Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 12:20:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: help setting up dual 6870 miner.  (Read 3344 times)
5stringer (OP)

Activity: 185
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 02, 2013, 08:56:34 PM

I recently acquired two 6870s. The mobo I'm using is a MSI with two PCIe 2.0 x 16s.

I cant seem to get either of them to be recognized via my miners (program)

Any help would be appreciated.

Both cards work in separate rigs and mine but not so much on this purposely built rig. ( No CF. )

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks like Napster, but pure P2P networks like Gnutella and Tor seem to be holding their own." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 02:36:26 AM

Have you installed the latest AMD drivers? Are they both plugged into monitors? For Windows to recognize them they both need to be plugged in, or have "dummy plugs".
5stringer (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 02:55:16 AM

Have you installed the latest AMD drivers? Are they both plugged into monitors? For Windows to recognize them they both need to be plugged in, or have "dummy plugs".

Yesir. It has me stumped. both cards work in my gaming rig (individually) but when put in a dedicated system built for mining, GUIminer says verification failed 0-0 and/or 0-1.

I'm tempted to set up a linux miner but I'm not sure as to how hard that would be or just give the rig a fresh OS install and go from there.
guitarplinker
Legendary

Activity: 1694
Merit: 1024

View Profile WWW
July 04, 2013, 03:41:05 PM

They aren't in crossfire mode are they? That might mess with CGMiner.
asically

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:41:52 PM

Disable ULPS.
Trillium

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 04:42:28 PM

I keep hearing this over and over and over again, but in a simple setup like this it is no longer required since a long passed driver update, I don't recall the exact revision but I think it was pre-12.1

There is nothing plugged into 2 of the 3 graphics cards in my system and I operate cgminer just fiiiine.

6870 --> two duplicated DVI->HDMI outputs
5970 nothing connected
5750 nothing connected *sometimes a HDMI to my TV for when my esteemed motherboard decides this card should randomly be the primary display device while showing the boot process  Roll Eyes

OP, can you see both cards if you load something like GPU-Z ??

BTC:1AaaAAAAaAAE2L1PXM1x9VDNqvcrfa9He6
5stringer (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:37:33 PM

Disable ULPS.

have.
5stringer (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 07:37:54 PM

They aren't in crossfire mode are they? That might mess with CGMiner.

negative.
5stringer (OP)

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:01:21 PM

I keep hearing this over and over and over again, but in a simple setup like this it is no longer required since a long passed driver update, I don't recall the exact revision but I think it was pre-12.1

There is nothing plugged into 2 of the 3 graphics cards in my system and I operate cgminer just fiiiine.

6870 --> two duplicated DVI->HDMI outputs
5970 nothing connected
5750 nothing connected *sometimes a HDMI to my TV for when my esteemed motherboard decides this card should randomly be the primary display device while showing the boot process  Roll Eyes

OP, can you see both cards if you load something like GPU-Z ??

Yes i can see both 6870s in GPU-Z.
Trillium

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:03:48 AM

OP can you download cgminer and then just run the .exe and follow the prompts to add a pool URL and worker details and see what devices it finds? It's possible it will give you the same error as guiminer but it's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work I think you might actually have some kind of a problem with your AMD driver install or perhaps your BIOS is not up to date. 3 things you can look into!

Also I have been making these comments under the assumption that you are running the cards at their stock settings (core/mem frequency and voltage) be sure to revert to stock if you've been changing them.

5stringer (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 09:55:59 PM

OP can you download cgminer and then just run the .exe and follow the prompts to add a pool URL and worker details and see what devices it finds? It's possible it will give you the same error as guiminer but it's worth a shot.

If that doesn't work I think you might actually have some kind of a problem with your AMD driver install or perhaps your BIOS is not up to date. 3 things you can look into!

Also I have been making these comments under the assumption that you are running the cards at their stock settings (core/mem frequency and voltage) be sure to revert to stock if you've been changing them.

after entering all thee needed info, cgminer.exe has stopped working. I have updated the BIOS, and I've uninstalled my drivers and got the most recent for them. ( 13.4 i think )

yes these are being run at stock speeds ( via catalysy, no load, 300/300. " in High-performance mode. " 900/1050
Zanatos666

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

Sometimes man, just sometimes.....

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 10:00:38 PM

after entering all thee needed info, cgminer.exe has stopped working. I have updated the BIOS, and I've uninstalled my drivers and got the most recent for them. ( 13.4 i think )

yes these are being run at stock speeds ( via catalysy, no load, 300/300. " in High-performance mode. " 900/1050

Try older drivers, something in the 12.x series.  I know my 5800 series cards dont do well with anything higher than 11.12 drivers.

Squiggly letters, written really fast, with a couple of dots for good measure.
Trillium

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 10:51:48 PM

Yeah try 12.8 I have heard of issues with some peoples hardware and the 13.x drivers. Use a 3rd party driver cleaner to remove leftover files after uninstall. Atiman Uninstaller has worked for me in the past.

5stringer (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:14:54 PM

Try older drivers, something in the 12.x series.  I know my 5800 series cards dont do well with anything higher than 11.12 drivers.

every driver for catalyst has quit working upon install. Curious if it would be easier to use linux?
Trillium

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:27:51 PM

every driver for catalyst has quit working upon install.

This is common and why I suggested the 3rd party driver uninstaller: it will remove all versions of all ATI/AMD software and files.

5stringer (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 11:41:41 PM

This is common and why I suggested the 3rd party driver uninstaller: it will remove all versions of all ATI/AMD software and files.

in the process of finding now.
5stringer (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 12:17:23 AM

Still nothing. Even after the 3rd part uninstaller. 12.8 crashes as well.
Trillium

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 02:12:43 AM

Well this is starting to get a bit annoying isn't it. Can you install windows to another boot device and try a fresh windows install + fresh driver install. Got a spare HDD laying around? Alternatively you could try a linux based miner though I do not have much experience with those and probably can't recommend one to you.

Other than software the only thing I can think of in terms of hardware might be a problem with the second PCI-e slot or motherboard in general, have you ever tested the system with just one card installed: in the second slot? (ie. remove the 'first' card that is probably running your display output).

As far as I can tell one of two things is happening: either you have some kind of corrupt install or problem(s) with the software environment that is causing the installer to crash, or, the installer is crashing as it tries to detect the hardware, which may have a problem, causing it to crash. Either way I hope the suggestions above can help.

5stringer (OP)

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 02:29:55 AM

Well this is starting to get a bit annoying isn't it. Can you install windows to another boot device and try a fresh windows install + fresh driver install. Got a spare HDD laying around? Alternatively you could try a linux based miner though I do not have much experience with those and probably can't recommend one to you.

Other than software the only thing I can think of in terms of hardware might be a problem with the second PCI-e slot or motherboard in general, have you ever tested the system with just one card installed: in the second slot? (ie. remove the 'first' card that is probably running your display output).

As far as I can tell one of two things is happening: either you have some kind of corrupt install or problem(s) with the software environment that is causing the installer to crash, or, the installer is crashing as it tries to detect the hardware, which may have a problem, causing it to crash. Either way I hope the suggestions above can help.

More annoying than you can imagine. I'm about to try a fresh install. Maybe win7 again or anything recommended?
Trillium

View Profile
July 06, 2013, 03:05:03 AM

Win 7 should be fine unless you have some personal preference why you don't want to use it. I sure as hell would take it over Vista or W8! But that is another discussion entirely  Shocked

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: