Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 03:43:00 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Arbitrage  (Read 1310 times)
bskousen (OP)

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 09:46:40 PM

So I see a lot of price discrepancies as I look at coins. I was wondering if arbitrage is effective and what coins to look for that offer the best results. For example, I bought a bunch of BTG for $74 and then later sold it when it hit bittrex for more than $300. Also, is this even legal?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
illyiller

Activity: 697
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 01, 2017, 10:07:54 PM

So I see a lot of price discrepancies as I look at coins. I was wondering if arbitrage is effective and what coins to look for that offer the best results. For example, I bought a bunch of BTG for $74 and then later sold it when it hit bittrex for more than $300. Also, is this even legal?

Sure, it's legal. You're just taking advantage of inefficient markets, and profiting from a currency price differential.

These days, there isn't much money to be made in manual cross-exchange arbitrage because of the proliferation of arbitrage bots. You can't trade faster than the bots, who have liquidity on multiple exchanges and are constantly re-balancing accounts based on arbitrage opportunity.

The exception is situations like the Bgold launch: a very new, illiquid market where arbitrage bots aren't operating yet. When supply on the exchange is so low (because people need to manually log in, possibly deposit BTG and start listing BTG asks), it can get pumped very fast. That's why it went above $400 the day it launched on Bittrex.
CryptoMoonDevil

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 05:16:30 AM

I was only able to effectively do this twice. Once with $BTG and once wih $DASH. $BTG was much more profitable, but I made out pretty well wih $DASH as well.

DeepOnion ⚡ Anonymous & Untraceable Cryptocurrency
⚡ Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! ⚡ (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1363163)
bskousen (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 12:55:17 AM

I was only able to effectively do this twice. Once with $BTG and once wih $DASH. $BTG was much more profitable, but I made out pretty well wih $DASH as well.

Nice! $DASH looks like a good one. I am new to all this, its literally my first day. Do you recommend buying DASH?
CryptoMoonDevil

Activity: 61
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:02:55 AM

only if it falls 200% in the near future otherwise you missed the boat.

DeepOnion ⚡ Anonymous & Untraceable Cryptocurrency
⚡ Join DeepOnion Airdrop NOW! ⚡ (https://deeponion.org/apply.php?ref=1363163)
sugihe

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:09:59 AM

Arbitrage strategy is legal to do in every crypto currency exchange.
Arbitrage is good strategy with almost 80% till 90% we close the transaction with profit.
And the only problem is when you send any coin and it need long time to confirm the transaction and during the time, you will stay in loss if the price down.
bskousen (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:36:07 AM

Arbitrage is good strategy with almost 80% till 90% we close the transaction with profit.
And the only problem is when you send any coin and it need long time to confirm the transaction and during the time, you will stay in loss if the price down.

Ah, didn't think about the confirmations. So, are there better coins to do this with? I'm assuming bitcoin would be a bad choice.
Imfinnabeon

Activity: 238
Merit: 101

Decentralize The $15-Trillion Global Trade Industr

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 01:49:32 AM

Ah, didn't think about the confirmations. So, are there better coins to do this with? I'm assuming bitcoin would be a bad choice.

Bitcoin would probably be the worst because it is the biggest coin out there. I would try coins that have decent volume but are on smaller exchanges. The bots are more likely to be on the bigger exchanges and have more capital but the smaller exchanges you probably have a small chance still. The few times that I manually tried this the confirmations were enough to screw me over so if you are considering it have funds on both exchanges before otherwise it won't work at all.

Kloug

Activity: 140
Merit: 20

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 04:19:59 AM

There's actually arbitrage to do on BTC which is constantly higher on GDAX, especially in EUR, and these last days, generally 300eur above other exchanges (sure, it's only 3 or 4%, but it's easily done).

+ it looks like the 10k wall on GDAX is smaller, so it's quite likely that the 10keur barrier will be broken first on GDAX, while on other exchanges it will still be struggling. That will probably last for way more than the time it takes to transfer a BTC.
Probably enough people are waiting for that, though.

I'd do it if I could register GDAX, and if I wanted to bother with slow SEPA transfers afterwards.
feelideb

Activity: 770

fLibero.financial

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 04:49:58 AM

Arbitrage is cool and is completely legal. There will always ve arbitrage opportunities across market. The market participants can not ve same on every platform. The dynamic of demand and supply create this arbitrage opportunity and it will always be like that.

richcorner100

Activity: 616
Merit: 100

https://exip.live/

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 10:18:08 AM

Arbitrage is good strategy to make profit and this is sure legal, just more active to go to many exchange to find different price. Arbiratge also has less risk because we doing  buy and sell with short time.

EXIP PROJECT
A Decentralized Domain & Top-level domain service where your domain and TLD identified by a NFT
────────  Whitepaper ⬝  Twitter ⬝  Telegram⬝   Facebook ⬝  Medium    ─────── 
layoutph

Activity: 1386
Merit: 255

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2017, 10:35:20 AM

Arbitrage is very rewarding if you are using a bot with fast connection. But it's so hard to do it manually,  you might also lose the trade between exchange site to exchange site.

pedrog
Legendary

Activity: 2786
Merit: 1031

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 10:45:29 AM

I don't believe you can move coins fast enough to beat volatility, even if you can move coins fast enough you cannot move fiat fast enough to do arbitrage safely.

I noticed lately there's a big difference in price in GDAX and Bitstamp, anyone doing arbitrage successfully between these two exchanges?

Kloug

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 03:39:22 PM

I don't believe you can move coins fast enough to beat volatility, even if you can move coins fast enough you cannot move fiat fast enough to do arbitrage safely.

I noticed lately there's a big difference in price in GDAX and Bitstamp, anyone doing arbitrage successfully between these two exchanges?

Moving fiat is slow but it's just that, there is nothing unsafe (it may cost, but you know how much in advance), you just have to move afterwards, during which time you can't trade anymore.
avikz
Legendary

Activity: 3080
Merit: 1500

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:46:26 PM

Entire crypto currency market is still unclear about their legality. So lets not talk about that, instead lets talk about the effectiveness of arbitrage trading. It is a great method of trading and you can make assured profit from almost every trade. I used to arbitrage a lot when I had time during weekends. However, nowadays, you will require a lot of capital investment if you want to use bitcoin for arbitraging. Because the transactions are slow and it takes almost 30 minutes for confirmation. So almost every time you will loose the arbitraging opportunity if you try to transfer from one exchange to another.

So I suggest you to use ETH for arbitraging. ETH transactions are usually instant, it only takes few seconds to confirm. So you can make profit almost every time even if you move funds from one exchange to another. But the main problem with ETH is the price difference. Since the price difference is very less, you need to have a huge investment to make out a good amount of money from ETH arbitraging. However, if you can play it right, arbitraging is the best method to make profit from trading.

Jaya912

Activity: 280

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 10:53:53 PM

why dont you think about confirmation?
confirmation is very important when you decide to do this strategy. with long confirmation then you will be likely loss your money.
yes you are right, bitcoin is not good choice if you want to use this strategy because very long confirmation. you can try the other coin which is not crowded in the market to make the transaction even quicker.

You can read in the bottom for coin suggestions.

vanedwap

Activity: 560
Merit: 113

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2017, 01:38:57 AM

Arbitrage strategy is one of the best strategy when in comes in trading but sometimes you will loss your expected profit because sometimes if you want to transfer the coin from exchange to another exchange to block confirmation are very slow,before you transferred the coin the price already dumped

deddod

Activity: 476
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 03:43:06 AM

yes it is legal and allowed.
many traders are taking advantage of arbitrage. but some coins usually have problems when making deposite or withdraw between exchange.

▄█▄
   ██▀  ▄█▄
  ██▀  ▄█▀  ▄▀
 ██▀  ▄█▀  ▄▀
▐█▌  ▄█▀  ▄▀
██   ██  
██   ██  
██   ██  
▐█▌  ▀█▄  ▀▄
 ██▄  ▀█▄  ▀▄
  ██▄  ▀█▄  ▀▄
   ██▄  ▀█▀
    ▀█▀
████
▀▀▀▀
▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█████████████▐████
▀▀     ▄▄▄▄▄▀██████████▐████
▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄█████▀ ▀▄▄▄     ▐████
▀▀     ▄▀███▄▄▄▄       ▐████
▄▄   ▀█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▐████
▀▄▄▀▀▀▀▀██████████████▐████
▄▄   ▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▐████

▀▄▄▀▀▀  ██████           ▐████
██████▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▐████

▄▄  ████▀▄██████████▐████
▀▄▄▀▀▀▀ ▄████████████▐████
BIDIUM       ▄█▄
   ▄█▄
  ▀██

▀▄  ▀█▄  ▀██
 ▀▄  ▀█▄  ▀██
  ▀▄  ▀█▄  ▐█▌
   █   ██   ██
   █   ██   ██
   █   ██   ██
  ▄▀  ▄█▀  ▐█▌
 ▄▀  ▄█▀  ▄██
▄▀
  ▄█▀  ▄██
   ▀█▀
  ▄██
       ▀█▀

Kloug

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 11:36:06 AM

Arbitrage right now has to be very profitable from Bitfinex to GDAX where the BTC is

2500EUR HIGHER

W   T   F
qiwoman2
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1023

Oikos.cash | Decentralized Finance on Tron

View Profile
December 07, 2017, 11:45:33 AM

Arbitrage right now has to be very profitable from Bitfinex to GDAX where the BTC is

2500EUR HIGHER

W   T   F

That's really great news. I think I should open an account in both of those exchanges as the markets are full of volatility now. I have arbitraged smaller cap coins but now the problem is the Eth and btc networks are so clogged up, one would have to wait for the congestion to ease. I tried to arb some PPT yesterday and I am still waiting for some Eth to come to me from an exchange where it has been stuck for more than 24 hour sigh.  Cry Anyway sold some NXT for a small profit and bought some cheaper PPT that got dumped on hitbtc exchange, so that kind of worked out.

█▀█ █ █▄▀ █▀█ █▀ ░ █▀▀ ▄▀█ █▀ █░█
█▄█ █ █░█ █▄█ ▄█ ▄ █▄▄ █▀█ ▄█ █▀█

DeFi on Tron
and trustless token exchange
█████

█████

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

JOIN OIKOS

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████

█████
    █
    █