Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:18:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gas Prices going up for coin transfers? (MEW)  (Read 254 times)
Norcal2020 (OP)

Activity: 58
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 03:35:58 PM

Hello-
Recently, I was moving some coins from one wallet to another (MEW) and the gas price to get the transaction was set @ 200 000 for it to go through. I don't recall gas prices being this high. Any idea why that would be the case?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kahc

Activity: 350
Merit: 13

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 03:45:15 PM

Hello-
Recently, I was moving some coins from one wallet to another (MEW) and the gas price to get the transaction was set @ 200 000 for it to go through. I don't recall gas prices being this high. Any idea why that would be the case?

The gas price can be adjusted at the upper right corner.

What do you mean by set at 200 000? WEI?
I just checked at https://ethgasstation.info/, shouldn't be any problem setting Gas Price to 0.1 Gwei.
Norcal2020 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 04:15:06 PM

Sorry. My mistake. I meant to say "gas limit" when in the "send ether and tokens" option. To get the coin transaction to process, I had to increase the "gas limit" to 200,000. Thoughts?

If I could figure out how to get a screenshot uploaded I would but cannot. LOL. "Insert image" does not work for some reason.

kahc

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 04:33:57 PM

Sorry. My mistake. I meant to say "gas limit" when in the "send ether and tokens" option. To get the coin transaction to process, I had to increase the "gas limit" to 200,000. Thoughts?

If I could figure out how to get a screenshot uploaded I would but cannot. LOL. "Insert image" does not work for some reason.

That's weird, did the transaction used up all gas? Unused gas should be returned to your wallet.

The only times I've encountered increase in gas limit are:
 - Sending to contract addresses
or
 - I inputted something in the data field.

Did you get some kind of warning message that prevent you to send with the default 21000 gas limit?
Norcal2020 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 05:09:13 PM

That's weird, did the transaction used up all gas? Unused gas should be returned to your wallet.

or

Did you get some kind of warning message that prevent you to send with the default 21000 gas limit?

I did get an error that the gas limit was not enough and needed to be increased before the transaction would process. I was moving it from my MEW wallet to my Ledger wallet via MEW. I have another one to do today and will take note on the wording and error or restriction notifications when trying to process the transaction.

Appreciate the assistance.
kahc

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 05:28:38 PM

or

I did get an error that the gas limit was not enough and needed to be increased before the transaction would process. I was moving it from my MEW wallet to my Ledger wallet via MEW. I have another one to do today and will take note on the wording and error or restriction notifications when trying to process the transaction.

Just to clarify, are you sending ETH or ERC20 tokens?
Because tokens might require more as they contain complex opcodes.
Hypercube

Activity: 119
Merit: 105

Semantically satiated.

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 07:13:46 PM

It could also be that you did it at the exact time something was bloating the network, increasing the gas prices drastically (e.g a presale) and thus it's only a matter of retrying. Sometimes, as other said it's because you inputted something wrong that will use all your gas, so double-check everything just to be sure.
Norcal2020 (OP)

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 08:03:17 PM

or

Just to clarify, are you sending ETH or ERC20 tokens?
Because tokens might require more as they contain complex opcodes.

I was sending ERC20 tokens. Will cross-check all of the fields on the next token transfer.

Thanks for the guidance.
ahmadakbari

Activity: 602
Merit: 116

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 09:36:48 PM

or

Increase the gas limit and don't worry about high fees. Unused gas will be returned to your wallet.
Always set the gas limit at 200000. This is what myetherwallet recommend for sending tokens.
fara_buduk

Activity: 616
Merit: 100

gik nyareh proyek seteppak pas sepak

View Profile
December 02, 2017, 10:23:27 PM

the gas limit when you want to transfer the coins sometimes exceeds 21Gwei but it does not matter because usually the gas is spent no more than 0.001 and we have to change the gas boundary because it is recommended for coin transfers that run and this happens a lot for MEW

MainIbem

Activity: 1330
Merit: 385

#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE

View Profile
December 03, 2017, 05:23:30 PM

Is there a certain expected gas limit when transferring from MEW to MEW and from MEW to other wallets; or a differential in amount being transferred? Or is gas limit fixed?

.SWG.io.

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄

▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█

``█████████████████▄▄
``````▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▄
````````````````````▀██▄