Bitcoin Forum
June 17, 2024, 05:58:45 AM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Is my analysis accurate? (current situation, not my predictions)
Financial Whizz Kid - 14 (13.9%)
Mostly correct - 21 (20.8%)
Disagree with your analysis - 21 (20.8%)
Not even close - 26 (25.7%)
Undecided - 19 (18.8%)
Total Voters: 101

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Simple reason for the price spike... why this weekend's dip will be deep  (Read 3286 times)
massivebitman (OP)

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 10:33:48 AM

The value of the USD dropped!

Let me tell you a story.
Once upon a time in bitcoin land we were sitting on the fence at around $79/BTC, a big $600k wall stood in between us and the 80s.. Then BOOM! Ben Bernanke drops the bomb, America ain't doing so well after all...

The USD plummets, shedding 2%. But nothings happened to our bitcoins, the fundamentals are still strong, they are still as intangible as ever..

So bitcoin is worth exactly the same, but the USD is not. In fact at the current prices for the USD, BTC should easily be worth $80.6.

Only one problem there's a massive $600k sell wall at 80.... Actually, that's not a problem at all... In fact it's great news!! A massive opportunity, that means I can buy coins at 60c under what should be the value...

Wooosh lets buy up those cheap coins!!

Speculator... "Woah what's going on here... somebody just bought straight through that wall... They must know something... BUY BUY BUY"

More speculators "BUY BUY BUY"

$90/BTC!!!

Where to from here?

Has this little event driven up the price of BTC for good? Or are we going to see a massive splashdown in this weekends dip?

My bet is the 90 wall is going to hold, and people will start pulling their coins once the big fish who are keyed in on this kind of thing do.

PerfectAgent

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

Still the Best 1973

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 12:20:58 PM

Also, a general rule of thumb is that any sudden or very rapid price change will face a correction. It happened with the huge slide down, and it'll happen with the big increase now.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle
BTC Address: 14qkEkmoWQbgF4EMB6F5m8p3LU1D8UK32D ||||||||||| NMC Address: N8xv7xXnLnRgSvQCRK9vwndsH2HBAifs3C
600watt
Legendary

Activity: 2338
Merit: 2106

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 02:31:00 PM

The value of the USD dropped!

Let me tell you a story.
Once upon a time in bitcoin land we were sitting on the fence at around $79/BTC, a big $600k wall stood in between us and the 80s.. Then BOOM! Ben Bernanke drops the bomb, America ain't doing so well after all...

The USD plummets, shedding 2%. But nothings happened to our bitcoins, the fundamentals are still strong, they are still as intangible as ever..

So bitcoin is worth exactly the same, but the USD is not. In fact at the current prices for the USD, BTC should easily be worth $80.6.

Only one problem there's a massive $600k sell wall at 80.... Actually, that's not a problem at all... In fact it's great news!! A massive opportunity, that means I can buy coins at 60c under what should be the value...

Wooosh lets buy up those cheap coins!!

Speculator... "Woah what's going on here... somebody just bought straight through that wall... They must know something... BUY BUY BUY"

$90/BTC!!!

Where to from here?

Has this little event driven up the price of BTC for good? Or are we going to see a massive splashdown in this weekends dip?

My bet is the 90 wall is going to hold, and people will start pulling their coins once the big fish who are keyed in on this kind of thing do.

hm... bitcoin has risen versus all other currencies as well.
JimboToronto
Legendary

Activity: 4032
Merit: 4569

You're never too old to think young.

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 02:51:38 PM

bitcoin has risen versus all other currencies as well.

Bingo.

This isn't about USD. It's all about BTC.

BTC was undervalued due to USA government/MtGox problems. The market corrected itself.
massivebitman (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 03:40:19 PM

bitcoin has risen versus all other currencies as well.

Bingo.

This isn't about USD. It's all about BTC.

BTC was undervalued due to USA government/MtGox problems. The market corrected itself.

Of course it had, because the wall collapsed so people started buying. End result BTC up higher than it should be in all currencies.

See if the % rise is equivalent to the Euro, it shouldn't be. USD % rise should be higher.

MAbtc

Activity: 826
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 04:59:22 PM

any sudden or very rapid price change will face a correction. It happened with the huge slide down, and it'll happen with the big increase now.
This. Nothing to do with USD at all, methinks. Also, the push from 76 to 90 was put into motion with a single whale's 6k+ market order + xk (2k+?) bid wall -- makes the rally feel a tad artificial, don't it?
damiano
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000

103 days, 21 hours and 10 minutes.

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:16:34 PM

I wouldn't doubt a big whale shit this weekend.  I'm actually betting on it.

BitChick
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1001

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:33:04 PM

I think those that bought at around $70 are lucky at this point.  Prices will stabilize at around $90 and then steadily go up from there.  That is my prediction anyways.

1BitcHiCK1iRa6YVY6qDqC6M594RBYLNPo
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 05:47:16 PM

BTC was really oversold so a snap back rally isn't surprising.  This is a key area of resistance worth watching, a break above $100 would be very bullish but I put greater odds on a break downwards.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
bronco

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:00:59 PM

bitcoin undervalued? nobody knows real price. to me it worth few grams of weed , thats all
FNG

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 06:35:41 PM

Coincidental. Remember when a huge buy wall set-off the downtrend?  It's sort of like that, but in reverse. The market reacts (idiotically) to big players. There was no reason to shit itself when a big holder took advantage of a big "buy wall" Now the market reacts to a buyer in a "sell wall"

Big money hasn't even joined yet so it's kinda funny watching huge reactions over $1 mil or so on either side
GigaDice

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:18:59 PM

Also, a general rule of thumb is that any sudden or very rapid price change will face a correction. It happened with the huge slide down, and it'll happen with the big increase now.
Can't agree more with you, I foresee the price of bitcoins to correct itself pretty soon. I'm still waiting on BTC to drop below $70 before I buy again.
rampantparanoia

Activity: 516
Merit: 283

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 10:22:40 PM

Can't agree more with you, I foresee the price of bitcoins to correct itself pretty soon. I'm still waiting on BTC to drop below $70 before I buy again.

+1... wheres my fitty?
massivebitman (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 11, 2013, 11:13:04 PM

I wouldn't doubt a big whale shit this weekend.  I'm actually betting on it.

It's really a great time to shit. Price is the best it's been in a week.

kingcrimson
Legendary

Activity: 1025
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:37:55 PM

you seem to be ignoring the rapid price change from $100 down to $70, which is correcting back to the norm now that speculators window is closing. I believe the next course is $100-$120 which is the natural range. especially with mtgox USD withdrawals coming back, winklevii ETF and mtgox's new platform.

PerfectAgent

Still the Best 1973

View Profile
July 11, 2013, 11:50:40 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2013, 12:16:33 AM by PerfectAgent

you seem to be ignoring the rapid price change from $100 down to $70, which is correcting back to the norm now that speculators window is closing. I believe the next course is $100-$120 which is the natural range. especially with mtgox USD withdrawals coming back, winklevii ETF and mtgox's new platform.

The sudden drop is exactly what I'm talking about. Huge sudden changes are unsustainable in either direction. The same will happen to the sudden increase as it happened to the sudden drop.

░▒▓█ Coinroll.it - 1% House Edge Dice Game █▓▒░ • Coinroll Thread • *FREE* 100 BTC Raffle
BTC Address: 14qkEkmoWQbgF4EMB6F5m8p3LU1D8UK32D ||||||||||| NMC Address: N8xv7xXnLnRgSvQCRK9vwndsH2HBAifs3C
massivebitman (OP)

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 12:14:04 AM

Yeah that's a good point, but we've been seeing progressively lower peaks and lower lows. My guess is the trend is still down and that the $100-$120 is reaching a bit far atm

frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 01:00:28 AM

bitcoin undervalued? nobody knows real price. to me it worth few grams of weed , thats all

few grams = 8th = street value around 50 bucks...therefore your speculation postulates approximately 50 USD per 1 BTC. 

Clarification for readers in cyberspace

XXthetimeisnowXX

a wolf in sheeps clothing. suckerfish

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 01:40:54 AM

the big increase?!?!!?!?!?! we go up a few bucks and you think its a big increase. ha i remember we would see ten dollar gains in an hour. callit now then we will see about 140-150 in two weeks.
PerfectAgent

Still the Best 1973

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 01:58:59 AM

60dollars to 90, id saythats' quite the inrfase increase. But the decrease was also rather sharp. Something done in this time period is sharp, no matter the market. This is why BTC is volatile, where price changes are this quick. Don't mistake me though, I mmam iam a longterm bull though.

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: