Bitcoin Forum
June 24, 2024, 07:01:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How can developers make a decent return for their work in crypto currency  (Read 2380 times)
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 05:14:21 AM

And I'm sorry, which coin did you create?

UKB, CDN, MBC, GMC, GRF, UNS, NKL (see http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html) and did some of the coding and prototype-trying for Unthinkingbit's DeVCoin, prototyped in what ended up as GRP.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
iGotSpots
Legendary

Activity: 2548
Merit: 1054

CPU Web Mining 🕸️ on webmining.io

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 05:15:01 AM

UKB, CDN, MBC, GMC, GRF, UNS, NKL (see http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html) and did some of the coding and prototype-trying for Unthinkingbit's DeVCoin.

-MarkM-

I knew I liked this guy for a reason

Hydroponica

Activity: 182
Merit: 100

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:26:52 AM

UKB, CDN, MBC, GMC, GRF, UNS, NKL (see http://galaxies.mygamesonline.org/digitalisassets.html) and did some of the coding and prototype-trying for Unthinkingbit's DeVCoin.

-MarkM-

Stop acting like you understood a fucking word he said, fucking carpet cleaning retard

mercSuey

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:27:27 AM

My issue is the lack of formality from these clonecoins.  For instance, when Digicoin was released and we asked Baritus why 5 confirmations was enough and his only answer was "because of my tests".  And then he supposedly was working on a paper to publish the details as to why. It's in the first page of posts of the digicoin release thread if you want to check it for yourself.  But guess what, no paper has yet to be released.  Baritus is also the same developer who was blatantly mining other coins by contract during the first days of digicoin's release, when arguably 'his' coin is most vulnerable and would thus benefit from additional trusted nodes/miners.

Another issue is the anonymity of devs.  We can see who Gavin, Wtogami, Garzik, and other people are.  They're not just a string of characters or an avatar in a forum.  It's all about accountability.  These ghost-clonecoin-devs premine and claim it's for development and yet we all know we can't do a damn thing when the dev disappears.  This is part of the frustration when we see a coin has been premined.

You won't be able to satisfy everyone regarding the premine vs no-premine debate.  But you want to lessen the backlash of a 1% premine or block subsidy to the devs?  Then don't just be a forum avatar.  Post a CV and resume.  Post your Linkedin/Facebook/Google+ page.  Post a public portfolio.  Dare to post a (legit) phone number on the coin's website.  Dare to show us you are not afraid to be held accountable.

I had my google+ page as a signature but removed it because I got too many people pm'ing me.  But when I release my project to the public later this summer, I won't just be a forum avatar.  You'll be able to knock on my door ask me a question...

-Merc

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:32:26 AM

My issue is the lack of formality from these clonecoins.  For instance, when Digicoin was released and we asked Baritus why 5 confirmations was enough and his only answer was "because of my tests".  And then he supposedly was working on a paper to publish the details as to why. It's in the first page of posts of the digicoin release thread if you want to check it for yourself.  But guess what, no paper has yet to be released.  Baritus is also the same developer who was blatantly mining other coins by contract during the first days of digicoin's release, when arguably 'his' coin is most vulnerable and would thus benefit from additional trusted nodes/miners.

Another issue is the anonymity of devs.  We can see who Gavin, Wtogami, Garzik, and other people are.  They're not just a string of characters or an avatar in a forum.  It's all about accountability.  These ghost-clonecoin-devs premine and claim it's for development and yet we all know we can't do a damn thing when the dev disappears.  This is part of the frustration when we see a coin has been premined.

You won't be able to satisfy everyone regarding the premine vs no-premine debate.  But you want to lessen the backlash of a 1% premine or block subsidy to the devs?  Then don't just be a forum avatar.  Post a CV and resume.  Post your Linkedin/Facebook/Google+ page.  Post a public portfolio.  Dare to post a (legit) phone number on the coin's website.  Dare to show us you are not afraid to be held accountable.

I had my google+ page as a signature but removed it because I got too many people pm'ing me.  But when I release my project to the public later this summer, I won't just be a forum avatar.  You'll be able to knock on my door ask me a question...

-Merc

That is quite possibly, the stupidest idea, I've ever heard. I have been threatened, more than once, by fucking freaks on these forums. Sure, no problem, I'll give them my phone number and home address, so some teenage fag, full of angst, can call me, or show up on my families door step.

iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 05:34:46 AM

-MarkM-

Stop acting like you understood a fucking word he said, fucking carpet cleaning retard

It's ok. You're just mad that I'm getting rich while you sit on your fat ass. I'm used to jealousy, but you take it to a whole new level

iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 05:35:33 AM

-Merc

That is quite possibly, the stupidest idea, I've ever heard. I have been threatened, more than once, by fucking freaks on these forums. Sure, no problem, I'll give them my phone number and home address, so some teenage fag, full of angst, can call me, or show up on my families door step.

Careful guys, we've got an internet tough guy. In before you post more pictures showing how tough you are. I really hope your family doesn't realize what an ignorant asshole you are. I would be embarrassed

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:36:53 AM

-MarkM-

It's ok. You're just mad that I'm getting rich while you sit on your fat ass. I'm used to jealousy, but you take it to a whole new level

I'm a electronics / communications tech in the military, and, I've already posted pictures of myself. Lets see a picture of you, there, "winner"

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:37:44 AM

-Merc

Careful guys, we've got an internet tough guy. In before you post more pictures showing how tough you are. I really hope your family doesn't realize what an ignorant asshole you are. I would be embarrassed

WTF are you talking about? I don't threaten people on the internet, idiot Roll Eyes

You lost all credibility around here, when you made that Emo, attention seeking post of yours

iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 05:38:27 AM

-MarkM-

I'm a electronics / communications tech in the military, and, I've already posted pictures of myself. Lets see a picture of you, there, "winner"

Yea, I'm going to post a picture of myself proving how tough I am to a literal nobody who means absolutely nothing to me lol. Since you want to talk all this shit, you would think that maybe you would take the time to realize we are a veteran owned business. Take that how you want to. Real men don't need to act tough on a website. I thought you would have learned that by now

Keep releasing your shitcoins and making your $20 here $20 there. I'll continue to make a significant income in the industry you seem to think is nothing but dirty old men

Hydroponica

fml

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:40:09 AM

-MarkM-

Yea, I'm going to post a picture of myself proving how tough I am to a literal nobody who means absolutely nothing to me lol. Since you want to talk all this shit, you would think that maybe you would take the time to realize we are a veteran owned business. Take that how you want to

Yeah, I know how that works, you got a paper cut on duty, now the government gives you tons of tax payers money, to keep your business afloat. I guess you really are getting rich Roll Eyes

mercSuey

Activity: 364
Merit: 250

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 05:40:23 AM

-Merc

I didn't say your number.  I said 'a' number...

But it's exactly your unprofessional reaction that shows your true colors.

I've been around these forums long enough to know the reputation of many users.  So I know you're not liked.  You reap what you sow.  You can't or aren't willing to prove you can be accountable, then why the fuck am I talking to you?  Why should anyone give a flying fuck?
iGotSpots
Legendary

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 05:40:59 AM

-MarkM-

Yea, I'm going to post a picture of myself proving how tough I am to a literal nobody who means absolutely nothing to me lol. Since you want to talk all this shit, you would think that maybe you would take the time to realize we are a veteran owned business. Take that how you want to

Yeah, I know how that works, you got a paper cut on duty, now the government gives you tons of tax payers money, to keep your business afloat. I guess you really are getting rich Roll Eyes

If only you realized how stupid you are making yourself look...I think I'm finally learning what it feels like to have actual pity for someone. Like...you don't even make me mad. I just feel sorry for you...

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 07:13:53 AM

And, we'll fall back to the ussual, Bitcoin, which everyone loves so much, was pre mined to shit

Except that it wasn't.  Other than that you are spot on.
barwizi
Legendary

Activity: 882
Merit: 1000

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 08:40:15 AM

Nonsense, I will simply make myself a few super blocks and hard code my addy for 1%  and then be the workhorse for my coin until its popular, I developed it, I worked it so i gets to eat!! Problem? Make your own damn  coin and support it.

I did a free one and I'm happy with it, now I wanna get  paid.
AgentME

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 09:45:17 AM

Nonsense, I will simply make myself a few super blocks and hard code my addy for 1%  and then be the workhorse for my coin until its popular, I developed it, I worked it so i gets to eat!! Problem? Make your own damn  coin and support it.

I did a free one and I'm happy with it, now I wanna get  paid.
"Now launching: PayMeCoin! This is the coin to use if you want me to take a cut out of your money!"
stbgefltc

Activity: 154

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 10:03:27 AM

Is this a hypothetical, or a feature you omitted from mentioning in the description of your Noirbits currency?

No such thing in Noirbits source... It used to be a foocoin clone, but I've started working on it, and am planning to implement some features.

Also, to be honest, what development work is there on Noirbits besides changing some Litecoin parameters? I feel like I'm the only one not drinking the clonecoin kool-aid around here.

Well, my work. Have a look @ the commit diffs for Noirbits, you'll see there's work involved, mostly on difficulty and hashrate calculations. Nothing too fancy for the time being, but as I said above, I'm gonna push in new features once I get more comfortable with the source.

FreeTrade
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1030

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 03:10:18 PM

Right now the rewards are just slanted way too much to the miners and not enough to the developers.

You're right about this - coin creators way overestimate the importance of miners, and GPU miners in particular. Creating a coin for the benefit of miners is like creating a university with the purpose of employing janitors. Janitors are necessary, and you want to create a good situation for them, but they are there to serve the University, not the other way around.

Ideally you want a wide distribution of low intensity miners, not a small number of high intenisty GPU farms.

And pre-mine is just way too much guesswork.  You could pre-mine way too much, or not nearly enough. 

Pre-mining is generally a bad idea. You've got to open source your code . . so another developer can just remove the pre-mine, relaunch the coin, and immediately have a superior coin that includes all of your innovations, but without your pre-mine.

I don't think you can just hard code 10 addresses though for the developers.  You would need to change those addresses over time to protect the private keys.  Maybe we can come up with some other mechanism for making this happen, but something needs to happen, otherwise we are just going to be left with a bunch of worthless abandoned coins.

Yes - and, seriously, I think I have this problem solved. Check out my previous post.

Membercoin - Layer 1 Coin used for the member.cash decentralized social network.
10% Interest On All Balances. Browser and Solo Mining. 100% Distributed to Users and Developers.
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
July 14, 2013, 03:23:16 PM

You don't have to open source, it is BSD license.

RUC for example the only code I have been able to find is way the heck out of date, they have not been releasing code for a long long time as far as I know.

Which of course means they are not decentralised, they are centralised; no one else can keep the bugfixes etc coming if they choose not to, nor even check what they are really doing under the hood.

But its legal, and every once in a while rumours are briefly encountered indicating some idiot(s) somewhere actually use it.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
fendlestick

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

View Profile
July 14, 2013, 04:41:36 PM

Perhaps we are stating from the wrong assumption.  Doesn't a software developer make money from selling or licensing their software? If your coin is so much better than the free alternatives, charge $ for the software. Then you will get paid for developing software. If it's not better than free alternatives and no-one buys your software then at least you know.

The problem is that BTC set a precedent that the software would be free, and in reality it's the "best" coin out there. Trying to charge for something that has a better free alternative will always be very difficult.  People will surely ask "why should I give you money when I can use a different coin and not pay anyone".

I would suggest if you can't sell the coin do a pre-mine and dump when the value is acceptable to as a payment for your work. New coins need marketing people more than developers. The question should be how can I make money from marketing my coin.

20% OFF All Bondage - www.cryptosextoys.com
Affiliates Get 10% - Join
Pages: « 1 2 [3] 4 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: