Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 07:39:03 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon reference design from BitSyncom?  (Read 2011 times)
Tornate (OP)

Activity: 128
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:00:45 PM

Everyone's waiting for Klondike open-source project to get ready.. but why don't we use the original reference design of Avalon by BitSyncom?
I just checked their repo at github and found this:
https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref/tree/master/CAD

control_unit    
hash_panel    
hash_unit    
heat_sink    
power_distribution_unit    

You will need Altium Designer (with installed Licence file) to open those files.
if you don't have one
http://thepiratebay.sx/search/Altium%20Designer/0/7/0

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 05, 2013, 01:19:45 PM

*sigh*

fasmax

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:24:32 PM

Seems like this would have been the best approach for some one like TerraHash.
Then the design work heavy lifting would all ready be done.
jspielberg

Activity: 490
Merit: 255

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:38:05 PM

Though I believe the Avalon design is a significantly more expensive design.  There are a number of shops providing an Avalon clone service... Just like there are a number that will provide Klondike clone services (once the design is final).

I am a little surprised there aren't any (?) Burnin clone shops. I thought his board was listed as open hardware, and I think his is mostly complete/tested?
Tornate (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:44:08 PM

Though I believe the Avalon design is a significantly more expensive design.  There are a number of shops providing an Avalon clone service... Just like there are a number that will provide Klondike clone services (once the design is final).

I am a little surprised there aren't any (?) Burnin clone shops. I thought his board was listed as open hardware, and I think his is mostly complete/tested?
Are you really sure the Avalon design is significally more expensive than Klondike?

Also as far as I know, the Burning design was developed on open-source software, though he did not push it to github public repo.
andrewsg

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 01:45:27 PM

There are no chips yet, so people can still go one way or the other. The OP is correct, the Avalon design is the "low risk approach" after all it's a proven working design, but as mentioned already it's expensive. The cost of the control unit alone makes it out of the question for someone with a small number of chips - here is where the Klondike and Burnin designs shine.

Bitcoin can be bad for your chi. Improve yours and mine by sending BTC to: 1N1zRYSwKQbZ8Kx1bKvTskrjGMNynVFEr1
fasmax

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:00:35 PM

I think burnin is going to release at some point. Then we will see burnin clones but the clones will be a little behind.
I think the cost difference for Avalon reference design isn't that much for larger hash rates.
The nice thing about Klondike and Burnin is it lets the smaller operation participate in bitcoin mining at reasonable cost.  

andrewsg

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:35:02 PM

I think burnin is going to release at some point. Then we will see burnin clones but the clones will be a little behind.
I think the cost difference for Avalon reference design isn't that much for larger hash rates.
The nice thing about Klondike and Burnin is it lets the smaller operation participate in bitcoin mining at reasonable cost.  

True - for large hash rates, but you are also assuming that the manufacturer (assembler) would pass on the lower cost to the buyer, in BTC world this doesn't seem to happen. In other words, please show me a credible and reasonably priced avalone clone manufacturer, I would like to throw my money at them.

Bitcoin can be bad for your chi. Improve yours and mine by sending BTC to: 1N1zRYSwKQbZ8Kx1bKvTskrjGMNynVFEr1
Tornate (OP)

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 02:57:42 PM

Does anyone know -- is that the list of all components needed to assemble complete device, or for Hash Unit only?
https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref/blob/master/BOM/hash_unit.md
fasmax

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 03:05:20 PM

Does anyone know -- is that the list of all components needed to assemble complete device, or for Hash Unit only?
https://github.com/BitSyncom/avalon-ref/blob/master/BOM/hash_unit.md
I just took a quick look and it seems it's only the hash unit.
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 05, 2013, 03:53:25 PM
Last edit: July 05, 2013, 07:27:18 PM by loshia

True - for large hash rates, but you are also assuming that the manufacturer (assembler) would pass on the lower cost to the buyer, in BTC world this doesn't seem to happen. In other words, please show me a credible and reasonably priced avalone clone manufacturer, I would like to throw my money at them.
Strombom is the guy - Avalon clones. I think if he scales prices should go down. He is not making noise compared to the other so called manufacturers. I am not mentioning the fact that most of them do not have any idea what are they doing. Being good manager ordering PCb from china upfront is not just enough! Speaking of smaller boards klondikes and others marto74 is the guy. And let us not forget reasonable price means that the guy's assembling  boards for us should make a profit. That is the way it works. Making a profit does not mean ripping us off.

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: