Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 01:10:05 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is Dead  (Read 7675 times)
fxj

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:21:07 AM

Scrypt doesn't use a massive amount of RAM unless you consider 128KB (yes Kilobytes not Megabytes or Gigabytes) a "massive amount".

Even full strength scrypt doesn't use "massive" amounts just enough that CPU with their significant cache are better optimized than other choices.  The scrypt used in litecoin is significantly crippled.  The low security (realtime) settings for Scrypt recommend by the author are 2^14, 8, 1 and the high security settings 2^20, 8,1.  Litecoin uses 2^10, 1, 1 making it roughly 100x less memory intensive then real time scrypt recommendations and ~8,000x less memory intensive than high security scrypt recommendations.

Thanks for pointing this out. So are you suggesting that scrypt based coins with the current design are - at least in theory - more or less equally susceptible to the ASIC technology as SHA256 coins? And if so, wouldnt it be "easy" to just ramp up the scrypt security settings in order to keep ASICs effectively at bay, or would that cause other complications?
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 10:23:47 AM

Scrypt doesn't use a massive amount of RAM unless you consider 128KB (yes Kilobytes not Megabytes or Gigabytes) a "massive amount".

Even full strength scrypt doesn't use "massive" amounts just enough that CPU with their significant cache are better optimized than other choices.  The scrypt used in litecoin is significantly crippled.  The low security (realtime) settings for Scrypt recommend by the author are 2^14, 8, 1 and the high security settings 2^20, 8,1.  Litecoin uses 2^10, 1, 1 making it roughly 100x less memory intensive then real time scrypt recommendations and ~8,000x less memory intensive than high security scrypt recommendations.

Thanks for pointing this out. So are you suggesting that scrypt based coins with the current design are - at least in theory - more or less equally susceptible to the ASIC technology as SHA256 coins? And if so, wouldnt it be "easy" to just ramp up the scrypt security settings in order to keep ASICs effectively at bay, or would that cause other complications?
Everything is ASICable...
It just requires enough incentive to be profitable

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
fxj

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 11:00:53 AM

Everything is ASICable...
It just requires enough incentive to be profitable

DeathAndTaxes is correct, 128k per thread is not very much as such.

And to answer my follow-up question myself, increasing scrypt security would of course make it more difficult for everyone (i e current mining gear, not only ASICs), so not a good idea if the point is to prolong GPU mining as a feasible alternative.

But returning to the initial claim of this thread (as I interpreted it) - I still wouldn't say that ASICs for BTC and ASICs for scrypt based coins means the same thing. I may need to do the math, but shooting from the hip I don't think that a "scrypt ASIC" could turn things over the way BTC ASICs do, the reason for that view still being the memory intensive processes as per the scrypt design (be it with a downsized version of the security settings).

So it is exactly the improved profitability of a scrypt coin ASIC that I doubt...
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 01:40:16 PM

"Bitcoin is dead" being claimed is a sign of life given it is still being discussed.

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 04:47:55 PM

Even full strength scrypt doesn't use "massive" amounts just enough that CPU with their significant cache are better optimized than other choices.  The scrypt used in litecoin is significantly crippled.  The low security (realtime) settings for Scrypt recommend by the author are 2^14, 8, 1 and the high security settings 2^20, 8,1.  Litecoin uses 2^10, 1, 1 making it roughly 100x less memory intensive then real time scrypt recommendations and ~8,000x less memory intensive than high security scrypt recommendations.

ASICs to execute Scrypt POW will be higher cost both in terms of $ and energy thus the performance gains will be lower than the difference between GPU and ASICs executing SHA-256.  It is unlikely you can just "ramp up" the paremters of the POW as that would be a hard fork.  For example someone could hard fork Bitcoin at a certain block and require Scrypt to be used for all future blocks.  It is just a change of a dozen or so lines of code.  Technically it is a trivial change.  Getting a consensus to agree to it sufficient to kill off the original fork is a whole different story.
clogic555

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 12:52:43 AM

I think ASIC miners will have an effect on the Bitcoin economy just not sure if it will be bad or just like the move from CPU's to GPU's. I do think that alt coins such as Litecoin will play a part in the future of crypto-currency.

At the end of the day this is one massive experiment and is still too young to predict what will happen, anyone that says that they know is a liar.

We should be trying to think about what we do know and how that could effect Bitcoin, like the future of the internet. Cisco predicts that around 50 billion devices will be connected to the internet by 2020 (over the around 8.7 billion of 2013). This will help Bitcoin/crypto-currency's get into mainstream because billions of people will be using the internet for purchasing products/services and with such a large number of people using the internet, digital currency would look more attractive to mainstream users/business owners to use over conventional USD because of low transaction fee's, anonymity etc (especially with LTC faster transaction times) .

Bottom line is if the internet is going to get as big as Cisco predicts it is then I see a bright future for crypto-currencies in general.
morapick013

Activity: 21

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 12:57:08 AM

lol your wrong on so many things.
jnagyjr

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

Psalm 15

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 01:13:17 AM

do you have anything to back up your assertion? "lol your wrong on so many things" just doesn't cut it.

Proverbs 12:1
clogic555

Activity: 15

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:15:21 AM
Last edit: July 09, 2013, 01:53:14 AM by clogic555

I'm not trying to say I'm right, I'm simply giving my opinion. Are you saying that the rapid expansion of the internet will not help mainstream use of digital currency's?

As every decade passes more people are using the internet and the more digital this world is becoming. I guess one thing that would help is making it as easy as possible to buy Bitcoins/Alt currencies for computer illiterate people that just want to buy them and spend them on products.

It would be more useful explaining to me why you think I'm wrong so everyone can read instead of just telling me I am.
DrHaribo
Legendary

Activity: 2730
Merit: 1034

Needs more jiggawatts

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 01:20:34 AM

Bitcoin is dead? I wish someone had told me sooner.

▶▶▶ bitminter.com 2011-2020 ▶▶▶ pool.xbtodigital.io 2023-
freedomno1
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090

Learning the troll avoidance button :)

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 04:31:14 AM

He-he imagines a Satoshi revival XD

Believing in Bitcoins and it's ability to change the world
Gary Gigax

Activity: 14

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 04:36:10 AM

He-he imagines a Satoshi revival XD

have you seen h.i.m.? =) jedicoin coming soon!!! LOL
dubiousfrog

Activity: 181
Merit: 100

optical illusion

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 08:35:50 AM

A drop in price is neither positive or negative, it is just what it is. Also to say that the price has "dropped" is interesting when at one point Bitcoins were valued at 50 cents.

Perspective...

namu amida butsu
pallokala

Activity: 13

View Profile WWW
July 09, 2013, 09:02:25 AM

Well mining is not the only thing about Bitcoin. * I've even hear rumors on the internets that it's anonymous currency. *ENDSARCASM*
BitCoinBD

Activity: 1

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 09:04:01 AM

Totally agree with you.
antihero_929

Activity: 2

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 12:56:28 PM

the fact that bitcoin can rely on asics is an advantage; asics have high per watt processing power which dramatically lowers the cost of maintaing the bitcoin network. In two identical economies which used either bitcoins or litecoins, the bitcoin network would consume a much smaller fraction of the economy to maintain
ILoveCrypto

Activity: 16

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 03:42:53 PM

It's not dead yet. It's stable at $60 to $70 and taking some rest. After 7 days rest it will start climbing again.
fumble

Activity: 35

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 06:41:55 PM

I agree but its not dead yet.  ASICMINER is in it for the money.  They do not care about bitcoin's future. Otherwise they should NOT be mining and just sell hardware.  They could limit the amount of GHs per order so 1 person cant order several THs.  This would at least slow down the centralization somewhat.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 11:57:08 PM
Last edit: July 10, 2013, 12:23:29 AM by DeathAndTaxes

I agree but its not dead yet.  ASICMINER is in it for the money.  They do not care about bitcoin's future. Otherwise they should NOT be mining and just sell hardware.  They could limit the amount of GHs per order so 1 person cant order several THs.  This would at least slow down the centralization somewhat.

Bitcoin doesn't need ASICMiner to "care about Bitcoin's future".  Can you imagine how horribly fragile (and ultimately doomed to failure) a system would be if it required all actors to be altruistic?  Bitcoin just needs ASICMiner to be economically rational and as a for profit venture it is.
jnagyjr

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

Psalm 15

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 03:32:35 AM

I agree but its not dead yet.  ASICMINER is in it for the money.  They do not care about bitcoin's future. Otherwise they should NOT be mining and just sell hardware.  They could limit the amount of GHs per order so 1 person cant order several THs.  This would at least slow down the centralization somewhat.

Bitcoin doesn't need ASICMiner to "care about Bitcoin's future".  Can you imagine how horribly fragile (and ultimately doomed to failure) a system would be if it required all actors to be altruistic?  Bitcoin just needs ASICMiner to be economically rational and as a for profit venture it is.

Completely 100% agree.

Proverbs 12:1
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: