Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:17:58 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: new real tangible physical bitcoin coin  (Read 55942 times)
RSantana (OP)

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

CoinedBits.com

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 09:14:03 PM

Thanks for the feedback so far. I'll get these orders out ASAP.

To answer some of your questions:
Obverse/Reverse pictures: You've seen the Obverse, I will post a good picture of the reverse over the weekend. Below is a rendering of what the reverse looks like.

International shipping: I'm struggling how I can deal with international orders at the moment.

Bitbills: I agree making this coin like a bitbill would be cool. However manufacturing costs are a little too much for me to deal with right now.

What is the code on the back of the coin for: Each person who gets the coin can go to CoinedBits.com and enter their location and a message. This allows all those who had the coin the ability to see where the coin has been and what people think of it. OR... You can be creative and use the unique code for your own purposes.

Is this a real Bitcoin: Sorry for the confusion. I guess I shouldn't use the word "real". It has no real Bitcoin value. However, depending on how you use the unique code you might be able to have it represent real Bitcoins.

What is the point of these coins: To get these coins into circulation, and help spread the Bitcoin message to the world :-)

Obverse

Reverse

Check out the first physical bitcoin at http://CoinedBits.com
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
reubgr

Activity: 38
Merit: 1

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 09:26:31 PM

Just ordered one of them. Will be a nice little memento of my adventures with Bitcoin  Cheesy

Same here. Very neat!
Hook^

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 09:40:30 PM

Just bought 3.

If you wanted it to be really cool, you would charge 1 bitcoin each coin and have an exchange in and out, with 100% reserve of digital bitcoins for all outstanding physical ones.  That would allow for easy transactions on the street.  This would allow for complete anonymity.  You would just have to be audited to insure that you hadn't given out more coins than bitcoins in your wallet.

It would be ironic that the "real" bitcoins are ephemeral bits on a computer, and the "paper" bitcoins would be physical metal.  A complete 180 from how money usually works!

RSantana (OP)

Activity: 111

CoinedBits.com

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 09:59:04 PM

If you wanted it to be really cool, you would charge 1 bitcoin each coin and have an exchange in and out, with 100% reserve of digital bitcoins for all outstanding physical ones.  That would allow for easy transactions on the street.  This would allow for complete anonymity.  You would just have to be audited to insure that you hadn't given out more coins than bitcoins in your wallet.

I like the concept, but how would you prevent counterfeiting?

Check out the first physical bitcoin at http://CoinedBits.com
Hook^

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:07:13 PM

As long as the value is low for a physical bitcoin, it wouldn't be worth counterfeiting, any more than counterfeiting quarters.  But if bitcoins go up to $100 each, then it would become very worth it.

Not sure how to counteract counterfeiting without multi-million dollar anti-counterfeiting technology like engraved holograms or something.
Hook^

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:17:02 PM

Another thing that may work is some kind of embedded EEPROM chip that contains an encryption key.  Maybe a wallet.dat file with just this one bitcoin in it.  Make it RFID and transfer the virtual bitcoin out of the wallet.dat when transferred, and make a new wallet.dat stocked with a bitcoin from your computer's wallet.dat before handing it out again.  In order for this to work, you would have to check the wallet.dat against the network before accepting, to insure there was a valid bitcoin inside.  Which would make it more cumbersome.

Maybe the gurus could come up with some scheme for such a scenerio.

Maybe it would be easier to just sell them as novelties Cheesy
davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 10:51:31 PM

It's a very neat idea but please, pretty please, this is supposed to be a world-wide usable coin, not just in the US. This means we definitely can't use the Thai baht symbol.

I mean, seriously: do you imagine a bitcoin-coin with a "$" symbol on it? Do you imagine reading/writing "$4.5" meaning 4.5 bitcoins? Wouldn't that be confusing? Then you know why the ฿ sign doesn't work either.

We're seeking for a fair economy system, and we can't even start being fair choosing the very symbol of the currency. That's depressing.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
AtlasONo

Activity: 551
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 10:56:30 PM

18k gold plated brass coin only 5.99? How are you making these are they cast?
Tx2000

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:03:49 PM

Canada?
theymos
Administrator
Legendary

Activity: 5138
Merit: 12564

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:10:37 PM

Cool coin! I'll probably buy one.

It's a very neat idea but please, pretty please, this is supposed to be a world-wide usable coin, not just in the US. This means we definitely can't use the Thai baht symbol.

I mean, seriously: do you imagine a bitcoin-coin with a "$" symbol on it? Do you imagine reading/writing "$4.5" meaning 4.5 bitcoins? Wouldn't that be confusing? Then you know why the ฿ sign doesn't work either.

We're seeking for a fair economy system, and we can't even start being fair choosing the very symbol of the currency. That's depressing.

The symbols are different. The Bitcoin symbol has two strokes, and they don't go through the middle of the B. No one who actually uses the Thai Baht symbol would be confused. Compare:

฿

1NXYoJ5xU91Jp83XfVMHwwTUyZFK64BoAD
raresaturn

Activity: 168

Everyone Is A Bank

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:15:13 PM

Would be cool if you made these a limited edition so they might actually go up in value as collectors items

BABB        |[     BANK ACCOUNT BASED BLOCKCHAIN     ]|       Everyone is a bank
▬                       JOIN TOKEN SALE                       ▬
▬▬▬▬▬     JOIN THE COMMUNITY    |    Telegram     ▬▬▬▬▬
kgo

Activity: 548
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 01, 2011, 11:26:23 PM

Hey, tried to order one.  I had to switch computers to pay.  The website told me not to submit my address until I paid.  Somehow my browser flipped out and the buy screen went away.  How can I send you my payment ID and Address?

P.S.  It would be nice if there was a contact email on the website.
MiningMonitor

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 11:31:57 PM

Ordered 4 for the team Wink

Very cool.

davux

Activity: 288
Merit: 263

Firstbits.com/1davux

View Profile WWW
July 01, 2011, 11:36:58 PM

The symbols are different. The Bitcoin symbol has two strokes, and they don't go through the middle of the B. No one who actually uses the Thai Baht symbol would be confused.

Fair enough. My criticism would rather stand against the use of the "฿" character, then. But keeping using the double-striked B as a symbol for Bitcoin will make people use the ฿ character by laziness. We'd be better off choosing a totally different symbol.

I'm sure that if someone had suggested using an S letter with a non-crossing bar for Bitcoin, everyone would have refused because it would look too much like the $ sign. Let's have some empathy and imagine for a moment that we live in Thailand and our everyday prices are written with a ฿ symbol. Seriously: wouldn't we prefer to just use a totally different sign for Bitcoin? The fact that Thai people are less present in the conversation at the moment shouldn't be an excuse for not taking them into consideration. Let's not be such assholes.

1DavuxH9tLqU4c7zvG387aTG4mA7BcRpp2
México (Oaxaca) – France - Leeds
raresaturn

Activity: 168

Everyone Is A Bank

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 12:15:46 AM

I also like the idea of having these valued at 1 BTC each.

BABB        |[     BANK ACCOUNT BASED BLOCKCHAIN     ]|       Everyone is a bank
▬                       JOIN TOKEN SALE                       ▬
▬▬▬▬▬     JOIN THE COMMUNITY    |    Telegram     ▬▬▬▬▬
wolftaur

Activity: 112

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 12:17:23 AM

I still think we should all be using ß as the bitcoin symbol. Smiley

"MOOOOOOOM! SOME MYTHICAL WOLFBEAST GUY IS MAKING FUN OF ME ON THE INTERNET!!!!"
luv2drnkbr

Activity: 793
Merit: 1016

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 12:18:21 AM

I just bought one and did as the site asked and didn't fill out my info and close the window until I sent payment.  However, I DID manage to do all that between sending and before 1st confirmation of sending.  Was that bad?  It's been a whopping five whole minutes and I didn't get an e-mail confirmation, so I'm starting to worry.  I want to make sure I get my coinbit because they look so neat and I really really wants one!

Piekartz

Activity: 6

View Profile WWW
July 02, 2011, 10:43:14 AM

This looks great, i've ordered one in case you decide to ship internationally.
Malte

Activity: 63

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 11:01:22 AM

Cool coin! I like the "traditional" Bitcoin symbol (like on your coins) but I have to agree that this is a problem with the Baht symbol.
Here is a list of possible alternatives: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Bitcoin_symbol

I heard a lot about Ƀ. There is a site that even suggests specific colors to use.

Btw, is there really a difference between ฿ and the B with two strokes (like on the coin)? Because I've also seen $ with one stroke and two strokes attached. (Uncle Scrooge uses this, for example :-)).
sunyag

Activity: 30

View Profile
July 02, 2011, 11:39:30 AM

You may want to consider making a more definitive statement on the Website that this is for 'novelty purposes only'. I can imagine that government interests (i.e. Sen. Charles Schumer) are just looking for some excuse to hang Bitcoin (and in this case, you) with a federal currency violation.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: