Bitcoin Forum
May 18, 2024, 10:46:37 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I'm proud of the foundation  (Read 2873 times)
charleshoskinson (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1008

CEO of IOHK

View Profile WWW
July 10, 2013, 07:07:38 AM

The recent announcement of Jon Matonis stepping up as the executive director has made me proud of the foundation for a change. I think he will do an excellent job and his agenda is perfect for the task at hand.

http://themonetaryfuture.blogspot.com/

The revolution begins with the mind and ends with the heart. Knowledge for all, accessible to all and shared by all
jbreher
Legendary

Activity: 3038
Merit: 1660

lose: unfind ... loose: untight

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:16:40 AM

The recent announcement of Jon Matonis stepping up as the executive director has made me proud of the foundation for a change.

Setting a proper tone:

The bursting of Bitcoin technology on the scene at this time in history is not a mere  coincidence. It is a reaction to three separate epochal developments largely emanating from the developed economies: (1) centralized and oppressive monetary authority (2) a dominant and complicit legacy banking system, and (3) the eradication of financial privacy.

Future generations will not be very forgiving if the Foundation fails in its mission to standardize and protect Bitcoin worldwide. The youth of today, including the youth of the legislative and ruling classes, certainly grasp this movement and the demographics clearly bear that out. Choice in currency is the free speech of commerce.

And Charles, I must say, I'm almost surprised to see you make nice with TBF.

Anyone with a campaign ad in their signature -- for an organization with which they are not otherwise affiliated -- is automatically deducted credibility points.

I've been convicted of heresy. Convicted by a mere known extortionist. Read my Trust for details.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 07:56:40 AM

The recent announcement of Jon Matonis stepping up as the executive director

Is he now? Excellent. Time to destroy his Forbes "career". I'm off trophy hunting. Toodles, dudes and dudettes.
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 08:19:02 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, go fuck yourselves, you're nothing more than a wannabe Federal Reserve.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 08:22:29 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again, go fuck yourselves, you're nothing more than a wannabe Federal Reserve.
Yes, because the Bitcoin Foundation totally issues currency.

Disclaimer: Inputs.io is a silver member.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 08:24:51 AM

They would if they could, I'm glad the Bitcoin developers aren't really paying attention to them lol this is why I'm also accepting Litecoin just in case.
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 08:45:52 AM

Yes, because the Bitcoin Foundation totally issues currency.

Disclaimer: Inputs.io is a silver member.

Hey, isn't that what the California Department of Financial Institutions always said? They just knew it!

Disclaimer: qwk is a lifetime member and fooling around.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 09:45:34 AM

They would if they could, I'm glad the Bitcoin developers aren't really paying attention to them lol this is why I'm also accepting Litecoin just in case.

The Bitcoin developers aren't paying attention to them? Roll Eyes
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:06:32 AM
Last edit: July 11, 2013, 10:18:07 AM by Bitware

The Bitcoin Foundation controls the Bitcoin source code and has placed itself as the defacto decider in all things concerning the Bitcoin source code, therefore all things blockchain, all things the Bitcoin network, all things Bitcoin.

Historically, Foundations have awesome public agendas, but internally they are often clandestine and greed and ideologically based ... hidden agenda driven, and the people they allow through their turnstyles to "serve" are all the same in that they agree with the end game  goals of the Foundation.

Is there more to know?

We may never know.

What we DO know is that The Bitcoin Foundation goes against Satoshi's dream of no-trust-needed and complete decentralization, because TBF controls Bitcoin and its source, and I believe it can easily be proven in a court of law.
Lethn
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 10:26:18 AM

Well fuck me I didn't know about that, makes me several times as glad that Bitcoin was made open source.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:48:20 AM

The Bitcoin Foundation controls the Bitcoin source code and has placed itself as the defacto decider in all things concerning the Bitcoin source code, therefore all things blockchain, all things the Bitcoin network, all things Bitcoin.

Historically, Foundations have awesome public agendas, but internally they are often clandestine and greed and ideologically based ... hidden agenda driven, and the people they allow through their turnstyles to "serve" are all the same in that they agree with the end game  goals of the Foundation.

Is there more to know?

We may never know.

What we DO know is that The Bitcoin Foundation goes against Satoshi's dream of no-trust-needed and complete decentralization, because TBF controls Bitcoin and its source, and I believe it can easily be proven in a court of law.

Exactly.

In addition to that - even assuming that the TBF would live up to the highest moral standards, it easily serves as a gateway for governmental control. By publishing their names and forming an official body in the US - a country which uses highly questionable methods to preserve reason of state - they can easily be forced to implement anything.

Satoshi had a reason to stay anonymous. When it comes to preservation of power, most governments tend to forget human rights or what's written in their very own constitution.
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

👻

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:05:35 AM

Is there more to know?

We may never know.

The foundation may control the github repository of bitcoind/bitcoin-qt, however they do not control Bitcoin. If they have decided to give themselves 1 million coins or whatever, no one will use and people will fork in true open source fashion.
IIOII
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1012

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:16:09 AM

The foundation may control the github repository of bitcoind/bitcoin-qt, however they do not control Bitcoin. If they have decided to give themselves 1 million coins or whatever, no one will use and people will fork in true open source fashion.

This is naive. Of course they would not do the obvious. But for a group of knowledgable persons it is easy to implement some "errors" that go unnoticed long enough to inflict serious damage.

Only a tiny fraction of all bitcoin users is able to understand the source code. And of this tiny fraction only few do actually verify it.
Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:23:18 AM

The recent announcement of Jon Matonis stepping up as the executive director has made me proud of the foundation for a change. I think he will do an excellent job and his agenda is perfect for the task at hand.

All this sounds like an apparatchik's speech in support of the beloved party and the beloved leadership.
AliceWonder

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:30:03 AM

This is naive. Of course they would not do the obvious. But for a group of knowledgable persons it is easy to implement some "errors" that go unnoticed long enough to inflict serious damage.

Only a tiny fraction of all bitcoin users is able to understand the source code. And of this tiny fraction only few do actually verify it.

git is a revision control system.
Who made what changes that were devious would be recorded and changes to the code are scrutinized.

Maybe with an un-popular alt-coin it could happen, but I highly doubt in a project as globally popular as bitcoin that it would go un-noticed.

QuarkCoin - what I believe bitcoin was intended to be. On reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/QuarkCoin/
qwk
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 3542
Merit: 3411

Shitcoin Minimalist

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:34:39 AM

All this sounds like an apparatchik's speech in support of the beloved party and the beloved leadership.

So does this:
What we DO know is that The Bitcoin Foundation goes against Satoshi's dream of no-trust-needed and complete decentralization

Satoshi is no god. His little software was not perfect from the beginning. He did not come down from the mountain with 10 golden rules engraved in stone for no one to question.

We need people to further develop the software, the protocol, the application and everyday use of Bitcoin. People, and that's what the Foundation is made of.

Yeah, well, I'm gonna go build my own blockchain. With blackjack and hookers! In fact forget the blockchain.
Liquid

Activity: 826
Merit: 500

Crypto Somnium

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:46:06 AM

[quote/]Satoshi is no god. His little software was not perfect from the beginning. He did not come down from the mountain with 10 golden rules engraved in stone for no one to question.

We need people to further develop the software, the protocol, the application and everyday use of Bitcoin. People, and that's what the Foundation is made of.
[/quote]

+1

Bitcoin will show the world what hard money really is.
bitcool
Legendary

Activity: 1441

Live and enjoy experiments

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:53:04 AM

Bitcoin Movement, this will soon be an entry in Wikipedia.

He gets it, bitcoin is not only a techno tour de force, it's a movement.

It's a global revolution by people demanding monetary democracy.

Personal financial gains should have never been the primary goal for its participants.
Loozik

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

Born to chew bubble gum and kick ass

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:57:50 AM

It's a global revolution by people demanding monetary democracy.

Not anarchy?
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 12:08:00 PM

good to have Litecoin as backup  Shocked

Pages: [1] 2 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: