Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 10:44:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin and Bitcoin forks  (Read 307 times)
787875 (OP)

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:07:22 PM

Hello,

I'm a bit confused about the whole Bitcoin hard forks and up coming forks.

As i understand it Bitcoin got Segwit but few supports it, why? This was big news and what i thought was going to make Bitcoin better/faster. Sadly Bitcoin is the same as before all the forks. Lightning network and other updates can be implanted to Bitcoin but that is not available right now, so why not start with using Segwit?

I thought we were going to have 3 hard forks. Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold and Segwit 2x. I recently heard of Bitcoin Diamond, Bitcoin God. Anyone can create a coin but can anyone also give Bitcoin holder "free money"?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
AdolfinWolf
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1427

View Profile
December 06, 2017, 04:33:56 PM
Last edit: December 06, 2017, 04:50:53 PM by AdolfinWolf

Hello,

As i understand it Bitcoin got Segwit but few supports it, why? This was big news and what i thought was going to make Bitcoin better/faster. Sadly Bitcoin is the same as before all the forks. Lightning network and other updates can be implanted to Bitcoin but that is not available right now, so why not start with using Segwit?

I thought we were going to have 3 hard forks. Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold and Segwit 2x. I recently heard of Bitcoin Diamond, Bitcoin God. Anyone can create a coin but can anyone also give Bitcoin holder "free money"?

The reason that the segwit2X fork got called off was simply because there was no dev team that could really make segwit2X work, or wanted to put time in it, and ontop of that a lack of general consensus/ community behind it. ( Something that bitcoin cash does kind of have)

This explains it quite nicely https://bravenewcoin.com/news/segwit2x-hard-fork-abandoned-what-happened-and-why/

787875 (OP)

Activity: 75

View Profile
December 08, 2017, 10:06:16 PM

Hello,

The reason that the segwit2X fork got called off was simply because there was no dev team that could really make segwit2X work, or wanted to put time in it, and ontop of that a lack of general consensus/ community behind it. ( Something that bitcoin cash does kind of have)

This explains it quite nicely https://bravenewcoin.com/news/segwit2x-hard-fork-abandoned-what-happened-and-why/

Yes i know why Segwit2X was called off.

Sorry, English in not my main language, i was more interested in the follwing:

I recently heard of Bitcoin Diamond, Bitcoin God. Anyone can create a coin but can anyone also give Bitcoin holder "free money"?
COTInetwork

Activity: 426

Coti - Currency Of The Internet

View Profile WWW
December 09, 2017, 04:43:29 PM

Basically what to keep in mind is that as long their is no majority consensus in the BTC core community there will be forks now and in the future. Splinter groups and what not with their own idea on how BTC should be.

Boseda

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 05:39:35 PM

Hello,

Yes, anyone can fork the Bitcoin chain and make a new coin (a.k.a. split). So, in short, yes, if you have Bitcoin at the moment of the fork, you can claim the altcoin coming out from the fork after that. But in order to do it you need to have full control of your private keys. Also, there could be some exchanges which do all the process automatically on their own.
dongamk

Activity: 154
Merit: 14

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 06:43:45 AM

Inform yourself regarding all upcoming bitcoin forks from: http://cryptocurrencyfacts.com/2017/12/05/upcoming-bitcoin-forks-2017-2018/
dxbcoin

Activity: 280
Merit: 12

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 08:28:34 AM

Why do we fork to different BTC? Bc we arent happy with BTC? Why everyone can fork?
elnino7

Activity: 69
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 05:32:41 PM

so in the meanwhile nobody figured a safe and simple way to get our forks? like superbitcoin and whatever else forked in December?
Alartonicus

Activity: 87

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:18:47 PM

so in the meanwhile nobody figured a safe and simple way to get our forks? like superbitcoin and whatever else forked in December?
Getting the BCH was safe. They just made a wallet.dat compatible with btc. To get bch on a cold wallet nothing had to be done
gtr28

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 06, 2018, 06:29:12 PM

Why do we fork to different BTC? Bc we arent happy with BTC? Why everyone can fork?

Whether you love or hate Bitcoin Cash, Bitcoin Gold or anything which mentioned in the above main post, i think now it’s important to understand what each fork is and what it wants to accomplish.
gisselleny

Activity: 6

View Profile
January 07, 2018, 02:19:52 PM

Hello,

Yes, anyone can fork the Bitcoin chain and make a new coin (a.k.a. split). So, in short, yes, if you have Bitcoin at the moment of the fork, you can claim the altcoin coming out from the fork after that. But in order to do it you need to have full control of your private keys. Also, there could be some exchanges which do all the process automatically on their own.

This whole "forking" business has me a little confused. Not so much the why but more how do I claim the new "forked" coins. It is my understanding that I should get as many of the new coins as I have of the original BTC. What confuses me is...

A. Can I claim the new "forked" coin if I am using a Paper wallet (with private keys)?
B. How do I go about claiming the "forked" coin using my paper wallet?

I never really wanted to trust exchanges to keep my Crypto Currencies in their online wallets. It scares me. I feel more in control when I can log my computer off the internet, generate a key for a paper wallet, and send my coins from the exchange to the wallet. I do this as soon as I can. When I'm done trading the coin it goes to my paper wallet FAST. Call me crazy but I think it's the safest way to keep from getting hacked.
So, anyway.... Does anyone have any experience in claiming coins from a BitCoin Fork??? The sites I look at for the new coins created by the fork don't say anything about how to get said coins.

Thoughts???
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: