Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 07:10:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Someone is spamming the blockchain  (Read 7768 times)
CIYAM
Legendary

Activity: 1890
Merit: 1078

Ian Knowles - CIYAM Lead Developer

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 04:11:58 PM

So in summary (perhaps) if you have 300 BTC you can "spam the blockchain" with such small tx's no worries.

I guess that as not so many people have 300 BTC to do so (or to risk on a bot that may malfunction) then this is not really a pressing issue (just an interesting observation thanks to the OP having noticed it).

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

GPG Public Key | 1ciyam3htJit1feGa26p2wQ4aw6KFTejU

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nottm28

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:14:49 PM

If they want to do it every 3 blocks, they might want to make sure the transactions won't have trouble getting through in case 3 blocks are mined rather quickly after each other.  Or, they just had 300 BTC handy that they didn't want to split up.  Or.... ??

If I sat there using online banking to transfer money from one account to another over and over - my bank would put a hold on my account. I think there should be a way to prevent this. This one person is unlikely to have any effect but if the bot-net dickheads get hold of it...

donations not accepted
meekstav876

Activity: 28
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:52:15 PM

If hes paying fee's theres nothing wrong with it.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 04:53:57 PM

If they want to do it every 3 blocks, they might want to make sure the transactions won't have trouble getting through in case 3 blocks are mined rather quickly after each other.  Or, they just had 300 BTC handy that they didn't want to split up.  Or.... ??

If I sat there using online banking to transfer money from one account to another over and over - my bank would put a hold on my account. I think there should be a way to prevent this. This one person is unlikely to have any effect but if the bot-net dickheads get hold of it...
There is no way to prevent it besides changing the fee structure.  300 BTC is enough that it could be sent in every block without a fee.
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 04:55:05 PM

If hes paying fee's theres nothing wrong with it.

He is not paying fees - otherwise the topic would not even be here.

With CIYAM anyone can create 100% generated C++ web applications in literally minutes.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 07:46:09 PM

Dear Ian (and TradeFortress)!

Please do us all a favor and stop responding to the spammy one-liners from the accounts that post only to be able to send further spam in private messages.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=253190.0

If you see an one-liner just click on the user name and check the last posts of the user before you reply.

Thanks in advance.
If everyone did this then the blockchain would end up 1000s of times bigger than it is - and how is it totally normal to send your BTC to one address and back to the original address every single block?
He is not paying fees - otherwise the topic would not even be here.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
Bacon9504A

Activity: 22
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 10, 2013, 08:16:13 PM

Not spamming!
Bro

Activity: 218
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:38:31 AM

Perhaps someone plans to offer a BTC investment vehicle to potential non-technical investors and wants to provide them other "good data" beyond just exchange pricing. That entity could simply point to the sheer number of bitcoins transferred through the network as an "indicator" of its increased usage, knowing the average person wouldn't investigate the blockchain itself for something like this.

could be that or just someone holding lots of BTCs trying to make transaction statistics look good

or someone calibrating his script or measuring something in the network (confirmation time vs time)?
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 10:43:03 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2013, 11:06:22 AM by CIYAM Open

If you see an one-liner just click on the user name and check the last posts of the user before you reply.

You instructions are duly noted and kindly don't refer to me as "dear" in the future (I am not now nor ever will be "your dear" Smiley).

WiW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 12:54:47 PM

They're just f***ing with you for the lulz. They're attention whores from 4chan and y'all just eating up the bait.
ArpFlush

Activity: 623

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 01:42:20 PM

when you click on the icon next to "one chinese sb which love 8", you get an error message:
ERROR: Address ledger is extremely large. Contact me if you really need the data.

"Panic Selling is not an Investment Strategy"
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1001

https://www.zebpay.com

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 01:49:02 PM

when you click on the icon next to "one chinese sb which love 8", you get an error message:
ERROR: Address ledger is extremely large. Contact me if you really need the data.

That is theymos for you Wink

Cheers

Download Zebpay Fastest way to Buy / Sell Bitcoins in India
Transaction processing within one working day and best bitcoin rates | Recharge airtime & buy vouchers of Amazon, Flipkart, Domino's at great discounts
buysellbitcoin
Legendary

Activity: 1105
Merit: 1001

https://www.zebpay.com

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 01:52:22 PM

That is theymos for you Wink

Cheers

lol, and when I looked up for sb I got below :

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=SB

SB. noun. (pl. same) also,S13 Comes from a Chinese words. Pronounces Sha bi,means "Stupid Bitch".

Cheers

Download Zebpay Fastest way to Buy / Sell Bitcoins in India
Transaction processing within one working day and best bitcoin rates | Recharge airtime & buy vouchers of Amazon, Flipkart, Domino's at great discounts
nottm28

Activity: 574

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 01:52:50 PM

I googled his payment address and found these:

https://plus.google.com/communities/111634010372327591643/stream/350db628-910e-45ca-83e3-c01a7f31bdb8

Looks like his name is Kevin Yuan (on google+)

and he likes satoshi dice...

http://www.satoshidice.com/full.php?tx=1a11bfc12b103254b582c13d0bd4527dde82908d8e2561b6d6573e9141925db6

http://www.coin500.com/report/active.html

[EDIT] googled for this 15Z4XmorKSN51ndyPrZ2EtL7Nnksb88888

donations not accepted
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 02:00:25 PM

SB. noun. (pl. same) also,S13 Comes from a Chinese words. Pronounces Sha bi,means "Stupid Bitch".

Actually "bi" is the term for female genitalia so that is perhaps a more polite translation of the actual meaning (but yes - not to be used in front of strangers if you are in China).

I can see the attraction of using "stupid bitch" though (as it makes more sense to a westerner being SB and is probably the more equivalent expression used in the west).

SRoulette

Activity: 364
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 02:02:01 PM

we were going to run into this problem sooner or later, script allows for data to be stored in the blockchain, however since there is currently no incentive to hold the blockchain (fees being paid to hold it), eventually we'll run into serious storage problems enhanced by using the blockchain for storage, my companies design is looking at that seriously and we're currently trying to figure out a method that will keep bloat down to a minimum while maintaining a DDOS proof account ledger.

short answer is no 0 btc fees, which I would happily support.

Legendary

Activity: 2128
Merit: 1068

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 02:13:14 PM

You instructions are duly noted and kindly don't refer to me as "dear" in the future (I am not now nor ever will be "your dear" Smiley).
I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. I just wanted to distinguish my post from the other as being a meta-post that is off-topic literally but on-topic morally.

I addressed you because I know you are a native English speaker living in a country where few people speak English. You probably set your linguistic threshold really low before you consider some statement sincere and intelligent.

I'm in an opposite situation and additionally in the past I had an experience of having to instruct first-line sales- and tech-support people in the art of recognizing time-wasters that try to finagle a freebie. Thus my linguistic threshold is diametraly opposite.

We can only guess what is the motivation of somebody moving Bitcoins to and fro.

On the other hand on this forum there's no need to guess, just read the Meta subforum. The moderators and administrators are slowly loosing control of this forum to the slow-spammers that make incisive posts, one-liners or otherwise. That the 3 accounts that posted spam in this thread were not deleted is the proof.

I understand trying to be helpful to newbies, but please administer a passive Turing test on one or two pages of the past posts of an unknown user before posing a reply. It will make our forum more friendly to the regular users and deter the spammers.

Please comment, critique, criticize or ridicule BIP 2112: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=54382.0
Long-term mining prognosis: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=91101.0
CIYAM
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 02:18:32 PM
Last edit: July 11, 2013, 02:31:25 PM by CIYAM Open

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to offend you in any way. I just wanted to distinguish my post from the other as being a meta-post that is off-topic literally but on-topic morally.

Your post was more than a touch patronising (to any native English speaker I think) and if you *care to read my post history* then you'll see I have rarely wasted my time posting replies to spammers (and I have never posted for the sake of posting even before the new rating system was introduced).

I did acknowledge to TradeFortress my mistake with the one particular post (I tend to assume that most posts are legit but of course every now and then I can make a mistake as we all do from time to time I would think) - so I think you can just *trust* me to do the right thing rather than give me a lecture thanks all the same.

Also whether I reply or not to a "spam" post for the sake of sending PMs doesn't stop the person from sending PMs (and if their post is reported and removed then they will not be able to send PMs regardless of their post being quoted so I am in no way helping them).

Of course this post is totally OT - so perhaps we could get back to discussing the OP or maybe this topic has run its course (I think I am about ready for the "unwatch" click).

WiW

Activity: 277
Merit: 250

"The public is stupid, hence the public will pay"

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 04:28:58 PM

Zero fee trasactions should be banned. Under all scenarios possible, sending 300 BTC should cost more in transaction fees than sending less BTC.
In real world, we already have fucked-up monetary system that favours rich over poor, do we want the same or similar system online as well? No.

Right, so who gets to decide this? YOU? Why don't you just let the people processing the transactions deal with this, okay?

Or better yet, go mine and decide for yourself which transactions get into blocks and which don't.

Stop bitching.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:20:18 PM

we were going to run into this problem sooner or later, script allows for data to be stored in the blockchain, however since there is currently no incentive to hold the blockchain (fees being paid to hold it), eventually we'll run into serious storage problems enhanced by using the blockchain for storage, my companies design is looking at that seriously and we're currently trying to figure out a method that will keep bloat down to a minimum while maintaining a DDOS proof account ledger.

short answer is no 0 btc fees, which I would happily support.

+1

Zero fee trasactions should be banned. Under all scenarios possible, sending 300 BTC should cost more in transaction fees than sending less BTC.
In real world, we already have fucked-up monetary system that favours rich over poor, do we want the same or similar system online as well? No.
The purpose of fees is to limit spam, not to create an advantage/disadvantage of the rich vs poor.  If you want to "even it out", then simply require a fee that grow linearly with how much room the transaction takes.  Say, 1 satoshi for every byte of room on the blockchain, or something.
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: