Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 04:36:28 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Data Spying  (Read 976 times)
barwizi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:34:23 AM

I was part of a discussion earlier and a question was raised. Considering all the information companies are sharing with governments, could it be possible that media players that connect to the internet for data, are not only getting information, but are sending it out? For example if you allow WM11 to connect to the net to get track info, it could send a list of songs you have, which is then saved for later use, either for marketing purposes or more sinister invasions of privacy? Also, could that be used as a consensual conduit for companies to gather information on your habits, preferences and activities?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TheSpiral

Activity: 322
Merit: 113

Sinbad Mixer: Mix Your BTC Quickly

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:40:46 AM

Oh no, people are going to find out I listen to Led Zeppelin.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:47:14 AM

Alternate cryptocurrencies
Discussion of cryptocurrencies other than Bitcoin. Note that discussion of how these currencies *relate to* Bitcoin may fit in other categories.

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:57:52 AM

I was part of a discussion earlier and a question was raised. Considering all the information companies are sharing with governments, could it be possible that media players that connect to the internet for data, are not only getting information, but are sending it out? For example if you allow WM11 to connect to the net to get track info, it could send a list of songs you have, which is then saved for later use, either for marketing purposes or more sinister invasions of privacy? Also, could that be used as a consensual conduit for companies to gather information on your habits, preferences and activities?

We should sell the data about ourselves and pocket the money rather than wait for them to steal it and pocket nothing.
The_Catman

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Captain Jack Fenderson

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 09:10:05 AM

Isn't there an off-topic board? This has nothing to do with alternate crypto-currencies.

#Darren

Activity: 784
Merit: 250

DIA | Data infrastructure for DeFi

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:23:08 AM

We should sell the data about ourselves and pocket the money rather than wait for them to steal it and pocket nothing.

lol - pretty much.

████████████████
   ████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████   ███████████████████
█████████████████        ███████████████
█████████████████          █████████████
█████████████████            ████████████
█████████████████             ███████████
█████████████████              ██████████
█████████████████              ██████████
█████████████████            ███████████
█████████████████          █████████████
█████████████████      ███████████████
█████████████████ ████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
     █████████████████
          ████
DIA | OPEN ACCESS FINANCIAL DATA
n4ru

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:34:47 AM

Considering all the information companies are sharing with governments, could it be possible that media players that connect to the internet for data, are not only getting information, but are sending it out?
Yes.
For example if you allow WM11 to connect to the net to get track info, it could send a list of songs you have, which is then saved for later use, either for marketing purposes or more sinister invasions of privacy?
Yes.
Also, could that be used as a consensual conduit for companies to gather information on your habits, preferences and activities?
Yes.
barwizi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:50:23 AM

ever walked into a mall and been surprised as you watched every screen you look at change it's advert to something you hold a mild interest in? ranging from golf clubs to  very specific items like a new antennae for your wifi card?
barwizi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:51:05 AM

lol - pretty much.

If only we could implement that.
jackjack
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1233

May Bitcoin be touched by his Noodly Appendage

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:51:45 AM

ever walked into a mall and been surprised as you watched every screen you look at change it's advert to something you hold a mild interest in? ranging from golf clubs to  very specific items like a new antennae for your wifi card?
Looking forward screens suddenly displaying dildos wherever I go

Own address: 19QkqAza7BHFTuoz9N8UQkryP4E9jHo4N3 - Pywallet support: 1AQDfx22pKGgXnUZFL1e4UKos3QqvRzNh5 - Bitcointalk++ script support: 1Pxeccscj1ygseTdSV1qUqQCanp2B2NMM2
Pywallet: instructions. Encrypted wallet support, export/import keys/addresses, backup wallets, export/import CSV data from/into wallet, merge wallets, delete/import addresses and transactions, recover altcoins sent to bitcoin addresses, sign/verify messages and files with Bitcoin addresses, recover deleted wallets, etc.
temor

Activity: 168

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 10:56:53 AM

ever walked into a mall and been surprised as you watched every screen you look at change it's advert to something you hold a mild interest in? ranging from golf clubs to  very specific items like a new antennae for your wifi card?

Or adult diapers.

Please make a post in my Reputation Thread if we've had a successful trade.
barwizi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:04:36 AM

ever walked into a mall and been surprised as you watched every screen you look at change it's advert to something you hold a mild interest in? ranging from golf clubs to  very specific items like a new antennae for your wifi card?

Grin hehe, i know it's funny and maybe convenient in a way. But i prefer to be old fashioned about shopping. But that is a small example, there is a group working on a behavioral prediction engine. It can currently predict with 80% accuracy how many cigarettes  one of the subjects will smoke in a day. This is work done by a small unfunded group. Say they got a grant and really got serious with it, just by trolling through you browser history and watching how you respond to stimuli, it'll be able to predict the next 5 pages you will visit, by adding a pseudo-learning engine and a targeted censoring program, it could virtually give someone unimaginable power.  It took me two weeks to write a small prediction engine for my btc-e and cryptsy trading bot, and my skills leave much to be desired. How about a motivation of 3 million for ten really good programmers, they'll be able to tell exactly what size and color your dildo should be, whether you like it ribbed or smooth and what extras to add to make it more attractive.

now apply that machine to look through sensitive information. i'm not a hack prattling on about conspiracies, do a threat assesment on these three
1) governments
2) private sector
3) irresponsible individuals or collectives in the general public,

of the three who can do the most damage?

Say i have a functional botnet that mines data for me and send pertinent info, if i had access to that engine... 
digitalindustry

Activity: 798

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 11:14:36 AM

yes , everything yes.

but... do you care?

i mean really care?

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
defaced
Legendary

Activity: 2184
Merit: 1011

Franko is Freedom

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 01:05:35 PM

NSA GON TAKE MY BABBBBIIIES

Fortune Favors the Brave
Borderless CharityEXPANSEEXRAllergy FinderFranko Is Freedom
GSnak

Activity: 182

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 01:21:52 PM

For example if you allow WM11 to connect to the net to get track info, it could send a list of songs you have, which is then saved for later use, either for marketing purposes or more sinister invasions of privacy?

This is one of the check marks when you first run WMP. IIRC it's automatically checked, you have to uncheck it.
barwizi (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 01:27:55 PM

yes , everything yes.

but... do you care?

i mean really care?

i actually do, to the effect that i would like to know any and all ways that my current os interacts with the internet, what data it sends and to whom it is sent. Do they keep this info or do they process and dispose?

If someone wants to know something about me, i want the freedom to choose whether to acquiesce their request or not. 
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 01:58:39 PM

Man i could tell you some stories.  its funnier than A Scanner Darkly -

if or when (and i hope you never do) have to worry about what/if you are eating next, then you will never worry about this again.

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
digitalindustry

‘Try to be nice’

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 02:04:30 PM

yes , everything yes.

but... do you care?

i mean really care?

i actually do, to the effect that i would like to know any and all ways that my current os interacts with the internet, what data it sends and to whom it is sent. Do they keep this info or do they process and dispose?

If someone wants to know something about me, i want the freedom to choose whether to acquiesce their request or not. 

your OS interacts with the internet on many protocols - and nothing you put on it is private unless you go to some extreme measures - you will probably need to go back to Tape walkman, if this aspect of the media side of things is a large issue - ,

how about this little tid bit - sometime Companies mix up the data they were meant to send for signal analysis to the Government agencies and use that for commercial purposes with hilarious results !   

I mean Serious think about this , this whole system has maybe , maybe two years , (including rabbits being pulled from hats) -

after that point its either :

Evolution or something really bad.

here's the good news , it might be evolution ! 

: D

- Twitter @Kolin_Quark
Luckybit

Activity: 714
Merit: 510

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 07:50:41 AM

lol - pretty much.

If only we could implement that.

Keep your eye on Netcoin. I outlined a plan.
Spendulus
Legendary

Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 10:23:32 PM

No.  They'd have general information about your "household", not you.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: