the hash is there?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 11:57:20 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2013, 12:11:52 AM by TradeFortress

There's no real reason to suspect they aren't taking the hash of the hash is there?

This.

We use bcrypt on the server side, with a user unique salt.
nimda (OP)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

0xFB0D8D1534241423

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 09:03:19 PM

The phrasing of the FAQ had me worried.
We use bcrypt on the server side, with a user unique salt.
That's good, thanks. I'll lock the topic.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: