Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 11:16:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. bank closing all of my deposit accounts because of bitcoins  (Read 20506 times)
bronco (OP)

Activity: 57
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:14:26 PM

Got letter today from U.S. bank (usbank.com) saying because i use my accounts to buy bitcoins they are closing my accounts. They say it against their rules. Can you guys help me and tell me what banks you use to buy bitcoins?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:46:12 PM

Got letter today from U.S. bank (usbank.com) saying because i use my accounts to buy bitcoins they are closing my accounts. They say it against their rules. Can you guys help me and tell me what banks you use to buy bitcoins?

Doesn't sound right.  Did they provide you with their ToS with the letter and exactly where you broke the terms?  What are they doing with the funds in your account, are they freezing them or giving you them via official bank check, etc.?

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4475

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:49:08 PM

agreed, if its against their rules then you should request to see the rule book

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
TippingPoint
Legendary

Activity: 905
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:53:56 PM

Will you post a copy of the letter?
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 07:56:05 PM

What sorts of transactions were you doing related to bitcoins?

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:20:27 PM

Bitcoins, as a new invention, are causing lots of confusion. Bitcoins are not issued by any government so banking institutions may be unsure how to handle them in context of banking regulations.

Banks may over react and close accounts to be on the safe side. In fact, that happened to MtGox's bank in France a year ago I believe, but MtGox sued and had their account reopened (I think they later switched banks anyway).

The first thing to understand is bitcoins are not illegal. Guidance issued by FinCEN (Financial Crimes Enforcement Network, a bureau of US Dept. of the Treasury) pertaining to virtual currencies, and seemingly Bitcoin in particular, specifically says users that trade virtual currency directly for goods/services are not subject to regulation. This is generally taken to mean using bitcoins in legal ways is fine. There is an entire industry springing up around Bitcoin, including a possible stock exchange listing.

So a bank saying it's against their rules seems to me overly cautious.

If you're willing to take the time it may be possible to have your account reopened, but that outcome is not guaranteed. The easiest thing to do I think is simply open an account somewhere else and don't use it for anything directly bitcoin related until these issues become clearer. There are other ways to buy/sell bitcoins with localbitcoins.com usually available if nothing else. BitInstant.com is also a popular way to transfer money into Bitcoin exchanges. More options are in the works.
bronco (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:44:12 PM

here is what i got. it doesn say much. So when i called bank asking what rules i broke they told I was buying bitcoins . I didnt tell bank i was using it to buy bitcoins just ecurrencies. Somehow they find out
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106526372/letter.jpg

all i was doing is arbitrage. buying in one place sell them in other
knight22
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000

--------------->¿?

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:45:53 PM

Banks suck!

bronco (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:46:31 PM

If you're willing to take the time it may be possible to have your account reopened, but that outcome is not guaranteed.

Bank says they will never deal with me again, wont open or reopen any accounts. Funny thing that they kept my credit accounts but closing only deposit accounts
Peter Lambert

Activity: 756

It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 08:56:00 PM

I had a mortgage which was sold to US bank. They were pretty difficult to deal with, the customer service was horrid. I would not recommend using them for anything.

Use CoinBR to trade bitcoin stocks: CoinBR.com

The best place for betting with bitcoin: BitBet.us
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:06:42 PM

all i was doing is arbitrage. buying in one place sell them in other

If you were doing arbitrage I'm guessing there was quite a bit of activity on your bank account. For example, if you only wanted to by several bitcoins to hold or trade for goods/services, you might make one or two large transactions with your bank account, but then only deal in bitcoins. However, it sounds like you might have lots of bank transfer activity which could have raised a flag even if you weren't doing anything wrong.

It may depend on the bank too though, as you're not the only one to receive a bank letter concerning bitcoins:

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/1ha43p/just_got_an_interesting_letter_from_my_bank/

Last, be sure to keep track of and handle any tax requirements for your bitcoin exchanges.
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:08:31 PM

Fuck the bankers.  They are responsible for so much misery in the world.  Follow the money trails.
shakezula

Activity: 308

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:09:38 PM

Get a new bank, problem solved.
tunafish

Activity: 95
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
July 12, 2013, 09:19:20 PM

+1

Feeling generous?
BTC: 1MiaKvvzhuCrbWJ2iXA9RceZfRpNDjwJTk
RoadToHell

Activity: 260

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:23:30 PM

The letter doesn't mention bitcoin.  Did they tell you that part in some other communication?

Sam Spade: We were talking about a lot more money than this.
Kasper Gutman: Yes, sir, we were, but this is genuine coin of the realm. With a dollar of this, you can buy ten dollars of talk.
bronco (OP)

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:24:00 PM

well, i'm freaking out cause there is no guarantee other bank will not do the same. I'll give wells fargo try. Spoke to them they dont mind bitcoins.

when i called them to find out what the deal is they say cause i was buying bitcoins. I never told bank i will be using wires to buy bitcoins. I told them i will be buying e-currencies. I believe bitstamp account where i was wiring money to is flagged or something
halfawake

Activity: 490

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:28:51 PM

well, i'm freaking out cause there is no guarantee other bank will not do the same. I'll give wells fargo try. Spoke to them they dont mind bitcoins.

when i called them to find out what the deal is they say cause i was buying bitcoins. I never told bank i will be using wires to buy bitcoins. I told them i will be buying e-currencies. I believe bitstamp account where i was wiring money to is flagged or something

Try the Internet Credit Union out: https://iafcu.org/ - they've gone on record at the Bitcoin 2013 Conference saying that they support Bitcoin, so you shouldn't have to worry about it with them.

BTC: 13kJEpqhkW5MnQhWLvum7N5v8LbTAhzeWj
mateo

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:31:54 PM

Is this the start of US government's war on Bitcoin?

BTC to the moon!
RandomQ

Activity: 826

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:36:53 PM

I think the war on Bitcoins is only just starting, its a direct threat against BANKS. The only Bank that will support this is the "ANTI-BANKs" IE Credit Unions
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:39:31 PM

This is actually pretty important.  Does anybody know of a list of bitcoin friendly banks?  i.e. Ones with a large amount of branches?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: