Bitcoin Forum
May 25, 2024, 07:35:54 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: server mb advantage and anyone mining on server mb?  (Read 710 times)
e97

Activity: 58
Merit: 1

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:07:09 AM

I had the cut out the ends of the pci-e x 8 slots  so the the pci-e x 16 cards could fit in the pci-e x 8 slots .. it works though!!

damn thats a brilliant quick fix. how did you cut them and was it clean?
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

Activity: 394
Merit: 101

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:30:42 AM

and to be honest, power usages is actually low even though the motherboard is on high performance "mode" and that was a trick to learn !! also this is required due to hardware limitations that the compact design of a 2U gives a odd arrangements of pci-e slots on risers boards that allows to use 4 x single slot, full length video cards allotments and 2 x low profile, single slot and half length video cards allotments for a total of the 6 pci-e slots.. due to server case being low profile  Using 4 x XFX single slot 460 and 2 x MSI single slot micro badass 460 would be the best setup to mount them properly and and no external power source is required to plug into these video cards  and that increased power savings efficient!!!  There is a major flaw with with BMC controller that prevents the motherboard from disabling  the onboard AMD gpu . So any AMD Gpu video card that I installed will always become the secondary video dispaly under the windows or linux environment. Even if i disabled the onbaord video in the BIOS setup.. all six gpus plug into a Video screen just goes blank and you can hear the server ramp up the fans which is not good!!  Your forced to reset the jumper on the motherbaord in order for the defaults to set the onboard video back on!! and thats the only way to get all 6 gpu to work under secondary display. if the bios rest didnt work, removing all 6 gpu is the only solution Then by accident after doing a bios reset and cards removal , I install a Nvidia card in the low profile, half length slot and to my surprise The server bios started on the Nvidia screen and the onboard gpu was disable which none of the amd video cards I've install can never do before and the nvidia is actually is siting on a HP/AMD motherboard.   Then I allowed windows to install the nvidia drivers and then asked to restart windows which i allowed and I seen the fastest reboot and re start like it did never before. Somehow The Nvidia video card did the trick and I installed all 5 x amd with the nvidia being the main dispaly which allow more resources to mine cryptocurrenecy on the amd cards.. to be honest , im actually mining on all gpus and cpus , the fans are low and not ramping up..  when I removed the nvidia card, that caused the onboard video to kick back on and  youll noticed how much slower the server is running under the windows/linux environment and the fans are ramping again..  

dude you aint playing game you dont need gpu to main display, just need its computing power to do a hash. i actually have z270 right now to which i connected my display to onboard video and mining on two gpu. Initially I set one of the gpu to monitor and set in the bios an external video as main but it just burped. My suspicion is usb3.0 connector. So i decided not to bother with this and went for onboard for main display. Actually I dont really need display at all, once it is setup and running, i am using ssh (linux) and rdp (windows) to log on and interact with the miner.
10yrs experience with bios dev and test. AMA and I will try my best! Smiley
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:33:58 AM

I had the cut out the ends of the pci-e x 8 slots  so the the pci-e x 16 cards could fit in the pci-e x 8 slots .. it works though!!

damn thats a brilliant quick fix. how did you cut them and was it clean?

wow hopefully he did cut it just right.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:35:57 AM

Regarding another throwback on remote management:
I worked with client sometime which is called Amulet Hotkey.
They actually sell a console that sends video and usb signal over the IP stack so you can control it remotely.
However I havent investigated the price, i think it might be pricey. There was something over ebay. I would not call it just solution but perhaps path to exploration.

And I am not sure if those are out-of-band, if i remember correctly, they are.
mrankin

Activity: 312
Merit: 102

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 09:58:17 AM

I'm doing 90% of my CPU mining on dedicated servers, most of them are 10+ years old. Credits(CRDS) can only be mined with a CPU so you're not competing with massive hashpower from GPU's. If you have servers already I would highly recommend you take a look.
sirslayer

Activity: 540
Merit: 501

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 08:35:08 AM

check out this single slot video card!!! 

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487391

and if any one is curious, I used a butter knife and heated the tipped till it glow from over the gas range. Used the hot knife to curve out the back end of the pci-e x8 slot like how you insert a card into the slot. straight down and pull out away threw the back. if your quick enough, you can do 2 slots before knife cools down. 
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:43:11 AM

Pretty much all cards with full-cover waterblocks are one-slot. Buying EVGA kingpin for mining is a pretty stupid way to spend money. Smiley
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:08:19 AM

Pretty much all cards with full-cover waterblocks are one-slot. Buying EVGA kingpin for mining is a pretty stupid way to spend money. Smiley

For mining, what I look for is efficiency, not the power and obviousl they are not necessarily same thing.
This seems pretty decent entry level article, as mentioned in the article, I am looking for a way to find a "sweet spot" where the sol/s OR H/S is maximized per /w. Basically increase Hashes/watt, Sol/watt as much as possible.
http://cryptomining-blog.com/tag/gtx-1080-ti-equihash/
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:17:53 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2017, 10:41:48 AM by sirslayer

I predict that video cards will shirnk in size and the video cards I use are single slot design which incorporates smaller size to fit in a 2u or half height slot.. Have you ever held a video card that is the size of the palm of your hands and the power of a nvidia 1050t ??  , less power usages  since No power cables are required to plug into video card. I believe my hp server setup is the right direction from future of mining and using 2u space with more power efficiency since im only one who pays the electric bill at my business and its a concern  , half height , half length video cards
wacko
Legendary

Activity: 1106
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:20:30 AM

For mining, what I look for is efficiency, not the power and obviousl they are not necessarily same thing.
Nothing is efficient about the watercooled 1080 Ti Kingpin. Cheesy It's a card made for breaking overclocking records. It's not power-efficient, and it's ridiculously expensive. There are a lot cheaper 1080 Ti's with full-cover waterblocks out there, including some other cards from EVGA as well.

Have you ever held a video card that is the size of the palm of your hands and the power of a nvidia 1050t ??
I have. R9 Nano. A lot more powerful than gtx 1050 ti actually.
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:23:05 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2017, 11:25:37 AM by sirslayer

Is your nano on a half height half lenghth card? Plus that 1080 I posted would be more efficient then a two slot fan cooling version of the 1080

So far most r9 nanos I googled are full height , half length .. Doubled slot .. A waste of slot space ! But it's not half height, single slot ..    I believe that is the way of the future .  
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:56:57 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2017, 12:23:07 PM by sirslayer

Wacko, this is a true half length, half height single slot card link i found and this card is tiny in size compared to an avg R9, i can't find any R9 at half height , single slot. Can you share more info on your video card??  The R9 is actually very good..  its heading in the direction to be miniaturize

A half height, half length single slot card

GeForce GT 1030’s TDP is a mere 30W and 10 years ago this chipset would been strong as the Nvidia GT 8800 @ 75/125 watts .. I believe by the year 2020 the power reduction  of the 1080 will be tomorrows 1030

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125972&cm_re=1030-_-14-125-972-_-Product

A half height, half length single slot card @ 75 watts AMD rx460

https://videocardz.net/msi-radeon-rx-460-4gb-lp/

A half height, half length but double slot card

https://wccftech.com/msi-gtx-1050-ti-low-profile/

GeePeeU

Activity: 538
Merit: 251

ASK

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:53:55 PM

I'll just leave this here:

You either have some serious TDP adjustments, or have a 999999 CFM fan in there. >.>

Whats the temps?

Always doubt.
ggbtctalk000 (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 05:17:04 PM

I predict that video cards will shirnk in size and the video cards I use are single slot design which incorporates smaller size to fit in a 2u or half height slot.. Have you ever held a video card that is the size of the palm of your hands and the power of a nvidia 1050t ??  , less power usages  since No power cables are required to plug into video card. I believe my hp server setup is the right direction from future of mining and using 2u space with more power efficiency since im only one who pays the electric bill at my business and its a concern  , half height , half length video cards
Right now i appears to be heading to other direction. More connectors, bigger size.
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 05:22:35 PM

I building one now all i need is the case and PSU with four CPU's for xmr mining I might build two more after i see how this one works out.. an gonna keep miing with open air rigs when i use GPU's, i did think about using a server MB and Case for that ..

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 08:19:53 AM

Im an AMD fanatic but your showing inferior 2 slotted space wasting design compared to the champ of software mining is the Nvidia 1080 series.

I have a few 2U and a 4U for mining operations and beside cost , space is a factor to setup and run your soon to be mining farm. You want the best of course going ASIC and a mix of servers would over cover different algos which would be important

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/821849-amd-vega-64-mining-performance-below-nvidia-gtx-1080-ti/

check out ebay on used servers..  !!
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 09:46:15 PM

SIngle slot width FULL size cards are very restrictive on their cooling - reference the PhillipMa1957 thread where he talks about using some of the Katana 1070 cards and their heat issues.
Low profile cards are EVEN MORE restrictive on the cooling they can manage.
Low profile single-slot width cards are a lot worse yet.

THAT is why nothing with high capability ever shows up in those form factors.

Do note that EVERY 1080 IS 2 SLOT WIDE AT LEAST (a very few like the Aorus are *3* slot wide) - which means it is just as much a "space wasting" design as high-end AMD cards.
 Also, the 1080 is not "the champ" at anything, though it is competative with the rest of the NVidia 1070/1070ti/1080ti cards on most algos.

2U for a mining setup is a waste of time and effort, you are WAY too limited on the cards you can use due to the "low profile" only limit of the case heights - or you have to use 90 degree risers and can normally only mount 1 or 2 cards TOTAL which is also a Bad Thing.
 4U is viable, but you WILL have cooling issues even if you use high-power fans to toss air THROUGH the case if you run a lot of cards in the case - though it IS a lot more compact than most riser setups.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
sirslayer

chickens and cryptos

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 10:59:43 PM
Last edit: December 10, 2017, 11:51:15 PM by sirslayer

well my equipment dont over heat and the 20 years of repairing HP servers I only remember one case of a clients server of over heating due to a mouse got trapped inside a server.  

PhillipMa1957 is a pioneer and i due listen to his advice and he even did a review of The Panda Miner and even though he doesn't recommend the product (due to overheating,ect,ect),  he even agrees that miniaturizing is the way of future and he shares his experience with products like the Panda Miner or the Nvidia 1070 by Galax?? ..   The technology isnt perfect and a few years it will get better.. so either jump abroad or smell my rocket fumes as I go to the moon!!!

Recently, I just rented @ AWS a virtual server with 8x Nvidia tesla v100 !!!   A example of 4U computing and you think they run their servers cases air open??  I dont think so!!

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/new-amazon-ec2-instances-with-up-to-8-nvidia-tesla-v100-gpus-p3/

Not all 1080"s are doubled slot!!  There is a retail version the EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N Hydro Copper single slotted
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:04:04 PM

Water cooled are a special case - yes, there are few where the CARD is single slot - but when you add in the space eaten by the RADIATOR, you don't gain any space overall.

He was using some of the "Katana" model 1070 cards for a short while - I don't remember if those are branded Galax or KFA but it's the same company behind both brands - and the cooling on them was very poor.

Note that the Tesla is SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED for use in server cases - it has BOTH ENDS OPEN FOR FLOW-THROUGH AIR unlike comsumer-type GPUs (or it uses a "mezzanine" design in some specific servers that doesn't interface via PCI-E in it's TOP model).

There are other workstation/server specific GPUs with that design - quite a few of the AMD Firepro line, and some older Nvidia cards as well.
 They are "passive cooled" relying on the CASE to provide lots of airflow through the GPU area.
 They also have LOWER CLOCKS due to heat dissipation limits where there is a "consumer-grade" version AND a workstation-version - like the AMD WX series (which are RX series GPUs but in a single-wide workstation card format).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Plant Power

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 11:54:11 PM

and if any one is curious, I used a butter knife and heated the tipped till it glow from over the gas range. Used the hot knife to curve out the back end of the pci-e x8 slot like how you insert a card into the slot. straight down and pull out away threw the back. if your quick enough, you can do 2 slots before knife cools down. 

I love this - you basically went full macgyer - do you have a write up and pics of your build?
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: