Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 09:19:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: U.S. bank closing all of my deposit accounts because of bitcoins  (Read 20506 times)
notme
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1002

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 09:48:39 PM

This is actually pretty important.  Does anybody know of a list of bitcoin friendly banks?  i.e. Ones with a large amount of branches?

In my experience it is the smaller institutions that will give you less trouble.  I couldn't care less that my credit union doesn't have any branches outside of my state.  They refund all ATM fees anyway.

https://www.bitcoin.org/bitcoin.pdf
While no idea is perfect, some ideas are useful.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
mateo

Activity: 87
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:10:24 PM

I think the war on Bitcoins is only just starting, its a direct threat against BANKS. The only Bank that will support this is the "ANTI-BANKs" IE Credit Unions

I think banks make most of their money by giving out loans. Transaction fees probably don't count for that much. It's things like PayPal and credit card companies that can very easily become obsolete.

BTC to the moon!
Trongersoll

Activity: 490
Merit: 501

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:16:33 PM

"all of my deposit accounts" how many accounts did you have? Huh
data_teks

Activity: 267
Merit: 101

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:19:03 PM

There's more to this story than just "we're closing your account because of its association with bitcoins".  Some kind of fraud had to trigger an investigation or the OP was moving thousands of dollars (through bitcoin companies) and the bank dug around and didn't like what it saw.
CurbsideProphet

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:21:25 PM

all i was doing is arbitrage. buying in one place sell them in other

Were you doing the arbitrage on your own or using a third party like this:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=251951.0

Banks keep tabs on your normal account activity so if you suddenly spiked up with higher activity (high cash deposit frequency, lots of wires, etc.) they might be covering their ass by shutting you down.  I would still try to find out what specific term or condition you violated as it will be beneficial to you and the rest of the community.  Ask for it in writing, don't just talk to some customer service agent.

1ProphetnvP8ju2SxxRvVvyzCtTXDgLPJV
acoindr
Legendary

Activity: 1050

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:21:53 PM

I think the war on Bitcoins is only just starting, its a direct threat against BANKS. The only Bank that will support this is the "ANTI-BANKs" IE Credit Unions

I think banks make most of their money by giving out loans. Transaction fees probably don't count for that much. It's things like PayPal and credit card companies that can very easily become obsolete.

Not exactly... check out this article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2012/03/01/no-surprise-here-bank-of-america-looks-to-charge-more-fees/

The fees mentioned in todays Journal story are related to basic checking accounts; $6 to $9 a month for an “Essentials” account while other account options being tested in some states carry monthly charges of $9, $12, $15 and $25, the Journal reports. Customers can avoid the fees by maintaining minimum balances, using a credit card or taking a mortgage with Bank of America.

This shouldn’t come as shocking news to anyone paying attention to the banking industry recently which is struggling with flat or decreased revenue numbers. As a result,  many of them are looking for new ways to make money.
weex
Legendary

Activity: 1102
Merit: 1014

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:23:14 PM

USBank is fairly conservative and would not open an account of me a couple years ago when I told them I wanted to do currency exchange. If you're going to be regularly sending and receiving even moderate amounts of money, they're eventually going to want to see your AML and KYC bona fides. I would say it's better to be up front with them if you are opening an account but there's no guarantee that what a local branch manager will say will hold any sway at all when corporate's AML compliance team flags you. It's best to diversify bank wise and keep it to a personal level of exchange unless you're prepared to get licensed as necessary in the US/your state/your country.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
July 12, 2013, 11:32:23 PM

Not exactly... check out this article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/halahtouryalai/2012/03/01/no-surprise-here-bank-of-america-looks-to-charge-more-fees/

The fees mentioned in todays Journal story are related to basic checking accounts; $6 to $9 a month for an “Essentials” account while other account options being tested in some states carry monthly charges of $9, $12, $15 and $25, the Journal reports. Customers can avoid the fees by maintaining minimum balances, using a credit card or taking a mortgage with Bank of America.

This shouldn’t come as shocking news to anyone paying attention to the banking industry recently which is struggling with flat or decreased revenue numbers. As a result,  many of them are looking for new ways to make money.

Yep.... it's hard to make money on loans when the base rates are below 0.25% per year.

razorfishsl

Activity: 399
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 02:46:23 AM

here is what i got. it doesn say much. So when i called bank asking what rules i broke they told I was buying bitcoins . I didnt tell bank i was using it to buy bitcoins just ecurrencies. Somehow they find out
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/106526372/letter.jpg

What sorts of transactions were you doing related to bitcoins?
all i was doing is arbitrage. buying in one place sell them in other

Its called money laundering...... you need a license and a clear  COC

High Quality USB Hubs for Bitcoin miners
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=560003
cp1

Activity: 616

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 02:52:32 AM

This is why I'm terrified to use my bank account to buy bitcoins.  I know this guy was doing a lot of transactions, but if they closed down my account it would be terrible.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
Pale Phoenix

Activity: 420

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:00:40 AM

Its called money laundering...... you need a license and a clear  COC

What??? Arbitrage does not, in any way, equal money laundering. Christ, has everyone been brainwashed?

Anon136
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:07:24 AM

This is why I'm terrified to use my bank account to buy bitcoins.  I know this guy was doing a lot of transactions, but if they closed down my account it would be terrible.

why? you could just move to a different bank.

Rep Thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=381041
If one can not confer upon another a right which he does not himself first possess, by what means does the state derive the right to engage in behaviors from which the public is prohibited?
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:12:39 AM

Moving to a different bank isn't an easy task.

Guide to armory offline install on USB key:  https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=241730.0
fenican

Activity: 1394
Merit: 505

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:14:05 AM

This sounds wholly inaccurate.   It is perfectly legal to buy or sell bitcoins using a bank account.  Coinbase does tends of thousands of transactions every day.

Can you post the letter from the bank?

Must be more involved here.
QuantumQrack

Activity: 337

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:14:29 AM

This is actually pretty important.  Does anybody know of a list of bitcoin friendly banks?  i.e. Ones with a large amount of branches?

In my experience it is the smaller institutions that will give you less trouble.  I couldn't care less that my credit union doesn't have any branches outside of my state.  They refund all ATM fees anyway.

If you do business on localbitcoins.com, it is nice to have a large number of branches, since people across the U.S. for instance can pretty much deposit cash in a local branch that is U.S. Bank for example.
notme
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:25:57 AM

This sounds wholly inaccurate.   It is perfectly legal to buy or sell bitcoins using a bank account.  Coinbase does tends of thousands of transactions every day.

He was moving thousands of dollars through is personal accounts to do arbitrage across exchanges.  You should at least talk to your branch manager before starting this kind of activity.

Littleshop
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1003

View Profile WWW
July 13, 2013, 03:28:43 AM

He was moving thousands of dollars through is personal accounts to do arbitrage across exchanges.  You should at least talk to your branch manager before starting this kind of activity.

Really.  Because using a bank as a bank is a bad thing.  But maybe he was using too many free wire transfers..... wait.... wire transfers are not free....

Ok.  I get it.  They were making too much money on him and wanted to stop. 

I could imagine if he was constantly moving money around for free, but not for fees.

notme
Legendary

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:34:00 AM

Really.  Because using a bank as a bank is a bad thing.  But maybe he was using too many free wire transfers..... wait.... wire transfers are not free....

Ok.  I get it.  They were making too much money on him and wanted to stop. 

I could imagine if he was constantly moving money around for free, but not for fees.

Banks fear the government more than the lust for extra money.  The make enough money as it is without risking invoking the wrath of the USG.

Torn

Activity: 108
Merit: 10

Free Dog to good home

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:34:15 AM

Fuck the bankers.  They are responsible for MOST OF THE misery in the world.  Follow the money trails.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Yes this! Fixed for you Smiley

T.

Will not trade sex for coins regardless of rumors! You may still attempt if you want.
cp1

Stop using branwallets

View Profile
July 13, 2013, 03:39:00 AM

Banks fear the government more than the lust for extra money.  The make enough money as it is without risking invoking the wrath of the USG.

Banks fear the government and aren't greedy?  We're talking about the US here.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: