Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 01:53:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asus Rx 580s mining in linux for eth - power, modding etc ?  (Read 272 times)
Rickirs (OP)

Activity: 206
Merit: 20

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 05:08:44 PM

Hi,

So far I have experience with Nvidia cards for mining , all it takes is modifying some clock settings and you get best from card. However, for another rig I am planning Radeon Rx580, from a local shop, I can get Asus RX 580 Dual OC at decent price and are readily available (surprisingly).

If anyone has used those cards then please help me with :
1. Are these cards good for mining (have gone through hours of posts on various forums, people were able to mint 31+ mhs on these if Samsung memory,30+ if hynix) with modding and overlocking.
2. I understand, it needs modding , will it be easier or this card ?
3. I can't get any mean power consumption, some says they  hare on 120W, some says 135W and some even said 95W for best possible hash rate.
4. Above all, are these cards better than 1060 in overall hashes, price and power ratio ? , at my place, 1060 6G is little cheaper than this one.

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Once a transaction has 6 confirmations, it is extremely unlikely that an attacker without at least 50% of the network's computation power would be able to reverse it.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
treanski

Activity: 364
Merit: 106

ONe Social Network.

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 06:09:05 PM

on the upper right side the is a magnifying glass, right of this a blank field and right of this a search button.
i bet my balls you will find everything you are asking for

halker2010

Activity: 532
Merit: 250

The harder your life is the more meaning it has.

View Profile
December 05, 2017, 06:47:00 PM

Hi,

So far I have experience with Nvidia cards for mining , all it takes is modifying some clock settings and you get best from card. However, for another rig I am planning Radeon Rx580, from a local shop, I can get Asus RX 580 Dual OC at decent price and are readily available (surprisingly).

1. Are these cards good for mining (have gone through hours of posts on various forums, people were able to mint 31+ mhs on these if Samsung memory,30+ if hynix) with modding and overlocking.
3. I can't get any mean power consumption, some says they  hare on 120W, some says 135W and some even said 95W for best possible hash rate.
4. Above all, are these cards better than 1060 in overall hashes, price and power ratio ? , at my place, 1060 6G is little cheaper than this one.

Thanks
I suggest you to look at https://anorak.tech for bios mods and if you can just continue with nvidia because you have more experience with them but well as you said decent price is appealing so if you mod the bios and get the blockchain driver you get around 28-31 hashrate.
Rickirs (OP)

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 05:01:49 PM

on the upper right side the is a magnifying glass, right of this a blank field and right of this a search button.
i bet my balls you will find everything you are asking for

You lost your balls in this bet already, I had actually did  many hours research, to such extent that most of the topics or discussions related even remotely to this GPU related to mining on Google has struck me multiple times for variation of keywords. Instead of trolling, I wanted some experienced person to share views and guide me. I don't think asking for some precise guidance or pointer is wrong... I already have heaps of information, links read and bookmarked but still find them confusing.

On Nvidia side, I already have two odd GTX 1060 with Hynix memory and drawing more power than usual as well as with quite lower hashrate, that is why I started this topic so that I can save myself from same mistake in RX 580s. I learned hard way by buying almost all brands and variant available of 1060s in region. Now I know which one to avoid.

But if I am going to see only replies like yours then I suppose I have to learn again hard way by trying all available brands to find bad one myself. That actually devoid the idea of community forums where people help each other by sharing experience and not trolling like Social Media Wink

I suggest you to look at https://anorak.tech for bios mods and if you can just continue with nvidia because you have more experience with them but well as you said decent price is appealing so if you mod the bios and get the blockchain driver you get around 28-31 hashrate.
Have been already there on all mods related to this variant, there was one reported to be good but its no more available to download.
amishmanish
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 09:03:55 AM

Hi,

3. I can't get any mean power consumption, some says they  hare on 120W, some says 135W and some even said 95W for best possible hash rate.

Thanks

I just got my hands on one of these and have only just finished assembling the stuff. I am aiming to finish Ubuntu installation and begin mining with the default settings first as this is the first time I am trying this.

I am yet to start so of course have a lot to learn. A post about RX580 is here which says these are good for dual mining. https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1881008.0
So I am going to follow that as a guide.

BIOS modifications seem to be necessary to get these to work so I'll explore that too. It worries me to read from your experience that you couldn't find anything on the topic anywhere. Sad
But its good to see some one else aiming for the same so I'll do it and let you know how things work out. You share what you find. Thanks!
Rickirs (OP)

View Profile
December 18, 2017, 06:45:16 PM

Well..

now I know things about this card.. but still its an issue for me , I am not using it in my rig currently as now my xubuntu is not able to see it but I am able to hash at 29Mh/s in windows with it.

Continued: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2567650.msg26438909#msg26438909
amishmanish
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1158

View Profile
December 21, 2017, 05:54:02 PM

Well..

now I know things about this card.. but still its an issue for me , I am not using it in my rig currently as now my xubuntu is not able to see it but I am able to hash at 29Mh/s in windows with it.

Continued: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=2567650.msg26438909#msg26438909

Got down to business with the Asus Radeon RX580 OC8 GB finally. This is my first experience mining so i started with trying the stock bios and latest drivers. As testified in so many other places at the forum, they suck.
Followed the nice instructions given here by Matthev: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1954245.0 to get to around 26 MH/s with Memory clock at 2000 MHz.
I then used the OverdirveNT tool to set Memory to 2150Mhz and its going at 30 to 30.5.
I'll leave it overnight and wait for those temperatures to stabilize.

Next comes underclocking and undervolting for which i need to read more. This is a fun thing to do. Hoping to setup the mining thing quickly and then get down to learning other stuff.

Sorry this is nothing on Linux, all on Windows. Will update with my experience later.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: