Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 03:57:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Change Bitcoin SHA-256 to SCRYPT  (Read 5847 times)
stdset

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:44:37 AM

It is srypt altcoins, who should worry, that somebody privately develops a scrypt asic and shuts them all down.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
It is a common myth that Bitcoin is ruled by a majority of miners. This is not true. Bitcoin miners "vote" on the ordering of transactions, but that's all they do. They can't vote to change the network rules.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:03:51 AM

Quick question:

Why is taking hashing power away from botnet operators and putting it in the hands of hardware owners a bad thing? 

jl2012
Legendary

Activity: 1792
Merit: 1093

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:06:55 AM

A security researcher has predicted SHA 256 will be cracked this year.  When that happens the algorithm may change.

Cite?  There are not even any "academic attacks" against SHA-2 at this time.  An academic attacking being a method which is faster than brute force but still computationally infeasible to exploit in the real world.

Just nonsense. The blockchain is still safe even it uses MD5(MD5()). The difficulty will adjust.

Actually, a weakened SHA256 gives advantage to GPU mining because ASICs are not programmable.

Donation address: 374iXxS4BuqFHsEwwxUuH3nvJ69Y7Hqur3 (Bitcoin ONLY)
LRDGENPLYrcTRssGoZrsCT1hngaH3BVkM4 (LTC)
PGP: D3CC 1772 8600 5BB8 FF67 3294 C524 2A1A B393 6517
Zangelbert Bingledack
Legendary

Activity: 1036
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:40:53 AM

Before the Internet, experts were experts. You usually only ever heard a security expert talk about security, an economist talk about economics, or a physicist talk about physics.

Now experts still get audience, same as before, but they can talk about anything. Yet we still have the impression that experts are always reliable, since back when they only spoke about things in their field they generally were. The result is they make a lot more mistakes, and sometimes people get misguided because they trusted the expert.

This is most apparent when non-economists who have no understanding of economics speak on a subject that, unbeknownst to them, actually requires a solid understanding of economics.
arnuschky

Activity: 517
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:31:28 AM

I don't see the point of all the people that complain about Bitcoin mining on SHA-256 is overspecialized etc. I think it's actually a necessary requirement for stability.

Just imagine that we would change to hash function X (be it SCRYPT or whatever). Immediately, the arms race would start again from the beginning, just as we see it with Litecoin now. People would develop GPU miners, then FPGA, then ASICs. It does not make sense to re-start this arms race every time, because it bring a lot of insecurity and instability to the currency.

In the end, a currency that does not has reached the ASIC-stage yet always runs the risk of someone developing an ASIC and using it to get control over the network. With Bitcoin, we're close to the end of development. There are ASICs, but they are spread out among many entities, vendors and miners. There is progression, but we're getting close to the end of playing catch-up with the rest of the technological development of chips: we're close to the end, and the advancement of mining speeds will slow down. It's a really good thing that we've got to ASICs already. No surprises.
frankenmint
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1018

HoneybadgerOfMoney.com Weed4bitcoin.com

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 09:45:42 AM

What would it take to get the algo changed from SHA-256 to Scrypt?

Jazkal= pissed off from the fact that he's 3 years late.  I think myself and everyone else who bought into asics hardware would be up in arms  if that happens.  Likely BTC falls out of prominence and PPC becomes the Reining Champ - thus keeping the sha256 dominance maintained.  If you can't read into that there was bits of sarcasm peppered into the statement above.

happygeorge

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

In da Jungle!

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:07:57 AM

I think Let's Talk Bitcoin covered the issue pretty well in Episodes 21 and 22. I've had the same beliefs for some time, and with the way the ASIC world is going, it is playing out. If the community doesn't step up and make the change, or at least have an open discussion on the issue, I see Bitcoin dead in less than a year.

I am following not only these threads, but also this bet:

http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1432

I'm betting you are right... in the sense that there will be a change sometime before the end of the year. Smiley
happygeorge

Activity: 146
Merit: 100

In da Jungle!

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:09:34 AM

What would it take to get the algo changed from SHA-256 to Scrypt?

Jazkal= pissed off from the fact that he's 3 years late.  I think myself and everyone else who bought into asics hardware would be up in arms  if that happens.  Likely BTC falls out of prominence and PPC becomes the Reining Champ - thus keeping the sha256 dominance maintained.  If you can't read into that there was bits of sarcasm peppered into the statement above.

I think people's investment into GPU mining is still an order of magnitude higher... although, as far as I know Scrypt is GPU unfriendly, so who the heck knows!

Maybe some new G-scrypt will be invented Wink
jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:15:36 PM

A security researcher has predicted SHA 256 will be cracked this year.  When that happens the algorithm may change.

Cite?  There are not even any "academic attacks" against SHA-2 at this time.  An academic attacking being a method which is faster than brute force but still computationally infeasible to exploit in the real world.

https://mobile.twitter.com/jgarzik/status/336218499938668544
Jazkal (OP)

Activity: 319
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 12:52:08 PM

Jazkal= pissed off from the fact that he's 3 years late.  I think myself and everyone else who bought into asics hardware would be up in arms  if that happens.
I'm sorry you didn't take the time to read.

As I stated above, I've been in the game since 2011, don't see how that is "3 years late". And if you had read, you would see I have invested into ASICs, so I am not just a GPU farmer, I have the greater good of Bitcoin in mind for these discussions, not just some stick in the mud that is upset the tech has gotten ahead of him.
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 01:22:14 PM

I personally think that ASIC minning was innevitble and only hurts those that dont have them. But once everyone has them, well, something better will come out. It just further secures the chain.

Changing to scrypt.. Well mine FRK's  Grin

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
oleganza

Activity: 200
Merit: 104

Software design and user experience.

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 02:24:06 PM

If Bitcoin was using scrypt from the start, you won't escape from ASICs. Just accept that people will optimize mining and there is nothing you can do about it. Like in every social organisation there are leaders, runner-ups and outsiders. Bitcoin is no exception. Communism never works. I, for instance, couldn't care less about mining BTC myself and don't see a problem with some bunch of guys having 70% of hashing power. Those who are interested in preserving the value of their coins would strive to process transactions "fairly" and distribute mining hardware as wide as possible.

Bitcoin analytics: blog.oleganza.com / 1TipsuQ7CSqfQsjA9KU5jarSB1AnrVLLo
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 02:37:06 PM

A security researcher has predicted SHA 256 will be cracked this year.  When that happens the algorithm may change.

In that case the algorithm will get changed... pretty much overnight. You can bet all your coins on that.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 02:52:30 PM

Cite?  There are not even any "academic attacks" against SHA-2 at this time.  An academic attacking being a method which is faster than brute force but still computationally infeasible to exploit in the real world.

Not sure if you can't read or you think this says something it doesn't.  Nothing in there about SHA-2 being compromised this year.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 03:29:50 PM

A security researcher has predicted SHA 256 will be cracked this year.  When that happens the algorithm may change.

Not sure if you can't read or you think this says something it doesn't.  Nothing in there about SHA-2 being compromised this year.

I am tired of doing research for other people.  I dont have to prove anything too anyone.  Esp on my mobile phone.

Then stop being tired.  Nobody asked you to do any research.  You made an unsubstantiated claim.  When asked for a cite you linked to something completely unsupporting.

I will take your claim of SHA-2 being broken this year (as if such a thing is even predictable) as utter nonsense.  See your done.

jimbobway
Legendary

Activity: 1304
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 03:35:08 PM

Not sure if you can't read or you think this says something it doesn't.  Nothing in there about SHA-2 being compromised this year.

I am tired of doing research for other people.  I dont have to prove anything too anyone.  Esp on my mobile phone.

Then stop being tired.  Nobody asked you to do any research.  You made an unsubstantiated claim.  When asked for a cite you linked to something completely unsupporting.

I will take your claim of SHA-2 being broken this year (as if such a thing is even predictable) as utter nonsense.  See your done.

No problem.  Thanks for making my decision easier.
stdset

Activity: 572
Merit: 506

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 02:44:40 AM

Outcompeted GPU miners are engaging in wishful thinking. Face the reality and invest into development of the next generation of Bitcoin chips if you want to keep competing in this marketplace. Nobody in his right mind will agree to decrease security of Bitcoin network just to satisfy your greed dear GPU dinosaurs. Wake up and move on.
I like short posts like this one, hitting the nail on the head.

cp1

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:08:29 AM

What would be the point?  No one would use it.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 03:57:04 AM

Er,
Let's all be clear that bitcoin  utilizes DOUBLE SHA-2 before making bold statements.

Actually there are partial attacks that are very well documented against SHA 2 upto about 25 bits , but not so much against double SHA 2....

The other issue is that the research into SHA 2* attack vectors has a weakness.....(which you can figure out yourself if you think about it....)

Plus there is some VERY interesting shit if you can program up your own FPGA farm..... The big issue is getting the shit out fast enough...

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 05:48:03 AM
Last edit: July 13, 2013, 06:08:29 PM by DeathAndTaxes

Cite?  There are not even any "academic attacks" against SHA-2 at this time.  An academic attacking being a method which is faster than brute force but still computationally infeasible to exploit in the real world.

Er,
Let's all be clear that bitcoin  utilizes DOUBLE SHA-2 before making bold statements.

Actually there are partial attacks that are very well documented against SHA 2 upto about 25 bits , but not so much against double SHA 2....

The other issue is that the research into SHA 2* attack vectors has a weakness.....(which you can figure out yourself if you think about it....)

Plus there is some VERY interesting shit if you can program up your own FPGA farm..... The big issue is getting the shit out fast enough...

It isn't a bold statement, it is merely a statement of fact.  Lets ignore the potential added security of double SHA hash and just focus on single SHA-2 hashes.

SHA-2 uses 64 or 80 rounds.  There are no known attacks against 64 or 80 round SHA-2.  None.  No first preimage attacks, no second preimage attacks, no random collisions.  

This isn't for a lack of trying.  SHA-2 is one of the most analyzed algorithms in the world.  It is used for just about everything from banking to PGP to SSL.  A lot of different entities in a lot of different places all around the world have a very vested interest in knowing if SHA-2 is secure.  Cryptography can never be mathematically proven secure, the best we can do is (collectively) look for flaws and if enough people look hard enough for long enough the probability that an unknown flaw will appear suddenly and without warning is reduced, never eliminated but reduced.

An academic attack on a theoretical variant of SHA-2 which uses 41 instead of 64 rounds isn't an attack vector unless Bitcoin happens to use this modified variant with 41 instead of 64 rounds.  For the record it doesn't, nobody does, anywhere, for anything.  Publishing a reduced round version of an attack is essentially saying "we looked for a flaw but couldn't find one however if this algorithm only used x rounds instead of y rounds here is a flaw".  It is a way for other researchers to potentially expand upon but often many of these reduced round attacks are simply dead ends.  What works for 41 rounds may NEVER work for 64 rounds.  It is possible that these known reduced round attacks are dead ends.  That is to say that eventually SHA-2 is broken but it is broken in a completely unrelated manner and researchers who will try to expand on these known attack vectors will spend countless hours it what will ultimately prove to be "barking up the wrong tree".

I never predicted that SHA-2 won't eventually be broken but to claim it will be broken this year requires some significant supporting evidence and none was provided.  When asked for a cite, link to tweets unrelated to the claim were provided.  When confronted the person left saying he "doesn't need to prove anything to anyone".  That isn't what I would call "significant supporting evidence".  

Maybe SHA-2 will be broken this year, or maybe next year, or maybe it is never broken because over time most applications migrate to SHA-3 (after significant cryptoanalysis) because it has less theoretical flaws.  If that happens a exploitable flaw in SHA-2 may never be found because the focus of global analysis will shift to SHA-3 as it will be the bigger target.  To make a long story long regardless of if/when SHA-2 is broken the statement that "it will be broken by the end of the year" is rubbish.  Nobody credible said that, and nobody credible would.
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: