Bitcoin Forum
May 13, 2024, 10:20:03 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USD You Would pay for 1 GH/s Right Now  (Read 9594 times)
lucasjkr

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:03:45 AM

This question really should be phrased as "BTC you would pay for 1 GH/s right now" because miners return bitcoins, not us dollars.

Since this thread has been posted the exchange has dropped by 30% maybe the first part of this thread completely useless.

Those who would pay $100 for 1 GH/s before would only pay $75 now.

I wouldn't pay more than 1 2/3 BTC per GH/s right now. Break even point is probably a bit higher, maybe 2 BTC per GH/s

That makes a 80GH/s Avalon worth about 133 BTC, and a 5 GH/s Jalapeno worth about 8.33 BTC

That comes out to be about $115/GH/s at present exchange rates.

Miners return bitcoins, but they cost dollars to acquire. So trying to project returns based on dollars is completely reasonable. Even for miners that you can purchase for bitcoin, you also have opportunity to sell those bitcoins for dollars, so you have to compare to dollars. Well, you don't have to. But being that the works still runs on fiat, I'd think it'd be crazy to omit that part.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 01:33:31 PM
Last edit: July 30, 2013, 04:16:10 PM by Xian01

Considering what ASICMiner has on the horizon, I am willing to pay exactly 30 American Dollars for 1gH/s right now.

EDIT: Alluding to the rumor that AM repeat Erupter USB customers able to purchase addition units at 0.1BTC.
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4312
Merit: 3214

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 03:20:13 PM

Considering what ASICMiner has on the horizon, I am willing to pay exactly 30 American Dollars for 1gH/s right now.

I would like to see how you came up with that value. ASICMiner could be planning on shipping 100 TH/s machines in a year and 1 GH/s right now would still be worth a lot more than $30. For example, If the difficulty were to increase by 50% every two weeks forever, 1 GH/s would still be worth about $67 right now.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
lucasjkr

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 04:44:15 PM

People have seen their GPUs get devalued so quickly as of late that they're extending it to everything else. I briefly owned a jalapeño (sold on eBay), but before selling in eBay, I first talked to a few people on here that we're expressing interest. Granted the eBay buyer likely overpaid, but the offers I got from "serious" buyers on here were laughable. They acted like network difficulty was going to raise 10x in the next month or two!

But then there are so many different opinions. USB block eruptors for instance. Even at their new lower prices, that there are so many buyers, it's baffling. You see people boasting abou buying 10 or more, and I'm thinking that's $600 for 3300 mh. Or you could go on a limb and order a jalapeño. Spend 550 for 10 gh. True it'll be probably two months to receive, but they are actually shipping - I'm thinking that to have 3000 mh in hand today is still far less valuable than to have 10000 mh in hand in October. The couple month lead time from instant delivery doesn't make up for the incredibly high dollars per hash they provide.

Slight ramble. Sorry
WastedLTC

Activity: 776
Merit: 536

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 05:18:18 PM

I would like to see how you came up with that value. ASICMiner could be planning on shipping 100 TH/s machines in a year and 1 GH/s right now would still be worth a lot more than $30. For example, If the difficulty were to increase by 50% every two weeks forever, 1 GH/s would still be worth about $67 right now.

I agree with $30 per gigahash (today).   Next month it will be worth $20 since KNC is priced around $20 and will be shipping which will make that the current price per GH.  I would pay a 50% premium ($30 today compared to $20 next month) for a miner today.

I'm basing the price per GH based on the price of the units for sale today.   BFL set thier prices to $50 (per gh) and Avalon was around $100.   They could dictate price but that will change soon with the new ASIC companies like KNC on target to release at a price under $20 per gh.

The USB stick is the most expensive price per gh EVER.... 

here is a full comparison.  http://minr.info/

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 06:59:26 PM

Or you could go on a limb and order a jalapeño. Spend 550 for 10 gh. True it'll be probably two months to receive, but they are actually shipping

Do you honestly believe they are going to resolve their entire pre-order backlog in less than two months ?

Remember, they did state that by the end of September, they should be all caught up  (paraphrasing their COO's statement a couple weeks prior that they are looking to be finished in two months).
lucasjkr

View Profile
July 30, 2013, 07:53:03 PM

Or you could go on a limb and order a jalapeño. Spend 550 for 10 gh. True it'll be probably two months to receive, but they are actually shipping

Do you honestly believe they are going to resolve their entire pre-order backlog in less than two months ?

Remember, they did state that by the end of September, they should be all caught up  (paraphrasing their COO's statement a couple weeks prior that they are looking to be finished in two months).

Watching their shipping updates go by, yes, I think that they'll get through their Jalapeno queue in the next couple of months for certain. The rest of the queue(singles, minirigs, etc?) Probably not. So i guess the question is, when they reach then end of their jalapeno queue, will they let those orders pill up while they're shipping their older orders? I know the answer most people here will say, but who knows?

(Of course i went to go look jsut now, and yesterday the apaprently shipped no jalapenos.)

So yes, despite the outpouring of outrage at them, they actaully do seem to be making progress, especially at the lower end of their product range.
Kinetic915

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 04:02:57 PM

thanks for that site!

odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
July 31, 2013, 05:47:29 PM

I agree with $30 per gigahash (today).   Next month it will be worth $20 since KNC is priced around $20 and will be shipping which will make that the current price per GH.  I would pay a 50% premium ($30 today compared to $20 next month) for a miner today.
here is a full comparison.  http://minr.info/

Thanks for that link. What I think is most important about the information is that nearly all of the entries say "Not shipping, no working product seen."

As I wrote before, all the expectations for ASIC miners so far have been wildly optimistic and innaccurate, and I don't think the situation will improve. It is unlikely that KNC will be shipping hardware next month for $20 per GH/s, and it is a bad idea to base your value on them meeting their goals. I also wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those companies is really a scam.

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
WastedLTC

Activity: 776
Merit: 536

View Profile
August 01, 2013, 02:19:58 PM

I agree with $30 per gigahash (today).   Next month it will be worth $20 since KNC is priced around $20 and will be shipping which will make that the current price per GH.  I would pay a 50% premium ($30 today compared to $20 next month) for a miner today.
here is a full comparison.  http://minr.info/

Thanks for that link. What I think is most important about the information is that nearly all of the entries say "Not shipping, no working product seen."

As I wrote before, all the expectations for ASIC miners so far have been wildly optimistic and innaccurate, and I don't think the situation will improve. It is unlikely that KNC will be shipping hardware next month for $20 per GH/s, and it is a bad idea to base your value on them meeting their goals. I also wouldn't be surprised if at least one of those companies is really a scam.

KNC posted that they are still on target for a september release.  This is the first group to offer ASICs produced by a company with history.  ORSoC has been doing this for 10 years with projects much more complicated than BTC hashing.   (It is only a month away so we don't have to wait long to see if they deliver)

Labcoin just released IPO shares but I highly doubt they can deliver so quickly considering they are just getting into the game.  (http://www.labcoin.com/)  It appears that they have some experience.

Next month is going to be a major milestone for BTC.  So many companies releasing miners,  it will be interesting to see which ones arrive.  Any high powered ASIC with mass distribution will crush competition.  Up til now, no company has delivered to the masses.  Everything has been in small batches.  The USB sticks were done but I just don't count that due to the high price and low hash rate.

Keep an eye on BitFury, KNC, LabCoin, and companies using the Avalon chips.   The Avalon chips suck up power but they have so many chips being shipped, it will make a serious dent in what 1GH/s is worth.

CrashX

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 05:11:14 AM

If I would pay 500$ for a 5GH/s, you can guess what I would pay for 1 GH/s.  Tongue

#fail

Mining game is over. The people who won were Avalon Batch 1-2. The people who are enjoying some success are those who are receiving BFLs now. The ones who ordered 2012 BFL's and Avalon batch 3 will see some profit. Anyone ordering mining equipment now is throwing money down the toilette.

You want to make money with bitcoin, find a way to be part of the economy of bitcoin. Make, create, sell, service etc. for bitcoin.

The only way a miner getting in the game now will make a return on their investment would be if Bitcoin saw a very solid steady rise in price. That's not happening as you can see anytime soon.

Agree...

I did however purchase an Erupter, which gives me around 336 Mhps, which in month and half I should get what I pay for the device. Then afterword's will pure profits.

I don't mine it, being that I have my computer 24/7 online and im getting power direct from the usb.

But I did the math and its the only option is going with ASIC and the cheap ones.
forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
August 02, 2013, 08:47:09 PM

Agree...

I did however purchase an Erupter, which gives me around 336 Mhps, which in month and half I should get what I pay for the device. Then afterword's will pure profits.

I don't mine it, being that I have my computer 24/7 online and im getting power direct from the usb.

But I did the math and its the only option is going with ASIC and the cheap ones.

Funny you agree on everything he says.
But in the next sentence you contradict everything he just said by explaining how mining is profitable.
You bought an Erupter and you expect profit in a month and half. How can mining not be profitable then?

tacoman71

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 07:29:49 PM

I'd pay somewhere around what xcrowd is going to charge, around $12-$15 per Gh

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 08:34:53 PM

It depends on when you started mining and what you paid for the miner, but most people that bought the USB miners will never make a profit in BTC.  And even if they make a profit in $, it would have been more profitable if they just bought the BTC outright, instead of mining it.

forevernoob

Activity: 687

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 09:26:25 PM

It depends on when you started mining and what you paid for the miner, but most people that bought the USB miners will never make a profit in BTC.  And even if they make a profit in $, it would have been more profitable if they just bought the BTC outright, instead of mining it.

You mean to say that if they bought the miners at 2BTC a piece, they will never get that back by using the miners?

aoshea

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 10:43:12 PM

As far as erupters go they need to come down to around $15-$25 usd for me to jump in.

If someone payed 1btc for an erupter it would take 270 days to break even assuming a conservative diff increase of 5% a month. With a 10% increase it will take 1 year to break even in btc.

So this isn't really anything I can order ATM, i have a few Jupiter shares that I payed $30 for 1.2gh, but who knows if that will make sense 6 months from now  Huh

I sell Bhut Jolokia "Ghost" Chili seeds and other hot pepper seeds for BTC. PM me for details.
nameface

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 06, 2013, 11:02:10 PM

DO NOT INVEST IN MINING ! You are sure to loose money, the game is indeed over...
Reminds me of what everyone was saying back in 2011.
Reminds me of what everyone was saying back in 2012.
odolvlobo
Legendary

View Profile
August 07, 2013, 12:23:43 AM

It depends on when you started mining and what you paid for the miner, but most people that bought the USB miners will never make a profit in BTC.  And even if they make a profit in $, it would have been more profitable if they just bought the BTC outright, instead of mining it.
You mean to say that if they bought the miners at 2BTC a piece, they will never get that back by using the miners?

It depends on how much the difficulty rises, but it is unlikely that any USB Erupter will ever mine 2 BTC or even 1 BTC. If the difficulty continues to rise at 20% per period for the next few months, then it is unlikely that miners starting today will ever mine even 0.5 BTC.

On the other hand, there is always a chance that the the difficulty will to fall below what it is now...

Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: