Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 11:18:52 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheapest Rig Frame Built under $25 and 20 min.  (Read 1134 times)
crypticj (OP)

Activity: 873
Merit: 268

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 04:53:13 AM

Hey guys just wanted to share a quick frame design that i have built under $25 and 20 min.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M0XLTT5/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buy following shelf from amazon $20

Buy 1 8 ft 2x2 from Homedepot or lowes. & 1 8 ft 2x1

Set it up like i did. took it me 20 min to cut the height and length and 5 min to screw them together. They are zip tied to the frame. and risers are screwed it as well.

the length of 2 bars where risers are resting is 32 inches
the 2 bottom piece is 8 inches
the 2 pieces standing on the pole is 7 inches tall and
the 2x1 is also 32 inches for screw-ing and zip tie graphics card securely.

Good luck and let me know your thoughts. 

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
0xcosmos

Activity: 585
Merit: 110

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:34:11 AM

the white risers looks really great
which gpus are you going to select for this rig?
more pictures when it is done will be really appreciated
NymokoTO

Activity: 39
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:52:57 AM

Nice one ! be careful if you put the motherboard on steel part of rig there is the risk of short circuit! Tongue
CryptoWatcher420

Activity: 462
Merit: 258

Small Time Miner, Rig Builder, Crypto Trader

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:06:45 PM

poorly thought out design, no place to mount mobo or anything else. that's not a rig frame. at the very least its only a gpu holder at best. good fire starter though since you used wood

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
FFI2013

Activity: 906
Merit: 507

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:17:35 PM

I go to homedepot or lowes and buy 3/4 aluminum angle 8 ft usually two are good for one 6 gpu rig I think they cost $9 each and I cut them to what I want than drill and rivet the frame together if you don't have a rivet gun you can use self tapping screws but I can cut drill rivet the frame together in 15 mins it takes me longer to setup and clean up than to build
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:19:07 PM

I go to homedepot or lowes and buy 3/4 aluminum angle 8 ft usually two are good for one 6 gpu rig I think they cost $9 each and I cut them to what I want than drill and rivet the frame together if you don't have a rivet gun you can use self tapping screws but I can cut drill rivet the frame together in 15 mins it takes me longer to setup and clean up than to build

I goto lowes too, and there more than 9 dollars rofl atleast at the one here in Washington state its like about 15 for an 8ft section of angled aluminum, depends on the area there in but all the same yeah 2 8ft sections is what I use as well for my rig frame, pop rivets which look soo much better than a self tapping screw which protrudes, pop rivits also don't back out and become lose like screws do

6pin to EPS 12v 4+4pin w/pigtail & 2.5mm barrel plug for Pico Psu for SERVER PSU ONLY GPU MINING RIGS! | Donations: BTC-  | Join Me on Discord! https://discord.gg/VDwWFcK
BTCYogi

Activity: 20

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 12:24:09 PM

Hope it is sturdy. Looks cheap but as said possibility of shock cricut.
lazyhub

Activity: 4

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 02:42:22 PM

Towel rail from ikea is less than $10..some insulation tape and a off cut of flooring, sorted. you could even add another 2 shelves to it if wanted and its easy to pick up and move around https://photos.app.[Suspicious link removed]/bzqUy4PZKcbtM6373
bdiddle

Activity: 75
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 03:00:33 PM

poorly thought out design, no place to mount mobo or anything else. that's not a rig frame. at the very least its only a gpu holder at best. good fire starter though since you used wood

Really? Did you know wood is an insulator and is sued in electrical applications because of it?

DERP
crypticj (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:38:34 PM

rig complete I am putting a wooden bracket underneath motherboard to mount it.

also i put anti static bag always so it doesn't short circuit.

7 gtx 1070ti = 3450 sols 70%tdp and 200+ core and 500+ memory

750w evga gold (power 3 cards-3 risers and mobo and cpu) and 900watts hp server plantinum on top to power 4 cards and 4 risers

Yes i am going to do a better job with cable management when I have more time.
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:44:38 PM

what an awful build and such a waste of space, btw 2 psu's is a thing of the past nowdays

crypticj (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:47:34 PM

what an awful build and such a waste of space, btw 2 psu's is a thing of the past nowdays

@cryptowatcher420

thats my  normal build but it takes 3 hours from design to construct.

please let me know your constructive feedback.
crypticj (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:50:39 PM

with 2 psu i was going for cheaper option total cost $170 vs $300+ for 1300watt gold.
VyprBTC

Activity: 350
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:53:22 PM

Good job I just have 2 things on your normal build - since you're doing the building, why put it so high so you have to use zips? Cut it the right length so you can screw the GPU's in .

Also you have room on the sides, move those supports to go over the PSU's, so it gives you a bit more room to spread the GPU's out - the frame is already that width, might as well use it.
crypticj (OP)

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:55:32 PM

Good job I just have 2 things on your normal build - since you're doing the building, why put it so high so you have to use zips? Cut it the right length so you can screw the GPU's in .

Also you have room on the sides, move those supports to go over the PSU's, so it gives you a bit more room to spread the GPU's out - the frame is already that width, might as well use it.

great tips. thank you. I am on my 6th rig, perhaps on 7th i will build it that way. but spreading out gpus is  a good idea.
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:55:49 PM

Really? Did you know wood is an insulator and is sued in electrical applications because of it?

DERP

its also catches fire real easy, when you go cheap like that and you've got a room full of rigs in your HOUSE, it only takes 1 of them to malfunction in such a way that your whole house goes up in flames potentially putting not just you in danger but others as well. good way to not think of other peoples well being except for yourself

DERP

VyprBTC

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 09:56:35 PM

A little self righteous about your views on how many PSU's are the "in thing" aren't we?

I still have rigs with 2 PSU's it doesn't bother me, I have a bunch of rigs with 1600w EVGA T2's as well.

Both of them work PERFECTLY FINE so it doesn't matter WTF you use, just get it built.

2 850's is a lot cheaper, $300 give or take vs $500 for my 1600's. Either one works. More than just one way to do things, just because it's the way YOU do something, doesn't mean everyone else has to adopt it.

m1n1ngP4d4w4n

Activity: 224

CryptoLearner

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 10:00:55 PM

A little self righteous about your views on how many PSU's are the "in thing" aren't we?

I still have rigs with 2 PSU's it doesn't bother me, I have a bunch of rigs with 1600w EVGA T2's as well.

Both of them work PERFECTLY FINE so it doesn't matter WTF you use, just get it built.

2 850's is a lot cheaper, $300 give or take vs $500 for my 1600's. Either one works. More than just one way to do things, just because it's the way YOU do something, doesn't mean everyone else has to adopt it.

I agree with you, i prefer to build my rig 2x PSU's, it doesn't take much more space, make's it alot easier to deal with dual-8pin cards because you have alot more connectors, and is cheaper to go (2x800w cheaper than one 1600w and not counting all the adaptaters you'll have to buy (6pin to 8 converters, Y cables, and so on adding failures points), and i have more confidence in the stability of the power over long run. It even make more sense to me for 8-10 card rigs. Getting server psu's here is really annoying, and it's mostly sold out all the times so....

Keep up the good work OP, go and refine your designs !
CryptoWatcher420

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 11:37:56 PM

I agree with you, i prefer to build my rig 2x PSU's, it doesn't take much more space, make's it alot easier to deal with dual-8pin cards because you have alot more connectors, and is cheaper to go (2x800w cheaper than one 1600w and not counting all the adaptaters you'll have to buy (6pin to 8 converters, Y cables, and so on adding failures points), and i have more confidence in the stability of the power over long run. It even make more sense to me for 8-10 card rigs. Getting server psu's here is really annoying, and it's mostly sold out all the times so....

an atx psu is more of a failure point there bud if you wanna talk that route, server psu is also made for harsh enviroments, atx psu is not. last I checked using 1 outlet vs 2 is better. btw if you know what your doing with the server psu its not a pain in the butt, its actually quite easy. also dunno where you are looking for those server psu's cause I don't have issues finding them and guess what for much cheaper than an atx of the same wattage, I can pick up a 1500w server psu for about 125 bucks, can you pick up an atx psu for that much, hell no. also 2 psus creates a big failure point if one psu dies depending on which one, gpus or other hardware could be damaged, id much rather have the WHOLE rig shut off, the price you paid for 2x 800w platinum psus, id done picked up 1500w for cheaper than BOTH of of those together, 800w platinum atx psu still going to run you around 80 to 100 bucks. the idea here last I checked is efficiency no? to spend the least amount of money possible while getting the most profit? sound familiar? btw breakout board for hp 1500w server psu is about 15 dollars and then youd need a pico psu which is another 13 dollars, still well below what you would spend on 2x 800w platinum psu's that are fully modular, my rigs run all the same, only difference is that I didn't spend as much as you did on power supplies, rigs run days on end, months, without ever being touched unless there is loss of power or miner software update or OS update. which it does on its own. using a server psu is more stable than you think you know

VyprBTC

View Profile
December 09, 2017, 11:45:35 PM

an atx psu is more of a failure point there bud if you wanna talk that route, server psu is also made for harsh enviroments, atx psu is not. last I checked using 1 outlet vs 2 is better. btw if you know what your doing with the server psu its not a pain in the butt, its actually quite easy. also dunno where you are looking for those server psu's cause I don't have issues finding them and guess what for much cheaper than an atx of the same wattage, I can pick up a 1500w server psu for about 125 bucks, can you pick up an atx psu for that much, hell no. also 2 psus creates a big failure point if one psu dies depending on which one, gpus or other hardware could be damaged, id much rather have the WHOLE rig shut off, the price you paid for 2x 800w platinum psus, id done picked up 1500w for cheaper than BOTH of of those together, 800w platinum atx psu still going to run you around 80 to 100 bucks. the idea here last I checked is efficiency no? to spend the least amount of money possible while getting the most profit? sound familiar? btw breakout board for hp 1500w server psu is about 15 dollars and then youd need a pico psu which is another 13 dollars, still well below what you would spend on 2x 800w platinum psu's that are fully modular

Yoiu're not running server PSU inside a residential home, one you're trying to live in anyways.

If you buy janky atx psu's yeah, sure i see an issue. I'm willing to bet the farm I'll never have an issue with my EVGA's, and even if I do, I have about a dozen 850's just sitting on the shelf on standby. A good Jew always has at least 2 of everything Smiley
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: