Bitcoin Forum
May 12, 2024, 06:37:19 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Asicminer Block Eruptor  (Read 2492 times)
gambit1 (OP)

Activity: 980
Merit: 508

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:04:37 PM

I've been involved in bitcoin for years but have never been able to make mining work for me. I've always been plagued by technical difficulties. I was thinking of having a go with the Asicminer block eruptor. I was wondering if people more experienced with mining could answer a few questions. I appreciate the help

* Is £130 for a 336/mhz stick a good idea?
* Given the increasing difficulty is using these ubs sticks?
* Is the mining power of these sticks likely to be relevant for a reasonable time given the hardware coming on line?
* Are these sticks definitively better than GPU mining?
* Are these sticks easy to use to mine? Do you still use a mining pool?

Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:48:15 PM

* Are these sticks definitively better than GPU mining?
* Are these sticks easy to use to mine? Do you still use a mining pool?

Thanks

Just commenting on what I think I know.

Yes they are better than GPU mining.  Allot less electricity is used and allot less noise and waste heat are generated.

Yes they are easy to mine.  Just follow the instructions in CGMIner 3.3.1+ ASIC Read me file.  Here is my rewording of that for use with Win7

Per the ASIC readme
1. Unplug all Erupters
2. Run Zadig - Install WinUSB (I may have rebooted, can't remember for sure) - I could not install WinUSB while Erupters were plugged in.
3. Plug in one Erupter, verify that it is set to WinUSB.
4. Close Zadig, plug in the rest of the Erupters, run CGMiner.
Done

Yes you can still mine with a pool.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
gambit1 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 04:55:29 PM

Thanks, really helpful.

Any more thoughts would be appreciated.

When you say they are better than GPUs : are they also more powerful as miners?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:00:17 PM
Last edit: July 12, 2013, 05:11:09 PM by os2sam

Thanks, really helpful.

Well that's a bit relative.  I just recently retired my GPU's after replacing them with ASIC Miner Erupters.  Each Erupter is around 333Mhs my 5770 was around 215Mhs and my 5830 was around 305Mhs so yes they are more powerful than my GPU's but there are GPU's that are more powerful.  And you can't play games on Block Erupters so that may be a downside as they don't have a secondary use.
Sam

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 05:03:53 PM

Thanks, really helpful.

It depends on which GPU some are twice as fast. But, the power reduction should more than cover the difference. Also, the Erupters are getting cheaper all the time. A rough(and i mean rough) at the current difficulty is about US$0.48 a day for one of these things in a typical pool.
gambit1 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:22:28 PM

So you use CGminer. That's important to be because guiminer doesn't work for me.
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:28:01 PM

So you use CGminer. That's important to be because guiminer doesn't work for me.

Yes, CGMiner 3.3.1 has direct USB w/hotplug support.  It works great for me.  But people using the Anker USB 3.0 hubs have trouble with later versions of CGMiner and opt to use the older CGMiner 3.1.1 with USB to Serial drivers.

The CGMiner developers are working on the Anker USB hub issue.
Sam

gambit1 (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:44:58 PM

I have the issue of not having opencl drivers and not being able to get those drivers to work. That won't matter right?
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4102
Merit: 1632

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 08:59:45 PM

I have the issue of not having opencl drivers and not being able to get those drivers to work. That won't matter right?
Correct. There is a cgminer binary built that doesn't need the opencl drivers. (cgminer-nogpu).

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
gambit1 (OP)

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 12:46:35 PM

Reading around it seems like they are probably a bad investment. The difficulty is going up too quickly and its unlikely you'll get your money back, seems to be the consensus. Anybody have a counterpoint point of view?
os2sam
Legendary

Think for yourself

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 02:02:38 PM

Reading around it seems like they are probably a bad investment. The difficulty is going up too quickly and its unlikely you'll get your money back, seems to be the consensus. Anybody have a counterpoint point of view?

That all seems to be true.  But since they are available we're ordering them and receiving them in days instead of months/years.

Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 02:29:09 PM

At the current rate of increase, you will most likely never get your money back on any miner you buy for the forseeable future.
wlwesq

Activity: 52
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 16, 2013, 06:10:04 PM

At the current rate of increase, you will most likely never get your money back on any miner you buy for the forseeable future.

Trongersoll's comment may be the truest thing ever said here (for the whole week or two I've been around, anyway).

And yet, people are buying the USB miners up and still thinking about jumping in with Butterfly Labs or Avalon (or other producers whose products are on the horizon). Some might actually be placing orders.

So who knows? One thing is for sure: Trongersoll could be wrong. If you get a miner now, then you might be profitable. If you don't get a miner now, you'll never know what might have been.

I'm glad I ordered my pair without giving it too much thought, and I try not to second-guess myself. I'm in, and maybe I'll be profitable and maybe I won't. Regardless, I'm learning some things, and that's not a bad thing at all.
wedgy2k

Activity: 329
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 20, 2013, 03:51:31 PM

* Is £130 for a 336/mhz stick a good idea?

Look around, you can get these for £60-£75 each on various group buys on here. 0.89BTC from some of the Europeans
£130 is for Ebay buyers

hotwired007

Activity: 585
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:11:28 PM

i worked out that i'd be better off sticking the bitcoins i spent on my miners in something like CoinLenders or something BUT i actually did by 2 when they were first released for 4.2BTC and now have again bought 3 at 3.25BTC - reducing the overall cost of my original miners... so far i have mined (since 6th june) 0.75BTC after spending 4.2BTC. so fingers crossed that in 6 weeks time i may actually have paid one off Wink

This account was hacked & possibly sold during the period of August 1st and October 24th 2017.
Anything done or said in this period wasnt me.
Many thanks to Cyrus for his help restoring access to my account.
J35st3r

Activity: 196
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 22, 2013, 09:43:13 PM

i worked out that i'd be better off sticking the bitcoins i spent on my miners in something like CoinLenders or something BUT i actually did by 2 when they were first released for 4.2BTC and now have again bought 3 at 3.25BTC - reducing the overall cost of my original miners... so far i have mined (since 6th june) 0.75BTC after spending 4.2BTC. so fingers crossed that in 6 weeks time i may actually have paid one off Wink

When I first joined here (what, six weeks ago now?), I spent my first posts scratching exactly this itch. I just could not understand why people were buying them. And they are still selling like hot cakes (even though the reduced price will still never break even). At first I thought it was some sort of SR thing, but I've now come to the conclusion that peeps are bored with humdrum reality, and just want to play at something different. There are more expensive habits, so what am I to complain? So I've chillax'd about it (and reduced my risk of RSI to boot). Just thought I'd share (and I've not posted for a few days, so getting really itchy here  Roll Eyes )

1Jest66T6Jw1gSVpvYpYLXR6qgnch6QYU1 NumberOfTheBeast ... go on, give it a try Grin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: