Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 10:01:51 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapest Rig Frame Built under $25 and 20 min.  (Read 1134 times)
gotminer

Activity: 644
Merit: 24

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 12:06:25 AM

poorly thought out design, no place to mount mobo or anything else. that's not a rig frame. at the very least its only a gpu holder at best. good fire starter though since you used wood

Really? Did you know wood is an insulator and is sued in electrical applications because of it?

DERP

its also catches fire real easy, when you go cheap like that and you've got a room full of rigs in your HOUSE, it only takes 1 of them to malfunction in such a way that your whole house goes up in flames potentially putting not just you in danger but others as well. good way to not think of other peoples well being except for yourself

DERP

Fire rated wood.  Problem solved.  There are a lot of things in a persons house that could cause a fire just as easy.  And guess what ... The house is made of wood.  Do you live in an aluminum shed because you're afraid electricity and wood is too much of a risk?  Lol.  Why are you talking to him like he's an idiot? 

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 12:31:43 AM

I use 36" laminated shelves from HomeDepot ($8) and then some 36" long 3/4" square dowels ($3 each)  to built 8x GPU rigs like this:

Yes, the rigs are all in my living quarters during the winter to provide all the heating I need.

But going forward, I'm going to be using mobo's meant for mining like these:

No more riser rigs for me!  Wink
gotminer

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 12:34:56 AM

A little self righteous about your views on how many PSU's are the "in thing" aren't we?

I still have rigs with 2 PSU's it doesn't bother me, I have a bunch of rigs with 1600w EVGA T2's as well.

Both of them work PERFECTLY FINE so it doesn't matter WTF you use, just get it built.

2 850's is a lot cheaper, $300 give or take vs $500 for my 1600's. Either one works. More than just one way to do things, just because it's the way YOU do something, doesn't mean everyone else has to adopt it.

I agree with you, i prefer to build my rig 2x PSU's, it doesn't take much more space, make's it alot easier to deal with dual-8pin cards because you have alot more connectors, and is cheaper to go (2x800w cheaper than one 1600w and not counting all the adaptaters you'll have to buy (6pin to 8 converters, Y cables, and so on adding failures points), and i have more confidence in the stability of the power over long run. It even make more sense to me for 8-10 card rigs. Getting server psu's here is really annoying, and it's mostly sold out all the times so....

Keep up the good work OP, go and refine your designs !

an atx psu is more of a failure point there bud if you wanna talk that route, server psu is also made for harsh enviroments, atx psu is not. last I checked using 1 outlet vs 2 is better. btw if you know what your doing with the server psu its not a pain in the butt, its actually quite easy. also dunno where you are looking for those server psu's cause I don't have issues finding them and guess what for much cheaper than an atx of the same wattage, I can pick up a 1500w server psu for about 125 bucks, can you pick up an atx psu for that much, hell no. also 2 psus creates a big failure point if one psu dies depending on which one, gpus or other hardware could be damaged, id much rather have the WHOLE rig shut off, the price you paid for 2x 800w platinum psus, id done picked up 1500w for cheaper than BOTH of of those together, 800w platinum atx psu still going to run you around 80 to 100 bucks. the idea here last I checked is efficiency no? to spend the least amount of money possible while getting the most profit? sound familiar? btw breakout board for hp 1500w server psu is about 15 dollars and then youd need a pico psu which is another 13 dollars, still well below what you would spend on 2x 800w platinum psu's that are fully modular

Yoiu're not running server PSU inside a residential home, one you're trying to live in anyways.

If you buy janky atx psu's yeah, sure i see an issue. I'm willing to bet the farm I'll never have an issue with my EVGA's, and even if I do, I have about a dozen 850's just sitting on the shelf on standby. A good Jew always has at least 2 of everything Smiley

Exactly!  He was starting to sound like he also wears a tinfoil hat in the aluminum shed that he lives in.

Ok, I want you to walk back in there and very calmly, very politely tell the risk assessors to fuck off! -Mark Baum
gotminer

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 12:39:16 AM

I use 36" laminated shelves from HomeDepot ($8) and then some 36" long 3/4" square dowels ($3 each)  to built 8x GPU rigs like this:

Yes, the rigs are all in my living quarters during the winter to provide all the heating I need.

Nice!  Any issues with that board?  I have been looking at them.

crazydane

Activity: 558
Merit: 194

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 03:39:28 AM

Nope, both the Onda D8P and the Colorful boards are rock solid.  Only change I made in the BIOS was to change to PEG for the video.  Haven't bothered updating either BIOS either since they just work, but I probably will at some point.  Running nvOS on them.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 04:45:51 AM

Nope, both the Onda D8P and the Colorful boards are rock solid.  Only change I made in the BIOS was to change to PEG for the video.  Haven't bothered updating either BIOS either since they just work, but I probably will at some point.  Running nvOS on them.

Very crafty, I love the laminate board crazydane!

Since everyone is sharing here's the "MINING RACK" that I use:

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/seville-classics-3-tier-mesh-utility-shoe-rack-in-satin-bronze/1061424241?skuId=61424241&mcid=PS_googlepla_nonbrand_storage_online&product_id=61424241&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&adpos=1o2&creative=224122691883&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&mrkgadid=558368192&mrkgcl=609&rkg_id=h-1d75a1d10d20d7731b4ba876e293aa4c_t-1512881020&gclid=Cj0KCQiAsK7RBRDzARIsAM2pTZ8bA3vhyAG9j62jd5YQSSlw9NMEpGHHHOlK6WQLkg-bVV3PzQXewowaAmLAEALw_wcB

Yes, it's all metal but I've been running these almost a year, not one issue, no shorts no problems. Underneath my mobo I cut to spec from a foam tile, they're cheap AF and I had a ton of them in the garage already. Something like 5 or 10 tiles are like $10 at costco, 1 tile can do 5 mobo's so yeah, it's not expensive.
crypticj (OP)

Activity: 873
Merit: 268

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 05:02:55 AM

Thank you for sharing all the awesome home built rigs and pics. I really like the homedepot board one thank you @crazydane.

m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224

CryptoLearner

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 08:13:10 AM

an atx psu is more of a failure point there bud if you wanna talk that route, server psu is also made for harsh enviroments, atx psu is not. last I checked using 1 outlet vs 2 is better. btw if you know what your doing with the server psu its not a pain in the butt, its actually quite easy. also dunno where you are looking for those server psu's cause I don't have issues finding them and guess what for much cheaper than an atx of the same wattage, I can pick up a 1500w server psu for about 125 bucks, can you pick up an atx psu for that much, hell no. also 2 psus creates a big failure point if one psu dies depending on which one, gpus or other hardware could be damaged, id much rather have the WHOLE rig shut off, the price you paid for 2x 800w platinum psus, id done picked up 1500w for cheaper than BOTH of of those together, 800w platinum atx psu still going to run you around 80 to 100 bucks. the idea here last I checked is efficiency no? to spend the least amount of money possible while getting the most profit? sound familiar? btw breakout board for hp 1500w server psu is about 15 dollars and then youd need a pico psu which is another 13 dollars, still well below what you would spend on 2x 800w platinum psu's that are fully modular, my rigs run all the same, only difference is that I didn't spend as much as you did on power supplies, rigs run days on end, months, without ever being touched unless there is loss of power or miner software update or OS update. which it does on its own. using a server psu is more stable than you think you know

Server psu @150$ aren't brand new, so they may be more of a failure point than you think too, but that's another story  Grin

I work in datacenters so i know that a server PSU is the best in some areas, but the problem is that were i live i cannot source old/refurbished ones or even pico psu/breakout board they're sold out all the time, and the customs import tax/shipping are murder if i want to source them elsewhere, that's the whole issue with it, otherwise i would have tried to run server psu's long time ago. And even through my work i didn't find a way to source refurbished PSU's that are compatible with the current breakout board we see on mining shops, we just don't use those they're either too old or not the brand we use.

That said ATX psu's of the right quality are good and proper, they often have warranty going from 7 to 10 years, i don't run them more than 60% load, been 2 years i've been mining and never had one failure (20 rigs so 40 psu's) not even one warning at all.

I think both solutions have merits, server psu have density, cost, resilience and atx have availability, less hassle (no need for special cables, or pico atx), low noise, warranty (yes 7 to 10 years, server psu's are often refurbished so no warranty, and you don't buy them brand new because it cost an arm & leg)

As i always say, if it works, why not use it. If i could source some breakout board and server psu's compatible i'll be more than happy to test it out. You do what you can and try to maximise your efficiency with what your location, situation, environment, is giving you.
martyroz

Activity: 325
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 08:38:52 AM

I make mine for about $10 USD from a bit of aluminium angle and timber;

Cut short side at bend points and bend to rectangles 280mm * 320mm;

Secure to timber using wood screws;

The most satisfying screw of the day;

STRENGTH!;

Vary the base and support lengths depending on rig size, I like 440m for 4 cards, 550mm for 5 cards and so on. Easy to remember. Here is a 4 card and a 5 card frame. You can also see spare angle is used for guide channels for PSU and HDD;

Just use felt under mobo and here is a 4 card rig finished product;
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 10, 2017, 08:47:46 AM

poorly thought out design, no place to mount mobo or anything else. that's not a rig frame. at the very least its only a gpu holder at best. good fire starter though since you used wood

Really? Did you know wood is an insulator and is sued in electrical applications because of it?

DERP

its also catches fire real easy, when you go cheap like that and you've got a room full of rigs in your HOUSE, it only takes 1 of them to malfunction in such a way that your whole house goes up in flames potentially putting not just you in danger but others as well. good way to not think of other peoples well being except for yourself

DERP

Fire rated wood.  Problem solved.  There are a lot of things in a persons house that could cause a fire just as easy.  And guess what ... The house is made of wood.  Do you live in an aluminum shed because you're afraid electricity and wood is too much of a risk?  Lol.  Why are you talking to him like he's an idiot? 

yall are too cheap to spend the extra money on fire rated wood, come on now. btw people in general are idiots. consensus says those that use wood will go for whatever they can find that's the cheapest. title of this thread says it all. also on a side note my house is wood all the same as most peoples houses are, thing is it depends on the application which should dictate when and where what is used, if you've ever seen atleast pictures of what a rig fire can cause, its not something anyone wish's to happen but it can and its not usually pretty. why increase the chances of making it worse by adding something like cheap wood where it shouldn't be lol

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
gotminer

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 01:43:37 AM

What board is that?  I wrote down the model (or what I thought was the model) from the box that it's sitting on, but apparently that isn't the one.  Just noticed it was a lot wider than the box it's sitting on ... Lol.

icosearcher

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 02:20:52 AM

https://i.imgur.com/WopxwAI.jpg

rig complete I am putting a wooden bracket underneath motherboard to mount it.

also i put anti static bag always so it doesn't short circuit.

7 gtx 1070ti = 3450 sols 70%tdp and 200+ core and 500+ memory

750w evga gold (power 3 cards-3 risers and mobo and cpu) and 900watts hp server plantinum on top to power 4 cards and 4 risers

Yes i am going to do a better job with cable management when I have more time.

Resourceful!  Can you please post a link or name/PN for the PSU distribution board that you have on top?  (Obviously don't know what it is called or I would google it!) Huh
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 11, 2017, 09:02:27 AM

this thread is filled with amazing content
great work @crazydane and @crypticj
quality threads like this are hard to find
btw what you all mining?
crypticj (OP)

Activity: 873
Merit: 268

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:43:22 AM

this thread is filled with amazing content
great work @crazydane and @crypticj
quality threads like this are hard to find
btw what you all mining?

I mine whatever is most profitable being agnostic to specific coin helps.

sniffdogminer works great for me.
Tanhdoit

Activity: 127
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 04:59:07 AM

Those are really some nice rigs that everyone put up. But back to the original post, although your rig layout looks great you might want to spend a bit more money on a professional rig frame. I wouldn't try to save a penny here or there because you need to think about the repercussions of cheap wood---causing fire--- and bare metal ---electrical shorts. Take it from me, I spent about $30 on woods and screw and after 3 months --- luckily I was home --- the excessive heat on one of the GPU started sparking out and literally sparked and started smoking on the rig.  Spend a bit more on peace of mind.
hyet24

Activity: 166

View Profile
December 12, 2017, 05:16:54 AM

What's funny is people do this type of rig before you yet you pick on him.  So what makes difference with him and the others?

Motherboard can sit on the cardboard.  I done it.   I push the room temperature 110F and nothing burned.   8 months in a row.   No issues with metal racks.   I don't waste money on those highend rigs eventually I would throw it away if I'm done mining.  At least with that rack I could reuse.

Wood or not wouldn't make difference preventing fires because outlet and home wiring and the carpet is like 90% and wood is just small part of the problem.   People done rigs on wooden frame.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: