Bitcoin Forum
May 22, 2024, 10:57:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Trading Strategies & Hold Time  (Read 219 times)
dgein (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 01:40:06 AM

n00b looking for a little bit of strategy advice.

- the altcoin prices seem to fluctuate wildly. what is a fair percentage increase to aim for before cashing out? 20%? 50%?
- is it realistic to invest in a coin, see a swing +20%, and cash out in the same day? or are these patterns only because of the wild increase in bitcoin, allowing more investors to pump more money into the altcoin market currently?
- before this current boom, how stable were altcoins generally?
- is anything outside of the "Top 10" worthwhile looking at seriously?
- are you better off trying to read/predict mathematical trends and patterns in the graphs, or choosing where to invest via their websites/whitepapers?
- are there many altcoins involved with major "mainstream" companies - ie. banking or online shopping businesses with a track record of success?
- what is a "safe" market cap to look for? have there been many examples of large market cap companies vanishing?

hopefully this isn't too many questions. trying to get my head around my strategy before i start throwing money around.

appreciate any advice.
pikatju

Activity: 336
Merit: 100

https://wallet.merit.me/?invite=Pikachu

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 01:51:39 AM

Yes a coin can easily swing 20%. But are you gonna be awake watching it 24/7? Is the coin gonna swing in your favour? Are you gonna be kicking yourself for selling at 20% when the coin later went 100%?

Try and make a trading strategy for yourself that follows your life and engagement. For 95% of people this should be buy coins that you believe in and hold for long term.
If you want to day trade or swing trade, make sure to make strict rules for your self and never invest more than 5% per trade. Good luck

grchina

Activity: 476
Merit: 278

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 02:06:33 AM

i would stick with long term hodl unless you know how to trade Grin
shandi albert

Activity: 308
Merit: 101

FXPay.io

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 02:28:36 AM

i would stick with long term hodl unless you know how to trade Grin
Holding is one strategy too,, Wink

There are only two things that can happen in trading cryptocurrency, between it up or down. Trading the altcoin market is arguably less efficient for now, but it has plenty of opportunities to bring in big profits if you want to invest more time for more in-depth research.

kaya11

Activity: 1302
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 02:44:55 AM

- the altcoin prices seem to fluctuate wildly. what is a fair percentage increase to aim for before cashing out? 20%? 50%?
- is it realistic to invest in a coin, see a swing +20%, and cash out in the same day? or are these patterns only because of the wild increase in bitcoin, allowing more investors to pump more money into the altcoin market currently?
- are you better off trying to read/predict mathematical trends and patterns in the graphs, or choosing where to invest via their websites/whitepapers?
- are there many altcoins involved with major "mainstream" companies - ie. banking or online shopping businesses with a track record of success?
- what is a "safe" market cap to look for? have there been many examples of large market cap companies vanishing?

hopefully this isn't too many questions. trying to get my head around my strategy before i start throwing money around.

appreciate any advice.
The altcoin markets are driven by whales, same as the one who put hundreds of Bitcoin blocks and waiting for us to commit mistakes. Sometimes it is better to do nothing rather than exposing your coins. Then if you are really in to trading you should atlleast set target and stops. Set a clear target where you can earn bits and don't be greedy, more importantly if it's about about to stop then don't be afraid to lose, it's wise to stop rather than losing it all.
Altcoins has inverse relationships with Bitcoin. Most altcoins are traded according to bitcoin's value, if BTC rises then altcoins loses its bitcoin value so it's better to stop trading or do nothing at all.
The coins that have a higher daily trading volume and which have a widespread community behind them, with continuous development when choosing at top 10 coins. When a coin development will be published along with the media, then stay tuned as it will pump and make a good profit. there are lots of strategies and I hope this might help you.
woas4

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 02:49:17 AM

If you consider yourself a 'noob' in daytrading and crypto in general, don't try your hand at daytrading so quickly (and expecting 20% daily gains on top of that). You'll end up getting burned and with less coins than what you started with.

Daytrading is hard and there are lots of whales out there manipulating the prices and using trading bots - its really hard to compete against those on your own.

dgein (OP)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 05:21:25 AM

Thanks for the advice, appreciate your replies.
illnino

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 06:48:21 PM

It is better to hold your altcoins till the moment when you start to understand the scheme how and when their ups and downs happen. It will be nice if you have your own graphs of all alts and update it twice a day at least. And yes, there are cryptos not from the top that are worth paying attention at — ADA for instance.
Jayjay04
Legendary

Activity: 1364
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 07:19:39 PM

Hold !
Faucet - Freecoins !!!

▄▄▄
                   █████
             ▄▄▄    ▀▀▀       ▄▄████╕
            █████          ▄▄███████▌
     ▄▄▄     ▀▀▀        ╓████████▀▀
    █████               ██████▀▀       ▄███▄
     ▀▀▀        ▄███▄    ▀▀▀           ▀███▀
                ▀███▀        ▄▄████╕
       ▁▄▄███▄           ▄▄████████▌
   ▁▄▆████████       ▄▄█████████▀▀       ▄███▄
 ▄█████████▀▔    ▄▄█████████▀▀           ▀███▀
▐██████▀▀▔   ,▄█████████▀▀        ▄▄▄
 ▔▀▀▀▔    ▄▄████████▀▀           █████
      ▄▄████████▀▀       ▄▄██▄    ▀▀▀
   ▄█████████▀       ▄▄███████▌       ▄▄▄
  ▐██████▀▀      ▄▄█████████▀▔       █████
   `▀▀▀      ▂▄█████████▀▀    ,▄▄µ    ▀▀▀
          ▂▆████████▀▀    ,▄██████▌
          ██████▀▀     ▄█████████▀
           ▔▀▀        ███████▀"
                      "▀▀▀╙
Hello!
STAKER
.The Next Proof-of-Stake.
KSmart Contract Tokene.

btcone111

Activity: 266
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 07:36:16 PM

appreciate any advice.

IMHO, altcoins are definitely riskier than BTC. To buy into an altcoin, I personally would first at least understand the fundametals and tech behind the altcoin. Also I'd have to understand how the market views the altcoin - because altcoin is heavily driven by spec capital / sentiment...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: