Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 01:39:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Scrypt ASIC  (Read 1833 times)
losh11 (OP)

Activity: 299
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 05:19:14 PM
Last edit: August 05, 2013, 11:15:25 AM by losh11

Hey there,

(REMOVED)

Thanks,
Loshan
Joerii
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1050

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 05:22:32 PM

You might want to use the search function and find out that half the threads on this whole forum are about Scrypt ASICs.

Hypercube - get the attention you deserve
maursader

Activity: 509
Merit: 250

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 05:43:24 PM

Seems like an interesting venture although I'm very highly skeptical about this working or going anywhere. Send me a PM when things are in motion, I'll be interested in buying your first batch that comes out.
redcomet

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 05:51:57 PM

ASIC chips designed to mine bitcoins will never mine scrypt-based coins.  It's not a problem of RAM, the problem is the chips spit out SHA hashes which are not compatible with scrypt.
coinerd

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 05:59:42 PM

...4 Gigahash/s SHA256 and theoretically 4 Megahash/s for Scrypt...

This is where you lost it, and probably why you're not getting many replies.

This shows a profound misunderstanding of what these chips are.  I don't mean that as an insult, I'm just laying it out there.

These are not general computing devices, and in theory or in practice they are literally not capable of ever producing a scrypt hash.

You might consider pursuing this project with bulk ATI processors, I've been told they're nearly ideal for the task of hashing scrypt.

Here's someone giving me a very detailed lecture on the ins and outs of the current tech: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=242987.msg2580579#msg2580579

JungleBook

Activity: 183

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 06:05:14 PM

i ordered a pre-order for batch 1  from bitbars.net  . i know it's a long shot but heck if it comes threw it will be badAZZ
Zalfrin

Activity: 401

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 06:14:00 PM

i ordered a pre-order for batch 1  from bitbars.net  . i know it's a long shot but heck if it comes threw it will be badAZZ

ROFL, that "ASIC" was the most obvious scam I've seen posted to these forums. "Long shot" is very optimistic. Wink
Zalfrin

Activity: 401

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 06:25:48 PM

This shows a profound misunderstanding of what these chips are.  I don't mean that as an insult, I'm just laying it out there.

No offence taken, but I could still try to reprogram these to talk to the other components or even hire someone to. Also these chips are tiny, 7.5 x7.5 (mm) meaning that you could put tons of these onto a circuit board so you can defeat the 2 processor problem.

These are not FPGAs that you can reprogram. These do one thing and one thing only: double SHA algorithm.
fluffypony
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060

GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

View Profile WWW
July 07, 2013, 06:28:50 PM

Huh?

Do you know what an ASIC is? It is an APPLICATION SPECIFIC INTEGRATED CIRCUIT.

The key phrase there is APPLICATION SPECIFIC.

Do you know what application the ASICs currently produced for Bitcoin mining are specific to? SHA-256 hashing. That's it. Nothing more, nothing less. They can't do general purpose calculations, they can't run generic code, they can only do SHA-256 hashing.

Do you know what Litecoin uses? If you think SHA-256 you'd be wrong. It uses scrypt, a COMPLETELY different mechanism. If you hope to use a SHA-256 chip to generate an scrypt hash you're sorely mistaken. What you want to do is IMPOSSIBLE.

Someone in this thread asked if you'd searched and read - your lack of understanding as to what an ASIC is indicates that you didn't read enough.

coinerd

Activity: 196

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 06:33:34 PM

No offence taken, but I could still try to reprogram these to talk to the other components or even hire someone to. Also these chips are tiny, 7.5 x7.5 (mm) meaning that you could put tons of these onto a circuit board so you can defeat the 2 processor problem.

This will be my last shot at this:

It's literally not possible.  You can't re-program them.  They're formed in silicon to do only one thing: apply the SHA256 algorithm to provided data. And the data has to match pretty closely the expected template.

It can't even do basic math like 1+1 = 2.

This is not a function of the motherboard or other accessories mounted around it. There's not logic units or reprogrammable anything, you couldn't use it as a processor to make an ipad or a tablet or a laptop or a scrypt miner.

sigh...
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 06:44:11 PM

lol

Good luck on your project of reprogramming ASICs

gica_contra

Activity: 350

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 07:56:00 PM

with some knowledge in electronics (like I have) you could spend time building a PCB with enough RAM.

I think you are confusing knowledge in designing electronics with knowledge of how to use them them. Just like people think they'll do good in computer science just because they play lots of computer games.
Buffer Overflow
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1015

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 08:02:59 PM

*facepalm*

JungleBook

Activity: 183

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 08:03:42 PM

ROFL, that "ASIC" was the most obvious scam I've seen posted to these forums. "Long shot" is very optimistic. Wink

yea i have seen the negative stuff about this company but they update me every other day.I even got a phone call my some chick "jess" from the bitbar.net .She wanted to confirm my shipping address by phone.  WE will see how legit they really are very soon  Grin
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 08:04:29 PM

Yes, I understand it's confusing.

After all, why can't you reprogram a SHA-256 ASIC to hash Scrypt?

If I were you, I would do some research first.

Princeton.edu has a really nice explanation on ASIC's and FPGA's: http://www.princeton.edu/~achaney/tmve/wiki100k/docs/Application-specific_integrated_circuit.html

Just understand that ASIC's are made to do one thing and one thing only. You can't make them do anything else.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
juiced

Activity: 21
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 08:05:13 PM

I'm concerned about some people and what type of air they are breathing. I thought only Alice was in Wonderland.
FiiNALiZE

Activity: 868
Merit: 500

CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 08:07:02 PM

I'm concerned about some people and what type of air they are breathing. I thought only Alice was in Wonderland.

No need to be rude.

Most people are new to this kind of stuff, and don't understand how circuits, etc. work.

. ██████████.
                              .████████████████.
                           .██████████████████████.
                        -█████████████████████████████
                     .██████████████████████████████████.
                  -█████████████████████████████████████████
               -███████████████████████████████████████████████
           .-█████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       ..████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████..
       .   .██████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
       .      .████████████████████████████████████████████████.

.       .██████████████████████████████████████████████
       .    ██████████████████████████████████████████████████████
       .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████.
        .███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
           .█████████████████████████████████████████████████████
              .████████████████████████████████████████████████
                   ████████████████████████████████████████
                      ██████████████████████████████████
                          ██████████████████████████
                             ████████████████████
                               ████████████████
                                   █████████
.CryptoTalk.org.|.MAKE POSTS AND EARN BTC!.🏆
thef

Activity: 154

View Profile
July 07, 2013, 08:15:29 PM

yea i have seen the negative stuff about this company but they update me every other day.I even got a phone call my some chick "jess" from the bitbar.net .She wanted to confirm my shipping address by phone.  WE will see how legit they really are very soon  Grin

In that case, I can have some scrypt ASICs ready in two weeks. Taking preorders now.  Wink
Damnsammit

Activity: 406

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 01:07:47 PM

Most people are new to this kind of stuff, and don't understand how circuits, etc. work.

I think rudeness is okay here.  OP wasn't asking for information on ASICs... he was stating that, with his electronics knowledge, he could just simply reprogram a SHA256 ASIC into hashing Scrypt.  Which is hilariously incorrect.
maursader

Activity: 509

Disrupt the banking system!

View Profile
July 08, 2013, 03:31:36 PM

Gotta love how a post like this contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation, yet it still garners towards activity. Rather than take this off topic by poking fun, perhaps you'd have something brilliant to share in the thread?

Like the previous poster said, not everyone knows all the details about ASIC (let alone FPGA) so cut the TC some slack. Topic creator, you definitely have an idea that a lot of people have thought about at least once hypothetically speaking. Developing a PCB and the components to an ASIC or FPGA is very simple, however obtaining a design, even by hiring a well trained software engineer will still require you to invest a lot of money. The cheapest I have seen is no less than $30,000 for about 20 test chips with no guarantees that they will work, up into the millions of dollars. Because of its speculative nature, it would be hard to get a kickstarter going.

It's a huge thing, and the only thing holding you back is a chip design which costs a lot, and production which also costs you a lot. But as I said in my original post before, if you do somehow manage to crank a batch of these, let me know, and I may just buy the entire batch. :-)
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: