Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 04:25:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sourceforge censorship in Iran  (Read 1878 times)
semaforo (OP)

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 02:46:07 PM

I was just reading up on bitcoin in Iran and I saw that sourceforge censors downloads from IP addresses in Iran. Iran is experiencing severe inflation right now and bitcoin might really be able to help some people. I don't know who is responsible for the sourceforge bitcoin account, but I just want to make sure that the settings are set to allow downloads from "axis of evil" countries where good people might be the victims of bad governments.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/10/09/as-inflation-rages-in-iran-bitcoin-software-not-available/

I didn't find this topic already addressed in a search, so I thought I'd mention it, since inflation in Iran doesn't appear to be diminishing.
btcrich

Activity: 302
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 03:15:30 PM

I was just reading up on bitcoin in Iran and I saw that sourceforge censors downloads from IP addresses in Iran. Iran is experiencing severe inflation right now and bitcoin might really be able to help some people. I don't know who is responsible for the sourceforge bitcoin account, but I just want to make sure that the settings are set to allow downloads from "axis of evil" countries where good people might be the victims of bad governments.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jonmatonis/2012/10/09/as-inflation-rages-in-iran-bitcoin-software-not-available/

I didn't find this topic already addressed in a search, so I thought I'd mention it, since inflation in Iran doesn't appear to be diminishing.

Careful.  Jgarzik might attack you for even thinking about revealing sha256 to Iran!   Tongue

jgarzik goes berzerk in #bitcoin-dev, wtf?  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128532.0
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 03:47:09 PM

Would it legally engage the administrator to make this change?

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
piotr_n
Legendary

Activity: 2053
Merit: 1354

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 05:25:27 PM
Last edit: July 07, 2013, 05:37:20 PM by piotr_n

No worries, Iranians who need bitcoin will surely find a way to download it.

But it is really funny to see how some people get crazy defending stupid and unjust sanctions - they must be either a real patriots or a real pussies. Cannot say which one would be more embarrassing, though Smiley

I say: fuck US, fuck EU - and fuck their stupid politics.
The truth is that Bitcoin is not and never have been meant to follow regulations of any of these nazi governments, but rather to destroy them - and that is the main reason of its worldwide success.
Now ban me, if you need to, for encouraging illegal activity, you poor american slaves. Smiley

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
PGP fingerprint: AB9E A551 E262 A87A 13BB  9059 1BE7 B545 CDF3 FD0E
semaforo (OP)

Activity: 728

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 05:34:18 PM

Careful.  Jgarzik might attack you for even thinking about revealing sha256 to Iran!   Tongue

jgarzik goes berzerk in #bitcoin-dev, wtf?  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=128532.0

Thanks for the link, interesting discussion.

No worries, Iranians who need bitcoin will surely find a way to download it.

But it is really funny to see how some people get crazy defending stupid and unjust sanctions - they must be either a real patriots or a real pussies. Cannot say which one would be more embarrassing, though Smiley

I say: suck US, fuck EU - and fuck their stupid nazi politics.
Now ban me, if you have to, for encouraging illegal activity Smiley

Glad to elicit such responses. I personally think nationalism is a sickness and don't want anyone to suffer because people think they are American/Russian/Indonesian first and human second.

This is one planet now and people trying to fight us living united for personal profit, well, I advise you to stop that.
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 05:41:52 PM

Glad to elicit such responses. I personally think nationalism is a sickness and don't want anyone to suffer because people think they are American/Russian/Indonesian first and human second.

This is one planet now and people trying to fight us living united for personal profit, well, I advise you to stop that.
I'm also happy to be reading such opinions more and more often, as I get older.
Maybe there is still some hope for the humanity after all. Smiley

Check out gocoin - my original project of full bitcoin node & cold wallet written in Go.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:14:31 AM

More ++ to semaforo Smiley
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 08:52:25 AM

SHA developed and owned by the US and exporting SHA based stuff to countries like Iran is illegal so the devs and the foundation are trying to keep away from trouble. However as far as I know scrypt is a different animal, so Litecoin could be a good alternative.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1255

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 09:17:58 AM

SHA developed and owned by the US and exporting SHA based stuff to countries like Iran is illegal so the devs and the foundation are trying to keep away from trouble. However as far as I know scrypt is a different animal, so Litecoin could be a good alternative.
Scrypt uses SHA256

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Snail2
Legendary

Activity: 1512

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 12:28:10 PM

Scrypt uses SHA256

Oops! That's true.
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 12:58:08 PM

I seem to remember this being discussed maybe a year ago? It is still just as valid a concern now as it was then. Bitcoin is meant to go beyond national boundaries and silly politics.

Honestly, I do not see why the US is so hard on Iran, they seem to just want a boogeyman to fight against and an excuse to continue expanding their military and squeezing every last drop out of taxpayers.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 01:07:01 PM

BTW, it was so funny, when Iran captured their drone by spoofing its GPS receiver.. As it turns out the most advanced military in the world doesn't even bother to use signatures on their military focused navigation system. What a bunch of lamers - no wonder that they see such a big thread to their national security in enemy having access to sha256 algo.. Smiley

Raoul Duke
aka psy
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 01:12:14 PM

Already voiced this same concern almost 2 years ago. Didn't lead to much...
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=37687.0
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 01:15:28 PM

BTW, it was so funny, when Iran captured their drone by spoofing its GPS receiver.. As it turns out the most advanced military in the world doesn't even bother to use signatures on their military focused navigation system. What a bunch of lamers - no wonder that they see such a big thread to their national security in enemy having access to sha256 algo.. Smiley

Ha, I hadn't heard that was how they got it, I was under the impression it was just stupidity on the part of the Americans. Seems like something you would want to do: if you have a flying death robot you should make it so the people you are spying on/shooting at cannot take control of it.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 02:30:04 PM

As far as i know this is false, especially since SHA is in public domain

piotr_n
Legendary

aka tonikt

View Profile WWW
July 08, 2013, 02:47:13 PM

Ha, I hadn't heard that was how they got it, I was under the impression it was just stupidity on the part of the Americans. Seems like something you would want to do: if you have a flying death robot you should make it so the people you are spying on/shooting at cannot take control of it.
They did not take a control over it, per se.
But they jammed its communication with the base, so it couldn't receive orders - in which case it should automatically return to the home base.
And then they were broadcasting a fake GPS signals that made the drone thinking that it was going towards the base in Afganistan, while it just landed politely on Iranian airfield.
Because obviously US Army's top end GPS system does not use any reliable method of authentication whether a message comes from the actual satellite, and not from the enemy's radio.

knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 02:52:03 PM

Honestly, I do not see why the US is so hard on Iran, they seem to just want a boogeyman to fight against and an excuse to continue expanding their military and squeezing every last drop out of taxpayers.

They want to steal their oil to back the USD value. Don't wonder why Iran is the "enemy".

greenbtc

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 07:33:11 PM

Indeed, we are all sharing the same spinning rock...it's time to act like it.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4396
Merit: 3062

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
July 09, 2013, 01:40:14 AM

Because obviously US Army's top end GPS system does not use any reliable method of authentication whether a message comes from the actual satellite, and not from the enemy's radio.
Actually, it does. Military GPS signals are cryptographically authenticated. But Iran jammed the military GPS frequency, and the drones were programmed to automatically fall back to the civilian GPS system if the military GPS system fails. Civilian GPS signals are not authenticated, and the decision to not authenticate civilian GPS signals was a deliberate one, as back when GPS was invented, cryptography was a restricted technology (and still is to an extent, which is why SourceForge is not allowed to make cryptographic code available in Iran) and the military decided that civilians have no need for authenticated GPS signals. Whoops.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: