Bitcoin Forum
May 26, 2024, 07:59:56 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BitCoin is NOT a Currency  (Read 1152 times)
Welsh
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3276
Merit: 4111

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:14:40 PM

The value of Bitcoins doesn't make it a currency or not. If it's used to exchange goods/services etc then it's a currency. If it's worth $0.60 it's still a currency. If it rises by 100% then it's still a currency. As long as it's still being used to buy things. I think you need to look over the term "Currency".
tacoman71

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:16:56 PM

BitCoin is NOT a currency. Any business is rolling the dice accepting BitCoin with how volatile the price is. With how rapid the price swings (mostly down), no logical business would/should accept BitCoin. No different than gambling. To my knowledge my dollar last week is still a dollar today, not true with BitCoin, you would have taken a hefty loss this week only!
Here's the Webster's dictionary definition:
a : circulation as a medium of exchange
b : general use, acceptance, or prevalence

Let me also give a list of stuff that was once used as currency (sometimes they still are used in parts of the world)
1. Gold
2. Furrs
3. Tobacco
4. Salt
5. Gemstones.
Have the value of these items stayed the same? No! Are these backed by a country or a central bank? No! Why are you even on this forum? GTFO! And look at your username! Do you even know how bitcoin even works on a basic level?

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
bassjoe

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 08:25:01 PM

BitCoin is NOT a currency. Any business is rolling the dice accepting BitCoin with how volatile the price is. With how rapid the price swings (mostly down), no logical business would/should accept BitCoin. No different than gambling. To my knowledge my dollar last week is still a dollar today, not true with BitCoin, you would have taken a hefty loss this week only!

Your dollar is not actually the same dollar it was yesterday. It depreciated slightly in value (in fact, the major reason the Federal Reserve exists is to depreciate the value of the dollar in a stable way). In a year, most likely, your dollar won't be able to purchase the same amount of goods as it does today.

What you pointed out just means the dollar is merely more stable than bitcoin over the past few years. That may continue to be true tomorrow, next month or next year. Or it may not.
meekstav876

Activity: 28

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:00:33 PM

If Bitcoin is not a currency, what is it?

Mike Christ
aka snapsunny
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003

View Profile
July 04, 2013, 10:14:18 PM

A good way to destroy a processor at that point.

tacoman71

Activity: 320
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:08:43 AM

Most of the naysayers say that its just a commodity. Well, gold is a commodity, yet almost all the powerful ancient empires used it as a currency.

Feeling generous? Like my post? Leave a tip at BTC: 1NZJ8cceqEiKDZGAJged2vNGCyfFMUEYPt
Denver$

Activity: 9

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:00:57 AM

hockey cards is a currency
Xiphias

Activity: 6

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:07:09 AM

hockey cards is a currency

Hm... I wonder if that definition needs a clause saying it can't be used only to trade with itself, it must be used as a medium of exchange for multiple types of goods :p
gollygosh

Activity: 160
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 04:28:54 AM

All currency is faith based - including BTC - if the market gives up believing something has value, then guess what... this goes for anything inc fiat currency.

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: